Official Johns Hopkins Med Class of 2006 thread..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
and here's the 100th post! :clap:

Members don't see this ad.

Wow, Nylee!!

That's frickin' amazing... I'm on SPRINT 350 anytime + 3150 nights/wkends plan for $40!! I'm gonna call them up right now and threaten them too... but I've only been on the plan for about a month so maybe they won't really care....

....oh, and also, is it part of the nationwide network, or local network. I got the nationwide network so that i can use my cell phone from wherever I am... I incurred close to $300 in cell phone bills during my interview season. I learned my lesson after that. Always get something without roaming (or at least a good network).

SoniC

Hey sonic,
yeah, i'm on the nationwide thing...so I can call from Florida...Canada (Niagara Falls), Cali...without being charged an extra cent. when you call, you have to go to the disconnect/cancel option to begin with. Just tell them that you found a better deal at Verizon or ATT...and unless Sprint can beat that, you'll leave. It's awesome...I never run out of minutes. The sad thing is, my family lives in Korea...so it doesn't really matter that I have a nationwide plan :rolleyes: Except to call my High school friends in Missouri....I have to get an international plan on the regular phone, anyways.

But it's worth a shot. I used to be on your same plan too until I changed to this current one! good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
yo! What happened to our thread??? Nine-sixteen's left and I haven't heard from Jessica in a long time. Where's our class? :( Oh well...soon enough, we will see each other in person! I will continue posting at least until mid-august.

Hey...are you guys getting new laptops? Do you have any suggestions? I don't want to get a bulky desktop cuz moving's such a hassle.

Keep posting!

Can any of u guys post your stats or PM me.? I'm trying to decide if I should spend the money and apply.
thanks!

What's up? I won't be getting a laptop, but I'm pretty familiar with the ones out right now. I suggest going with the Dell Latitude. It's lighter than the other Dell notebooks and it's more stable than the ones from Compaq and IBM.

Btw, how's the food in Baltimore? Any good Korean restaurants? I know they have good crabcakes out there.

Originally posted by nylee
yo! What happened to our thread??? Nine-sixteen's left and I haven't heard from Jessica in a long time. Where's our class? :( Oh well...soon enough, we will see each other in person! I will continue posting at least until mid-august.

Hey...are you guys getting new laptops? Do you have any suggestions? I don't want to get a bulky desktop cuz moving's such a hassle.

Keep posting!

what about sony vaio's lizardking? how r those compared to dell's? i think they a lil cheaper. i'm thinking of getting one but don't know if i should wait til i go to med school. does one need a laptop for MS?

Sony Vaio's aren't bad, but they're not great either. Their price is reasonable, and they look nicer than the others. But their performance isn't quite as good as Dell's because Sony tends to skimp on components such as the video card and motherboard.

If you don't do graphics or run games, then I guess the Sony Vaio's good.

I don't think laptops are required for med school. I don't even think you need a computer.

Originally posted by dr kevin40
what about sony vaio's lizardking? how r those compared to dell's? i think they a lil cheaper. i'm thinking of getting one but don't know if i should wait til i go to med school. does one need a laptop for MS?

My GPA was 3.97 (mid-tier undergrad), my MCAT 37.

I don't know how much this will help you because Hopkins chooses applicants with such a wide range of stats. But one thing's for sure, you don't need a 40 and a 4.0 to be competitive in their process. I know plenty of people who got in with GPA's around 3.8 and MCAT's around 35.

Originally posted by Mr. H
Can any of u guys post your stats or PM me.? I'm trying to decide if I should spend the money and apply.
thanks!

kev, did you apply to Hopkins?

Originally posted by dr kevin40

Hey Lizard,
Thanks for the notebook tips...I agree that Dells are more dependable than Sonys...Sonys, however, do look a lot sleeker. The food in Baltimore--hmm...:rolleyes: I'm sure is nothing compared to the food in LA. After going to LA and eating at their soon dooboo restaurants, I couldn't eat soon dooboo in Baltimore anymore. However, there's this place called the Market a couple of blocks from the hospital that sells a wide array of food in little, individual stands. There's a stand that serves Korean food, too. it's okay...but not great. Ellicott City is about 30 minutes away and it's a pretty much the biggest Korea-town you'll get in the area...they have some decent Korean restaurants and cafes. There are also a few korean restaurants in the Homewood (undergrad Hopkins campus) area that's only about 15 minutes from our campus. I'll probably be going to their library to study (like I did for the past four years) so eating dinner there would also be convenient. :)

