OFFICIAL Havent gotten any interviews yet - But trying to stay positive thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kremlar

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I see a bunch of us (those with no interviews or acceptances yet) spread out on the forum asking if we still have a fighting chance, while we scroll through the 3800 official I got accepted to this school threads, so I thought we could all collaborate here and share any good news with each other as it comes in. CONGRATS to those who got accepted, you've worked hard and deserve it!! Hopefully some of us here in this thread will be able to join you soon in the celebration. To my fellow SDNers who are still stuck in the dark, hang in there. Were not sunk yet, its not over till every school we applied to says its over.

Arizona - Rejected
UOP - Under Review
USC - Under Review
Uconn - Under Review
Nova - Under Review
New Jersey - Under Review
Columbia - Rejected
NYU - Under Review
Buffalo - Under Review
Stony - Under Review
Penn - Under Review
Temple - Rejected

Members don't see this ad.

I really hope the best for you guys. I want everyone here to achieve their dream. Best of luck to you!

Good thread
don't you mind sharing your stats please?
I am in the same boat, actually have 2 interviews coming up... but nothing more than that...

Kremlar said:
I see a bunch of us (those with no interviews or acceptances yet) spread out on the forum asking if we still have a fighting chance, while we scroll through the 3800 official I got accepted to this school threads, so I thought we could all collaborate here and share any good news with each other as it comes in. CONGRATS to those who got accepted, you've worked hard and deserve it!! Hopefully some of us here in this thread will be able to join you soon in the celebration. To my fellow SDNers who are still stuck in the dark, hang in there. Were not sunk yet, its not over till every school we applied to says its over.

Arizona - Rejected
UOP - Under Review
USC - Under Review
Uconn - Under Review
Nova - Under Review
Columbia - Rejected
NYU - Under Review
Buffalo - Under Review
Stony - Under Review
Penn - Under Review
Temple - Rejected

Members don't see this ad :)
headsup said:
Good thread
don't you mind sharing your stats please?
I am in the same boat, actually have 2 interviews coming up... but nothing more than that...

AADSAS:
Overall GPA : 3.5 (Dont ask...My gpa got murdered by one bad semester that I had at a community college almost 10 years ago..!! Otherwise my GPA would have been a 3.87 overall, I retook a class and AADSAS didnt replace the grade, like my college did, they factored both of them in)
Sciences : 3.5
BCP : 3.9

DAT:
A/A : 16 (OUCHHHHHH) (Instant application Kryptonite)
PAT : 19

Anyone else care to share??

Man, your GPA is SOLID, I would have felt much more comfortable with your GPA. It's the DAT that could use improvement.

Kremlar said:

Arizona - Rejected
UOP - Under Review
USC - Under Review
Uconn - Under Review
Nova - Under Review
Columbia - Rejected
NYU - Under Review
Buffalo - Under Review
Stony - Under Review
Penn - Under Review
Temple - Rejected

Here's what I have:

BU- Under Review
Harvard- Under Review
Uconn- Under Review
Buffalo- Under Review
Columbia- Under Review
NYU- Under Review
Stonybrook-Under Review
UPitt- Under Review
Nova- Under Review
UOP- Under Review
Marquette- Under Review
Kentucky- Under Review

Science G.P.A.- 3.2
Overall G.P.A.- 3.45

DAT-
17-academic
18-science
19-PAT

All schools had my complete application in their office on September 1st.

brent25 said:
Here's what I have:

BU- Under Review
Harvard- Under Review
Uconn- Under Review
Buffalo- Under Review
Columbia- Under Review
NYU- Under Review
Stonybrook-Under Review
UPitt- Under Review
Nova- Under Review
UOP- Under Review
Marquette- Under Review
Kentucky- Under Review

Science G.P.A.- 3.2
Overall G.P.A.- 3.45

DAT-
17-academic
18-science
19-PAT

It wouldn't hurt to call them and ask why it's taking so long...

bonhee said:
It wouldn't hurt to call them and ask why it's taking so long...

Or consider retaking the DAT. I believe the national avg is 18 this year. Take it from someone who has been in your shoes.

HD

hockeydentist said:
Or consider retaking the DAT. I believe the national avg is 18 this year. Take it from someone who has been in your shoes.

