toxic-megacolon

Toxic Member
10+ Year Member
Oct 27, 2004
Status
Well, it sounds like as we all play with our schedules, there will be interviews we just won't be able to attend. I was thinking about starting a list of those... So when I hear someone isn't able to attend their Cornell interview for example, I can wait eagerly with my hopes up for a few days! I'm thinking we should format it more like the "Rejected" thread, rather than "Interviews" thread, so it doesn't get so monstrously long. Good luck to everyone!

OP
toxic-megacolon

toxic-megacolon

Toxic Member
10+ Year Member
Oct 27, 2004
Status
I'll go first...

Mt. Sinai Cabrini, Huntington Memorial (Los Angeles), St Agnes (Baltimore), St Joseph Mercy (Michigan), St Joseph (Chicago), Chicago Med/Mt Sinai, North Shore/Long Island Jewish, New York Hospital Queens, Saint Louis University

geekgirl

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 6, 2005
Status
this list is getting as long as the one of acceptances. i think i overdid the application thing....

thanks but no thanks:
baylor houston, u chicago, ucsd, u wisconsin, u minnesota, u michigan (date conflicts), mayo rochester, utah, iowa, lankenau (philly)

am at 12/13 interviews i'm intending to go to.
7 more waiting to hear from.

AlexRusso

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 22, 2004
Status
Medical Student
No thanks to:
Staten Island University Hospital

I aaplied to 31 programs, interviewing at 24, rejected from 1, declined 1, waiting to hear from 5.

NineSixteen

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 13, 2001
Baltimore
Status
Resident [Any Field]
AlexRusso said:
I aaplied to 31 programs, interviewing at 24, rejected from 1, declined 1, waiting to hear from 5.
How in the WORLD are you interviewing at 24?? :eek: I think I'll be ready to rip my hair out after a half dozen!

solstice118

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2005
Status
Medical Student
NineSixteen said:
How in the WORLD are you interviewing at 24?? :eek: I think I'll be ready to rip my hair out after a half dozen!
I am so impressed. I'm wincing as I try and schedule 11. Really 24?

No thanks and cancelled: UIC, MCV, St. Vincent's

ExtraCrispy

Funky chicken
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 3, 2005
Rockin the henhouse
Status
Withdrew my app from Penn and Jefferson pre-interview invite

Have cancelled the following: St. Raphael's (New Haven), Bassett
(Cooperstown), Nassau (LI), Stamford (CT).

Will likely cancel (scheduling conflicts): Einstein Beth Israel

Applied to 27, withdrew from 2, declined 4, 15 interviews currently scheduled, waiting to hear from six.

AlexRusso

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 22, 2004
Status
Medical Student
solstice118 said:
I am so impressed. I'm wincing as I try and schedule 11. Really 24?

No thanks and cancelled: UIC, MCV, St. Vincent's

2 in November, 14 in Dec, 7 in Jan, 1 in Feb.

I have Dec off so I'm interviewing a lot that month. Mostly weekends in Jan and Nov. All the programs are in or around NYC so traveling isn't an issue.

fishmonger69

deadly with a knife
10+ Year Member
Oct 8, 2005
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Politely declined the following: UT-SA, Univ of Oklahoma, Univ of Nebraska, Univ of Kentucky, Wayne State, Greenville Hospital System

12 currently scheduled, waiting on 6

and as i compare this list it is quite apparent i'm one of the few on this board that isn't currently in school in the northeast :)

robotsonic

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 10, 2005
NYC
Status
Medical Student
AlexRusso said:
2 in November, 14 in Dec, 7 in Jan, 1 in Feb.

I have Dec off so I'm interviewing a lot that month. Mostly weekends in Jan and Nov. All the programs are in or around NYC so traveling isn't an issue.
It seems like we both want to stay in NYC, but I can't figure out why you would do 24 interviews. You did really well on step 1 and I'm assuming you did well in med school, so why 24? It's kind of making me nervous, as I was only going to do 12 interviews max, with only 8 or 9 in NYC. I'm not the greatest candidate by any means, but I still figure that I should be able to get a spot without doing too many interviews. Am I missing something here?