Otherwise, you're always welcome to suite 10D in Reed...I'll have an inexhaustible supply of kimchi, rice, and spam throughout the year if all else fails. :) I don't know how well my suitemates will take the smell :eek: ...and I'll show you where the nearest Korean supermarket is as well!

yo! What happened to our thread??? Nine-sixteen's left

Hot diggety NineSixteen hasn't left yet! Just don't post too much on the weekends :)

I have an old desktop that I'm bringing with me to Baltimore, I'm sure I'll purchase a laptop before the year is out. I want one now, but don't want to spend the $$, and the only thing I ever use it for is checking email and posting on SDN :D Hopefully I will use the Hopkins computers for any important programs that I need to run for school. There's that computer room in the PCTB that is chock full of brand-spankin new computers!

I'm leaving on August 16, so I'll be there soon, but I'm still around and posting like a mad-woman :) I haven't heard from Jessica in a while, nor lyle for that matter. Where are these people?

Those problem sets are weird. Did anyone look at the worked problems in between set 4 and 5? About calculating charge on proteins at a given pH. Where did they get some of those numbers? NineSixteen is very confused. Sigh.

Originally posted by NineSixteen
People who already live in B-More, tell me about cell phones there. I would guess that all the major carriers are ok, but how satisfied are you with yours now? I have ATT at present and it kinda bites here in MI. Thinking of Verizon cause they seem to have the most extensive network, who knows? I'm not planning on getting a land line, so I need something that works everywhere, including my apartment...just wondering if anyone has thoughts. Thanks :)

I have AT&T wireless and so far I am not quite impressed with the coverage areas. We had the same service in Dallas before we moved to Baltimore and the reception was great, but here in Baltimore its not as good. We have to go outside our apartment to get good transmission/reception, and we get dropped calls semi-regularly, especially when driving around the beltway in Baltimore (it has fairly heavy foliage)

Of course, I dont have a standard of comparison to other services, so I dont know if Verizon/Sprint is any worse or better.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by relatively prime
Hey Hopkins 2010... do you know Rasi?

I am the poster formerly known as Hopkins2010. I havent met Rasi in person yet (he went to a different 2nd look weekend i believe) but know who you are talking about

Sonic,

Sorry about the mix up about Brewers. My old college email account got cut off sometime between the first email and the time when the details went out, so I didnt get any email about when/where to meet.

My new email address is: [email protected]

hey all--

hope all is well with y'all.

gradient echo/hopkins2010-- i was wondering how you set up your new hopkins email account... is there any way that we can set up our email accounts now, b/c my yale account is gonna quit soon...

take care,

swaroop

ps--i've got a dell inspiron 2100, its hot, and really small, and works well so far...

Originally posted by LizardKing
My GPA was 3.97 (mid-tier undergrad), my MCAT 37.

I don't know how much this will help you because Hopkins chooses applicants with such a wide range of stats. But one thing's for sure, you don't need a 40 and a 4.0 to be competitive in their process. I know plenty of people who got in with GPA's around 3.8 and MCAT's around 35.

I had a 3.75 and a 35 on the MCAT, I always thought that was pretty high until I read this post...guess I'm one of those "plenty" of others who got in with just these stats :p

There's no doubt that Hopkins is looking for high stats, but that alone is not enough, they are really looking for people who have demonstrated a committment to something...anything really, I think Hopkins gets excited about people who have a demonstrated ability to be passionate about something, and hopefully that passion will lead to a passionate persuit of the science and art that is medicine. Everyone is so worried about stats in this process, and it really is so much more.

(NineSixteen steps down from her soap box)

So, to answer your question, Mr_H...APPLY!

:) Can't wait to start :)

Back to the cell phone question. After a little research it looks like Verizon "can you hear me now?" has the best deal, and I've heard good things about the network. Anyone have any thoughts about them? Anyone have Verizon in Baltimore and happy with it? ATT is out, Sprint is actually looking pretty expensive, VoiceStream I'm a little wary to try, what else is there? Hmmmm...

Swaroop, are you in Baltimore yet? Soon, no?

thanks!

Mr. H,

I have a 3.8gpa and a 31-33 MCAT (8p, 13-15v, 10b). I was interviewed at Hopkins, and placed on the middle portion of the waitlist. I took my name off of the list about mid-june. I didn't get it, but I must have been somewhat competitive, even though I had a below average Physical Science score and just an average Biology score. I would apply if you like the school. I loved it, unfortunately it didn't work out for me - maybe residency.

