Official Jefferson Medical College Class of 2010!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I heart Biology said:
I got a phone call from jefferson today sayign they put me in a double in orlowitz, but they wont give me the contact info for the roommate they assigned me (which i find to be ridiculous). I was wondering if anyone else got a housing offer today and it happened to be in orlowitz. let me know so i may have a chance to actually to speak with my possible future roommate

Hi everyone! This is my time posting at the class thread. I am planning to go to Jeff this fall. Very excited.

I just got the offer for a double in orlowitz as well at the end of the day yesterday. Do you know your room number? PM me. :)

Members don't see this ad.

noticed that some of you are tryin to figure out your roomate(s) - i'm in orlowitz 9th floor btw. There's a group called "JMC class of 2010" on facebook thats been posting where they'll be livin too. hope that helps!!

Hey there – it is great to be able to post on this thread – can’t wait for orientation to begin. I am a recent accept and am now in the process of filling out financial aid and finding a roommate. It would be great if I could meet someone to live with in the next week or so instead of just being assigned by the housing office. I currently live in Lancaster, PA and could take a trip to Center City. Send me a PM if you are still looking for a roommate. Preferably, I’d be looking to live in Barringer, but at this late point, I can’t be too picky. I’ve got some Jeff friends in the class of 2009 and would be able to come for the night to meet some of my future classmates.
Adam

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm interested in browsing the bookstore swag from the internet, but all I see is class rings. Anyone having better luck browsing swag (t-shirts, hats, etc.) from the bookstore?

woohoo class of 2010!!!

Hey,

Has anyone tried enrolling in the medical and dental insurance plans (on the matriculation requirements site)? I tried, but the Chickering site says "To enroll yourself and your eligible dependents, or to complete a Waiver Form, contact the Office of Student Affairs and Career Counseling." I couldn't find any way to enroll on the dental site. Maybe I'm just an idiot.

yay Jefferson! (hehe sorry, i'm really bored right now)

radical said:
Hey there – it is great to be able to post on this thread – can’t wait for orientation to begin. I am a recent accept and am now in the process of filling out financial aid and finding a roommate. It would be great if I could meet someone to live with in the next week or so instead of just being assigned by the housing office. I currently live in Lancaster, PA and could take a trip to Center City. Send me a PM if you are still looking for a roommate. Preferably, I’d be looking to live in Barringer, but at this late point, I can’t be too picky. I’ve got some Jeff friends in the class of 2009 and would be able to come for the night to meet some of my future classmates.
Adam

i think i read somewhere that the enrollment doesn't open until july first....

scrambizle said:
Hey,

Has anyone tried enrolling in the medical and dental insurance plans (on the matriculation requirements site)? I tried, but the Chickering site says "To enroll yourself and your eligible dependents, or to complete a Waiver Form, contact the Office of Student Affairs and Career Counseling." I couldn't find any way to enroll on the dental site. Maybe I'm just an idiot.

Hurray for the class of 2010!!

Are there any postbacs who were recently accepted to Jeff and have already received their acceptance packet? I haven’t yet, so I was just wondering…

pattie said:
Hurray for the class of 2010!!

Are there any postbacs who were recently accepted to Jeff and have already received their acceptance packet? I haven’t yet, so I was just wondering…

Unless postbacs receive any different correspondence from Jeff, I don't think they actually send out acceptance packets. I received an acceptance card in November, but when I called a few weeks ago asking whether they had sent out the medical forms, info, etc. they directed me to the matriculating students section of the JMC admissions website. It has a lot of information, so it seems they don't send us anything by mail. I also received an e-mail last week from Dr. Callahan and Admissions directing us to the website. Congrats on your acceptance :)

CruiseGrl7 said:
Unless postbacs receive any different correspondence from Jeff, I don't think they actually send out acceptance packets. I received an acceptance card in November, but when I called a few weeks ago asking whether they had sent out the medical forms, info, etc. they directed me to the matriculating students section of the JMC admissions website. It has a lot of information, so it seems they don't send us anything by mail. I also received an e-mail last week from Dr. Callahan and Admissions directing us to the website. Congrats on your acceptance :)

Thanks for the info CruiseGrl7! I'll make sure to go check out the website. I'll see you guys in Philly in a few weeks!

Finally got my housing offer today!!! Double on Orlowitz 7. Anyway, the housing woman told me that once my roommate and I both signed our contracts she would give us each other's contact info. Did you guys hear differently?

Looking forward to meeting everyone *very* soon!

jeanneson said:
Finally got my housing offer today!!! Double on Orlowitz 7. Anyway, the housing woman told me that once my roommate and I both signed our contracts she would give us each other's contact info. Did you guys hear differently?

