Official Homo Premed Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
DubZteR said:
I don't mean to stick my nose in ... but it's kind of weird for me to see two people on "the same team" to be bickering but I can relate to both of you. My last bf was more of the ingamina type and I'm more of the Carlos type so we fought a lot about stuff like that too. He's the type that would hold my hand in the car, yet if a truck pulled up besides us he would quickly withdraw for fear of the "butchy" truck driver seeing. He also didn't want me to wear "sleeveless tshirts" in the burbs cuz he felt those were "obvious" A bit too paranoid in my opinion but that's just one of the reasons why we're not together anymore. The ironic thing though is he now owns more of those sleeveless tshirts than me and well has quite the "gay" wardrobe himself. Anyhow I have no idea where this post is going beyonds my rambling so I'll shut up !!!! Hope you're all having a good day :)

you look like Jared from the Subway commercials.

Members don't see this ad.

VPDcurt said:
you look like Jared from the Subway commercials.

Actually I'm sneaky and that's my bf's pic.

I'm also deprived of TV so I have never seen "Jared" from those subway commercials. Is that a good thing or bad thing? lol

I am a lesbian and I decided not to come out on my apps, even though I was really tempted to when Tufts asked "are there any special reasons you want to come to Tufts or Boston?" I'm actually considering a military health professionals scholarship... so I might have to maintain a "don't ask, don't tell" status throughout school, but I hope to make changes in the military if I can. We'll see what the near future will hold for gay rights.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't understand how I come across as "ashamed" of who I am. I am very secure in who I am, but just don't subscribe to the "im here and i'm queer" attitude like the folks you see on ricky lake. If someone asks me about who i am, or notices me, I'm honest, and help them understand that gays come in many different colors, even bland ones, and I certainly don't recoil and don't try to lie about it.
Perhaps I am just one step ahead of people like carlos mielefan who feels he has to fight for everything he has, and shove his sexuality down everyone's throat. I believe people don't care about my personal life, so I don't feel like i have to make it an issue.
I'm sure each of us will figure out what works for us individually in the long run to get through life.

ingamina said:
I don't understand how I come across as "ashamed" of who I am. I am very secure in who I am, but just don't subscribe to the "im here and i'm queer" attitude like the folks you see on ricky lake. If someone asks me about who i am, or notices me, I'm honest, and help them understand that gays come in many different colors, even bland ones, and I certainly don't recoil and don't try to lie about it.
Perhaps I am just one step ahead of people like carlos mielefan who feels he has to fight for everything he has, and shove his sexuality down everyone's throat. I believe people don't care about my personal life, so I don't feel like i have to make it an issue.
I'm sure each of us will figure out what works for us individually in the long run to get through life.

hah.

sorry.

Ha! I found it.

http://www.amsa.org/premed/medsurvey/

This link provides student survey/evaluations of med schools, including "Supportive Environment For: Lesbian, gay, and bisexual students" and rates from 1-5.

this *** thread should be removed from sdn and never brought up again :mad:

Greenspan said:
this *** thread should be removed from sdn and never brought up again :mad:

people like you should be removed from sdn and never allowed to waste the earth's valuable supply of oxygen again. :D .... :thumbup: :thumbup:

DubZteR said:
people like you should be removed from sdn and never allowed to waste the earth's valuable supply of oxygen again. :D .... :thumbup: :thumbup:
Agreed . . . where are the moderators? This was this guys first post too. He's probably a total troll.

hey, you guys gonna start slapping each other soon? :p

I can appreciate ingamina's position. Why should he have to conform to popular cultures stereotype of the gay man? Why should he put himself in danger? I have 2 friends who have been assaulted after leaving gay clubs, I don't blame anyone who would keep it on the down low.

I was stationed on the Navy ship USS Belleau Wood a couple of years ago when some sailors beat another one to death. Because he was gay. :thumbdown:

Members don't see this ad :)
EvoDevo said:
I was stationed on the Navy ship USS Belleau Wood a couple of years ago when some sailors beat another one to death. Because he was gay. :thumbdown:

to death??????? did no try to intervene?

what was the outcome for the murderers if you don't mind me asking (charges, convictions, etc?)