Espion

is a girl
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 5, 2002
aldaily.com
Status
Medical Student
robotsonic said:
It seems like we both want to stay in NYC, but I can't figure out why you would do 24 interviews. You did really well on step 1 and I'm assuming you did well in med school, so why 24? It's kind of making me nervous, as I was only going to do 12 interviews max, with only 8 or 9 in NYC. I'm not the greatest candidate by any means, but I still figure that I should be able to get a spot without doing too many interviews. Am I missing something here?
Do you know what scares me? It seems that 98% of the anecdotal evidence involves people who either matched first choice or interviewed at 15 programs, ranked them all, had excellent scores and still scrambled. Its like an "all or none" world out there.

Where are everyone in the middle, for Pete's sake? Not everyone is going to match their first choice.

Heh, sorry. :oops:

Anyway, not going to ETSU, Albert-Einstein (Bronx), Wright State, Univ of Iowa.

geekgirl

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 6, 2005
Status
geekgirl said:
thanks but no thanks:
baylor houston, u chicago, ucsd, u wisconsin, u minnesota, u michigan (date conflicts), mayo rochester, utah, iowa, lankenau (philly)

am at 12/13 interviews i'm intending to go to.
7 more waiting to hear from.
have also nixed u washington and northwestern.
just waiting for harvard schools, NYC schools, and stanford.
still holding at 13.

UT-Lilly

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 15, 2004
Austin
Status
geekgirl said:
have also nixed u washington and northwestern.
just waiting for harvard schools, NYC schools, and stanford.
still holding at 13.
has anyone heard from MGH or B&W? if so, do you attend harvard medical school or did you do an away rotation at either institution?

ExtraCrispy

Funky chicken
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 3, 2005
Rockin the henhouse
Status
Hi UT-Lilly,
I think (hope!) that they review our Dean's letters before sending out invites. Brown just sent out a nice email to applicants letting them know that they review all of the letters before deciding whom to invite, and so we'll receive notification in about two weeks - I'm hoping that MGH and B&W are adopting the same approach.

happy puppet

nothin left to do but...
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 3, 2005
Status
Applied: 23. Invited: 16. Declined: 1 (UNC). Waiting: 7 (but you could have done the math, I suppose). I'll have to decline others, I think, soon.

15 is gonna be hard to make, for sure. fishmonger69, don't worry, I'm west coast, but am applying heavily on the east coast.

What's weird is that I've gotten invites from schools I never thought I would be competitive for: Cornell, Emory, Beth Israel, U Washington, U Chicago, never got an invite (OR a reject, either way) from places like U Maryland, Columbia, U Michigan. Should I assume I'm gonna get rejected?? Wouldn't they just tell me at this point or are they waiting for people to give up their interviews?

avgjoe

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 12, 2004
Status
Applied: 20. Interviews scheduled: 13. Rejected: 1 (Kaiser LA). So far have the others scheduled but may cancel depending on how the first ones go..
Waiting to hear mainly from Harvard pgms, and Stanford. Wish all schools got back to us on the same date - wouldn't that be nice for scheduling purposes?

AlexRusso

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 22, 2004
Status
Medical Student
robotsonic said:
Well it's 25 now that NYU joined in...but the reason for so many is partly because my dean scared the hell out of us with this talk about how the people that go unmatched are the people that don't rank enough programs. I REALLY do not want to go unmatched hence the reason for applying to so many programs.

Secondly, I figure that I can use a lot of these interviews as practice. I have all the interviews at places I really would love to go to scheduled towards the end of my interview season so I should be well "trained" by then.

Finally, I though I was a good candidate too but I haven't gotten invites from some of the schools I really wanted to go to while others here on SDN and other people I know whith scores/grades/etc not as competetive as mine have already gotten invites at these same programs. This makes me think I may have some "anomaly" in my application (maybe its just paranoia). I have heard of people with excellent records not matching. One guy I heard about had an excellent record but didn't match because on one of his clerkship evals (not surgery) it said that he is "at times a bit lazy" and this quote was included in his Dean's Letter. The guy had to scramble and wound up having to wait a year and match next year into some easier specilty. Would really hate to have that happen, so I'm not taking any chances with the match. It works in very wierd ways from what I hear.

fishmonger69

deadly with a knife
10+ Year Member
Oct 8, 2005
Status
Resident [Any Field]
wow, absolute crap to have a comment like that placed in the dean's letter. sometimes i wonder what use those serve as i'm sure some programs are better about filtering that sort of crap out, leaving less fortunate souls to the wolves.

