OFFICIAL Harvard Medical School Class of '09 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CarleneM

patent pending
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've always wanted to start one of these official threads....

let's get this party started. if you are definitely going (I know I am) post and if you are unsure, post as well. I'll be in the new pathway program.

also, for those not too excited about living in vanderbilt hall, i know a lot about different boston neighborhoods and the commutes associated with them so definitely shoot any questions my way about housing. you can get a great place for the same price as vanderbilt hall. boston real estate is pricey but you can get some great deals. I live in central square in an awesome 2br apartment and only pay $600 for my share, which is what vanderbilt costs, i think.

Members don't see this ad.

OMG CARLENE!!! Kick-ass, that is SO awesome!!! Who needs Columbia wait-list now, eh? Rock on ;) ...

thanks!!!! I already sent in my card to decline the duke alternate list and will write dean frantz a nice little withdrawal letter from the waitlist tomorrow. I was so discouraged after those two events last week but it goes to show, you never know where you'll get in and where you won't...

Members don't see this ad :)
OK I am still an unsure, but ecstatic to be a part of this thread. Lets get the peops in boston together sometime in the future

I just got the big envelope in the mail today...I got into HMS!!! :D
It's like my life is so surreal now, this is one of the best days if not THE best day of my life!!!!

I'm looking forward to meeting y'all!

congrats FlyingYeti! I just got a huge bouquet of orchids at work (sent by my parents) and am still on cloud nine. :love:

Hey, GhungrooGuy here! 99% sure I'm going. New Pathway, and joint MD-MBA.
Also in the Boston area...let's get together... :)

GhungrooGuy said:

congratulation to you all! Hey, did you also apply for MD-MBA program?

I am in!!! I'm pretttty sure I'm going, when I visited I just LOVED it. Congrats to you all as well :)

Congratulations on Harvard everyone, thats awesome.

I have a question that has been killing me, and I wondered if someone could answer it for me. There is a guy at my undergrad who is an all around jackass who claimed (in Nov. 04) to be holding M.D. seats at both Harvard and UT Southwestern for Fall 05. Later in February 2005, he announced that he had decided on Harvard, and was officially accepted. This sounds like a load of crap to me, but I wanted to find out for sure. I really didn't think HMS sends acceptances that early, I know UTSW doesn't.

Thanks!

@DualSuperLead: Yea, that story sounds like trashtalk to me, since Harvard barely interviewed anyone before November. Still, if the guy is an all-around jackass, going to Harvard won't do him too much good. His life will still suck in the end :cool: .

Btw, why is it that most non-rolling schools have an "official countdown" thread, but Harvard has a status change thread instead. I hope not everyone at Harvard med is this neurotic :eek:

Don't worry, we aren't. At least I don't think we are! I already posted on the "neurotic" thread, but I wanted to offer to give advice to people who are trying to decide whether or not to come to HMS -- I'm a 1st year in the new pathway. Feel free to IM or PM me. I love it and I'm sure you all will too!
~Debbie

Lilmspiano said:
Don't worry, we aren't. At least I don't think we are! I already posted on the "neurotic" thread, but I wanted to offer to give advice to people who are trying to decide whether or not to come to HMS -- I'm a 1st year in the new pathway. Feel free to IM or PM me. I love it and I'm sure you all will too!
~Debbie

Thanks for coming on to offer your perspective debbie! One thing I was wondering was about getting a laptop. I really want a tablet pc- would that be useful for lectures? Does anyone in your class have one?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yay! I'm bound for New Pathways! So excited!

Hi and Congrats to all of you.

Had a quick favor to ask of any one of you if you don't mind -- are you able to log-in now that the financial aid server is back up.

Thanks a lot.

Wow. I am so glad to be joining this thread!
I will be entering the NP program in Sept.
:D

Now that I've calmed down a bit and the reality of going to HMS has started to set in, I have some real questions:
-Do they pay for second look weekend by any chance?
-Are all the tutorial type classes only with students in your society?
-About what hours are NP students in class?
-What percentage of first year students live in Vandy? I thought I recalled ~80? Would you really recommend this?
-Whose going on those pre-orientation trips? Sounds like fun!
-I'm a research nut. Is it realistic to try to get involved in research right away? I'm looking up labs on the web right now and the options are overwhelming!
-What cell phone companies work well in Vandy? I've got Sprint right now.

Thanks!

Congrats to all those accepted!! Since I didn't apply i didn't even realize Harvard acceptances were out..and it's already days ago. I thought this thread was going to be another joke. Congrats all...great job!

