******Official Jan 2007 Score Release thread*******

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mshheaddoc

Howdy
Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For all of those who took the exam in January:

This is the official score release thread for the January 2006 MCAT. Feel free to post serious information and announcements about the impending score release. You can post your scores in here when the time comes as well. Post any random musings in the Official January 2006 Score Release Countdown Thread so that we can keep this one uncluttered.

Also, I will be starting two threads for you to post "what are my chances" in pre-allo and pre-osteo. Please use this thread as all other threads will be merged into the one thread.

This also serves as a warning to remind you guys fake threads stating "SCORES ARE UP" will give you an automatic post hold for one week.

Best of luck to everyone waiting! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

I was initially shocked and horrified at my scores, which were
11 VR
11 PS
10 BS
Q W
Since it was lower than my score of a 33Q from the first test I took (in 2001, scores now expired), and my practice test scores were 34-35. I was expecting to go up.

I was initially wondering if I should retake, but now I think I've gained some perspective, and I'm just going to stick with what I've got.

9 PS
11 VS
10 BS
R W

I'm ok with it...my GPA(3.84) should compensate for my average MCAT score...especially since i'm a retaker and my first score was a 26N (11 PS 5 VR 10 BS). Do you think its decent or should i retake for time number 3?

No definitely do not retake. Getting from a 26 to a 30 was big feat in and of itself. You always risk going down rather then up on the 3rd time. Your GPA is strong and your MCAT is equally strong. What state are you from and what are your ECs like?

From California, UCSB... Volunteered for about 2-3 months at a local clinic, shadowed a gen MD for 8hrs. and shadowed a Gen invasive surg for 8 hrs., bartender, surf instructor, president of global medical brigades (currently organizing an 8 day trip to honduras with 5 docs/20 pre med students), 5 months research in a Neurobiolab...contributing to researching trafficking and activity between proteins associated with alzheimers/diabetes/apoptosis. Also currently taking the class to become a registered EMT and will be registered (assuming i pass the exam) in May

Members don't see this ad :)
was scoring 32 to 34s on practices ... landing a big ole

PS 10 VR 9 BS 10 WS Q 29 Q
GPA 3.53 ... after this semester prob 3.6 ... i partied a lot fresh and soph years...

should i retake or what guys... im so dissapointed... a one point swing would have made me... instead I got the worse score in the book... you donno to retake or settle?

Based on your practice scores, I would retake at least once more. You probably can go higher. Not a bad score though, but a 32+ looks alot better. Figure out what when wrong on the real test and fix.

11-PS
9-VR
11-BS

First time taking the MCAT, 3.85 BCPM GPA & 3.75 overall GPA
I'd like to go to a decent/good med school.

do I re-take?

I definitely wouldn't your stats look great...how are your EC's?
Very, very, very good ECs. Years of work in various hospitals, organic chemistry research, health educator.....
Even with the great GPA & ECs, will a 31 prevent me from being accepted into top tier schools?

Top tier schools...all MD schools are top tier...i wouldn't even mess with the MCATs any more...the liklihood of wasting your time and going down is higher...just apply

was scoring 32 to 34s on practices ... landing a big ole

PS 10 VR 9 BS 10 WS Q 29 Q
GPA 3.53 ... after this semester prob 3.6 ... i partied a lot fresh and soph years...

should i retake or what guys... im so dissapointed... a one point swing would have made me... instead I got the worse score in the book... you donno to retake or settle?
you got the worst score in the book? Try telling that to the people in the thread with significantly lower scores. I know a bunch of people who were accepted to good schools with 28-29s. Unless you're in California or hell-bent on academic medicine, you probably shouldn't bother re-taking it.

41T
A returned Peace Corps Volunteer, Rhoads Scholar, 3 published works, a 3.95 and a Harvard degree...I am going to wherever I want!!! I am so excited. I couldn't be more thrilled!

Harvard '12 Here I come!!

41T
A returned Peace Corps Volunteer, Rhoads Scholar, 3 published works, a 3.95 and a Harvard degree...I am going to wherever I want!!! I am so excited. I couldn't be more thrilled!

Oh, the wonders of searchign for other posts.
I am the newest guy of new guys. I go to the University of Iowa--Senior. I look forward speaking with you in the future.
You're a sad, sad little person.

Members don't see this ad :)
41T

Wow I would think someone so impressive would know how to spell RHODES correctly!?!

What is a Rhodes scholar anyway? Should i know what that is?

A fellowship from the Univ. of Oxford.

Inside the US there are only about 30 or so per year given out.

Very prestigious.

41T

...don't know how to spell RHODES scholar, I'm so great!:idea:

I just got my MCAT back,
phys. 10
verbal 9
writing O
Bio 10
Total 29 O
I am about to graduate from Pharmacy school with a Pharm D. But only did 2 years of undergrad.
Undergrad GPA 3.45
Grad GPA 3.2 (87 average, our scale is slid to the right)
I have volunteer experience, Shadowed 6 differant doctors, will have a few months of clinical experience before I apply, and have the heart and soul to become a doctor.

