Official Jefferson Medical College Class of 2010!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey,
I'm really excited to go to Jefferson! I go to school in Philly now so I wont be moving too far. I just wanted to say Hi to everyone

Members don't see this ad.

I heart Biology said:
Hey,
I'm really excited to go to Jefferson! I go to school in Philly now so I wont be moving too far. I just wanted to say Hi to everyone

Welcome to the club! ;)

...I called the Ad.Office and asked about the deposit, and they told me the check should be payable to Jeff Med College and sent to the Admissions Office. It makes me feel closer to the beginning of classes :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Tristy said:
...I called the Ad.Office and asked about the deposit, and they told me the check should be payable to Jeff Med College and sent to the Admissions Office. It makes me feel closer to the beginning of classes :D

what deposit?

rush2 said:
what deposit?

The $100 deposit to hold your seat in the class.

Tristy said:
The $100 deposit to hold your seat in the class.

Is that the same deposit that was due right after you were accepted to hold your place or is an additional one due by may 15th?

I heart Biology said:
Is that the same deposit that was due right after you were accepted to hold your place or is an additional one due by may 15th?

Just one deposit! It wasn't actually due until May 15th. I sent mine in when I was accepted, too, because I didn't realize that! :)

tigress said:
Just one deposit! It wasn't actually due until May 15th. I sent mine in when I was accepted, too, because I didn't realize that! :)

Thanks, I assumed it was due within two weeks of being accepted, but I guess you just had to say you accepted the spot then

Hey guys,

I have just officially joined SDN and am definitely going to Jeff this fall. =) Excited to meet you all (again) this fall. Btw, if you're wondering if your deposit ever has been recieved, you have to call the admissions office to confirm.

Anyone interested living in a two bedroom apt in Barringer or Orlowitz with an East-Asian, Cali guy who graduated last year? I'm big on cleaniness (i think) and wutev on neatness. PM me if interested!

Bump!

When are you guys planning on moving to Philly? I tried to plan the move with my husband for around July 8 or 9. I guess it depends on the DSH :rolleyes: I don't know about you, but I seriously cannot wait to quit my crappy job and start school....I HATE call centers.....there, I'm done bi@tching. :D

I put on my housing application that I'd like to move out there in mid to late July so I suppose it's up to the Housing folks to figure it out for me. I don't want to have to pay for an extra month's rent since it wouldn't be covered by the money i'm borrowing/finaid...at least i don't think it would be. Either way, I wouldn't have much to do if I moved out there too early by myself so I'm waiting till just before orientation.

rk

JMC2010 said:
I put on my housing application that I'd like to move out there in mid to late July so I suppose it's up to the Housing folks to figure it out for me. I don't want to have to pay for an extra month's rent since it wouldn't be covered by the money i'm borrowing/finaid...at least i don't think it would be. Either way, I wouldn't have much to do if I moved out there too early by myself so I'm waiting till just before orientation.

rk

Hello all! I'm another Jeff 2010-er and very much looking forward to meeting you all come August. But what's this about a Housing application? AAaah! Where do I get one? I'm in Central America right now and relying on my parents to forward me this stuff! I haven't missed the deadline, have I? Thanks for the help!

jeanneson said:
Hello all! I'm another Jeff 2010-er and very much looking forward to meeting you all come August. But what's this about a Housing application? AAaah! Where do I get one? I'm in Central America right now and relying on my parents to forward me this stuff! I haven't missed the deadline, have I? Thanks for the help!

Hi, here is a link to download the housing application http://www.jefferson.edu/housing/apply.cfm
You just have to apply by June 30th to be guaranteed housing. hope this helps

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, does anyone know when our white coat ceremony is this year? Sorry to ask questions that can probably be answered using the information packet but, like I said before, I am in central america (and my parents claim no such packet exists!) Cant find anything recent on the website either...

Thanks!

jeanneson said:
Hey guys, does anyone know when our white coat ceremony is this year? Sorry to ask questions that can probably be answered using the information packet but, like I said before, I am in central america (and my parents claim no such packet exists!) Cant find anything recent on the website either...

Thanks!

White Coat is Friday, August 4th in the morning if I remember correctly. :)

CruiseGrl7 said:
White Coat is Friday, August 4th in the morning if I remember correctly. :)

Perfect! Thanks.

JMC2010 said:

rk

I know what you mean, I'm just desperate to get on the yellow brick road and get the heck out of here ;)

Hey all,

I saw some things on the website under AOA about suggestions for texts. My profs at school can get me some free books from publishers, and I wanted to know if anyone knew what books we'd be using? (No, Im not that anxious to start studying...just want some freebies)

I think a 2nd year told me Gray's Anatomy (Drake, et al), the website suggests Moore and Daley's Essential Clinical Anatomy which is supposed to be the gold standard.