Hi, everyone! CandyApple here, the one who first started the HMS Status Page thread. :p (Sorry about that...at the time, I really thought my application had become incomplete and I wasn't going to be reviewed!)

I just got my acceptance letter/packet in the mail!!! OMG!!! I can't stop freaking out. :D I've never been so happy in my life! I will DEFINITELY be joining you guys at HMS come September...I can't wait to meet all of you!

Great questions, RunMimi...I had most of the same ones!

Okay, I have to go now...I can't get my fingers to type anymore! Have a great weekend! :love:

RunMimi said:
Now that I've calmed down a bit and the reality of going to HMS has started to set in, I have some real questions:
-What percentage of first year students live in Vandy? I thought I recalled ~80? Would you really recommend this?
-I'm a research nut. Is it realistic to try to get involved in research right away? I'm looking up labs on the web right now and the options are overwhelming!

Thanks!

Also, is there any merit-based scholarship available at Harvard?

RunMimi said:

Thanks!

I know that NP students are usually in class from 8 to either noon or one. Most people I have spoken with have lauded the quantity of unstructured time. I am debating the Vandy thing too. It is pretty cheap, but comprable stuff can be found with roommates in the area. Then again, walking across the street to class or downstairs to the gym might give a few more minutes precious sleep. I think doing research right away is totally achievable. If you are interested in doing any zfish work, pm me!!! Just about all companies work well in Vandy. Verizon particularly.

I got my NP acceptance letter today! So excited about the possibility of going to Harvard -- I'll be going to second look weekend in April (and celebrating my birthday there, apparently)... Still undecided on HMS, but it's definitely one of my top choices. I look forward to meeting everyone!!! (anyone know if harvard pays for flights to boston for second look?)

BTW, there are no merit scholarships available at Harvard. (and the financial aid isn't that great -- one of my biggest drawbacks)

what english courses did you acceptees take?? wondering if 2 semesters of writing is enough to count as english.

adoggie said:
what english courses did you acceptees take?? wondering if 2 semesters of writing is enough to count as english.

I'm pretty sure that if the courses are in the English or Humanities department, Harvard will accept them. I took one lit and one lit/writing (fresh engl) course...best of luck - are you applying this cycle?

GhungrooGuy said:

Congrats GhungrooGuy! A question - did you apply to HMS and HBS at the same time, or do you apply to HBS only after an HMS acceptance?

Congrats to all who have made it to Harvard. I am very excited myself, and it has been a great week! the acceptance letter was actually dated on my birthday :)

So is anyone choosing between NP and HST? What are the important things to know?

GhungrooGuy said:
check your PM :)

I am probably going to go on one of the pre-orientation trips- the community service one. At harvard, i did the first year urban program which was a pre-orientation thing and someone of my best friends (and roommates) from harvard came from that week so i'd highly recommend it.

I am definitely not going to live in Vandy. While it is a great option for some, you can get an apartment for the same price and there are lots of transportation options to HMS (including the free for students M2 shuttle that runs from harvard square to central square to mit to HMS in a 30 minute loop very frequently).

Regarding research- i'm planning on doing <10 hours/week with my current PI, depending on how my schedule works out. I bet some research can be fit in and its great to keep it up.

RunMimi said:

Thanks!

Does anyone have any UCSF vs. Harvard NP advice?
I just really want to go to both!
Thanks!

CarleneM said:
I've always wanted to start one of these official threads....

let's get this party started. if you are definitely going (I know I am) post and if you are unsure, post as well. I'll be in the new pathway program.

also, for those not too excited about living in vanderbilt hall, i know a lot about different boston neighborhoods and the commutes associated with them so definitely shoot any questions my way about housing. you can get a great place for the same price as vanderbilt hall. boston real estate is pricey but you can get some great deals. I live in central square in an awesome 2br apartment and only pay $600 for my share, which is what vanderbilt costs, i think.

Part of my healing process is making the following observation:

And I expressed sympathy and good will to those who not too long ago were miserable. I had hoped the favor would be returned in my hour of need. Alas! No! Instead, the party proceeds and we forget those who had nursed our pain a mere few days ago before Harvard happened. I just had to let this be known.

Thanks, Runmimi for the thoughtful PM. To the rest of you, enjoy Harvard. :mad:

sra26 said:
Thanks!

Cold Boston? Or sunny San Francisco?

For the past two weeks here in Northern CA, it's been warm and very comfortable, with an avergae temperature of 70F. Most of the winter time, its slighty colder (around 60F) and only partly sunny. :laugh:

But I'm biased. ;)

Come to Cali. :thumbup:

Congrats to everyone here for making it into HMS! :D

sra26 said:
Thanks!