i'm with you regarding interview and ranking as many programs as possible. we've gotten the same scare speech, and it likely has more to do with the school wanting a high match % as opposed to students finding a career/residency program they really want to be a part of. for what it's worth, the people i speak to in g.surg applied everywhere, got 80-90% interview offers, accepted about 50% and ranked about 30%. in the end, it's just not worth ending up somewhere you know you'd hate in order to miss the scramble. some may disagree, but that's the mentality i will have on rank day.

and to the point about 'strong records', etc. we all have no idea what they are looking for. at many programs it's likely all about the 1 faculty who picked up your application. if you did research in cell.molec and he hates that, well you're already a step down. however, if you've volunteered at a hunting gala for 10 years and he's an avid sportsman, you may have slipped in with a step1 of 190 and a 1.5 GPA. all programs will train you to be a surgeon, some more adept than others, but i believe if you're willing to work hard at it you can get a great education at an program.

i'm looking forward to leaving an interview at a program i just know i have to be a part of. it'll happen for most of us, so let's just relax and enjoy the food :) good luck to everyone.

OP
toxic-megacolon

toxic-megacolon

Toxic Member
10+ Year Member
Oct 27, 2004
Status
University of Washington :( (Their dates just SUCK)
NYU - Even their interview invite was malignant! (One date choice :rolleyes: )

Fishmonger, are you from Tennessee?

fishmonger69

deadly with a knife
10+ Year Member
Oct 8, 2005
Status
Resident [Any Field]
toxic-megacolon said:
University of Washington :( (Their dates just SUCK)
NYU - Even their interview invite was malignant! (One date choice :rolleyes: )

Fishmonger, are you from Tennessee?
no sir, texas. talking to an attending the other day who trained at NYU, enjoy the malignancy! :)

UT-Lilly

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 15, 2004
Austin
Status
I will be cancelling UT-houston (on 1/19) and MUSC (S. Carolina-Charleston; 1/21) this week.

kidney

10+ Year Member
Nov 15, 2005
Status
Resident [Any Field]
as a categorical pgy-2 at a university hospital in nyc

i applied to 25 programs.. got interviews at about 20 of those... went to about 18 interviews... wasted a day at 5 of those.. ranked 13.. matched at #3 (glad i did in retrospect i like it better than i would have at 1 and 2)

to alexrusso..... reading the interviews that you are getting (assuming they are true because people love to lie) i don't think that you look like a scrambling type of candidate. actually all of you look pretty safe by the interviews you are getting.

the people who scramble usually are fmg's with 5-10 interviews are small programs in the middle of nowhere. not people with 25 at major university hospitals. relax and be yourself

OP
toxic-megacolon

toxic-megacolon

Toxic Member
10+ Year Member
Oct 27, 2004
Status
Scratch Union Memorial (Baltimore), Mt Sinai (NYC), Virginia Mason (Seattle)

jenwishmd

10+ Year Member
Sep 18, 2005
Status
Medical Student
Rejected by them:
University of FL, Good Samaritan

Rejected by me:
UT Houston (meanies...no thanks)

happy puppet

nothin left to do but...
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 3, 2005
Status
Just canceled or declined the following:

Utah, UNC, Alb Einstein (Bronx), Brown, Columbia, Hennepin. Wish I could have done at least Hennepin and Columbia but the dates sucked!

Ergo

Integrated Resident
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
happy puppet said:
Just canceled or declined the following:

Utah, UNC, Alb Einstein (Bronx), Brown, Columbia, Hennepin. Wish I could have done at least Hennepin and Columbia but the dates sucked!
UNC! Ughhh - hate to turn that one down - its a good program in a great location :(

Turning down: MUSC (wanted to go but conflicts) Hawaii, Univ Houston, maybe Loyola.

ExtraCrispy

Funky chicken
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 3, 2005
Rockin the henhouse
Status
Here be me list of decline-ees:

Baystate
St. Luke's-Roosevelt
St. Raphael's (New Haven)
Stamford (CT)
Bassett (Cooperstown)
Jefferson
Nassau
Einstein Beth Israel (NYC)

chirish

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2005
Status
Anyone planning on cancelling their Temple (Philly) interview?

locitamd

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 1, 2001
Visit site
Status
Guess I'll add mine too:

Duke, Vandy and Dartmouth

AlexRusso

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 22, 2004