Looking forward to meeting everyone *very* soon!

Yeah a couple of other people I know were told the same thing. I actually think its kind of unfair that they don't tell you sooner so you can make plans for who is bringing what, but I guess there's some kind of legal thing about giving out information. I am in Orlowitz too, 6th floor, so see you there! :D

For the people still waiting on Housing, they called me yesterday (and I got my stuff in on March 26th). So they must be pretty close to the April apps.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello!

I'm trying to organize a bone marrow typing drive (which is an opportunity to become part of the National Marrow Registry) for all Philadelphia medical students of the class of 2010. If you are interested in becoming part of the Registry, or if you are interested in helping organize the drive (which we are planning to do during the week of orientation) please check out this link:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=294554

I am a Jefferson 2010 hopeful and was wondering how many people have recently been accepted off the hold list... Are there still spots opening up? Any insights are appreciated.

Hi everyone...I thought I'd post this question here in case any current Jeff students are browsing, or if anyone's spoken to current Jeff students who would know. I noticed that they've added a "required" instruments section to the Matriculating Students web page. I remember reading that certain instruments are really not worth purchasing, even though they imply that they are very necessary. Does anyone know if these "required" ones are really required, and if so, is it worth purchasing them at the bookstore or is there a less expensive place to get them through? I have no idea what these things cost. Thanks so much!

Required

Stethoscope
Percussion Hammer (Babinsky or Derejine)
Tuning Forks – 128 Hertz and 512 Hertz
Pen Light

CruiseGrl7 said:
Hi everyone...I thought I'd post this question here in case any current Jeff students are browsing, or if anyone's spoken to current Jeff students who would know. I noticed that they've added a "required" instruments section to the Matriculating Students web page. I remember reading that certain instruments are really not worth purchasing, even though they imply that they are very necessary. Does anyone know if these "required" ones are really required, and if so, is it worth purchasing them at the bookstore or is there a less expensive place to get them through? I have no idea what these things cost. Thanks so much!

Required

Stethoscope
Percussion Hammer (Babinsky or Derejine)
Tuning Forks – 128 Hertz and 512 Hertz
Pen Light

You can get the stethoscope at a discounted price from one of the student groups here once you become a member. I don't remember which one it is though. The pen lights, tuning forks and hammer you'll use in neuro, so you can wait on getting them. I'd look into getting the stethoscope early in the year, because you're expected to have them when you do your clinical observations. I believe it cost around $130
As for the other things, the pen light was around $5, the tuning fork and percussion hammer were each around $15
The book store is pretty reasonable with prices for things, but I guess if you want to you can try one ebay or something and see if anyone has them up there.
And finally, no matter who/how many administrators tell you to buy an oto/opthalmoscope, don't do it. You'll use it for a total of maybe 10 minutes the entire year, and the cost is ridiculous. They always have extras at the skills teaching sessions that you can use.

One month from today we start class!! I've never been more excited (and nervous) in my entire life.

Is anybody else having problems to check their Jeffmail?

i can recieve/send mail fine, but i've been spammed by jefferson about the survey way too often...even after i filled it out already.

Tristy said:
Is anybody else having problems to check their Jeffmail?

wutev said:
i can recieve/send mail fine, but i've been spammed by jefferson about the survey way too often...even after i filled it out already.

Thanks wutev, I had to send an e-mail to tech support because it's been days since I was last able to check it :thumbdown:

Tristy, my email was out for a few days too and then just magically fixed itself. Who knows? But I'm thinking I'll keep my hotmail account for important stuff.

Does anyone know how we get our roommate contact info? I sent in my housing contract awhile ago. Should I call housing or do they contact us? Thanks!

They've been working on an email upgrade, so accessing email has been really bad in the past few weeks. It apparently seems you can get it sometimes, but other times it won't let you log in or there are problems when you do. Apparently the email system should be fixed by july 22 (i believe that's the date they sent in the email.)
In the meantime, if you can get on your account at all, you can set it to forward your email to another account. That way you'll know whether or not there are any emails that need responses, and whether or not it is even worth the hassle of trying to get in your account.

jeanneson said:
Tristy, my email was out for a few days too and then just magically fixed itself. Who knows? But I'm thinking I'll keep my hotmail account for important stuff.

Does anyone know how we get our roommate contact info? I sent in my housing contract awhile ago. Should I call housing or do they contact us? Thanks!