I have SPRINT... 350 anytime + 3150 nights/wkends for $40... It's a good deal and the reception in and around hopkins is *really* good. I've even had reception inside the hopkins tunnels and within the hospital.

As for a computer, I too have a SONY VAIO laptop. I bought an inexpensive one about 6 months ago (with AMD processor) and it runs pretty well, but occasionally freezes for no reason (quite frequently, actually) and I'm yet to find out if this is because of the operating system or because of some manufacturing defect in the computer. But I like it and I bought the whole thing for only $1400...

As for starting up on your JHMI account, you will have to wait until you get here. The hopkins staff adds you to the JHMI database (called JHED). Once you're on the system you can login to the JHED website and then set your email address aliases, passwords, directory listing etc. If you want to see if you're on the network yet, goto http://jhed.jhmi.edu/ and do a directory search on your name (left column). If you get a hit, then click it and find out your loginID (LID). Once you have that you can click the option which says "First Time Login" and then take it on from there.

When I got here in June, I had to go to the registrar's office and get them to add me to JHED very early. They said that other's names were not going up until mid-August. So you might have to wait.

Also, are you guys really *serious* about this party thing on the 3rd of Sept? Ann Snead met me today and asked me what's up about it... I felt kind of sheepish because I have no clue if this even is even going to happen. She said that there are some funds that can be made available for refreshments etc. She's really nice.. those of you living in Reed hall will probably meet her early-on.

SoNiC

In my opinion, the cellular provider with the best coverage in the B'more area is Cingular. You'll get reception in the elevators and the bowels of the hospital.

Check out Cingular... they have competitive deals and the best coverage area around.

doepug

hey!

nine-sixteen== yup, only a week left, and i'll be heading down to baltimore... when are you gonna be in the city?

doepug-- i have a question, do you recommend i bring any of my college textbooks with me? like janeway immunology, cell biology, etc. etc.? i'll bring stryer, but i'm gonna try to limit how many books i bring (they're heavy!!)

as for the JHED email thing, i'm not in the system yet... oh well, i guess i'll have to wait 'till next month!

take care all
swaroop

I second what NineSixteen said. Stats alone will get you nowhere in this process, especially at top tier schools like Hopkins. If you excel in something like research or community service, for example, make it known to them and it will take you far in their selection process.

That being said, it's still tough to get an interview at places like Hopkins without strong numbers. I'd say the cutoff isn't as stringent as, say, WashU's, but it's certainly higher than many other schools'. I'm throwing out a guess here, but I'd say you need above a 3.6 and a 30 MCAT to be competitive in their process.

At the same time, I also know several people with 4.0's, 40 MCAT's and some quality activities who didn't get an interview there. They got interviews at other places like UPenn and UCSF though. Sometimes it's random, other times they might not like your essay or lor.

I had a 3.75 and a 35 on the MCAT, I always thought that was pretty high until I read this post...guess I'm one of those "plenty" of others who got in with just these stats :p

There's no doubt that Hopkins is looking for high stats, but that alone is not enough, they are really looking for people who have demonstrated a committment to something...anything really, I think Hopkins gets excited about people who have a demonstrated ability to be passionate about something, and hopefully that passion will lead to a passionate persuit of the science and art that is medicine. Everyone is so worried about stats in this process, and it really is so much more.

(NineSixteen steps down from her soap box)

So, to answer your question, Mr_H...APPLY!

:) Can't wait to start :)

thanks lizardking. i'll prob hold off. i want to get dell but they r the most ghettoass expesnive!

i didn't apply to hopkins cuz i don't like the area/city much. the environment is very important to me.

Originally posted by Sonic Hedgehog
Also, are you guys really *serious* about this party thing on the 3rd of Sept? Ann Snead met me today and asked me what's up about it... I felt kind of sheepish because I have no clue if this even is even going to happen. She said that there are some funds that can be made available for refreshments etc. She's really nice.. those of you living in Reed hall will probably meet her early-on.

Sonic-

I'm very serious about the Labor Day Bash...how early does she have to know about the plans? Only there's just a few of us on SDN, I would have no idea how to even to begin to estimate how many people would show up. How solid do our plans have to be? If you get the ball rolling I'd be happy to take it over once I get to town :) I hope our class is very social, at least at first, right? And I think people would be up for a party after the weekend-o-fun, don't you all? It can be a MS1 Bash but we have to invite doepug as honorary Big Bro to the SDN first years :) Would MS2's come?

