Official Jefferson Medical College Class of 2010!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
tigress said:
Is anybody going to the financial aid session next Friday? I'm considering going.

if you are going, can you keep us, who are out of state students and can't attend the meeting, update on the contents of the meeting? thanks

Members don't see this ad.

It looks like I won't be going, since a friend wants to meet for lunch that day (I haven't seen her in months). I don't really need the financial aid info so much, I just thought it would be a nice chance to meet some other people who've been accepted. Hopefully I'll be able to go to the second look weekend!

I'll be there, parents and all...way to make a first impression with the rest of the accepted students huh?!?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all,

Just wanted to introduce myself-- my name is Sarah (I go byLauren) and I'm from po-dunk-ville Nevada. I'll be attending Jefferson this fall. I'm so excited to meet all of you. I'm a little terrified of Philadelphia :eek: , but I guess I'll spread my wings with you guys!

Best

So I'm starting to consider living on-campus (well, I still have to convince my husband about it :rolleyes: ). Anybody has any experience with the Orlowitz or Barringer buildings? We just want to make sure it's not like an undergrad residence hall ;) Any information would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

I think their housing brochure has info on what housing is available to married people. I think. But it does have floor plans, so you can at least see what the apartments are like.

Has anybody done the supplemental financial aid info? I just wanted to let y'all know that my Campus Key with my initial password (SS#) didn't work, so tech support told me the easy way to fix that: go to the Jefferson Pulse website (http://pulse.jefferson.edu) and on the left side click "Forgot Password". Then just follow the directions to change your password. He said to do this rather than the Change Password option, because the latter doesn't always work :p

tigress said:
I think their housing brochure has info on what housing is available to married people. I think. But it does have floor plans, so you can at least see what the apartments are like.

Has anybody done the supplemental financial aid info? I just wanted to let y'all know that my Campus Key with my initial password (SS#) didn't work, so tech support told me the easy way to fix that: go to the Jefferson Pulse website (http://pulse.jefferson.edu) and on the left side click "Forgot Password". Then just follow the directions to change your password. He said to do this rather than the Change Password option, because the latter doesn't always work :p

Thanks Tigress, I do have the brochure :oops: I was just wondering if anybody has any personal experience with the apartment buildings. I faxed my application today, and I hope they let me know about the assignment early enough. Does anybody know how to get on the suppossed waitlist for the discounted monthly parking garage permits? It's unbelievable how expensive it is to have a car :thumbdown:
I'm almost done with the financial aid stuff, the only document missing is the one my parents have to sign, go figure! :rolleyes:

Since there will still be construction during our first year, avoid the first few floors of Orlowitz if you can (especially the high numbers like 108 ,208, etc. since those will are on the side closer to the noise). At the same time you may not want the highest floors cause of the long wait for the elevator and all the steps you have to climb down when the fire alarm goes off (and yes they'll go off a couple times during the year - and the first time you hear it, it will scare the crap out of you).

Both buildings are good value. Barringer's a bit pricier cause of the dishwasher (which has a reputation for not cleaning dishes) as well as a nicer lobby and cardio room. But orlowitz has me, so ehem, that obviously outweighs everything. hehe hope that helps!

I choose Martin Hall as my top choice, anyone with me? I wonder if anyone has experienced at this dorm share good thoughts about it?
So, does anyone know when will be the orientation for first year at Jeff? is it at the end of JUly?

Last year orientation started on August 1st. So probably the same day this year :)

aspiringdoctor said:
I choose Martin Hall as my top choice, anyone with me? I wonder if anyone has experienced at this dorm share good thoughts about it?
So, does anyone know when will be the orientation for first year at Jeff? is it at the end of JUly?

I got a tentative calendar in the mail awhile back that said the first day of orientation is July 31st.

polargirl said:
I got a tentative calendar in the mail awhile back that said the first day of orientation is July 31st.

Dont' you guys think that July 31st is too early to start.
Most other schools dont start until the end/mid August.