Call housing for roommate info, because it doesn't seem like they are planning to tell us ... but they will only give you their info if your roommate also sent in his/her contract.

jeanneson said:

Well, apparently all it took to have it working again was to change my password :confused: I'm glad I had no time-sensitive e-mails laying around :oops:
Thanks for the responses!

anyone else unable to access "JMC class forums" and "used books for sale" under student links on the pulse homepage? it keeps giving me error messages. urrrrgggggggh :)

ZBLINK said:
anyone else unable to access "JMC class forums" and "used books for sale" under student links on the pulse homepage? it keeps giving me error messages. urrrrgggggggh :)

Yeah, this always happens. I'm not really sure for the reason behind it, but here's a way to cheat:
Once you log into the Pulse page, click on the Organizations tab.
On the right side, all of the links to the discussion boards should be right there.
I've never once had a problem accessing them this way...good luck!

I was wondering if anyone knows what books the school recommends/requires us to buy. Also, for students who are finished with the first year, did you find any particular books to be helpful or others that you didnt use at all. thank you

karebearmd said:
You can get the stethoscope at a discounted price from one of the student groups here once you become a member. I don't remember which one it is though. The pen lights, tuning forks and hammer you'll use in neuro, so you can wait on getting them. I'd look into getting the stethoscope early in the year, because you're expected to have them when you do your clinical observations. I believe it cost around $130
As for the other things, the pen light was around $5, the tuning fork and percussion hammer were each around $15
The book store is pretty reasonable with prices for things, but I guess if you want to you can try one ebay or something and see if anyone has them up there.
And finally, no matter who/how many administrators tell you to buy an oto/opthalmoscope, don't do it. You'll use it for a total of maybe 10 minutes the entire year, and the cost is ridiculous. They always have extras at the skills teaching sessions that you can use.

Thanks so much for getting back to me on that. I'll look around for that student group that has the discounted stethoscopes. Does anyone know how microscope rental works by the way? Do we all need to rent one from school and it gets added to our tuition bill? Thanks again!

CruiseGrl7 said:
Thanks so much for getting back to me on that. I'll look around for that student group that has the discounted stethoscopes. Does anyone know how microscope rental works by the way? Do we all need to rent one from school and it gets added to our tuition bill? Thanks again!

Histo is completely online, so will you never need a microscope. This also means that if you choose to, you can study from the comfort of your own room instead of going to lab.

As for the earlier question about the books, I'd suggest not buying any until the classes start. You'll need to get a Netter's atlas, but as I mentioned in a previous post, you can get that for free with your membership from one of the student groups (The group costs around $25-30 from what I remember). Aside from that, the books you use will vary. Wait until you can hear what the profs recommend and you have a chance to go to the bookstore or borrow some 2nd years books to see which ones you like and which you don't, There's nothing worse than spending $40 on a book you never open. For most classes the test questions come straight from the syllabus.

karebearmd said:
Histo is completely online, so will you never need a microscope. This also means that if you choose to, you can study from the comfort of your own room instead of going to lab.

As for the earlier question about the books, I'd suggest not buying any until the classes start. You'll need to get a Netter's atlas, but as I mentioned in a previous post, you can get that for free with your membership from one of the student groups (The group costs around $25-30 from what I remember). Aside from that, the books you use will vary. Wait until you can hear what the profs recommend and you have a chance to go to the bookstore or borrow some 2nd years books to see which ones you like and which you don't, There's nothing worse than spending $40 on a book you never open. For most classes the test questions come straight from the syllabus.

I agree with all of the above. Definitely should wait to buy books unless you get an incredible deal on used books from an upper year or something like that. Your big sib may even be willing to let you use books that arent necessary to have in subsequent years or sell you old books as well.

Hello all, im very excited to start med school with you all in a few weeks!

what particular student group membership gives us a discount on the stethscope?

does anyone know how the 1st day of orientation registration works?

the calendar says "registration: 8-12pm"

does that mean, it takes 4 hours to register everyone or do we just show up sometime in between that 4 hour time slot?

yancantcook said:

does that mean, it takes 4 hours to register everyone or do we just show up sometime in between that 4 hour time slot?

I recieved a packet from jefferson earlier this week in the mail and it gave me a specific registration time. I have 8am of course. So if you didnt get that packet yet you should be getting it soon

I heart Biology said:
I recieved a packet from jefferson earlier this week in the mail and it gave me a specific registration time. I have 8am of course. So if you didnt get that packet yet you should be getting it soon

was there any time sensitive info in the registration packet?...coz i'm overseas and not gonna get mine until late next week.

no, theres nothing in it that you have to reply back to. theres just some information about insurance, orientation and the academic calendar

yancantcook said:
Hello all, im very excited to start med school with you all in a few weeks!

what particular student group membership gives us a discount on the stethscope?