I would have it in my room but I dunno my roommates yet! I guess if we can't get the funds or any of that we could just invite people informally down to the pool. I'd be glad to buy the drinks and stuff.

Sonic-

I'm very serious about the Labor Day Bash...how early does she have to know about the plans? Only there's just a few of us on SDN, I would have no idea how to even to begin to estimate how many people would show up. How solid do our plans have to be? If you get the ball rolling I'd be happy to take it over once I get to town :) I hope our class is very social, at least at first, right? And I think people would be up for a party after the weekend-o-fun, don't you all? It can be a MS1 Bash but we have to invite doepug as honorary Big Bro to the SDN first years :) Would MS2's come?

Hey all -

I swear SDN promotes my procrastination... I have an ugly pediatrics exam on Wednesday!

Swaroop et al -- I'd suggest bringing Stryer, but you can do without other books. Stryer will help with all four sections of your Molecules & Cells course. Definitely leave your chemistry books at home. Janeway is a good text, but frankly, the notes provided by our instructors (neatly organized into binders) contain plenty of information. If you're ever dying for a textbook, you can always go to the reserve room in Welch library. Test questions will be based on the notes provided to you.

Aww shucks, Ninesixteen... the party sounds cool. Seems your class will definitely be more laid back than '05. :)

doepug

DOEPUG! Get to work! Hit those books! Rock your exam!
haha...I'm sure you'll do just fine... ;)

good luck, dude...

I say our goal, as class of 2006, should be to be more laid back than 2005...they have a nasty reputation of having quite a competitive streak. I'm sure it's not as bad as they say...but nonetheless...:laugh:

anyone want anything from Korea??? :cool:

nylee

I haven't heard from Jessica in a while, nor lyle for that matter. Where are these people?

Jessica is alive and well, she's having problem logging in on the new SDN system. But she's definitely reading the thread, she just cant post

Whoever is having trouble posting:

Try re-entering your email address under your profile. Wait for a confirmation email to arrive so you can activate your account again. If that doesn't work, keep putting in different email addresses that you have access to, and keep checking for that confirmation/activation email to arrive.

I had the same problem for several weeks until I tried this trick.

Originally posted by Gradient Echo

Jessica is alive and well, she's having problem logging in on the new SDN system. But she's definitely reading the thread, she just cant post

i hope you get a cool roommate lizardking.

Hi guys!

I have missed all of you SDNers soooo much! I couldn't log in forever... I think the problem may stem from the fact that there are two Jessicas registered, but then again, what do I know. I tried re-setting my password, e-mailing the mods, setting up accounts under different e-mail addresses, all to no avail! But at last, I have made it back to SDN! Posting booyah!

Can't wait till class starts!

(its me, Jessica.... just in case you couldn't tell by my "new, incognito" username :p)

I feel the need to regain my senior status ASAP, and inform all of you of what I have been up to (just in case you care... sniff sniff)

First of all, business stuff... if anyone needs a copy of the study guide/review thing that is "complete" - ie doesn't have the top cut off, e-mail or PM me and I can fax you a copy. I was thoroughly bugged by the missing info, so I called and had JH send me a new one.

I just got back from a week in Mexico (my first time! That place is WILD!) - Rosarito and Ensenada... I usually need a vacation to recover from my vacation, but in this case... I need to adjust to NOT taking a siesta every time I eat! (gotta love those taco stands.... what am I going to do without authentic mexican food in Baltimore??? Someone PLEASE tell me there is somewhere where you can get some delicioso mexican food!)

I am trying to squeeze in a trip to Six Flags Magic Mountain before we have to head out. I feel the need for speed! (the roller coaster kind, not the methamphetamine kind) I haven't been to MM since I was in High School (good god I am getting old! - that was SIX years ago!)

We MUST have this Labor Day pool party. I am sure that all of my suitemates would love to go to. I am pretty sure that I got paired up with a bunch of really cool girls (yea!) I am beginning to have the feeling that we are going to have an awesome class! If there is anything I can do to help plan things, let me know. I would be more than happy to lend my assistance. I will be moving into "lovely" Reed Hall on Aug 24... and I am bringing my Costco card, so I can get food and the necessary beverages ;) in bulk if need be.