Where do you think I could be able to get in around the Southeast?? I'm a SC resident so definantly applying to schools here, but do I have a chance for schools like Emory, Chapel Hill, or Wake Forest?

ChemE, you seem to be my score twin with the same form of the test (with that verbal screw-up).

PS-14
VR-11
BS-12
WS-O
37O

It was a retake for me and I did a lot better on PS (8->14)

Wisguy, how did your improve your PS from an 8 to a 14?! Please share!

All of you guys need to post in the 30+ MCAT study habits!

What is this "N" for "non-standard conditions"? If we had a messed up section and do not have this anywhere on our scores, does that mean the messed up section were graded as if it were not messed up?

hey,
some of you guys seem to have a pretty good idea about med schools, so here goes:

i scored a 37R on my MCAT, and that was my first and only time taking the test. i have a 3.99 GPA at UCLA, and will graduate with College Honors, Departmental Honors, a science major, and a humanities minor. I have done research since my first year, have been active in a few clubs, am a Resident Assistant in the residence halls, and have done a few opthalmology internships. Do you think I would be able to get into a med school like UCLA, UCSF, UCI, or UCSD? :confused: thanks guys.

hey,
some of you guys seem to have a pretty good idea about med schools, so here goes:

i scored a 37R on my MCAT, and that was my first and only time taking the test. i have a 3.99 GPA at UCLA, and will graduate with College Honors, Departmental Honors, a science major, and a humanities minor. I have done research since my first year, have been active in a few clubs, am a Resident Assistant in the residence halls, and have done a few opthalmology internships. Do you think I would be able to get into a med school like UCLA, UCSF, UCI, or UCSD? :confused: thanks guys.

What exactly do you think disqualifies you from those schools???

it's not that i think something disqualifies me from those schools, it's just that i was hoping to score over a 40 on my MCAT, which is what I was doing on the Kaplan practice tests, so I'm not too sure. i've heard some horror stories, and I just want to know what people in here who have gone through the process, or who just have some insight, think...

hi,
i guess what i'm concerned about is my score breakdown, because some people have said that your VR score is the most important. my breakdown was VR 11, BS 13, PS 13, W R. That's pretty balanced, but is what I've heard true?

hey,

How do you expect to get in without a 43S and a 4.00 GPA?

The obvious choice is suicide.

(PS. If you're not trolling, well, then you're an absolute idiot. An idiot with a 3.99 GPA. And that's just frightening)

So what i want to know is...how far does being related to an esteemed doctor at a given university get you? So for the kids fathers and mothers who are doctors and admissions people at certain universities...do politics come into play and if so to what degree?

*sighs*

11 PS (WHAT? This was my weak area, topping out at an 8 in practice :thumbup: )
7 VR (What? This was my best area - stupid verbal glitch with it's dumb robo tuna and birds)
9 BS (Meh, it is what it is)

27P overall... shades of gray is all I see. I'm retaking, here's hoping I don't get mismatched passages the second time around. :scared:

Hey I'm in the same boat you are man. I got "
11 PS- shocked because I was scoring 8s on this too
8 VR: considered it my best area. Was hoping for at least a 10. Kicked my butt instead.
8 BS: I was inconsistent with this but averaged 9s.

Retaking it in August. Hopefully it'll be better the next time.

I got 27Q (8 VR, 11 PS, 8 BS, Q) but that's what I expected. Throughout the entire studying phase, I didn't feel like I was taking it too seriously. I only studied a little over a month for it and it wasn't even hardcore, 8 hours a day study plan. I know I shouldn't be disappointed because you get what you put in. But I will dedicate a lot more time and focus more on my next take. Hopefully it will pay off because this time I WILL do what it takes to get a 30+! WISH ME LUCK!

41T

Either you are bluffing (putting money on this one) or you are the most ungrateful Rhodes Scholar ever.

I see a lot of awesome scores out there. Congrats to everyone! I'm currently applying for the 2007 application cycle and have had some great success. It is important to get things in early. Now that you won't be pining over the MCAT in Aprile and/or August, you'll have time to do this.

PS - I'm a repeat test taker since I didn't too well on my first MCAT. Go for it again. Look at my mdapps if you want to check out my 2007 process.

Hey I'm in the same boat you are man. I got "
11 PS- shocked because I was scoring 8s on this too
8 VR: considered it my best area. Was hoping for at least a 10. Kicked my butt instead.
8 BS: I was inconsistent with this but averaged 9s.

Retaking it in August. Hopefully it'll be better the next time.