Most schools, in my experience, start at the beginning of August. Drexel starts the first week of August also (orientation was August 1st this year, like Jeff). Of the schools I'm considering, only one starts at the end of August (AECOM). Looks like Penn State starts the second week of August.

It is early if you think of it in comparison to college. But I guess med school is just different.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got the second look flier today in the mail! It's April 20th evening and 21st all day. It says "Details to follow."

That's a Thursday night and Friday, right? I hope those dates are right! Very exciting to me, since I was assuming it would be a Saturday and I wouldn't be able to attend (religious reasons)!

looking forward to meeting whoever can come :thumbup:

tigress said:
I got the second look flier today in the mail! It's April 20th evening and 21st all day. It says "Details to follow."

That's a Thursday night and Friday, right? I hope those dates are right! Very exciting to me, since I was assuming it would be a Saturday and I wouldn't be able to attend (religious reasons)!

looking forward to meeting whoever can come :thumbup:

I am probably coming.
I got the same flier today Tigress.
See you there.

I'm there too folks! Look forward to meeting you all!

I've lived in Martin for 2 years. It has its ups and downs.

The real advantage is that it costs half what anything else in the neighborhood does. Also, now that more medical students live here (when I started, it was empty,) you'll have alot of friends and there is definately more social cohesion here than the other buildings, which are like regular apartments (except that the rent system for Barringer and Orlowitz is basically extortion.) I like not having bills to pay; internet, heat, A/C, electricity are all free, and every floor has a cable TV in the lounge.

The downs? If you're a fan of crystal clean kitchens and facilities, Martin may be... well, the custodial service here isn't very active. Personally, I also like having my own bathroom and kitchen, so living in a dorm has been a bit wierd for me.

If you have more questions, let me know.

aspiringdoctor said:

Supadupafly said:
I've lived in Martin for 2 years. It has its ups and downs.

The real advantage is that it costs half what anything else in the neighborhood does. Also, now that more medical students live here (when I started, it was empty,) you'll have alot of friends and there is definately more social cohesion here than the other buildings, which are like regular apartments (except that the rent system for Barringer and Orlowitz is basically extortion.) I like not having bills to pay; internet, heat, A/C, electricity are all free, and every floor has a cable TV in the lounge.

The downs? If you're a fan of crystal clean kitchens and facilities, Martin may be... well, the custodial service here isn't very active. Personally, I also like having my own bathroom and kitchen, so living in a dorm has been a bit wierd for me.

If you have more questions, let me know.

thank you for your response,Supadupafly. It seems to me that there are more pros than cons in living at Martin hall, now i'm really excited to move in. I also love having my own bathroom and kitchen, but well, i'm not much of a cook, so that's ok if i have to share the kitchen. are there a lot of first year students living in Martin Hall? And usually how long you have to move in before the orientation? thank you for your help. Good luck with school.

Hi fellow classmates,

Does anyone know what the start date for academic classes is at JMC? It is no where to be found on the website. I am assuming that it is the Monday after orientation (August 8th)...but I'm suppose to be in my friend's wedding (with an ugly bridesmaid dress :mad: ) on August 7th, so I'm trying to plan (and find an excuse to ditch out on her)... I would appreciate any info you know!

Thanks,

Lauren

hi everyone,

just wondering at what point jeff will stop interviewing and how much notice people were given prior to their interviews... (I'm a currenty applicant who hasn't been invited to interview yet and also hasn't been rejected... yet)

thanks in advance.

tmb80 said:
hi everyone,

just wondering at what point jeff will stop interviewing and how much notice people were given prior to their interviews... (I'm a currenty applicant who hasn't been invited to interview yet and also hasn't been rejected... yet)

thanks in advance.