Wow, that's a tough one! Maybe you will have an easier time contrasting the two after revisiting the schools. Harvard does that, right? Does UCSF? Maybe you can get a better feel for the atmosphere the students create and which one suits you best.

Sparky

Sparky Man said:
Wow, that's a tough one! Maybe you will have an easier time contrasting the two after revisiting the schools. Harvard does that, right? Does UCSF? Maybe you can get a better feel for the atmosphere the students create and which one suits you best.

Sparky

Congrats to those of you who have been accepted to HMS!!! I grew up in Boston (which is part of the reason I didn't apply to HMS...just need to be away from the city I may eventually settle down in). If you have any questions about the city, ask away. I can give you some tips about neighborhoods to live in (if you can't stand the thought of Vandy).

Also (this is not so altruistic), if you are holding Cornell acceptances and are sure you won't go there, please drop them like it's hot (I'm waitlisted there if you couldn't already tell). :D

Sparky Man said:

Sparky

Yes, UCSF also has an Accepted Students Weekend. Hopefully it won't fall on the same day as Harvard's like it did last year...
Anyway, congratulations and you won't go wrong with either school! Good luck making your decision.

Does anyone have thoughts/advice that would be helpful for choosing between NP and HST? I interviewed during winter break at HMS, and most students were home for break so I only received a few opinions about NP vs. HST.

hey everyone!

i'm new to this whole forum deal, but i came across this thread and thought i'd say g'day. i just got my acceptance for NP, and right now i'm just really thankful to be able to go to HMS - it's such a stellar school.

out of curiosity, are any of you international students or are you all U.S. citizens/residents? i'll inquire with the office later, but just wondering if any of you know the timeline for organizing visas etc.

congrats to those who were accepted, and comiserations to those who were overlooked during this application cycle. i'm excited to meet those of you who will be in boston!

have a good week!

Congrats to those who got in! Yea!
I also did and I'm absolutely ecstatic.

However, when making decisions, I think it's also helpful to hear about the negatives of a school. Please post some negatives you thought about the school.

I'll start:
-Its freaking cold
-The "T" sucks
-Rumors that you are not clinically trained very well

Jennifer25 said:
I'll start:
-Its freaking cold
-The "T" sucks
-Rumors that you are not clinically trained very well

I can't really argue with the weather criticism. New England weather ain't socal.
However, I disagree with the T being a reason not to come to HMS. Some lines on the T are slow and unreliable(notably, the B green line but that doesn't serve HMS/longwood so unless you plan on hanging out at Boston University, it shouldn't be a problem) but most are fine. If you lived off campus, there are a ton of buses serving the Longwood area and many are good, including the free to students M2 shuttle. A bigger problem would be the lack of parking in the Longwood area and parking situation in Boston in general. You aren't going to be driving to class the way you would at, say, Duke. I just got a car and am having a tough time finding a new apartment that has reasonably priced off street parking. You don't need a car in boston but if you have one, it can be challenging plus boston drivers are terrible.

When I was in Boston, I was very impressed by the T. It isn't as great as Chicago's subway system, but it sure beats most of the other cities (i.e. New York, Philadelphia, DC). The only downside is that the slower green line is the one serving the Longwood Medical area.

As for clinical education, Harvard may not be the best, but I have heard that it's quite good--that is HMS grads perform well in residencies. Whether this is due to the caliber of the student body or due to the school's education is unclear.

krelian said:
When I was in Boston, I was very impressed by the T. It isn't as great as Chicago's subway system, but it sure beats most of the other cities (i.e. New York, Philadelphia, DC). The only downside is that the slower green line is the one serving the Longwood Medical area.

As for clinical education, Harvard may not be the best, but I have heard that it's quite good--that is HMS grads perform well in residencies. Whether this is due to the caliber of the student body or due to the school's education is unclear.

The reason the Green line gets a bad rap is that much of it goes over streets rather than strictly being underground. However, the D branch of the green line, which serves Longwood, does not go over streets (or if it does, it is just a very little bit compared to others) and is therefore pretty good. The red line is the fastest of all the lines but I have never had a problem with the D green line. I guess one complaint would be that the T doesn't run overnight and stops at 1am on weekends. This could be a problem for the party animals out there and for some clerkships 3rd and 4th year if you are getting out really late.

I went to school in Boston for 4 years. I lived in NYC for a summer. I currently live in DC (for the past 7 months) and I've used the systems in Philly. Based on experience, I can honestly say that the "T" sucks! It's slow, it's inefficient, it's dirty, and it's old. Now that's a subjective opinion. Objective: The "T" is the oldest subway system in the United States. The "metro" in DC is the newest and by far the best. Take what you will.