:luck: to us both! I certainly could have studied more, but there were a lot of factors that brought down my score, imo. I'm confident that after a little more studying we'll both rock it! :D That's my opinion, and I'm stickin' with it!

Wisguy, how did your improve your PS from an 8 to a 14?! Please share!

All of you guys need to post in the 30+ MCAT study habits!

Hey, the change was due to a combination of several things. The fact that I scored an 8 the second time was very surprising because I averaged 11-12 on pt's. However, I attribute the second score to EK. The first time I used tpr materials and they do a terrible job emphasizing the highest yield formulas. Once there were a smaller number of formulas to remember it was much easier to recall them in the high pressure situation of the actual test. Some of their approximations and shortcuts also came in handy. I hope that helps.

Hmmm I'm not sure but I'd check and make sure with schools whether they'd take only 2 years of undergrad even if you do have another professional degree. A lot of places want a bachelors which you could probably finish in 1-2 years and which will help because your GPA is a bit average. I'd also consider applying to the SC schools USC (not Keck but USC as in U S. Carolina) and MUSC as well as broadly across other schools. UNC is a competitive school. A 29 would probably have not kept you out if you had been an NC resident but as an out of stater you need to be uber competitive to get in there because they are one of the more selective and higher ranked schools. They rarely take out of staters. WFU might or might not be out of reach but Emory again is very uber competitive school and your GPA is very average. I'd apply more broadly and make sure its ok that you don't have an undergrad degree by calling each school you are thinking of applying to and checking with them.

Thanks for all the information. I do know that UNC and will take my grad degree but want a 33+, and WF is also ok with the pharm D. but is still competitive. I know my best shot is to get in one of the SC schools here, in which I will try for early admission for MUSC.

I just wonder if I should try to retake the MCAT again? I usually get 11-12 on phys and biology, but I always round it out and make a 29 on all my practice test. My verbal has been my worst part, which is what I concentrated most of my effort on for the last test. I just don't know if I can get a higher score or not, and don't know if a lower score would make me look worse?:confused:

Do you know where you are thinking about heading??
Sinai, NYU, or Dartmouth. I'm still waiting to hear from Harvard and Yale. NYU has always been my top choice and didn't believe that I would be so fortunate this cycle. We'll see.

Some people don't even get a 24 after one month's studying and you already got a 27 with minimal studying effort, so that probably means if you put your max focus you could move up at least 3 points if not many more.

I have a friend who went from 27 after one month's worth of studying to retaking with 4-6 months of studying to get a 35.

Thanks for the encouragement. I hope I can do what your friend did!

Speaking of scoring on practice exams---I don't know how many of you have experienced this but I scored much higher on my practice (CBT's) than I did on the actual exam. The only score that stayed within the range of the practice tests was my VR score (10-12), and I wound up with a 10. I wasn't terribly nervous during VR but I was lacking time in PS and BS. I guess that's why practice does make perfect....but still there are some extrinsic factors that are slightly beyond one's control.

Speaking of scoring on practice exams---I don't know how many of you have experienced this but I scored much higher on my practice (CBT's) than I did on the actual exam. The only score that stayed within the range of the practice tests was my VR score (10-12), and I wound up with a 10. I wasn't terribly nervous during VR but I was lacking time in PS and BS. I guess that's why practice does make perfect....but still there are some extrinsic factors that are slightly beyond one's control.

I had the opposite experience. My actual MCAT was 4 points higher than my practice CBTs.

:luck: to us both! I certainly could have studied more, but there were a lot of factors that brought down my score, imo. I'm confident that after a little more studying we'll both rock it! :D That's my opinion, and I'm stickin' with it!

You'll be just fine! Your verbal was a fluke so you should be able to break a 30 w/o a problem :D I still can't get over your 11 in PS. You did awesome! :clap:

33O (12 BS, 11 PS, 10 V)

I'm debating about retaking it. I spent about 3 weeks studying and got 3 hours of sleep the night before the test. I'm fairly certain that if I spend more time on it (and get some sleep) I could bump it up a couple of points.

As for the other stuff: GPA = 3.65 (Science = 3.67), spent 100 hours volunteering in a hospital (plan to do 200 more before I apply), spent 50 hours shadowing a family practitioner, summer research fellowship and some decent non pre-med ECs as well.

I'm an Iowa resident and I think, as it stands now, I have a pretty good shot at getting into the U of I med school. But, I'd really like to leave Iowa for a couple of years, so I'm thinking of retaking it just so that I have a better shot at similar quality, out of state schools. Think its worth it?

33O (12 BS, 11 PS, 10 V)

I'm debating about retaking it. I spent about 3 weeks studying and got 3 hours of sleep the night before the test. I'm fairly certain that if I spend more time on it (and get some sleep) I could bump it up a couple of points.

As for the other stuff: GPA = 3.65 (Science = 3.67), spent 100 hours volunteering in a hospital (plan to do 200 more before I apply), spent 50 hours shadowing a family practitioner, summer research fellowship and some decent non pre-med ECs as well.

