1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Official: Johns Hopkins S.O.M class of 2008

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Amiroz, Apr 25, 2004.

1. Amiroz

Amiroz Member
    10+ Year Member

Alright Alright,

So Revisit was this weekend, we all had lots of fun and thoroughly enjoyed the revisitees' company. Yall seem to be a very lively group and we cant wait to have you guys here in Sept.

I still have a bone to pick witha yall'. Im pretty certain alot of SDNers got into Hopkins, however there still isnt a hopkins class of '08 thread. There are at least 15 of us in the first year class and we are available to answer any questions or discuss anything that will help you make the right choice. Drop a line here , & keep the thread going.....

Take care and let us know what you thought of revisit.
    If anybody has any other questions, (waitlist, reed hall. etc.) holla!
    (I actually got to know my current roomate through SDN about 3 months before school started)

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Hey!

Revisit weekend was great, thanks for putting it together! I wish I could have stayed for all of it, but had to get back home a little early. That was quite a first year show you guys put on, didn't expect it to go for 5 hours, but still fun all the same!;)

My only question would be, out of all the apartments listed in the housing brouchure, for those looking for a 1 bedroom place, can you name me some of the more popular ones among the students?

pm me if you like!

Thanks

4. Amiroz

Amiroz Member
    10+ Year Member

I think Mt.Vernon would have the nicest apartments and it is where about half of the off-campus ppl live. There are quite a few "nicer" apartment complexes there, alotta affordable apartments as well. Its very close to campus (~less than 10min drive), depending on which part youre in, could be a walking distance from the homewood campus and the area is well covered by the shuttles.

Other 07'ers out there, lets hear what you think
    Amir

5. Awesome,

And if anyone else posts, please post names of complexes, etc. I'm trying to go through that huge apartment book right now, would like to narrow it down if possible.

Thanks!

6. ms2209

ms2209 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Hey all, I haven't actually applied yet, but just out of curiousity, what types of stats and extracurriculars did you have, and how stressful (if at all) was the interview process? I am planning on applying to Hopkins but I feel as though it's made out to be the impossible dream, so I was wondering if the successful applicants here could give me some info/advice that would make me feel better about it! LOL! Thanks :)

7. I'd be happy to share my stats with you, but you've disabled your pm system. To avoid flaming I'd rather do it over the pm system.

8. ms2209

ms2209 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Hey, sorry about that. I have enabled it now! Thanks so much :)

9. duck2005

duck2005 Member
    5+ Year Member

if you don't mind, what do you think helped you attain admission to hopkins. i'm debating applying and am having trouble gauging my chances. its impt to me that i don't apply to too many dream schools, as that can be a recipe for disaster

10. terpgirl

terpgirl Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Can you please PM me your stats as well? Thanks! See ya around the Hopkins halls (me as a patient)... I was in the ER the other week and had a 2nd year med student take my history :) Always fun to give him a tought time :laugh:

-Liz

11. noclouds

noclouds Member
    7+ Year Member

just wanted to thank you guys for organizing an awesome revisit weekend! it was great to get to meet so many first-years, and even faculty/alumni at the lunch and at liver rounds. i'm definitely very impressed with the commitment and dedication to education --- the message came across very clear that the faculty are very accessible, and students just have to take the initiative. this is really the "swing" that convinced me to end up at hopkins in the fall! :) people always say how hopkins is their dream school....now i definitely have a better sense of why. :D

my other reservation about hopkins all along was the location....in terms of safety and things-to-do. i think the nice weather this weekend (very ATYPICAL, i understand.. :laugh: ) and the bus tour was helpful in showing the "nicer" side of baltimore.

besides, i got the vibe that people go to hopkins to "eat, sleep, and breathe" medicine...to be happily immersed, embraced, to learn...so if you're happily challenged and intellectually stimulated, the surroundings are just peripheral. plus, looking at the brightside of things, baltimore is relatively close to cities like DC, annapolis, philly and even new york. [taking the word of some first years who said it's feasible to be away every other weekend... :rolleyes: ]

anyway...didn't expect to ramble on, but i just came away from the weekend excited to come back in late august! hope to see faces from revisit weekend back there!! :D

12. You'll see mine:D

pm me, we may have met;)

13. Newfie

Newfie Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Had a great time last weekend. I'm glad I was able to establish friendships w/ my future classmates so early in the year. The other prospectives and medstudents are a fun and lively bunch. I don't know how I'll carve out time to study next year. :D

It's too bad that people have the completely false perception that Hopkins is competitive. I didn't sense any competitive attitude at my interview or at Revisit. Granted, the modified P/F system is essentially a letter grade system, but no one cares. P = M.D. at Hopkins, just as it does at all other straight P/F schools. Also, based on the match list they gave, it sure doesn't look like Hopkins students have any trouble finding residency positions at top programs all over the country. What's also kind of nice is that Hopkins doesn't require the Step 1 of the boards to start clinicals, and doesn't require step 2 to graduate. Sure, you still need to pass those to practice medicine, but there's no administrative pressure to get those out of the way.