But enough of the ranting about the "T."

I'm looking for negatives about Harvard. What would make people reconsider going there? Current med students at HMS, feel free to respond.

For me personally, I'm not a big fan of Boston. I feel that it's very segregated--similar to Chicago. The people aren't as nice, and the weather is cold. But, that's based on the location. What about the school? Is there anything about the program that would make one do a double take?

Thanks in advance for any input.

bhp said:
Also, is there any merit-based scholarship available at Harvard?

I was wondering about this too... Does anyone know? I know that they were pretty unhelpful when it came to undergrad, but wasn't sure about the med school. And I'm POOR....

rjphila said:
I was wondering about this too... Does anyone know? I know that they were pretty unhelpful when it came to undergrad, but wasn't sure about the med school. And I'm POOR....

they do not offer merit-based scholarships, only need based.
for undergrad, they were great and gave me the best financial aid out of all the schools i was accepted at. i am hoping the med school is the same.

CarleneM said:
they do not offer merit-based scholarships, only need based.
for undergrad, they were great and gave me the best financial aid out of all the schools i was accepted at. i am hoping the med school is the same.

Thanks CarleneM. I hope that you are right about the financial aid. <sigh> I really would like to go, but my 2nd choice school is giving me some scholarship help. Is anyone else in this boat? If so, how'd you choose? I'm so torn about what to do!

I recently received an acceptance to HMS, too, so I'm excited but I am a little worried b/c of somethign one of the med students told my group of interviewees. These may not be her exact words, but it was something along the lines of, "Yeah, I mean, we don't do as well on the boards as people from other schools, and we graduate not knowing nearly as much, but because we went to Harvard, we become leaders in the field anyway." Anyone heard anything to confirm/dismantle this viewpoint?

On the issue of the T, the big complaint is that the entire city shuts down at like midnight in terms of public transportation. I'm in boston right now for my undergrad and they're going to be getting rid of the night owl (late night bus service) since its losing money. That leaves you with M2 as your only option and I dont know how late that runs.

Does anyone have comments on HST vs. NP? I, like several others, am hoping for some advice.

Quick rundown of HST vs. NP from the perspective of an HST student:

HST - less free time, fast-paced, traditional lecture-format with some tutorial, research-focused/science-based curriculum, less patient-interaction in first two-years, four classes per semester, required research thesis

NP - tutorial/case-based curriculum, slower-paced, emphasis on cultural-sensitivity and social medicine perspectives, more patient interaction in first 2 years, block-scheduling (one class at a time), and of course, more free time (to study...) :laugh:

My impression is that HST tries to prepare students more for careers as academic/research physicians while NP tries to prepare students more for careers as public policy leaders (ie. World Health Organization) etc. (NOTE: This is a very general way of looking at their teaching styles/curriculums and of course, one can go into any medical career field from either program.)

Remember that for the latter and most important half of med school, ie. the wards, you will be in the exact same program!

** My best piece of advice is to go to revisit and talk to as many students as you can to get a sense of the personality/style of each program and the types of students who enjoy or dislike what they're doing. Go with your gut instinct for what feels like a better fit for you. **

On the issue of finances, I found that HMS gave me a much more generous financial package than other schools (putting aside merit-based scholarships). If any one has questions on whether to attend HST, I'd be happy to answer those for you via PM.

Good luck!
SV

first time post. i'm a harvard undergrad senior with a half dozen or so friends at HMS, both NP and HST. from those who are ms1 to those finishing up and to those in residency already.

CalicoKat said:
"Yeah, I mean, we don't do as well on the boards as people from other schools, and we graduate not knowing nearly as much, but because we went to Harvard, we become leaders in the field anyway." Anyone heard anything to confirm/dismantle this viewpoint?

i think is a general sentiment shared by many at HMS. harvard refuses to publish board scores (not that it really should be the ultimate metric of how good an education is), and most of my friends generally agree that hms students don't do as well as others, and have to cram like it's nobody's business before the test. my friends in HST seem to be especially annoyed by this. one of them felt "cheated" in his words. obviously hms students are very motivated and accomplished and can "get it done" when they have to, but i think most my friends are unhappy that it's SO laissez-faire to the point where they feel kind of screwed at times. but then again they have so much flexibility and free time to pursue other things. overall the other major complaint is the quality of teaching. faculty is world famous, but obviously this does not always correlate with being a good teacher. often my friends were blown away by who was lecturing to them, but generally underwhelmed or even annoyed by how they were being taught. granted there are faculty that are both famous and incredible teachers (paul farmer comes to mind). also hms in the middle of a curricular overhaul, with the class of 2009 being the last class on the old system (last i heard). the basic changes are described in this article (http://www.thecrimson.com/article.aspx?ref=505212). that said, the hospital system is phenomenal, and the reputation is second to none.