Anyone remember reading about this anywhere ?

EvoDevo said:

That's really really lame :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

I have another gay friend who's more of your testosterone variety homosexual. He's hardcore into Brazillian Ju Jitsu and other fighting styles. He actually instigates the frat boys to start something with him. I heard of him actually following some guys who had been making threatening comments to one of his more femme friends for 3 blocks berating them and asking them how it felt to be afraid of a "***" :laugh: :laugh:

DubZteR said:
to death??????? did no try to intervene?

what was the outcome for the murderers if you don't mind me asking (charges, convictions, etc?)

Anyone remember reading about this anywhere ?
It was after hours and on the base. They trapped him in the men's room, IIRC. And it happened sometime back in.......'92.

EvoDevo said:
It was after hours and on the base. They trapped him in the men's room, IIRC. And it happened sometime back in.......'92.

that's awful :( ... what is the IIRC?

EvoDevo said:

I don't think I will ever understand the motives behind carrying out such an attack. I think thats one thing about being a physician that will frustrate me--while we are there helping those in need of medical care, we also know that in many cases it is the result of some horrific crime (not just talking about hate crimes here). Just seems that the good will always be shadowed by the bad.

Btw, Evo, you are starting to show your age......a couple of years ago was 1992?

runner1979 said:
I don't think I will ever understand the motives behind carrying out such an attack. I think thats one thing about being a physician that will frustrate me--while we are there helping those in need of medical care, we also know that in many cases it is the result of some horrific crime (not just talking about hate crimes here). Just seems that the good will always be shadowed by the bad.

Btw, Evo, you are starting to show your age......a couple of years ago was 1992?
So I'm in my early thirties. Why's that "showing my age"? :mad:

;)

Yeah, I really don't understand the motivation behind those sorts of hate crimes. Personally, perps of these incidents should be strung up by their testicles (or toes if XX) and allowed a slow, painful death.

Well, trolls aside ( :mad: ), I think this thread rocks! Since I've been reading it, I've been inspired to step up my activist activity, in both my interviews and everyday. Thanks you guys.

I'm excited to see that there are many of us going into medicine. It will be folks like us that make sure that GLBT health care issues are addressed in the future. Keep it up!

ingamina said:
Perhaps I am just one step ahead of people like carlos mielefan who feels he has to fight for everything he has, and shove his sexuality down everyone's throat.

Well, from my last consumer satisfaction survey, I don't believe anyone complained. Besides, while I might indeed be shoving my sexuality down "everyone's" throats, be rest assured it will be coming no where near yours.

One step ahead? Try several steps behind, you pseudo-closetted freak. You're pretty pathetic. (And I generally don't resort to these teenage antics of name calling, but somehow for you, they seem apt).

DianaLynne said:
Well, trolls aside ( :mad: ), I think this thread rocks! Since I've been reading it, I've been inspired to step up my activist activity, in both my interviews and everyday. Thanks you guys.

I'm excited to see that there are many of us going into medicine. It will be folks like us that make sure that GLBT health care issues are addressed in the future. Keep it up!

Despite all of my playful catiness - 'cause it really is just that - this is exactly the message I am trying to convey to everyone. DianaLynne, I am very glad for you, and wish you my entire best.

From one queer to another,

CarlosMielefan

Cerberus said:
That's really really lame :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

I have another gay friend who's more of your testosterone variety homosexual. He's hardcore into Brazillian Ju Jitsu and other fighting styles. He actually instigates the frat boys to start something with him. I heard of him actually following some guys who had been making threatening comments to one of his more femme friends for 3 blocks berating them and asking them how it felt to be afraid of a "***" :laugh: :laugh:

Children! I am back, and you know I have to respond to all these fun things that have happened in my absence. Well, while I applaud your friend's machismo, violence or the threat there of is hardly ever a sensible solution. It is funny though not laudable.

so has everyone started doing their holiday season shopping yet?