Anyway, see everyone in August.

14. No doubt,

Someone told me that only 10% of the class gets H or HP on any given test. Even so, 90% of Hopkins students get their first choice residency (first choice, not first 3 as advertised at other schools).

I didn't see any competition on any level, just a tight bunch of friends helping each other out.

15. rackd8ball

rackd8ball Member
    7+ Year Member

Sup guys,

Revisit was fun! Glad to have met a bunch of ya. Newfie, there were like 3 Ryans there--which one were you? And Phil, I don't think we got to meet cuz we both had to leave early.

Anyways, my host was saying that exactly 5%, or 6 kids, get Honors, and the next 15% get High pass. 80% = P. Since there still aint much room at the top, no one really cares. H/HP/P/F is really to pull up the kids who would normally be at the bottom, since a P is so much better than a C. Sounds good to me!

Here are some good threads on Hopkins if you guys still have questions:
    http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=54512&highlight=hopkins+penn

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=117157&highlight=JHU

Another thing... Reed Hall? Off Campus? I'm still tryign to decide, what are people's thoughts on the two?

Take care,
    Steve

16. I'm going to do the off campus thing since I am not a fan of dorms (Been living in a house for a while now and am a bit spoiled about having a large space of my own).

I'm looking for Apts. in the Charles Village area right now. That way I can just hop and the shuttle and ride in to class every morning rather than fighting with traffic.

It would be nice if any jhu students could recommend some affordable apt. complexes to help us out though!;)

17. rackd8ball

rackd8ball Member
    7+ Year Member

bump.

i found this on page 5 already! where is everyone? :)

this aint the coolest place to chitchat, i know, but lets start some class pride and get to know each other in the meantime...

-steve

18. Word, the class last year had like 9 pages before their thread died!

Maybe our class is just a little less computer savvy.....who knows.....

But anyway, a holler out to the class of 2008! Give it up!

:D

19. noclouds

noclouds Member
    7+ Year Member

i think a lot of people are still sitting on the fence too.

there are a couple more 'big' revisit weekends this friday/saturday...and a bunch of people i met at hopkins revisit were still choosing between those.

come may 15th, hopefully more of the class will appear! :D

20. globaldoc5000

globaldoc5000 New Member

well, i've made up my mind. hopkins it is. see ya'll in a few months and good luck to everyone!

21. VienneseWaltz

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    :confused: really?

If that's what you want, you can do it at Hopkins, but the point we tried to make at the show was that Hopkins students are doing many other things BESIDES medicine ...

BTW, word has it that we actually lost a prospective because, based on the show, he thought we partied too much. :laugh:

Anyway, glad you had such a good time!

22. noclouds

noclouds Member
    7+ Year Member

oops. i didn't mean to come across sounding like that's all Hopkins is about.. :oops: of course all you students do a whole bunch of other non-medical things too! just start with all those musicians at the show....and then the photo slide shows :D

i just meant to convey that the whole atmosphere of "learning/teaching" medicine at Hopkins is a lot stronger than at other schools that i've visited. it's a very impressive and different feeling :)

haha...though there was also a seemingly *inexhaustible* supply of "beverages" that night... :laugh:

23. Rapid Decomposition

10+ Year Member

Yeah, we got WAY too much. There is going to be a party on Friday to help get rid of some of it and all you local people are invited! Although I was very happy and frankly impressed with the selection (at our Revisit all there was was beer - nothing else, alcoholic or not - and I think it ran out too :p ). I also stole a bunch of food from the afterparty, and a bunch of bagels from breakfast the next day. Yum. :D

We had planned for a three hour show. Woops! Hopefully you guys all had as much fun as we did even though it went WAY over.

There are a bunch of 007s on SDN who stop by to check the forums occassionally. You can check the 2007 thread or just post on here if you have questions or whatever. Looking forward to seeing you all next year!!

24. NineSixteen

NineSixteen Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    True, but I would encourage everyone who's coming here to be cautious of this attitude (which is pervasive, and I don't fault you for it) - Baltimore has a LOT to offer itself, and if you come here expecting it to be a crappy place, well, that's all you'll see. It's like someone told me at the beginning of second year - approach each topic as if it were the most fascinating thing in the world and you'll have a much easier time with it. If you expect pathology to be a chore, then it will be. If you expect to hate Baltimore and feel unsafe here, you probably will. Just something to ponder...