I finally broke down and ordered the biochem book last week, lets just hope it arrives before I take off. What a shame it would be if I didn't have the chance to read it (I am hoping it gets lost in the mail :p)

-Jessica

Jessica that would be awesome! I'll find out from Ann exactly how much money we have for the party, and I'll finish the paperwork with the housing office for making the reservations. I guess we can buy the stuff after you guys get here... I'm in dire need of a car (seriously, it's a pain....).

Originally posted by JessicaF
what am I going to do without authentic mexican food in Baltimore??? Someone PLEASE tell me there is somewhere where you can get some delicioso mexican food!)

You and I think a lot alike. Unfortunately, Baltimore is nothing like Texas in terms of Mexican food. The only Mexican restaurant I've seen is Chi-Chis on the west side of town. I'm sure there are others out there, but unfortunately both of us will have to learn to live without the Mexican food delights of Texas/California for the most part I'm afraid :(

While there aren't as many Mexican places in B'more as you're probably used to, there are a few good spots serving Latin American food:

Check out:

Tio Pepe's (Mt Vernon)
Holy Frijoles (2 locations)
Little Havana (Cuban food; Federal Hill) -- Monday night specials!
Fabi's (Salvadorean food; Fell's Point)
*Lots* of hole-in-the-wall joints in upper Fell's Point
Nachomama's (Canton) -- good for beer and nachos after exams
Gecko's (Canton) -- a bar with good Mexican food

My favorite (more Spanish than Mexican):
Tapas Teatro (next to Charles Theatre) -- well worth a visit.

I know they aren't Mexican, but along the Latin theme, B'more has dozens of Caribbean restaurants.

Don't forget DC... it's full of awesome restaurants.

OK. Back to pediatrics.

doepug

Hello!!

Finally, having been a silent reader on SDN for way too long, I am going to introduce myself as one of your fellow classmates! Since being accepted to Hopkins at the beginning of July, I have been enjoying the camaraderie that has already begun between SDNers. I would really enjoy meeting all of you when we start--perhaps at the pool party!

I was wondering if any of you will be living in Mount Washington--I'm a little concerned that I will be living further away from school than most first years, but it would be great to know someone in the area. Although I have a car, I would like to take the light rail/ subway to school sometimes. Do any of you know about the safety of this system, especially as a female who may need to take it at night.

Also, some earlier posts were discussing what laptops to get. I am also planning on getting a laptop, and found out about a discount program that JHU has through dell. They are offering a couple of Dell Latitudes and IBM Thinkpads for a fairly good rate. The best part about it is that, if you buy a laptop through their program, you get a "hopkins bundle" of software as well as support from the JHU mobile computing program at the Homewood campus. Anyway, you can read all this business at this website: http://nts.jhu.edu/desktop/mcp/ . I think the deadline to buy a computer through them is Aug 9th. I hope this helps some of you.

I will be arriving on Baltimore Aug 20th and I am really looking forward to this new experience. Until then, I am enjoying a few weeks of freedom from work etc, although I do have this homework looming over my head!

Hi Liv2B!

Welcome to SDN (at least, welcome to the posting world!) :) :D

I took the light rail/sub to the school in the evening and at night, and neither time was particularly scary or uncomfortable.... but I have only been on it three or four times, so I can't really speak to its year round night time safety. Perhaps doepug (or one of you brainy researchers) can enlighten us!

One the subject of laptops, I have a Dell inspiron and I am very happy with it.... I don't know too much about the nitty gritty of computers, but my brother thinks it rocks (he a systems analyst and total computer nerd, so I think he might what he is talking about.) I have a ton of music and programs on it, and it still runs really fast... and Dell customer service was really great when I accidently broke my floppy drive. I sort of dropped it, oops. I bought a refurbished Dell from their website and saved a ton of $. I have had zero problems with it and would highly reccomend this method of purchase (that is, if it works out to be cheaper than the Hopkins discount.)

Do you think that we will need a printer? Are there computer labs where we can print things if need be?

YAY! Welcome back, Jessica! and Welcome, Liv2B! It's good to have your input again! Thanks for the laptop website! i will definitely consider what JHU has to offer.
I've never had to take the light rail, but I heard it's not too bad...as long as it's not so late. I have heard of many people at Hopkins Med that live in the Mount Washington area, so I'm sure you won't be alone.
as far as the printer is concerned, I think there's a very nice computer lab available for students on campus...so printing shouldn't be a big problem. But ask Doepug just to make sure!

nylee

Originally posted by JessicaF
Hi Liv2B!