HD

Hey, I am in the same boat as you pretty much. I only got one interview at temple, a rejection from case, and nothing from anyone else.

brent25 said:
Here's what I have:

Science G.P.A.- 3.2
Overall G.P.A.- 3.45

DAT-
17-academic
18-science
19-PAT

Im pretty much neck and neck with you Brent, academic wise... Your Dat is slightly higher, my gpa is slightly higher, were both from NY, and neither of us have any interviews...lol... KEEP IN TOUCH.... My application was mailed out Sept 15th Btw....

Kremlar said:
Im pretty much neck and neck with you Brent, academic wise... Your Dat is slightly higher, my gpa is slightly higher, were both from NY, and neither of us have any interviews...lol... KEEP IN TOUCH.... My application was mailed out Sept 15th Btw....

its the dat academic average. my advice..its not a hard test. take kaplan and then take the dats again. if you can pull 19 or better or better yet a 20+ academic average then you're all set. goodluck

Hey guys I feel for you. I was in the same boat last year and know what its like to be rejected or under review until May when they finally give myou your status (a denial). Don't give up now though. Be persistent. Call tyhem, email them once a week, whatever it takes. I would recommend the 17's and below to retake and slam that test down hard. I had two 16's the first time I applied in QR and OC, but retook and did much better. If you don't get in then network with the admissions guys and get to be good friends with them, word of mouth helps.

Hello all
Well I am trying to stay positive too so I'll join and share my stat:
Overall GPA: 3.45
science: 3.44
DAT: 21/23/20
so far just have 2 interviews, and they are not my top choices...
everything else is under review!
app mailed out Sept 26

Members don't see this ad :)
1992Corolla said:
Hey guys I feel for you. I was in the same boat last year and know what its like to be rejected or under review until May when they finally give myou your status (a denial). Don't give up now though. Be persistent. Call tyhem, email them once a week, whatever it takes. I would recommend the 17's and below to retake and slam that test down hard. I had two 16's the first time I applied in QR and OC, but retook and did much better. If you don't get in then network with the admissions guys and get to be good friends with them, word of mouth helps.

I just have a question? Exactly how do you network with the admissions guys??? I wouldnt even know where to begin doing that... Being in this situation sucks.. I want to retake my DAT for Jan 6th, but im just not sure if I should.. I mean, I honestly think I can do better, but have little prep time.. and I dont know if it will even make a difference at this point for this cycle.. God I wish I had some answers..

kremlar, thanks for making this thread!
i've told my story before, but here it is again: i submitted my aadsas in mid-july, took the dats in mid sept, had problems with my LOR (damn prof!) so my applic was officially complete at many schools in oct/nov (i know...it sucks).
Cum gpa=3.19
sci gpa=2.89
dat=19/18

arizona=rejected
boston=under review
creighton=just added
case=rejected
tufts=under review
usc=under review
penn=rejected (just yesterday!)
uw=under review
ucsf=rejected
uop=under review
michigan=under review
loma linda=rejected (back in aug)

so folks, that puts me at 5 rejections all pre-interview, 0 interviews, and 0 hope. i hate this... :(

headsup said:
Hello all
Well I am trying to stay positive too so I'll join and share my stat:
Overall GPA: 3.45
science: 3.44
DAT: 21/23/20
so far just have 2 interviews, and they are not my top choices...
everything else is under review!
app mailed out Sept 26

I think your in pretty good shape headsup... I wouldnt be worried at all if I were you...

Networking is e-mailing and saying stuff like
"this is my number one, I know a lot of people say that, but this is why: yada yada yada"
"I know my scores have this and this, but here is where I have improved"
"Hey i've had a couple of interviews/acceptances (white lies... :D ) and still really want to come out and see the school"
etc.
Show them your interested.
If no one bites then be persisitent. Call and leave messages, whatever.
If you're rejected, then FIRST don't worry about it. I know some guys last year that were rejected along side me and they were DEVASTATED. It changed the attitude they had and they became depressed and unhopeful and it hurt them even more next time around. Be OPTIMISTIC!
If rejected, get on the horn again. Email and ask:
"what can I do to improve? What were my stats like compared to those that interviewed or matriculated? Were my LOR good/sucky, how about my AADSAS essay. Get together with a local college pre health advisor and ask em for some help, they've done it before. Then get your nose in the books and ROCK the DAT! Even an 18 is good, but the higher the better. Your GPA is solid (it's better than mine!) Hit up the DAT. get more service hours and ESPECIALLY shadow hours, they want to know you have seen the field and are interested.