I'm an Iowa resident and I think, as it stands now, I have a pretty good shot at getting into the U of I med school. But, I'd really like to leave Iowa for a couple of years, so I'm thinking of retaking it just so that I have a better shot at similar quality, out of state schools. Think its worth it?

I retook with a 33 with similar events leading up to the test, but my subscores were really unbalanced and I'm considering MDPhD. I wouldn't recommend retaking as there are plenty of private schools that are friendly to OOS applicants where you would be competitive. It's a lot of work to do things properly and your score may not increase that much, so save yourself the time. Concentrate on you classes and EC's and then relax a bit instead of studying for the MCAT.

I was initially shocked and horrified at my scores, which were
11 VR
11 PS
10 BS
Q W
Since it was lower than my score of a 33Q from the first test I took (in 2001, scores now expired), and my practice test scores were 34-35. I was expecting to go up.

I was initially wondering if I should retake, but now I think I've gained some perspective, and I'm just going to stick with what I've got.

:laugh: "shocked and horrified"

yikes

:laugh: "shocked and horrified"

yikes

I concur! We all have different expectations, I suppose. It depends on your peer group and where you wanna get in. If I got that first time around, I'd be living on cloud 9. :D :p

although it must be difficult for everyone who ends up with a score lower than he/she expected, I can't help but feel slightly discouraged as I read the numerous posts from those who are retaking this test after scoring a "meager" 33 :scared:(well, anything 30+, really), and questioning whether such scores would suffice... i apologize if i'm coming across as bitter and/or envious (but part of me is haha).

after studying all summer (f/t research job and all- wahooo), I was hospitalized for a chronic illness and could not sit for the august exam. studied a 2nd time all fall-winter for the january exam, and was (obviously) disappointed when a whopping 25 (9 VR, 8 PS, 8BS) boomeranged back to slap me in the face. i'm determined to apply for 2008 admission, so second time's a charm (3rd time studying yayy).. sitting for the test may 11th. this, i know, leaves me with only 2 months to determine my weaknesses, and make them concrete.

moral of the story: i know improving one's score by 5 pts in 2 months is a tad far-reaching (like many others, i cannot begin studying until after 7ish when work is finished), but I NEED to do it. no ifs ands or buts. so for the rest of you out there worrying if you'll be able to raise your score from a 35 to 37 or what-have-you... you've already made the cutoff, so the wrinkles you're generating in btw your eyebrows is very much unnecessary. +pity+
sorry to be so fiesty, but you get my drift.

~buena suerte to all

although it must be difficult for everyone who ends up with a score lower than he/she expected, I can't help but feel slightly discouraged as I read the numerous posts from those who are retaking this test after scoring a "meager" 33 :scared:(well, anything 30+, really), and questioning whether such scores would suffice... i apologize if i'm coming across as bitter and/or envious (but part of me is haha).

after studying all summer (f/t research job and all- wahooo), I was hospitalized for a chronic illness and could not sit for the august exam. studied a 2nd time all fall-winter for the january exam, and was (obviously) disappointed when a whopping 25 (9 VR, 8 PS, 8BS) boomeranged back to slap me in the face. i'm determined to apply for 2008 admission, so second time's a charm (3rd time studying yayy).. sitting for the test may 11th. this, i know, leaves me with only 2 months to determine my weaknesses, and make them concrete.

moral of the story: i know improving one's score by 5 pts in 2 months is a tad far-reaching (like many others, i cannot begin studying until after 7ish when work is finished), but I NEED to do it. no ifs ands or buts. so for the rest of you out there worrying if you'll be able to raise your score from a 35 to 37 or what-have-you... you've already made the cutoff, so the wrinkles you're generating in btw your eyebrows is very much unnecessary. +pity+
sorry to be so fiesty, but you get my drift.

~buena suerte to all

I cannot agree more...thank god someone finally speaks what's on my mind...but when I put myself from the perspective of those who got 30+, I absolutely can fathom their desires...I mean who doesn't want to get richer when you're rich already? For me I'll be in AUS suntanning by the gorgeous beaches or bungee-jumping off the mountains in NZ if I got even a 30...personally, it doesn't matter where I go, it's how I turn out to be after where I go that matters...u get my point

I cannot agree more...thank god someone finally speaks what's on my mind...but when I put myself from the perspective of those who got 30+, I absolutely can fathom their desires...I mean who doesn't want to get richer when you're rich already? For me I'll be in AUS suntanning by the gorgeous beaches or bungee-jumping off the mountains in NZ if I got even a 30...personally, it doesn't matter where I go, it's how I turn out to be after where I go that matters...u get my point

Thank you! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: I could not agree with you more. Unfortunately, some NA's are focused solely on medical school and nothing outside of that.