Welcome to SDN (at least, welcome to the posting world!) :) :D

I took the light rail/sub to the school in the evening and at night, and neither time was particularly scary or uncomfortable.... but I have only been on it three or four times, so I can't really speak to its year round night time safety. Perhaps doepug (or one of you brainy researchers) can enlighten us!

One the subject of laptops, I have a Dell inspiron and I am very happy with it.... I don't know too much about the nitty gritty of computers, but my brother thinks it rocks (he a systems analyst and total computer nerd, so I think he might what he is talking about.) I have a ton of music and programs on it, and it still runs really fast... and Dell customer service was really great when I accidently broke my floppy drive. I sort of dropped it, oops. I bought a refurbished Dell from their website and saved a ton of $. I have had zero problems with it and would highly reccomend this method of purchase (that is, if it works out to be cheaper than the Hopkins discount.)

Do you think that we will need a printer? Are there computer labs where we can print things if need be?

If you have a car and you're driving to Mt Washington it shouldn't be bad, but taking the light-rail can get annoying in the long run because you first need to take the metro or the JHMI shuttle to Penn-Station/State Center/Lexington Market and then take the light rail to Hunt Valley from there.

If you're not using your car, heck, I'd be happy to use it for you!

Anyone have any advice re: where to buy a good used car? I'm looking for one now. SOmebody suggested that CarMax was good.

SoNiC

Originally posted by Sonic Hedgehog
Jessica that would be awesome! I'll find out from Ann exactly how much money we have for the party, and I'll finish the paperwork with the housing office for making the reservations. I guess we can buy the stuff after you guys get here... I'm in dire need of a car (seriously, it's a pain....).

Whoo HOO!! So it's a go, Sonic? Fantabulous :D Swaroop will be getting to town soon and I'm sure he'll want to dazzle you with his new-found parallel parking skills ;) , right, Swaroop? And I'll be there on August 17, ready to throw myself into getting the necessary provisions for the party! Yay! I'm psyched for a pool par-tay!

I bought my used Saturn from a Saturn dealer. It olny cost me 4K cause I bought it "as-is" no warranty or certification or nuttin'. But it seems to work great so far...prolly in February when the pace starts to pick up my clutch will need replacing or something major like that. C'est la vie, right?

Jessica - thanks for the fax, now I know that my confusion is certainly due to my lack of understanding of that stuff and not just due to the missing information :) Oh well.

Liv2b, thanks for the computer info...I called today and they want me to fax my acceptance letter so that they can get me into the system and I can see if it's a good deal. Guess I'll have to take it out of the frame (Joke - I actually am hoping I still have it somewhere)

Finally, a food question. "Hello, my name is Dawn, and I'm a Jimmy Johns-aholic." As I was eating my delicious veggie sub last night I was hoping and praying that there is a Jimmy John's in Baltimore. Please, doepug or Sonic or baylor21, tell me that the is one! I'll be in dire straights if I have to study late at night without it :)

Won't be long now...

:clap:

Hey all -

Hope this'll help with a few questions...

Mt. Washington is a great place to live. If you'll be there, you'll have several upperclassmen as neighbors. It takes the first year students a while to discover Mt Washington, but many move there after living in Reed for a year. It takes ~15-20 minutes to drive to JHH from Mt Washington. It'll take longer to use the light rail/subway, since (as previously mentioned), you'd have to transfer from the light rail to the subway, which involves a little walking.

A printer is nice, but you won't need it often. I've gotten by without one. I've typically just saved my stuff to a disk or e-mailed files to myself so I could print them out at the IRC (in the PCTB) or at Welch library. Wait and see how much it'd bother you not to have a printer... you probably won't miss it.

Sorry ninesixteen, but there isn't a Jimmy John's in the Baltimore area. There are, however, lots of good sandwich joints. :)

Cheers,
doepug

(NineSixteen has fainted in despair)

Sorry 9-16...I haven't heard of a jimmy john's either in my four years here. :( hopefully a veggie sub at subway will be a worthy alternative??? They installed a fairly new Subway at the Hospital cafeteria...but I hear the lines are extremely long....

Hey Doepug~ how did your peds exam go? Another 100%? ;)

hey all!

whew, i haven't posted anything relevant in a while! wait a minute, i NEVER post anything relevant... oh well, i guess this post is no exception!