re: boston. green line IS pretty terrible. especially during baseball season, when traffic is completely grid-locked by the afternoon rush hour. i've been stuck on longwood more times than i can count (one time i waited an hour for m2, gave up, waited for green line, wondered why it wasn't coming, called the T people on a whim, and was told that i would have to walk 10 blocks to the stop 3 stops down because the T wasn't running any further because of the gridlock). both D and E lines of the green line ARE above ground. also, T stops at 12:30am approx on weekends, m2 stops at midnight and doesn't run on sundays and has limited saturday service. and most bars are closed by 1 (a few at 2) due to antiquated puritan laws. that said, there are wonderful places to live in somerville and cambridge, particularly porter/inman/davis/central square areas, which are far away from campus, but definitely cheaper and in my opinion more fun than downtown boston. my 2 cents.

Thanks summervacation and theeleganttouch for your inputs :thumbup: . About the rotation change that is being planned for the 2010 class, I heard a lot about it from the tour guide during the interview, and I'm glad our class won't have to deal with it. It sounds like a great idea, but there's many downsides, and it's going to take at least a few years to iron out the kinks.

Can anyone comment on PBL at HMS (how is it handled, whether you like it or not and why, etc.)? From what I heard about PBL at UPitt, Northwestern, and Cornell, it doesn't seem too appealing. In particular, UPitt students complained that PBL was a waste of time b/c it wasn't well integrated with the lectures. I'm hoping this is not the case at every school.

I have been traveling to the longwood medical area every day for 1.75 years and nearly every day for 2.5 years before that. It's really fine. Yes, it gets gridlocked around red sox games that are starting in the evening and if there has been a huge snowstorm and this means that buses and the E line get gridlocked as well. The D line, while above ground, does not go on streets but rather behind houses and businesses and therefore is not gridlocked. crowded, but not gridlocked. So, you just have to plan your commute wisely and the vast majority of days it is going to be fine anyway. The bottom line is that worries about public transportation should not dissuade you from coming.

The board score thing and teaching quality are more legit concerns, it seems. I wonder how much of a big difference there is between the HMS average and the Penn average (I know Penn has the highest average in the country).

theeleganttouch said:
first time post. i'm a harvard undergrad senior with a half dozen or so friends at HMS, both NP and HST. from those who are ms1 to those finishing up and to those in residency already.

i think is a general sentiment shared by many at HMS. harvard refuses to publish board scores (not that it really should be the ultimate metric of how good an education is), and most of my friends generally agree that hms students don't do as well as others, and have to cram like it's nobody's business before the test. my friends in HST seem to be especially annoyed by this. one of them felt "cheated" in his words. obviously hms students are very motivated and accomplished and can "get it done" when they have to, but i think most my friends are unhappy that it's SO laissez-faire to the point where they feel kind of screwed at times. but then again they have so much flexibility and free time to pursue other things. overall the other major complaint is the quality of teaching. faculty is world famous, but obviously this does not always correlate with being a good teacher. often my friends were blown away by who was lecturing to them, but generally underwhelmed or even annoyed by how they were being taught. granted there are faculty that are both famous and incredible teachers (paul farmer comes to mind). also hms in the middle of a curricular overhaul, with the class of 2009 being the last class on the old system (last i heard). the basic changes are described in this article (http://www.thecrimson.com/article.aspx?ref=505212). that said, the hospital system is phenomenal, and the reputation is second to none.

re: boston. green line IS pretty terrible. especially during baseball season, when traffic is completely grid-locked by the afternoon rush hour. i've been stuck on longwood more times than i can count (one time i waited an hour for m2, gave up, waited for green line, wondered why it wasn't coming, called the T people on a whim, and was told that i would have to walk 10 blocks to the stop 3 stops down because the T wasn't running any further because of the gridlock). both D and E lines of the green line ARE above ground. also, T stops at 12:30am approx on weekends, m2 stops at midnight and doesn't run on sundays and has limited saturday service. and most bars are closed by 1 (a few at 2) due to antiquated puritan laws. that said, there are wonderful places to live in somerville and cambridge, particularly porter/inman/davis/central square areas, which are far away from campus, but definitely cheaper and in my opinion more fun than downtown boston. my 2 cents.