CarlosMielefan said:
One step ahead? Try several steps behind, you pseudo-closetted freak. You're pretty pathetic. (And I generally don't resort to these teenage antics of name calling, but somehow for you, they seem apt).

Grow up dude. (and I'm sure you are going to throw back some "sick of hearing this tired line" crap--ever stopped to think that others are sick of your tired lines?)

Why is it that you feel every gay person has to conform to your ideals on self-representation and activism? Cut the guy some slack and realize that we are each individuals.

For you, in-your-face activism seems to be appropriate. For this guy, its not. Ever stop to think that some people may respond to people like him better than they would to you? Ever stop to think that the reason some people support Gay Rights is becuase of their interactions with just an everyday joe who's gay?

runner1979 said:
Grow up dude. (and I'm sure you are going to throw back some "sick of hearing this tired line" crap--ever stopped to think that others are sick of your tired lines?)
For you, in-your-face activism seems to be appropriate. For this guy, its not. Ever stop to think that some people may respond to people like him better than they would to you? Ever stop to think that the reason some people support Gay Rights is becuase of their interactions with just an everyday joe who's gay?

You aren't very bright, it appears. Ever stop to think that it is the overtly active, in-your-face gays that have advaned the course to the point where it is now. Perhaps they are the reason why we can all discuss these issues without cowering in the dark.

And as for people not responding to me? I couldn't say that has been my experience. I have received every interview I cared to receive, and they have all gone quite nicely. I think they love me. They really, really love me.

Do I care that you don't? Nope.

CarlosMielefan said:
You aren't very bright, it appears. Ever stop to think that it is the overtly active, in-you-face gays that have advaned the course to the point where it is now. Perhaps they are the reason why we can all discuss these issues without cowering in the dark.

And as for people not responding to me? I couldn't say that has been my experience. I have received every interview I cared to receive, and they have all gone quite nicely. I think they love me. They really, really love me.

Do I care that you don't? Nope.

This sounds marvelously (, and hypocritically) self centered.

What I want to know is, why do gay people always get labeled as being "in your face" by simply stating a fact like "I am gay" when everywhere you look lies the glittery flashiness of diamond/gold/silver/platinum of hetero engagement and wedding rings? Nothing screams "straight and proud" like this good old special privilege of wearing this symbol of love sanctioned by God and country. Thoughts?

And I do believe there is a difference between being "in" and "inactive." Without labeling any posters to this thread, it's much easier for some people to be out and proud because, due to affectations or mannerisms, they have always been called out as queer/gay whether they felt they were or not. If a person has, on the other hand, characteristics more in line with gender norms (freaking hate that phrase), then "blending" is more natural and less likely to lead to activist activity. This is kind of my opinion, but also if you've ever read anything about growing up gay, you'll find a lot of the same ideas.

And all my holiday shopping is done. And I love "quotation marks."

ingamina said:
This sounds marvelously (, and hypocritically) self centered.

It does, doesn't it. Well, in the interest of putting an old quibble to rest, I am extending an olive branch of sorts. I have been informed that my posts in this thread are "inappropriate" - whatver that means. I happen to think they aren't. But this isn't about defending myself. It is about ensuring that what was a noble intention does not disintergrate into something more sinister. I post on this thread to encourage fellow gays and not to berate them. It appears I have done quite a bit of that, for which I am truly... um, what's that word? Sorry?

I do wish you all the best, dear homos.

EvoDevo said:
Private Message

What on earth are you talking about? I demand to know. This is a public forum and I refuse to be censored for unfounded reasons.

CarlosMielefan said:
What on earth are you talking about? I demand to know. This is a public forum and I refuse to be censored for unfounded reasons.

censored? are you kidding me?

CarlosMielefan said:
Private messages are indeed that - private. I quoted the TOS to you. Here is the relevant section:
SDN TOS said:
Inappropriate or offensive language includes, but is not limited to, any language or content that is sexually oriented, sexually suggestive or abusive, harassing, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, profane, hateful, or that contains racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable material of any kind.