(swaroop revives ninesixteen from her despair-induced fainting spell)

nine-- :) believe it or not, i STILL have not gotten around to learning how to parallel park! i'm a horrible human being, i have decided. seriously, when you get here in august, i am recruiting you to be my Official Parallel Parking Guru. i'll reward you with Walking-Backward lessons (you know i've got mad skills in that department).

liv2b, welcome, and jessica, welcome back! i know how traumatic it is to witness SDN conversations and not be able to post, when this new-fangled SDN update happened, i was out of commission for weeks...

i am so relieved that they are rennovating the first year lecture hall, i was not going to be able to stand it in there. maybe they'll rennovate the 2nd year lecture hall next year, and so we'll be the class that always gets the new stuff!

okay, i'm off, take care

swaroop

Originally posted by Gradient Echo
Most of those posts were generated under my original screen name, baylor21. Probably only a few of the really old school SDN people remember that one though.
Guess its time to come out my cocoon and start over. :)

dude! it's you!! Man, I remember last July that you and Original were the only 2 MudPhudders around the boards with all us straight MD applicants and once you started getting in everywhere- POOF! you were gone. glad to know you were around for most of that time.

so you're married now? Congrats man:clap: I remember you posting your story about proposing on the beach after an interview but I didn't realize the marriage had already happened.
Glad that so many of us AMCAS 2002 had our dreams come true in the end :)

Ack, you guys are making me want to get my butt back into the biochem action. I've been doing absolutely nothing in Korea--not even having any fun! :( although I did get to go to Thailand, which was way awesome.

I forgot all my biochem and chem!!!! I don't even know what you guys are talking about--with the cut off section. Argh...I guess I should start perusing through our homework...

nylee

yo girl! Glad to see you are all excited about the tough decision you made: UofC vs. JH. Funny seeing the discussion on Biochem cuz we just got a mailing that included info on testing out of Biochem first semester. So rest assure, you're not the only ones studying! 10 ppl tested out last year and though they had the option of doing research, shadowing, independent study or an advanced biochem course- all 10 decided to do an advanced course, which seemed like a PBL biochem (each student presented journal articles, discussed them etc.) that I'd love to do.

What's cool is the test is optional and those NOT taking it are invited to eat bagels and have coffee outside the lecture hall. So depending on what flavors are available, I might chill outside the lecture room instead of inside ;)

Originally posted by Incendiary
Hey, does anyone know anything about the MPH program at Hopkins? Someone told me that you don't have to pay if you do the MD/MPH, or that it's very reduced cost at least. I'm not sure if I believe that, though...

Anyone else considering this option?

Like I told you on AIM, I'm defintely considering coming there to do my MPH after 2nd or 3rd year. That'd be pretty sweet to end up taking courses w/ another SDNer med student. Maybe we'll be classmates after all, Incendiary ;)

Originally posted by swaroop1

(swaroop revives ninesixteen from her despair-induced fainting spell)

nine-- :) believe it or not, i STILL have not gotten around to learning how to parallel park! i'm a horrible human being, i have decided. seriously, when you get here in august, i am recruiting you to be my Official Parallel Parking Guru. i'll reward you with Walking-Backward lessons (you know i've got mad skills in that department).

Whew, thanks Swaroop. That was a sad bit of news - but I suppose other foods can make up for the lack of Jimmy Johns. I'm a survivor, I'll be okay ;)

I will teach you how to parallel park on a hill, on the left side of the road, with my manual transmission, non-power steering car. How's that sound? You'd definately be an expert then :D And thanks for reminding me of the mad backwards walking skills, I hadn't thought about that in a while and needed a good laugh this morning :laugh:

I bought my phone this morning, so I will have a Baltimore phone number by next week, even through the move is 2 weeks away. I also called BGE to get my gas and electricity hooked up...fairly simple process it seems...we'll see when I get to town if it actually gets turned on or not :)

I don't think I can deal with waiting two more weeks, I'm fired up to get movin. Whoo hoo!

Uh oh.... I don't know to parallel park either Swaroop. I take it that is a skill that we will need in B'more? :eek: I had better start practicing!

jessica, i think we should form a support group for those unable to parallel park yet.

nine-sixteen, you are clearly the master of parallel parking, and am honored to one day be your disciple. and you can always count on me to make fun of supertourguide girl.

have a good day
swaroop