Official: January 2013 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mehd School

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's never too early!

AAMC Hasn't officially released the '13 test dates yet, but unless something crazy happens they will stick somewhat to the old schedule and there will be but one (or two) administrations the end of January (around the 24th).

There has been a lot of talk of people planning on taking (or retaking) in January, so I figured we may as well converse in an organized fashion.

No writing section! It's too bad, too. I enjoyed the nap. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

On board.
I have already begun pre studying. I have rd through PR physics and completed the corresponding chapters in the PR science workbook.
I also completed the PR verbal course.
I am now going to read Bio . I still haven't decided should I choose PR or Kaplan Bio... I need help deciding.

IF I have time I will rewatch his physics vids,. My subscription ends in Oct. 13.. I think I am strong in Gen Chem and Orgo so I will not watch chads video on those.

My PR begins 10/13/12 and ends 1/22/2013... this course has a month break so I will try to finish all my content review in Dec.
In Jan. I will do AAMC FL, AAMC self assessments, and the official guide questions.
I just graduated so I am done with school but I am working as a tutor, I decided to limit my weekly hrs to 5 hrs.

Last edited:
I have a question I am pre studying for my PR course and I decided to read Bio since i already did Physics.... should I watch Chad Vids for gen chem and orgo instead of reading Bio for a pre study.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
. I still haven't decided should I choose PR or Kaplan Bio... I need help deciding.

Are you talking about Kaplan books, or online resources? I think Kaplan's online bio is currently the closest to the current style of bio passages. They require experiment analyzation and harvesting information directly from graphs and the passage. I took the 8/4 test that had a beast mode BS section. I'm actually using TBR, EK, and Kaplan online for bio. I can't speak for TPR bio because I've never used it.

If you were talking about Kaplan bio book, though, skip it. The entire Kaplan book series is bottom of the barrel stuff. It's like they tried to meet in the middle of EK and TBR and failed miserably at it. :thumbdown:

Once again, though, Kaplans online stuff is GOLD.

Verbal killed me too :( I took it last April in my second semester senior year (bad idea). Hence re-take in January. A bit worried about sticking to study plan since I have a full time job but I'm starting way earlier than I did for April exam so hopefully it will work out this time! I'm also planning to go through all BR, some EK and some TPR. Aiming for 10+ for verbal, 12+ for sciences.

A bit worried about sticking to study plan since I have a full time job

I feel ya man. :oops:

Between school and work I'm regularly at 60 hours per week. I'd like to study 15+ per week up until December, then step it up to 20-25. :scared:

Lets get this damned thing over with.

Are you talking about Kaplan books, or online resources? I think Kaplan's online bio is currently the closest to the current style of bio passages. They require experiment analyzation and harvesting information directly from graphs and the passage. I took the 8/4 test that had a beast mode BS section. I'm actually using TBR, EK, and Kaplan online for bio. I can't speak for TPR bio because I've never used it.

If you were talking about Kaplan bio book, though, skip it. The entire Kaplan book series is bottom of the barrel stuff. It's like they tried to meet in the middle of EK and TBR and failed miserably at it. :thumbdown:

Once again, though, Kaplans online stuff is GOLD.

I was talking abt their bio textbk so I will stick with reading TPR.

I feel ya man. :oops:

Between school and work I'm regularly at 60 hours per week. I'd like to study 15+ per week up until December, then step it up to 20-25. :scared:

Lets get this damned thing over with.

SO TRUE !!! , I work full time as a nurse in ICU, This continuous Stress at work then This MCAT has literally fried my brain.. I am taking my exam on 10/7.. not sure if i am prepared enough... But I will retake it in January, and give it one last shot.... :bang:

SO TRUE !!! , I work full time as a nurse in ICU, This continuous Stress at work then This MCAT has literally fried my brain.. I am taking my exam on 10/7.. not sure if i am prepared enough... But I will retake it in January, and give it one last shot.... :bang:

Whoa there. How are you taking yours on 10/7? I thought the last date offered in 2012 was 9/11 and then a jump to January (which hasn't been released yet). I'm assuming you're outside the US?

I need some help I have my PR course starts in Oct so I have until Oct to pre prep.... I have been doing EK 101 my average is about a 8... I read PR physics and did the free standing question in the science wkbk....