Any suggestions/thoughts (maybe current students) on what books to get???

blondMD said:
Hey all,

I saw some things on the website under AOA about suggestions for texts. My profs at school can get me some free books from publishers, and I wanted to know if anyone knew what books we'd be using? (No, Im not that anxious to start studying...just want some freebies)

I think a 2nd year told me Gray's Anatomy (Drake, et al), the website suggests Moore and Daley's Essential Clinical Anatomy which is supposed to be the gold standard.

Don't buy Grey's. The edition that the professors use as the 'required' text has a lot of errors in it, and you really won't use an anatomy text that often. If you're going to get one (especially if it's going to be free), invest in Moore's. It's too dense to just read, but it's a great resource for referencing things from your notes.
Also, Netter's is best you can get for anatomy. However, when you join one of the student organizations here for like $20 (Maybe AMSA?), you get a free Netter's, so you end up paying much less than you would for just the book. Aside from those two books, I wouldn't look at anything else other than a board review book, either BRS or High Yield, and only really use those for the practice questions. They aren't detailed enough to study from.

blondMD said:
Hey all,

If you wait until you get to school, they usually have a "study skills" session for Anatomy (and for the rest of your classes) where the 2nd years tell you which books they used and which ones they didn't, as well as study tips. You'll find that most people will tell you different books because everyone learns differently, but the common factor will be Netter's Anatomy (there's one other atlas that was popular, but I can't remember the name right now).

Most of the pictures used in the powerpoint lectures are from Gray's or Netter's, with the occasional Moore. I bought the Gray's initially out of fear that if I didn't - I would fail anatomy. I didn't end up using it at all. My friend however, used it a good amount.

My advice is to wait until the first week of anatomy is over and then decide whether you're a textbook person or not.

EDIT: One thing to keep in mind is that when the AOA people were in Anatomy, the Moore was the required text, and the change to Gray's is fairly recent.

Is it weird that I'm excited about the white coat ceremony at Jeff? Are you folks bringing the parents and all that? Has anyone been? I mean, is it a serious ceremony or sort of a quick thing where i'll feel stupid for making my girlfriend and parents fly up to philly?

JMC2010 said:
Is it weird that I'm excited about the white coat ceremony at Jeff? Are you folks bringing the parents and all that? Has anyone been? I mean, is it a serious ceremony or sort of a quick thing where i'll feel stupid for making my girlfriend and parents fly up to philly?

Our white coat ceremony was out on Scott Plaza (currently where the construction is) and was around 2.5 hours long. It's a pretty laid back ceremony, but at the same time, I think it's a really nice one. You sit as a class (not with your guests), but towards the end, there's a break where you take your coat and one of your guests puts it on you. If your family/friends can't make it, one of the faculty MDs will do the honor for you. I don't think it's weird that you're excited... it's an exciting day after you've had your week full of Orientation activities. Basically, if your family can't make it it's not a huge deal, but if they can, it's really nice. While the ceremony isn't very long or formal, most students spend at least Friday and some of Saturday showing off the city once you've gotten some time to see it yourself.

I'm excited for the white coat too! Ready to peace out of NY and head to philly!

Hey guys,

I was checking the Banner website finaid info and aparently it says that the expected date (payment schedule) for the scholarships and LDS is on June 13th. Does that mean that I will receive that money on June 13th?
Thanks!

I'm pretty sure you can't get your loan checks until the loans are in and processed at the school. So for us last year it was during orientation. I dont think they are ready before that.

Hey everyone,

Just got the call from Dr. Callahan today! I'm pretty excited.

I submited my FAFSA a while ago, but what else do I need to do?

scrambizle said:
Hey everyone,

Congrats!
Let's see, if you've done your fafsa the next step is to log onto pulse at www.jefferson.edu, go under banner, jmc, and then financial aid...and basically start filling in all kinds of fun things for loans and such. It's not too time-consuming though. Look under jmc's website for more financial aid directions...i think it's under matriculating students (much easier to understand than me and it outlines all the steps). In a few weeks they'll send you finaid info but it's all on the website if you want to get a head start. Oh, and don't forget to send in your deposit to secure your place in the class! After that you should fill out the housing application which is also on the JMC website. hope this helps.

By the way, If anyone is looking for a roommate, pm me.

rk

scrambizle said:
Hey everyone,

Congrats!
Let's see, if you've done your fafsa the next step is to log onto pulse at www.jefferson.edu, go under banner, jmc, and then financial aid...and basically start filling in all kinds of fun things for loans and such. It's not too time-consuming though. Look under jmc's website for more financial aid directions...i think it's under matriculating students (much easier to understand than me and it outlines all the steps). In a few weeks they'll send you finaid info but it's all on the website if you want to get a head start. Oh, and don't forget to send in your deposit to secure your place in the class! After that you should fill out the housing application which is also on the JMC website. hope this helps.

rk

Does anyone have an idea when we will find out about our offers for housing? Me and my roomates got our contracts in early, and I know that I am guaranteed since I got the contract in before the required date, but it would be nice to know if I am stuck in my 9th choice housing, that way I can start apartment shopping! Does anyone have an idea on how good the housing office is about giving people one of their top choices?