Next visit the schools, most are accomadating if you want to take a tour. Make an appointment with the Dean of Admissions, buy him lunch or coffee or get a job at the local dental school. You're from NY so there are like 10 dental schools close by you could make visits to. Things like that

thanks but I just got rejected form penn
fun fun!!!
Really dont care about penn, but I have not heard from others at either...
so can I be in here please? ;)

1992Corolla said:
"this is my number one, I know a lot of people say that, but this is why: yada yada yada"
"Hey i've had a couple of interviews/acceptances (white lies... :D ) and still really want to come out and see the school"
etc.
If you're rejected, then FIRST don't worry about it. I know some guys last year that were rejected along side me and they were DEVASTATED. It changed the attitude they had and they became depressed and unhopeful and it hurt them even more next time around. Be OPTIMISTIC!
"what can I do to improve? What were my stats like compared to those that interviewed or matriculated? Were my LOR good/sucky, how about my AADSAS essay. Get together with a local college pre health advisor and ask em for some help, they've done it before. Then get your nose in the books and ROCK the DAT! Even an 18 is good, but the higher the better. Your GPA is solid (it's better than mine!) Hit up the DAT. get more service hours and ESPECIALLY shadow hours, they want to know you have seen the field and are interested.

Next visit the schools, most are accomadating if you want to take a tour. Make an appointment with the Dean of Admissions, buy him lunch or coffee or get a job at the local dental school. You're from NY so there are like 10 dental schools close by you could make visits to. Things like that

all good stuff..but i would simply suggest to retake the dat. do well and then you'll be fine

Hey I'll tally up, too...

stats:
cum 3.49
sci 3.63
bcp 3.39

dat
aa 20
ts 21
pat 20

Schools:
Arizona=rejected after interview
Case=alternate list (interview in march)
Colorado=rejected
Kentucky= under review
Marquette=under review
UNC= under review
OHSU = under review

I also have 5 years experience as a certified dental assistant...

should we hold a candlelight ceremony in june, pending bad news?

I would not give up all hope yet. If I remember correctly, I started receiving interview request in late Nov and early Dec to Feb. Obviously, I was not their first choice but I did get interviews. It can hurt taking the DAT again. However, if you are taking it again, you have to invest time into it or you'll end up with the same score and that I would think is much worst. I was opposite to your situation: terrible GPA and great DAT.

Kremlar said:
Columbia - Rejected

Well, look at the bright side:

it's good that you got rejected because that drive everyday for four years would've killed you unless you'd move but it's hard to leave Brooklyn!

Good luck with other schools!

lovechild404 said:
kremlar, thanks for making this thread!
i've told my story before, but here it is again: i submitted my aadsas in mid-july, took the dats in mid sept, had problems with my LOR (damn prof!) so my applic was officially complete at many schools in oct/nov (i know...it sucks).
Cum gpa=3.19
sci gpa=2.89
dat=19/18

Hang in there Lovechild, good news will come soon... kinda sucks about your app getting submitted so late, being you had everything else done early... Like everyone else is saying, it seems the application process is so random, I wouldnt be surprised if it came down to how who ever was reviewing your application was feeling that day from some of the things ive read.... lol.. Round 2 coming up.... Post your good news as it comes in..

1992Corolla said:
etc.

Thanks for the info Corolla, ive tried calling people at the two schools im mainly interested in.. Getting someone on the phone is a chore in itself, getting to speak to someone who has any pull, is damn near impossible... I know what you mean about not letting rejection devistate you, im prepared, if it happens, it happens...i'll live, and be back next cycle... As for bringing my application up.. The MAIN area I am lacking in is my DAT, like I said, that was the nail in my coffin, I have 700+ hrs of dental volunteer, 400+ hrs veterinary volunteer (still clinical), my GPA is in good shape (plus I will have 2 more A's this semester for sure to add to it...) All in all, like I said, I think my app is competitive, if I could just get them to look past that DAMN DAT score page...lol...