NOW I do not know should I use my reminding time to watch Chad vids.. for gen chem, orgo and physics or just pre read biology.... I wanted to pre read biology but most people are saying the bio section is similar to verbal so I don't want to waste my time... Please reply.

Umm ! i meant 9/7 .. There I am loosing my mind !! lol

:laugh::thumbup:

I need some help I have my PR course starts in Oct so I have until Oct to pre prep.... I have been doing EK 101 my average is about a 8... I read PR physics and did the free standing question in the science wkbk....

NOW I do not know should I use my reminding time to watch Chad vids.. for gen chem, orgo and physics or just pre read biology.... I wanted to pre read biology but most people are saying the bio section is similar to verbal so I don't want to waste my time... Please reply.

How do you feel content wise with bio? Do you have a strong background? My 8/4 test, AKA beast mode bio day, was a mixed bag. It was either so detailed it wasn't funny, or you had to analyze a passage that may or may not have been translated from chinese (it was impossibly hard to follow. two passages were like this).

If I were you and had a PR course coming up, I'd do my best right now to hit my weakest spots. If that happens to be bio, then attack bio. I don't think it is a poor strategy to blatantly over prepare for the BS section. Get a grasp on the weaknesses, and during your PR class you can polish them along with other content you are more comfortable with. :thumbup:

:laugh::thumbup:

How do you feel content wise with bio? Do you have a strong background? My 8/4 test, AKA beast mode bio day, was a mixed bag. It was either so detailed it wasn't funny, or you had to analyze a passage that may or may not have been translated from chinese (it was impossibly hard to follow. two passages were like this).

If I were you and had a PR course coming up, I'd do my best right now to hit my weakest spots. If that happens to be bio, then attack bio. I don't think it is a poor strategy to blatantly over prepare for the BS section. Get a grasp on the weaknesses, and during your PR class you can polish them along with other content you are more comfortable with. :thumbup:

Thanks I will read bio then ... I feel strong in gen chem and orgo so I will just rd PR bio and if I have extra time I will rewatch Chad's Physics Vids.

Members don't see this ad :)
Currently Applicant. I am thinking of taking the January Test. I have taken it before and scored 31+ but my GPA is so low and I have racked up so many credits, the MCAT may be my only option in terms of improving my application in case I do not get in this year.

If anyone else who has taken it before and did well wants a study partner PM me. I hate to be so unhelpful to people just starting studying but I would prefer to have someone who scored well on a previous MCAT or is doing 31+ on practice exams. Just so they can teach me just as much as I teach them.

So I finally come to the decision that I will read Kaplan Bio and rewatch Chad's Physics until my PR course.

Last edited:
Where are you guys?

I am so frustrated right now. Outside my house is flooded, so I cant go out to relieve frustration.
I fell like skipping the MCAT bio section, I will just want until I start the course to review Bio.
I decided I will just watch Chad's Vids for physics, gen chem and orgo until my class starts.... I realize it so early in the game I probably will not remember anything.

Checking in guys. Took it on May 19th and got an 18 (I know) I planned on taking it sometime in December, but there's no dates for that :(, so it looks like I'm holding it down for January.

Aren't you guys worried for retaining the material for this long?

Btw, when should the January MCAT dates be released?

You can NEVER study enough.. if you fear retaining the info... I would just reread some of the content you did in the beginning.... trust me repetition works.... that's how we learned the abc's.

Jan test score should be released in the first wk of march but since the writing section is gone it could be earlier than that.

PremedSS, do you mind sharing want you think you did wrong?

You can NEVER study enough.. if you fear retaining the info... I would just reread some of the content you did in the beginning.... trust me repetition works.... that's how we learned the abc's.

Jan test score should be released in the first wk of march but since the writing section is gone it could be earlier than that.

PremedSS, do you mind sharing want you think you did wrong?

Honestly? Everything. My personal shortcomings reflected itself in my studying for the exam. One being that I'm always scared to take the next step, which translated as me being scared to take practice exams as I had scheduled and I decided to review more content, but content doesn't really go far as I've learned. It was just my way of putting off possibly disappointing news :(

The only thing I did decently in was Verbal (Got a 9).

Physics was another major issue for me. I never had good physics teachers and the class had a MAJOR curve because of how bad the grades were. So essentially, I've taken physics, gotten A-'s, but I never LEARNED physics.