It's funny you ask that question - I was going on this thread right now to say that I just received an invite to interview yesterday (complete back in Sept, they automatically scheduled it for 4/5). Does anyone know if the class is pretty much full and I would just be interviewing for a waitlist spot? And what are some of the things that you guys loved about Jefferson when you visited? Just trying to figure out if I should attend the interview since I'm not sure I want to spend the money to travel to Philly again...

I've had 5 interviews inc Jefferson and Drexel. Of all the schools i interviewed at Jefferson, by far, has the happiest people. Students, faculty, and custodial staff ALL had smiles on their faces. The dean is really nice and has a nice little reception at the end to meet al the interviewees. Its worth a look (plus most people hear back really quickly). Good luck!

i know some med schools pay to fly in prospective candidates for second look weekend, does anyone know if jefferson is one of those schools?

hey all.

most of the first years living on campus are in barringer or orlowitz. barringer doesn't get the construction noise and the apartments are generally nicer (the kitchen has an island that opens up to the living room), but there's also less units available in barringer. the good news is that all first years are guaranteed housing, so no matter what - you'll have a place to live. i only know of a few people living in martin. i've never actually been in there so i can't say what it's like.

i live off-campus as a first-year, so if any of you have questions about what it's like - how to find housing, whether i feel left out (i don't - and my oncampus friends usually prefer to walk out to where i live to take a study break or get off campus for a while), how far it is from school (5 minutes), how safe the neighborhood is (i walk home from the library at 1 am, and no incidents yet - keep those fingers crossed), if a lot of first years live off campus (6 other first years live on my blockl) - feel free to send me a PM.

congratulations for getting in! and welcome to the family.

Nope. Thats mostly for PhD programs.

copthorne said:
i know some med schools pay to fly in prospective candidates for second look weekend, does anyone know if jefferson is one of those schools?

They keep spots open so that late interviewers have as much a chance as early interviewers... also one explaination for why Jeff doesnt interview many students.

lyn2006 said:
It's funny you ask that question - I was going on this thread right now to say that I just received an invite to interview yesterday (complete back in Sept, they automatically scheduled it for 4/5). Does anyone know if the class is pretty much full and I would just be interviewing for a waitlist spot? And what are some of the things that you guys loved about Jefferson when you visited? Just trying to figure out if I should attend the interview since I'm not sure I want to spend the money to travel to Philly again...

Academic classes start after a week of orientation. You don't want a late start though. And you MUST be at the registration the week before or they will cut you and give your spot to someone on the waitlist. In other words... probably a bad time to be in a wedding.

curlycorday said:
Hi fellow classmates,

Does anyone know what the start date for academic classes is at JMC? It is no where to be found on the website. I am assuming that it is the Monday after orientation (August 8th)...but I'm suppose to be in my friend's wedding (with an ugly bridesmaid dress :mad: ) on August 7th, so I'm trying to plan (and find an excuse to ditch out on her)... I would appreciate any info you know!

Thanks,

Lauren

Supadupafly said:
Academic classes start after a week of orientation. You don't want a late start though. And you MUST be at the registration the week before or they will cut you and give your spot to someone on the waitlist. In other words... probably a bad time to be in a wedding.

Thanks for the info! I'm not sure why thats not posted anywhere, but I think I'll have to return my dress (damn....) and peace-out of this one! See you soon....p.s. UNR alumni rock!

got the formal invite for Second Look yesterday. In case you guys were wondering about the exact times: April 20th Thursday 5-7pm and Friday April 21st, 8:30-4:30pm.

ajs08 said:
got the formal invite for Second Look yesterday. In case you guys were wondering about the exact times: April 20th Thursday 5-7pm and Friday April 21st, 8:30-4:30pm.

Did they provide any details as to .... well, what activities are planned?? my momma wants to come with, but I don't want her to be bored. :sleep:

I couldn't get off work to go.
I'm really bummed.

details for 2nd look..