It takes a lot to share your concerns. I applaud you guys for hanging in there. Please do not stress, as there will surely be spots that clear up after January 15th, by when students with acceptances have to make their final decisions. I understand how uncertain times can be quite discouraging, but the prospects are not that bad after all. The "under review" schools will surely invite you for interviews once they witness a whole bunch of open spots after the January dates. Once again, I respect all of you for sharing your details and it is my sincere hope that our responses are helping you.

Kremlar said:
Arizona - Rejected
UOP - Under Review
USC - Under Review
Uconn - Under Review
Nova - Under Review
Columbia - Rejected
NYU - Under Review
Buffalo - Under Review
Stony - Under Review
Penn - Under Review
Temple - Rejected

SIGH.......... 4 down, 8 to go....
I regret to inform you that we are unable to invite you to interview at the University of Penn. Although the admissions selection committee was impressed with your credentials, an invitation to interview depends on other factors.......

They couldnt have been too impressed... Atleast they put it nicely.. This sucks...

UOP - Under Review
USC - Under Review
Uconn - Under Review
Nova - Under Review
NYU - Under Review
Buffalo - Under Review
Stony - Under Review

Columbia - Rejected
Arizona - Rejected
Penn - Rejected
Temple - Rejected

UPENN's rejection letter was so nice! Haha.

But .... I NEED TO VENT! My fellow SDN-ers who have NOT gotten accepted yet, are you going crazy yet? YES, I AM! :confused: :confused: :confused: :scared: :scared: :scared: FREAKING A! All I need to do is get into ONE SCHOOL! Does anyone else feel like their LIFE is on hold? Jeez, I can't concentrate in class! I can't stop wasting my time and checking AADSAS even at 2am! grrrr..Ok, but seriously, my #1 choice is everyone else's safety school! Like, no one wants to go to BU .. but I DO, I am from Boston! I am a beantown girl! I just need an acceptance from them so I don't have to drive six hours this weekend to a Temple Interview ... because I will waste all my time driving down to PA and not study for my two exams and three finals next week!! HOLY MOLY, maybe I should cancel my interview so I won't FLUNK out of school! AHHH, YES. I AM GOING CRAZY. Give me some pills, someone.

Stay positive. People get accepted well into March and April, although the number of available seats is much smaller then.

You knew coming into it that getting into dental school was difficult (you knew it, but you may not have believed it). Despite that, you chose to strive to enter dental school. Don't get down about it, just focus on the positives. A file "under review" isn't as good as an acceptance, but it sure beats a rejection!

hahaha...I guess its easier for me becuase I haven't even received an interview. Soo, sorry, misserica, I can't say that I'm in the same boat as you, considering I really don't have much hope at this point.

Applied to 16 schools, and this is what's left...
UNLV
NYU
Boston University
Tufts U
UOP
USC
UMich
Nova SE
Temple
Marquette (on HOLD...whatever that means)

GL, everyone. Hopefully I'll get to see all of you next year...

kxb4777, what are your stats? I'm in a similar boat as you, but i luckily have 1 interview with Temple in January. I applied to 15 schools, but still haven't gotten rejected by any yet (most likely because my AADSAS app was sent to the schools late september). I guess being a white male with mediocre grades doesn't get you far in the application cycle :smuggrin:

Missserica said:
UPENN's rejection letter was so nice! Haha.

But .... I NEED TO VENT! My fellow SDN-ers who have NOT gotten accepted yet, are you going crazy yet? YES, I AM! :confused: :confused: :confused: :scared: :scared: :scared: FREAKING A! All I need to do is get into ONE SCHOOL! Does anyone else feel like their LIFE is on hold? Jeez, I can't concentrate in class! I can't stop wasting my time and checking AADSAS even at 2am! grrrr..Ok, but seriously, my #1 choice is everyone else's safety school! Like, no one wants to go to BU .. but I DO, I am from Boston! I am a beantown girl! I just need an acceptance from them so I don't have to drive six hours this weekend to a Temple Interview ... because I will waste all my time driving down to PA and not study for my two exams and three finals next week!! HOLY MOLY, maybe I should cancel my interview so I won't FLUNK out of school! AHHH, YES. I AM GOING CRAZY. Give me some pills, someone.