Your comments on this thread are not in keeping with the TOS. You can disagree all you want, but I'm not going to budge.

Peace

We are really discussing a difference in opinion in how to co-exist, and what is in fact productive to our common cause. We don't accomplish much by calling eachother idiots and freaks.

What is productive is to talk about what furthers our acceptance in medicine and the world at large. Is it waving (and hiding behind) a rainbow flag, or is it hard work and gaining respect as individuals? You decide. Hopefully we all help more than rip each other down.

EvoDevo said:
Private messages are indeed that - private. I quoted the TOS to you. Here is the relevant section:

Your comments on this thread are not in keeping with the TOS. You can disagree all you want, but I'm not going to budge.

Peace

I entirely disagree. Do you quote the TOS to other users who make equally sensible comments? Child please! My comments have infused in them an understanding that a lot of SDN users need to take a chill pill and calm down. I have NEVER used profanity on this website, and continue to be the most inclusive, understanding person. So, just because I post a few things you disagree with doesn't mean you should quote the TOS at me. You are banned from ever privating me. How is that for revoking privileges!

What's more troubling to me is this: who do you think you are?

who do you think you are?

Did I miss something here? I think he is... the... mod. :idea: Probably that's who he thinks he is.

I think that it's not so much your ideas that are inflamatory around here, but the inflamatory way in which you say them. When people disagree with you, you don't have to take it personally or tear into them like you have been. Everyone has the same goal; everyone has the same issues; the difference comes in implementation. Live and let live baby! Remember, too, the mods are your friends. They're here to keep people from making others uncomfortable or feel like they can't express ideas freely. Rather than assuming they are dinguses when they discreetly talk to you, take a piece of the introspection pie and wonder why would they feel the need to talk to you.

cheers

-dope-

Truce57 said:
And I do believe there is a difference between being "in" and "inactive." Without labeling any posters to this thread, it's much easier for some people to be out and proud because, due to affectations or mannerisms, they have always been called out as queer/gay whether they felt they were or not. If a person has, on the other hand, characteristics more in line with gender norms (freaking hate that phrase), then "blending" is more natural and less likely to lead to activist activity. This is kind of my opinion, but also if you've ever read anything about growing up gay, you'll find a lot of the same ideas.

Truce, I think you're onto something here. And gender roles? You must be a fellow social science l major.

I do think that some of us have it easier if we're able to blend in. But in any rigorous training, from the military to medicine, the focus shifts to what you should be doing rather than who you are. There is a certain amount of identity that we can expect to lose, as we're formed from students to doctors. What we want and who we think we are pails in comparison to the conditions and demands we face.

In the useful links threads, there's a diary of a med school student that concerns me in what happens in the "training process", not to mention rampant homophobia. It would seem that when put to the test, and the incessant demands and challenges, the fewer characteristics which makes anyone stand out the better. In the application process, it's difficult to gauge what philosphy any particular instructor from a school will try to divulge on us.

But I believe a lot of medical schools are trying to change the mindset of doctors and the profession. Perhaps these are the schools we talk about as being "gay friendly".

CarlosMielefan said:
I entirely disagree. Do you quote the TOS to other users who make equally sensible comments? Child please! My comments have infused in them an understanding that a lot of SDN users need to take a chill pill and calm down. I have NEVER used profanity on this website, and continue to be the most inclusive, understanding person. So, just because I post a few things you disagree with doesn't mean you should quote the TOS at me. You are banned from ever privating me. How is that for revoking privileges!

What's more troubling to me is this: who do you think you are?

Wow, you are the biggest queen i've ever seen.

Cerberus said:
Wow, you are the biggest queen i've ever seen.

Why, thanks. ;)

However, I should add that I might consider that "hateful" and call on that annoying fellow (the moderator... or something) who privated me that silly little message. Perhaps he should send you a quote of the TOS.

dopaminophile said:
Did I miss something here? I think he is... the... mod. :idea: Probably that's who he thinks he is.