No - thankfully, registration doesn't take 4 hours. You show up at registration at the time that you were assigned - everyone is staggered, so that they don't have to register all 250 of you at once. Registration is pretty basic - you sign in, get your ID photo taken (and remember, that picture will follow you around for 4 years! So make it a good one! ;) ) get your white coat, pay tuition, and take a lot of surveys. Then you're free to go until the next orientation activity.

Good luck! It's an exciting time! :)

I too have an 8 AM registration time ... hmm ... what to do with all the time in between...

One fun thing to do during that time is to get your refund check (since you cant get it until that day) and run to the bank to deposit it. I usually literally run cause I dont trust myself with that much money. ;) That might take up three hours but hey if you really want (although I recommend it) you can go shopping after that :p

uhhuh662 said:
I too have an 8 AM registration time ... hmm ... what to do with all the time in between...

afr0dite01 said:
One fun thing to do during that time is to get your refund check (since you cant get it until that day) and run to the bank to deposit it. I usually literally run cause I dont trust myself with that much money. ;) That might take up three hours but hey if you really want (although I recommend it) you can go shopping after that :p

Haha, best ideas ever! I think I'll throw in a nap in there as well. :)

Hey everybody,

I'm an incoming first year at Jeff, and just recently got my housing phone call. They offered me a shared dormroom (no info on roommate) in Martin, so I'm not too eager to accept it. Is anyone else looking for a last minute apt in the area or know of any openings? I'm open for pretty much anything right now, so let me know if you have any ideas. You can either send it here, or by email at [email protected]. Thank you :)

afr0dite01 said:

anyone know a good bank nearby?

myrahu said:
anyone know a good bank nearby?

I've been using PNC for a while and they are pretty good. They have tons of ATM in the center city area, (one at 11th and walnut), in which you can deposit checks in too. Most Wawa's around the area have PNC atm's too.

There is a PNC pretty close by (and an ATM in Alumni Hall). There is also a Wachovia right in the hospital. Those are the two biggies. For last minute apartments, check out the classifieds on the organization page on pulse or philadelphia.craigslist.org or the Philadelphia weekly newspaper classified (avail online).

yancantcook said:
I've been using PNC for a while and they are pretty good. They have tons of ATM in the center city area, (one at 11th and walnut), in which you can deposit checks in too. Most Wawa's around the area have PNC atm's too.

afr0dite01 said:
There is a PNC pretty close by (and an ATM in Alumni Hall). There is also a Wachovia right in the hospital. Those are the two biggies. For last minute apartments, check out the classifieds on the organization page on pulse or philadelphia.craigslist.org or the Philadelphia weekly newspaper classified (avail online).

If anyone's major concern is only ATMs, none of the Wawa's in Philly have a surcharge for taking money out, no matter what bank you have. So if you don't feel like switching banks, and don't mind mailing your 1 check per semester home to your bank, then don't worry about the ATM charges.

We were wondering over in pre-allo how picky Jefferson is about their unusual LOR requirements. Did those of you without a committee letter really all have a biology, physics, and chemistry letter like they say? If you could give us your input, that would be great, because I think a number of people (including myself) are having second thoughts about applying now that we discovered this. Please post here if you don't mind:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=300384

Thanks, and sorry to interrupt your thread!

karebearmd said:

This is what "free" means: Pay the AMSA fee (which is the same price as Netter's in the bookstore, except the bookstore gives 10% off every book to students) PLUS you have to sign up for the AMSA credit card while you're at it. I suggest just buying Netter on your own.

Is it worth it to join AMSA anyway? What exactly do they do, and how active are they on campus?

Also, I just went to Staples to buy some supplies for class, and I was wondering what some of the upperclassmen would suggest: Binders for power point presentations? Do people use notebooks, or do they take notes in the syllabus? All I got so far was some filler paper, highlighters, and post it flags for note taking.

DNAroolez said:
Is it worth it to join AMSA anyway? What exactly do they do, and how active are they on campus?

Also, I just went to Staples to buy some supplies for class, and I was wondering what some of the upperclassmen would suggest: Binders for power point presentations? Do people use notebooks, or do they take notes in the syllabus? All I got so far was some filler paper, highlighters, and post it flags for note taking.

most of us took notes on the notes/power point slides that were offered to us. i suggest you get backnotes (at least for anatomy) as soon as possible b/c you won't be able to keep detailed notes in class.

mtndoll said:
most of us took notes on the notes/power point slides that were offered to us. i suggest you get backnotes (at least for anatomy) as soon as possible b/c you won't be able to keep detailed notes in class.

How do you get backnotes?