Missserica, I know EXACTLY how you feel. Maybe you can talk to your professor(s) and try to reschedule your exams until after the interview, so you don't need to worry about them. Professors are usually pretty understanding... Go to Temple and kick some a$$... in the meantime, keep calling BU admission office and check on your status. Maybe write them a letter and explain your situation, how much you love BU and would like to stay in Boston... Good luck!!! :)

I hate this waiting game. it's really disheartening and makes you feel like such a LOSER, don't you think. I have to say, it's quite humbling. You think that you're awesome and you're gonna have a slight chance at every dental school you apply to. and then they go and crush your dreams. Just like that. yeah, like that. =T boo.

Good luck to everyone out there!

lol I dont know about you guys but I think I lost faith in dentistry. I havent received any feedbacks or anything.

I am already looking into grad school and get my masters. I dont want to wait around and waste my time. If it happens , It happens .. I gave it my 100 % and thats all I wanted to do. I just wanted a fair chance and crack at it and I got that chance..

good luck to all !

punkxgirl said:
I hate this waiting game. it's really disheartening and makes you feel like such a LOSER, don't you think. I have to say, it's quite humbling. You think that you're awesome and you're gonna have a slight chance at every dental school you apply to. and then they go and crush your dreams. Just like that. yeah, like that. =T boo.

Good luck to everyone out there!

don't worry guys, i got an acceptance in march last year, it happens to more people than you think

keep up the good fight! :thumbup:

I just found out about this website a few days ago. Since then I've become excited about the prospect of getting in this year however I'm prepared to have to take a year off (which was kind of my plan initially). I look forward to working hard and getting my self on track for applying again next year and having a variety of options. Thus far my plans include doing research at school next semester, shadowing my dentist over the summer for more hours and spending more time in lab there, maintaining my GPA (at this point I can't let it get lower- and i'd love to improve it). and my main goal is to study as hard as I can and get 20s across the board. I studied for about a week and it shows on my scores. I think the additional clinical experience, the research experience and an improved DAT score will get in my admit next year (assuming this year doesn't work for me...and i'm still hoping it will!).

1992Corolla said:

touching 1992Corolla's mustache also helps. i know this from personal experience

add me to the no interview list. my app was sent out late oct, and after a month no response yet.

temple hasn't even notify me for a secondary.

kittylover said:
in the meantime, keep calling BU admission office and check on your status. Maybe write them a letter and explain your situation, how much you love BU and would like to stay in Boston... Good luck!!! :)

Just curious...When your writing that letter "How much I love your school, please accept me" etc... Exactly who would you send it to anyhow?? Dean of Admissions for the intended school???

polarnut said:
touching 1992Corolla's mustache also helps. i know this from personal experience

You guys better go find the mustache thread and touch it before I get rid of it! DEC 25th is the SHAVE DATE! :D
Thanks for the plug polarnut!

Stick in there guys!

Hey Kittylover,

Thanks for the advice! I just might do that because my interviewer did give me his business card .....

I just called BU, and they said they update AADSAS every Thursday. Oh great, I have to leave on Thursday morning to get to my interview.

Take care people. Keep the faith?

I think it was easier to get into the class of 2009 then 2010...don't you agree?

I hate being in this boat and I wanna blow it up. I am in it for the third year. I guess you can say I have the waitlist disease (ive been waitlisted for the last 2 yrs, Umich and NOVA). My app is kinda not the norm. I have BS in movement Sci from Univ of Mich-Ann Arbor, and I am finishing my master's in medical science from wayne state Unv med school in may.
DAT AA-18 PAT-19 SCI-19 (OC-18, GC-19, Bio-19) QR-real bad
GPA- 3.15 overall 3.14 undergrad 3.33-grad 2.91 sci

thats my stuff, oh yeah no research b/c I hate it.