I called Jefferson a couple weeks ago and was told that we would be offered housing via phone beginning in the middle of May through early July. I'm trying to be satisfied with the knowledge that housing is guaranteed but I have to admit that the questions you have are eating at me as well.

JMC2010 said:
Congrats!

rk

Thanks. Don't I need a user name and password though? I think they just mailed that stuff to me.

scrambizle said:
Thanks. Don't I need a user name and password though? I think they just mailed that stuff to me.

They will email you with all the essential passwords and stuff for banner and whatnot. I think I got an email 5 days after my acceptance

lobster1 said:
I called Jefferson a couple weeks ago and was told that we would be offered housing via phone beginning in the middle of May through early July. I'm trying to be satisfied with the knowledge that housing is guaranteed but I have to admit that the questions you have are eating at me as well.

It's really rare that you don't get one of your top choices. So as long as you're okay with your top two choices, I'd say you'll be fine.
I submitted late April last year (relatively late compared to most people) and still got my top choice.

scrambizle said:

You can also look up your campus key on the pulse website so you can get started on the finaid stuff in banner (there's a link on the right hand side of the page).

http://pulse.jefferson.edu

scrambizle said:
Hey everyone,

Scrambizle: Were you on the High Priority List? Just wondering if they started pulling people from that list yet? I'm on the High Priority list but haven't heard anything yet. Does anyone know? The waiting is killing me!!!!

karebearmd said:
It's really rare that you don't get one of your top choices. So as long as you're okay with your top two choices, I'd say you'll be fine.
I submitted late April last year (relatively late compared to most people) and still got my top choice.

Do you have any idea if it is difficult to get a triple. There are only 9 and 11 of them offered in the two main buildings. I would assume there is not as high of a demand for them, but I dont really have anything to back this up. I don't know if you know of anyone who has tried to get one or has lived in them

I was wondering the same thing, IHeartBiology ;)

I heart Biology said:
Do you have any idea if it is difficult to get a triple. There are only 9 and 11 of them offered in the two main buildings. I would assume there is not as high of a demand for them, but I dont really have anything to back this up. I don't know if you know of anyone who has tried to get one or has lived in them

In my opinion, two bedroom apts seem to be the most popular choice. I'm not really sure about how many 3 bedroom apartments will be open next year (Don't forget, first years are assigned housing AFTER current residents...so the number of each type of apartments that are open will depend on how many of each are filled by people choosing to remain in their apartments this year, or people who are transferring from one apt to the next)

aertzin said:
Scrambizle: Were you on the High Priority List? Just wondering if they started pulling people from that list yet? I'm on the High Priority list but haven't heard anything yet. Does anyone know? The waiting is killing me!!!!

Yeah I was on the high priority list. Just keep on emailing Dr. Callahan and I'm sure you'll get off it.

I was looking for the completion date for the new Hamilton Building and could not find it. Any hopes of the class of 2010 using it as second years?

radical said:
I was looking for the completion date for the new Hamilton Building and could not find it. Any hopes of the class of 2010 using it as second years?
I am pretty sure that during my interview they said it would be done in time for us to use it second year

Did all of you get the email about the pituitary surgery tomorrow (webcast)? It sounds pretty neat to me and I'm still blown away that they're able to and willing to let people watch live. :thumbup: Anybody else planning on watching? If anyone doesnt know about it yet, there should be a link in your Jeffmail box.

lobster1 said:
Did all of you get the email about the pituitary surgery tomorrow (webcast)? It sounds pretty neat to me and I'm still blown away that they're able to and willing to let people watch live. :thumbup: Anybody else planning on watching? If anyone doesnt know about it yet, there should be a link in your Jeffmail box.

Thats really great, thanks for posting it here

lobster1 said:

My Jeff mail refuses to work... i have tried to change the password several times and still no luck... how did you get yours to work?

DNAroolez said:
My Jeff mail refuses to work... i have tried to change the password several times and still no luck... how did you get yours to work?
My email was wiggin' out on me earlier too but seems to be working now. Here's the link for those who didnt get the email. Will be tomorrow at 4:30 EST. http://www.jeffersonhospital.org/webcast/

lobster1 said:
My email was wiggin' out on me earlier too but seems to be working now. Here's the link for those who didnt get the email. Will be tomorrow at 4:30 EST. http://www.jeffersonhospital.org/webcast/

For those of you who can't watch it live, they also keep them on the site after. That way you can watch it at a time thats convenient for you

Thanks for the link! If you go on the library link on the site you can see past sugeries that were archived. I just watched the partial knee replacement, and it was pretty sweet.

I have spent way too much time looking at this website today. http://www.or-live.com/ is the website that does the surgeries. If you go to that site you can see the ones that are outside of jefferson so you can see a lot of surgeries and even browse by specialty

I was wondering if anyone has heard about their housing assignments for next year? and if you have heard when did you turn in your housing paperwork? thanks