Other than that, its hard for me to say anything in particular was the problem because judging from my score, EVERYTHING was the problem (except Verbal, I'd argue)

This is probably a longer response than you expected. I'm sorry :oops:

Last edited:
No need to apologize for a long response.
I too had an easy Physics course and never learned Physics.
I was thinking about given up on the MCAT and taken the DAT because I could not understand Physics for ****.... I was reading Nova, EK, Kaplan, TBR, TPR and several textbooks.
Then I decided to watch Chad vids along with PR physics and I finally understood it, in fact I understand Physics so good now I tutor Physics.
Just to inform you it took me a while to understand Physics I think it took my abt 2 months to actually complete the PR physics book.

When writing this post, it made me realize that I should not give up on learning the Bio section so now until my TPR course starts I will focus on Bio and Physics. I will read Kaplan and PR Bio until Oct. and in Oct. I will rewatch Chads vids.

I was always good in Chemistry, I use to study 3 days before a test in Chemistry and get A's on the test, so I will relearn Gen Chem and Orgo with TPR when my class starts.....

Last edited:
No need to apologize for a long response.
I too had an easy Physics course and never learned Physics.
I was thinking about given up on the MCAT and taken the DAT because I could not understand Physics for ****.... I was reading Nova, EK, Kaplan, TBR, TPR and several textbooks.
Then I decided to watch Chad vids along with PR physics and I finally understood it, in fact I understand Physics so good now I tutor Physics.
Just to inform you it took me a while to understand Physics I think it took my abt 2 months to actually complete the PR physics book.

I've always joked about that myself. :laugh:

I don't mind studying for roughly 5 months, its just that I would've hoped to have everything done by November/December, I just didn't know there weren't MCAT dates for those months. Seeing as how I graduated Feb '12 (Semester early), and I missed all dates for this ongoing cycle, there's nothing to do but study and apply for the upcoming cycle. Still, January seems forever from now. :eek:

I've always joked about that myself. :laugh:

I don't mind studying for roughly 5 months, its just that I would've hoped to have everything done by November/December, I just didn't know there weren't MCAT dates for those months. Seeing as how I graduated Feb '12 (Semester early), and I missed all dates for this ongoing cycle, there's nothing to do but study and apply for the upcoming cycle. Still, January seems forever from now. :eek:

If I were you I would start studying now then 6 weeks before the test focus on FLs.
You might want to go over your sciences individually before doing them integrated. That is how I am doing Physics and Biology..

Last edited:
If I were you I would start studying now then 6 weeks before the test focus on FLs.
You might want to go over your sciences individually before doing them integrated. That is how I am doing Physics and Biology..

I was thinking maybe I could integrate, as well as do a practice exam every week. I have 11 Kaplan, some TPR from the online material, and 10 AAMC ones

:confused:

Ah, it's good to see this thread started! I started my official content review yesterday. I graduated 3 years ago... so a lot of this stuff is from 6 and 7 years ago for me (and honestly, some stuff I just didn't understand really at the time). I'm using Chad's videos for now (taking notes and doing the quizzes at the end). So far, I've really like the ones I've watched. I'll probably watch selected physics videos on topics my classes didn't cover, but I just finished taking physics a couple of weeks ago and feel like I actually learned a lot (woo!), so content review in that area shouldn't take too long.

Game plan after that is probably to take the AAMC self assessment to pick out my weakest areas/start seeing MCAT style questions, then use TBR/EK 1001 and some assorted other books I got for free from friends. I'll probably start with a practice test or two in Nov., but I'll save most of them for December/January leading up to the real deal. Oh and this summer I was able to switch from full-time to part-time at my job (in a hospital) while I took physics. Now I'm hoping I can stretch this part-time deal out through fall/winter so I can really attack the MCAT... I might be broke, but a sweet MCAT score would totally be worth it.

I was thinking maybe I could integrate, as well as do a practice exam every week. I have 11 Kaplan, some TPR from the online material, and 10 AAMC ones

:confused:
Whatever you believe will work best for you...when I was in college I could never study for two different classes on the same day or simultaneously ( I had to cram for a bio exam on tues once cause my orgo exam was monday and there are so many others exam I had to cram for because the test dates were to close.)