Anyway, some apartment complexes in Mt Vernon:
    Queen Anne Belvedere (1200 block of N. Charles)
    Horizon House (1100 block of Calvert)
    Henderson House (Mt. Royal and St. Paul)
    Gallery Towers (Center and Park)
    The Standard (500-ish block of St. Paul)
    The Waterloo (St. Paul and Center)

All of these are walking distance to shuttle stops and offer varying services like parking, internet, etc.

I don't check this message board very often anymore, but would be happy to answer any emails that come my way. Glad you all enjoyed revisit!

Dawn (MSII) [email protected]

25. Can I say that I'm not entirely surprised? ;) I think a lot of us are still at that stage where we are recovering from the fact that we got into Hopkins. A lot of people have worked really hard and prolly given up a lot of "playtime" to get where they are, and I think that some of the stuff that went on during the first year show may have shocked a lot of people (ie fraternity/sorority style beer chugging).

Not that I'm dissing you at all though;) I can see how tight your guys' group is, its just that some of the skits (awards, slide show) were aimed more for you guys and I'm sure a lot of the prospectives didn't quite get most of the inside jokes.

But I think the message came off clear to most: you work hard and you play hard. :D

26. rackd8ball

rackd8ball Member
    7+ Year Member

i think the whole show thing was a testament to how close your class is. it seemed like everyone knows everyone! the feeling definitely rubbed off, and i'm already hoping that we can grow tight as a class too.

except for one thing: what was the deal with voting for class gunners? ain't that a lil below the belt? :(

as for everyone here, who are you guys in real life? its kind of weird talking to screennames and avatars. my name's steve, asian kid from nyc, finishing up my last year at yale right now, if that rings a bell for anyone. feel free to introduce yourself too!

27. Amiroz

Amiroz Member
    10+ Year Member

Hey Rack8ball,
    you see, something like the "class gunner" award in the superlatives might be seen as a "hit below the belt" by outsiders. Each person nomiated for any of the superlatives was notified that they were to be nominated and their permission was obtained before the thing was set. Brad was a good sport about it so were the rest of us, not many of the superlatives were things to be proud of , I for example, was class clown.
    The idea behind that number i guess was to see how well we know each other and who can take a joke, and we all did :)
    (cant wait to see what you will win next year, Rack, LOL)
    peace!

28. Amiroz

Amiroz Member
    10+ Year Member

Hello!!!

hello

hello

hello

(damn, there aint nobody here)

29. noclouds

noclouds Member
    7+ Year Member

i guess not too many class of 2008 kids are active or even read SDN.... :(

well, anyway, i withdrew from all my other schools today. and will be sending in that Reed Hall housing form soon.

Reed Hall anyone??? :D

30. VienneseWaltz

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    And the irony is that the true gunners didn't allow themselves to be nominated for that category. :laugh: Anyway, it was all in fun ...

We tried not to leave the prospectives out of the humor too much (we experienced the same thing when we were revisiting), but a certain amount couldn't be helped. You will have your own jokes next year. :)

31. RoccoWJ

RoccoWJ Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Maybe there just all gunners.........studying for that anatomy!

Gotta be #1 Gotta be #1 Gotta be #1 ....Welcome to Hopkins

32. Amiroz

Amiroz Member
    10+ Year Member

ok, you might not take our word for it. But stay in touch with these guys here and ask them sometime next semester if there is ANY COMPETEION at Hopkins. I havent experienced it a single bit. P=MD ,man!

have fun at Pitt! that was my #2

33. clevertooth

clevertooth Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

can you pm me your stats..I'd like to know.

34. amena

amena blusH
    5+ Year Member

hey yall can u guys senddddd me ur stats as well..i really want to know if i have any chances at hopkins considering my low gpa (less than 3.5) so seriousely aaaannything will help, any advice or whatever. thankssss pm me!!!

35. Cuteasaurus

Cuteasaurus Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Hey everyone! I just wanted to say that I'll be joining you at Hopkins in the Fall. See you there!

36. neoneil

neoneil Junior Member

Hi! I was wondering if anyone's thought of or heard of the Park Charles Apartment complex. It is in the heart of downtown Baltimore, about 10 minute walk from the inner harbor, about three blocks away from the Metro train that goes straight to the JHU Hospital, with trains at almost every 10 minutes of the day, and about a 10 minute walk from the JHU shuttle stop in Mt. Vernon. It seems really nice! 2 BR going for about 1200/month. 1BR going for about 800/month after the med student discount. It has central AC, and the only extra utility you pay is partial electric (anything else you plug in extra that doesn't come w/ the apt). Plus, you have your own washer/dryer in your own apartment. Any input on whether this should be a serious place to look into getting? It seems that most of the med students live near the undergrad campus, Mt. Vernon, Canton, or other places.