Kremlar said:

Arizona - Rejected
UOP - Under Review
USC - Under Review
Uconn - Under Review
Nova - Under Review
Columbia - Rejected
NYU - Under Review
Buffalo - Under Review
Stony - Under Review
Penn - Under Review
Temple - Rejected

jhamer5 said:
I hate being in this boat and I wanna blow it up. I am in it for the third year. I guess you can say I have the waitlist disease (ive been waitlisted for the last 2 yrs, Umich and NOVA). My app is kinda not the norm. I have BS in movement Sci from Univ of Mich-Ann Arbor, and I am finishing my master's in medical science from wayne state Unv med school in may.
DAT AA-18 PAT-19 SCI-19 (OC-18, GC-19, Bio-19) QR-real bad
GPA- 3.15 overall 3.14 undergrad 3.33-grad 2.91 sci

thats my stuff, oh yeah no research b/c I hate it.

Yeah, it's a crappy boat, with a bunch of holes, no paddles, shes takin on water.. but were still afloat... Maybe 3rd time will be the charm for you Jhamer... P.S. Does anyone know if waitlist disease is contageous?? God I hope not... Wheres the moustache.... I need the lucky moustache....

so ive had an interview and have another scheduled but i feel like i belong here. My interview to MN seems standard since it's my home school but my stats are so inferior to well...everyone here it seems. And my Temple interivew could have been tomorrow but I had to move it to mid Jan because of finals and by then it'll be full (not to mention people with better stats have been rejected already, how did I ever trick them into this interview??) Sucks. I just want to get this over with and prepare to take the DAT again/take more classes (if that's what needs to be done). But until we get that last rejection...c'mon! We'll make it!!

-IP

I've only had one interview, and it was at a school that takes so few out of staters that the odds of me getting struck by lighting while winning the lottery are better than my chance of getting in there. And still no word from my state school either, so I can seriously relate to what all you people are going through.

Kremlar said:
I just have a question? Exactly how do you network with the admissions guys??? I wouldnt even know where to begin doing that... Being in this situation sucks.. I want to retake my DAT for Jan 6th, but im just not sure if I should.. I mean, I honestly think I can do better, but have little prep time.. and I dont know if it will even make a difference at this point for this cycle.. God I wish I had some answers..

If you want answers from god you shouldn't be asking for them here on this thread...

I personally would recommend waiting until summer to retake the DAT. You need to do good on it and January is a little bit late for this cycle anyways.

And for everyone saying you need to get 19's or 20's on every section, don't beleive it. An early application will make all the difference in the world. For example, I have had 7 interview invites so far and 3 acceptances to date. My acidemic average is only 18!!!! Thats right 18. So for someone to say that 18 is the average this year nationwide, I don't believe it. On my test an 18 AA was in the 70th percentile. That means that 18 is still higer than average.

Good luck to everyone. I am sure you are all scared and worried right now but it will all work out for the best. A few prayers might also help!! It sure did for me.

:( AGoNy :(

what else i can do except sitting here & wait....
got rejected from 2 schools already (U of MN and AL).... AIYA....

when i email/call the schools to follow ... what can i say/ask? when i asked them ... all they ever say is "your application is complete...it's under review... good luck"

how can i ask so that the answer WON'T be something like that? :/

swtxxxang3l said:
:( AGoNy :(

what else i can do except sitting here & wait....
got rejected from 2 schools already (U of MN and AL).... AIYA....

when i email/call the schools to follow ... what can i say/ask? when i asked them ... all they ever say is "your application is complete...it's under review... good luck"

how can i ask so that the answer WON'T be something like that? :/

Well if you want any old answer that's not the one listed above, you could try insulting their mothers and/or any combination of not-so-nice words of your own choosing...I'm fairly certain that would get a definitive answer pretty quickly. Seriously though, they are telling you that usually because you haven't been either accepted or rejected yet...so even if you ask reallllly nicely, they will still have the same answer for you...the same two words that all of us hate: "under review". Don't give up just yet...under review is by no means the same as "denied"...

EyeAmCommi said:
I haven't received any interviews either. Add me to this list!

your application wasn't printed until 11/23 so this is still pretty early in the process. don't you worry. from your status.... i'm sure you'll get it. hang in there... :)