Thursday: 5-7pm (Welcome Reception)

Friday: 8:30 Breakfast and Welcome
8:45-9:30 Financial Aid and Student Record Overview
9:40-10:40 Learning Resources at Jeff
10:45-11:15 JMC Curriculum Update
11:20-12pm Community Outreach
12-1pm Lunch w/ students and faculty

1:15-2:30pm Clinical Tours
(ER, Internal Med, Orthopedics, Neurosurgery, Pediatrics, Radiology, Surgery)

2:45-3:15 International Opportunities
3:30-4:30 Cultural Diversity

thanks ajs08!!
hopefully i'll see you there :)

Supadupafly said:
They keep spots open so that late interviewers have as much a chance as early interviewers... also one explaination for why Jeff doesnt interview many students.

Thanks Supadupafly! I figured I might as well go since it can't hurt to go to more interviews. And I'm glad to hear that my chances won't have decreased since I'm interviewing late.

Do they accept a lot of their interviewees since they interview so few people?

are there any more details about the welcome reception on thursday from 5-7? it's difficult for me to make it out that early, and i'm not sure if i should really try to make it or not. any ideas?

copthorne said:
are there any more details about the welcome reception on thursday from 5-7? it's difficult for me to make it out that early, and i'm not sure if i should really try to make it or not. any ideas?

I don't think you should bother; you won't miss much. I didn't find any of the "second look" events extremely helpful last year. It was fun to just meet some of my instructors and classmates.

Hey Guys,

My name is Olga and I will be attending Jeff in the fall. I really loved the school and I am going to the second look session on Thursday, I think it's April 21st. Not sure, I have to find my card. I just have a question, does anyone know how many students fail out of Jeff their first year? The doctor I work for keeps telling me that Jeff has a really high failure rate and they fail students on purpose. That's why the class is so big. He say, they don't make sure you pass unlike some other schools. He is really starting to scare me. Is this true or is he just doing this because he is partial to Temple?

Belarus1995 said:
Hey Guys,

My name is Olga and I will be attending Jeff in the fall. I really loved the school and I am going to the second look session on Thursday, I think it's April 21st. Not sure, I have to find my card. I just have a question, does anyone know how many students fail out of Jeff their first year? The doctor I work for keeps telling me that Jeff has a really high failure rate and they fail students on purpose. That's why the class is so big. He say, they don't make sure you pass unlike some other schools. He is really starting to scare me. Is this true or is he just doing this because he is partial to Temple?

So NOT true. It doesn't even make sense ... what would be the point of creating a big class if you didn't want to end up graduating a big class? Why not just admit less people? Yeah... whoever told you that is just really misinformed or something.

Hey guys! I was just wondering how housing is going to work.. a friend and i are both jeff-bound and want to make sure we live together potentially on campus. our other friend just interviewed today, so we wont find out about her for a week or two... but if she does get in, we would want to pull her in as a roomate too... any of you guys going through a similar situation?

sooo excited to be classmates with you all! :love:

Nittany Lion said:
So NOT true. It doesn't even make sense ... what would be the point of creating a big class if you didn't want to end up graduating a big class? Why not just admit less people? Yeah... whoever told you that is just really misinformed or something.

Well, I didn't believe him either but I didnt want to say anything. He has been practicing medicine for 40 years and had been on the admissions board for Temple and interviewed residents at Wills Eye Hospital. Obviously, you don't want to argue with someone who has been involved with several medical schools and the admission's procedures for so long. I tried to research some statistics but found nothing. I guess that's a good sign. Well, it doesn't matter anyway, Jefferson was my top choice and I will be going there no matter what he says. I just think he really wants me to go to Temple because he went there himself.

Belarus1995 said:
Well, I didn't believe him either but I didnt want to say anything. He has been practicing medicine for 40 years and had been on the admissions board for Temple and interviewed residents at Wills Eye Hospital. Obviously, you don't want to argue with someone who has been involved with several medical schools and the admission's procedures for so long. I tried to research some statistics but found nothing. I guess that's a good sign. Well, it doesn't matter anyway, Jefferson was my top choice and I will be going there no matter what he says. I just think he really wants me to go to Temple because he went there himself.