And perhaps that means I should... ? Exactly.

dopaminophile said:
They're here to keep people from making others uncomfortable or feel like they can't express ideas freely. Rather than assuming they are dinguses when they discreetly talk to you, take a piece of the introspection pie and wonder why would they feel the need to talk to you.

cheers

-dope-

What about the countless times people have said the most god-awful things to me! Did they receive private messages quoting them the TOS? I'm not sure that they did. I believe I have been singled out. I am looking through my cards of race, sexual orientation, class, gender to see which one to pull! This is simply unfair and wrong. *sniffles*

And quite frankly, I don't care why anyone feels the need to do anything. It would seem that that is their problem not mine.

CarlosMielefan said:
And perhaps that means I should... ? Exactly.

What about the countless times people have said the most god-awful things to me! Did they receive private messages quoting them the TOS? I'm not sure that they did. I believe I have been singled out. I am looking through my cards of race, sexual orientation, class, gender to see which one to pull! This is simply unfair and wrong. *sniffles*

And quite frankly, I don't care why anyone feels the need to do anything. It would seem that that is their problem not mine.

Carlos - quit while you are ahead. Don't make yourself out to be a victim here - it's not worth it.

VPDcurt said:
Carlos - quit while you are ahead. Don't make yourself out to be a victim here - it's not worth it.

Oh, I didn't really mean it. I am trying to sound like a "feeling" person. I'm glad it is working.

CarlosMielefan said:
You aren't very bright, it appears. Ever stop to think that it is the overtly active, in-your-face gays that have advaned the course to the point where it is now. Perhaps they are the reason why we can all discuss these issues without cowering in the dark.
I wasn't going to respond but after reading your comment in the Pet thread, I just couldn't resist ..... You should realize that along with your appeal to the overly active in your face gays lies a distinction between being "overly active" as you no doubt have proven yourself to be and just plain rude.

Based on your latest posts in this and other threads, I'm sure others would agree you are crossing the line into the latter.

Also, attributing the advancement of gay issues to the level it currently is at to in your face gays as you have done is selfish, segregative, misleading and simply not true.

It is due to the hard work of many overly active people, many of whom are not in your face.

DubZteR said:
I wasn't going to respond but after reading your comment in the Pet thread, I just couldn't resist ..... You should realize that along with your appeal to the overly active in your face gays lies a distinction between being "overly active" as you no doubt have proven yourself to be and just plain rude.

Based on your latest posts in this and other threads, I'm sure others would agree you are crossing the line into the latter.

Also, attributing the advancement of gay issues to the level it currently is at to in your face gays as you have done is selfish, segregative, misleading and simply not true.

It is due to the hard work of many overly active people, many of whom are not in your face.

I like how you've phrased your argument. However, it is exactly in-your-face gays that present a shield behind which silly pseudo-closetted people can hide. So, if there is any advancement to be attributed to these - as I've called them - psedu-closetted people, it is because they are able to do whatever work they do well-hidden behind the queens, and the other femme people, who you all appear to have done quite a bit of bashing against.

I am not a rude person. I am simply a truthful, direct and for-the-sake-of-fun person. So, get over yourselves! Yes, all of you!

Lastly, pets are disgusting creatures. People who own them are usually irrational, and entirely irritating people... I find.

CarlosMielefan said:
I am not rude. There!

of course not! We all know gay folks like you and I don't have it in our genetic makeup to be rude right? :p

I am usually a nice person - a bit toothy, but generally nice. I have tried to suppress the more evil tendencies I have but the especially unkind attacks at my noble intentions just make it entirely hard to be the nice person I am. It was fun getting a rise out of folks here and there, but now I am just plain upset. I do not like to be upset. My blood boils, my eyes get blood shot, my temperature rises, my chest heaves.... This is not the look I strive for.

And where is the moderator when I am been ripped to shreds? That's what I thought. And we ask for equity!