OFFICIAL Havent gotten any interviews yet - But trying to stay positive thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
jhamer5 said:
I gotcha... I see what your saying. Sorry about the confusion. About the 2.7 BCP, I am finishing up my masters degree in medical science. I thought that it would be most impressive when I applied. To my dismay, it didnot help as much as I thought. It did not hurt, but it was like some of my undergrad sci courses would never be laid to rest by schools. Iowa, for example, told me that my masters program was a joke, and that I should have a 4.0 (however, they did not know anything about it...that it is hard as balls, with MDs, Phd, and DDSs in my classes. But they didnt ask. They where just hung up on my orgo grade.) I dont know if you did a degree program or just took post-bac courses. Schools (BU, pitt, Umich, louisville) like medical sci programs, while others dont care...it depends on the school. If it is any hope, I was accepted to Umich, I have an interview at louisville in jan, and I have a few other schools i am waiting on (but pulling my app). if you got any quest, just ask, because I bet my app is pretty close to yours.

Well, right or wrong, to each his own...If everything in this world was fair, we wouldnt need police.. Does everyone in here believe that minorities should get seats over better qualified applicants?? Just curious.. You got the job done using other avenues, you were smart enough to use ALL of the resources available to you.. Consider it PBL....lol....Dont forget, they dont HAVE to give a seat to someone whos a legacy.. it takes two to tango... Me personally, and this is coming from a LEGACY myself, I decided not to use that resource. I busted my a$$ just like all of you for my grades... I mean, I answered the question on my application that asks about family, because I had to answer the question honestly.. But I didnt go any further, no phone calls, no letters, etc...I didnt even ask.. and look where it's gotten me.... 5 rejections, 1 waitlist, 6 under reviews... and a partridge in a pear tree.... C'mon, you all know, its not what you know, but who you know.... So be it, well qualified applicant, minority, legacy, handicapped, sleeping with adcoms, whatever, if it works for you.... good luck with it.... Bottom line, they'll be the ones in dental school next year, practicing, learning, making money earlier... while i'll be shelling out 2 grand to re-apply for trying to be holier than thou and play fair....good move huh?? lol... HEY WAIT, this is the stay positive thread... so enough of that stuff....

Members don't see this ad.

Kremlar said:
Well, right or wrong, to each his own...If everything in this world was fair, we wouldnt need police.. Does everyone in here believe that minorities should get seats over better qualified applicants?? Just curious.. You got the job done using other avenues, you were smart enough to use ALL of the resources available to you.. Consider it PBL....lol....Dont forget, they dont HAVE to give a seat to someone whos a legacy.. it takes two to tango... Me personally, and this is coming from a LEGACY myself, I decided not to use that resource. I busted my a$$ just like all of you for my grades... I mean, I answered the question on my application that asks about family, because I had to answer the question honestly.. But I didnt go any further, no phone calls, no letters, etc...I didnt even ask.. and look where it's gotten me.... 5 rejections, 1 waitlist, 6 under reviews... and a partridge in a pear tree.... C'mon, you all know, its not what you know, but who you know.... So be it, well qualified applicant, minority, legacy, handicapped, sleeping with adcoms, whatever, if it works for you.... good luck with it.... Bottom line, they'll be the ones in dental school next year, practicing, learning, making money earlier... while i'll be shelling out 2 grand to re-apply for trying to be holier than thou and play fair....good move huh?? lol... HEY WAIT, this is the stay positive thread... so enough of that stuff....
:eek: :eek: :eek:

duh? said:

I'd bet my life it's happened somewhere down the line.. at some point.. and I dont think i'd be on the losing end of that bet...

Members don't see this ad :)
Kremlar said:

Trust me when you get in to the D school without connection/phone calls, next year you will feel great about your self and you will feel that you have accomplished something in life. I would rather apply two times to get into D school than get in with connection in one time. You still have chance this year and good luck.

About the Minority, I have different view than yours but is not worth debating because this issue is very sensitive. I don't get a benefit of the program but I am happy that it is there and it helps this community over all. Not you, not me, or for that matter, most of us will not practice in the very low income neighborhood. But many of these guys will so it really helps the community. This community clinic in Detroit(bad neighborhood) has 5 dentists working in it. All of them are minority.

Mustt Mustt said:
Trust me when you get in to the D school without connection/phone calls, next year you will feel great about your self and you will feel that you have accomplished something in life. I would rather apply two times to get into D school than get in with connection in one time. You still have chance this year and good luck.

About the Minority, I have different view than yours but is not worth debating because this issue is very sensitive. I don't get a benefit of the program but I am happy that it is there and it helps this community over all. Not you, not me, or for that matter, most of us will not practice in the very low income neighborhood. But many of these guys will so it really helps the community. This community clinic in Detroit(bad neighborhood) has 5 dentists working in it. All of them are minority.

Hello Mustt, I think you took my post the wrong way, when I asked about minorities getting a seat, I was simply asking to prove my point that however you get a seat, good for you, you got the job done using all the resources available to you.. Im impartial on the subject actually... As long as its not some dirty tactics, and your qualified.. If you've got a 2.7gpa, get to the back of the line.. My girlfriend is a minority going into medical school, her grades arent the best, but not the worst, average..Ive told her to check the minority box a million times...If it's there, use it, or someone else will... And just to further answer your question, check my location status.. I come from Brooklyn ny, where I plan to work with family already in practice when I graduate.. Very low income neighborhood... But if you think it will make me feel fantastic when I get in next year because I didnt make any phone calls, no honestly, it wont.. it makes me $2000 poorer and stupid.. ... ....I had a lot more to say, but I decided to cut and edit my email here... It's not gonna change things anyhow... Good luck to everyone...

Kremlar said:
Hello Mustt, I think you took my post the wrong way, when I asked about minorities getting a seat, I was simply asking to prove my point that however you get a seat, good for you, you got the job done using all the resources available to you.. Im impartial on the subject actually... As long as its not some dirty tactics, and your qualified.. If you've got a 2.7gpa, get to the back of the line.. My girlfriend is a minority going into medical school, her grades arent the best, but not the worst, average..Ive told her to check the minority box a million times...If it's there, use it, or someone else will... And just to further answer your question, check my location status.. I come from Brooklyn ny, where I plan to work with family already in practice when I graduate.. Very low income neighborhood... But if you think it will make me feel fantastic when I get in next year because I didnt make any phone calls, no honestly, it wont.. it makes me $2000 poorer and stupid.. ... ....I had a lot more to say, but I decided to cut and edit my email here... It's not gonna change things anyhow... Good luck to everyone...

Exactly! Use all the available resources that you have within reason and keeping with professional ethical practice. In the business world, sometime it help to know people. I imagine it is the same within dentistry. Many of us will acquire associateships or partner with someone, not because we are the most qualified or the best, but because we "know someone."