From my experience in college I know I would not be able to learn with the integrated method.

I will take it in Jan God Willing I'm scheduled for Sept 6 but I know I am not ready and couldn't get myself to sit down and study for the last month or so , few things were going on ...I was studying hardcore for about a month and just slowed down/ literally just stopped for 2 weeks and couldn't pick up , I decided that I will take the test anyway but definitely VOIDING,taking it in Sept or Jan is not going to do anything I still can't apply this year so the more time = better preparation hopefully I have TBR,EK1001 , EK books and recently discovered Chad's videos and will be using them Good Luck to everyone!! hopefully we will all look back at this thread in a few months and say MISSION COMPLETE !

How many hrs are you guys studying?
For some strange reason I can only study 3-4 hrs a day.
I do take breaks ever 45 mins.
I wake up early in the morning around 5 and I am done by 1 I can not do anymore..... no I do not study straight from 5am to 1pm... this is included my break, like going to the gym, watching a movie, nap, etc.

Any one have some suggestion are is my studying okay.... I think it okay, but than I see some people who claim they study like 8 hrs in a day.

Taking it in January as well. I took it before, getting a 26 (ps 7, vr 10, bs 9) but I didn't have physics at that point. Now that I've done phys, I'm studying with an amended SDN schedule. I'll be working and taking 1 class during this time, so here's hoping I can get in 3 hours a day, probably 8 on the weekends.

Previously I used Kaplan, but I'm going with TBR now. It's way more detailed, but I think that'll be good for me.

Do you think EK 1001 or TBR is better for physical sciences? Is EK 1001 a must have or do you think if I'm pretty solid on content I shouldn't buy it?

I'm taking it in January too.. I feel like the only way I'll stay on track is if I make myself do problems every day. I just cant decide which books to use :/

From what I learn from sdn.. EK physics 1001 are too hard. I have EK physics 1001 and I dont use them, so if I were you I would do BR.

I'll probably be joining this thread as well. I went from May to this Sat and adding on January. Not happy about it but I work and my dad has been in the hospital for over a month and my practice scores are very bad. Problem is, I already applied to several schools. Should I even bother filling out secondaries?

~M

Should I even bother filling out secondaries?

~M

I assume you've taken it already once, right? If you can afford it, I would send them in. You've already "applied" to those schools, might as well see if you get in.

My content review has taken backseat to hurricane Isaac. I thought I'd be studying all along since classes are cancelled this week. However, since power is out, all I've been doing is drinking good beer and playing board games lol.

I thought that Kaplan Bio was adequate, but it wouldn't have garnered a 15. I haven't looked through TPR (or TBR) yet, but I will in about a week.

I was doing an AAMC passage from my Official Guide and for one of the questions you needed to know that the connective tissue is made from the mesoderm layer and Kaplan does not even mention that, I double check.
But then Kaplan does say that muscles come from the mesoderm layer... so I should have connected the dots.

I think I am going to use both PR and Kaplan for bio. mostly kaplan for the physiology section.

Last edited:
Greetings. I'm onboard for the January 2013 MCAT, as well.

I am in Afghanistan currently and trying to study during my down time, which, believe it or not, is going very well. It seems like I have more time here for studying than I would back home, if you can believe that.

Material: I am using SD2N's suggested material, which arrived to me last week (BR series, EK 1001, EK Verbal, etc...) along with EK's Audio Osmosis. While I'm using his general outline, I am making some changes and modifications to how I approach it/which sections I study in which order, etc...and integrating the Audio Osmosis lectures throughout the corresponding topics I am studying. But I am still using the suggested material.

I have not taken the MCAT before, so this will be my first.

Good luck to all.

I also wanted to add, when I am in The PR course I think I am going going to do the passage based questions and only do the free response if I have time, which I doubt.

For those who have already taken the MCAT do you any advice to give first timers ?
What would you have done differently?

I am planning on taking the test in January as well. Took it once before, last summer, and voided because I was having a terrible day. Starting my studying this week. Should be interesting now that I have a full-time job. I guess we'll see what happens. Good luck everyone.

So Have you guys started studying yet? how many hours give or take a day? I think it would be pretty cool to follow the 3 months schedule or modify it and have like an hour or so every night to go over concepts/discuss that were covered that day we can use Skype or Paltalk Anyone?