I also had a few friends who were really discouraged from coming here by older docs too. Who knows what the real reason is, but maybe it just boils down to the fact that the environment here (and in medical schools in general) was a lot less supportive back in the day than it is now. While it's always great to get a wide range of perspectives, what matters the most is what current or more recent students are saying about the school because that speaks to the current learning conditions.

P.S. I'm really happy here at Jefferson ;)

Belarus1995 said:
Hey Guys,

haha that's even funnier since they stressed to us that if we fail, it makes THEM look bad. if you fail a class during the year, you also get a second chance to pass it in the summer. no worries. :thumbup:

Have you guys finished filing your financial aid forms yet? I'm pretty much done, but I'm having trouble figuring out how to fill out an MPN without also applying for money - or do I have to do both at once? Also, I've been trying to find the entrance interview information link on the website with no success, has anyone been able to find it?

Who's going to the second look? I'm definetly going!

Hi again everyone. I'll also definitely be going to Second Look. Rush2, my mother also wanted to come along to see the school, and I e-mailed admissions to ask if she could at least come to some of the information sessions on the second day. They told me it was strictly for students, but if she wanted to take her own tour she could check in with Admissions and also go to Housing to get information. Maybe both Moms could get together and tour together!

Has anyone found a reasonably priced hotel to stay at for the night of the 20th? I've been looking at the ones in downtown Philly and the prices seem pretty steep. Anyone have any luck? Thanks, and hope to see you all there. :love:

polargirl said:
Have you guys finished filing your financial aid forms yet? I'm pretty much done, but I'm having trouble figuring out how to fill out an MPN without also applying for money - or do I have to do both at once? Also, I've been trying to find the entrance interview information link on the website with no success, has anyone been able to find it?

Who's going to the second look? I'm definetly going!

I started and now I'm not even sure I want to finish...there are SOOO many paths and errors..
It's very long and not user friendly.
I definitely have a lot of questions and that website does not help.

Yeah i just checked my status as far as the forms that I filled out for financial aid, and I am missing the Federally Required Entrance Interview... does anybody know where I could find this thing? very mysterious

Also is there a way to see the new match list for Jeff? if anyone has a link to it, that would be stellar.

DNA.... about housing... i think there's a spot on the app to list names of potential roommates?? did you and your friend already fill that out? and i think the newly interviewed friend can apply now too... apparently you don't have to be accepted to apply for housing (pretty sure i read that somewhere)

Cruisegrl... ya, my mom has found something better to do with her weekend, and has since ditched me :oops: And I'm also not finding any reasonable hotel rates... i'm still looking though, and i'll let you know if i find anything that's not a small fortune. Good luck!

Hi all,

My name's Mae and I decided on Jeff to attend this fall. Just wanted to say whats up!!! I am really psyched about next year. I am a Philly native so I'll move back home and take Septa into the city everyday, like a 25 min ride.

My house has a pool and deck... so I was thinking a little kegger/BBQ action during orientation. haha.

Can't wait to meet you guys! I'm going to the "second look" stuff on Thursday and Friday...find me! :D

DNAroolez said:
Yeah i just checked my status as far as the forms that I filled out for financial aid, and I am missing the Federally Required Entrance Interview... does anybody know where I could find this thing? very mysterious

Hey guys,
I found a past link that lets you do the Entrance Interview:
http://www2.accessgroup.org/education_pr/counseling.htm

As far as the MPN goes you just go to the Jeff Finacial Aid page and you have the links for the lenders. I did mine with THE and it did not ask me to start the loan process. Just click on the links, set up an online account and it will guide you through the process.

Does anybody know when do we have to apply for the loans? After we receive the finaid package?

hey guys i'm attending the second look and i'm ninety percent on Jeff for next year. just wondering if anyone will be up for drinks and socializing after all the formality of the day. oh, and put in my rsvp for that first week keg party. so there!