37. Amiroz

Amiroz Member
    10+ Year Member

Hey Neil

I havent been nor heard of the place, like you said most students live around Mt. Vernon but there are many that live in all other parts of town, some even in columbia and what not. But this place seems to have quite a good deal there, I will ask my classmates and let you know if i hear anything, not many of us are still here in baltimore this summer. If you want to come to town and check it out, we will be glad to host you at Reed Hall.
    That, ofcourse applies to everyone else!
    have a wonderful summer!!
    [email protected]

38. doepug

doepug Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

neoneil -

Park Charles = good location between Mt Vernon and downtown. It's worth a look. I know of a few people who have lived there, but honestly, the rent is a little steep by Baltimore standards. What is the cost of parking?

Many people find apartments/houses for rent using the Citypaper classifieds (www.citypaper.com) or the Sun (www.baltimoresun.com). I lived in Bolton Hill for three years and loved it! It's right on the subway, so it's an easy commute.

Good luck!
    doepug (Hopkins MD '04)

39. rCubed

rCubed taiko master
    10+ Year Member

hi,
    just wondering..are many of you going to have cars? is a car absoloutely necessary at hopkins or could I live without one? I'm probably going to be living at reed hall. thanks

40. doepug

doepug Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

While a car isn't absolutely necessary, it's a big help.

As a first year student, Reed Hall is very convenient. Without a car, though, you'll be at the mercy of the grocery store shuttle.

It will be important for you to let certain course directors know that you don't have a car. For example, you'll take a course in first year called "Intro to Clinical Medicine" where several students will meet with preceptors all over Baltimore. In second year, you'll either need a partner with a car, or you'll have to tell the course director for Clinical Skills, so that you're placed at JHH.

I'd recommend having a car by third year. You will be required to do some rotations away from JHH (minimum one month of internal medicine at Bayview or Sinai, ambulatory medicine clerkship sites all over Baltimore), and having a car will be important. You'll also want/need a car when you move out of Reed, since it's tough to carry all your groceries home.

Cheers,
    doepug

41. neoneil

neoneil Junior Member

The parking is steep, about $125 a month I think. The plan, if I get this place, would be to get that parking since it's in the apt building and would be safe for driving back late at night if needed, and to use the Metro for commuting to school, and to use the car after 4pm when there's free parking available. Not sure if that's feasible, but I am not too ecstatic about paying for a parking spot at 2 places :thumbdown:

where do most people park if they live off campus?

42. doepug

doepug Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I agree that parking is a good idea if you live at the Park Charles. As a rule, it's generally a smart idea to pay for parking at the big apt complexes. It's nice to have a reserved spot for you when you get home late at night. Those of us who don't live in big buildings generally park on the street. This is safe in most areas, as long as you lock your car and keep it clean (e.g. no CDs on the seat, no electronics in plain view).

As I mentioned before, the Park Charles is definitely worth a look... the location is very convenient, and you'll probably have a killer view of the city. If you're looking at complexes in Mt Vernon, be sure to check out the Waterloo (very popular). I lived in Sutton Place (across from Symphony, next to light rail and subway) for three years and loved it. I recommend Bolton Hill (www.boltonhill.org) -- it's a great place to live.

Good luck!

43. Rapid Decomposition

10+ Year Member

Hey, as far as I know you only have to pay for parking if you park right on campus. The satellite lots are free, and they have shuttles that run pretty much up to PCTB. Most commuters do this to avoid the $100/month fee. I'm commuting next year so that's what I'm going to do. :)

44. tao of dao

tao of dao Member
    7+ Year Member

Wow, that sounds good! Thanks for the parking tips. I agree with Neil, that sounds like a good plan. I'm actually on the waiting list, if there is such a thing, for the Park Charles as well.

45. bigbaubdi

bigbaubdi Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hello Steve and everyone else who will be in B'more this fall!

My name is Anand, I am from Baltimore and I just got off the WL yesterday! I just reserved one of the last few rooms available at Reed Hall.

Let's re-energize this thread folks!!!

46. rackd8ball

rackd8ball Member
    7+ Year Member

congrats anand and everyone else who's getting in! i'm really happy for ya'll..

anand, i'll be in reed too, room 8A... what floor/room are you in?

right now i'm travelling through asia with my girlfriend. so far we've been to japan, hongkong, shanghai, and some other places in china. been here since june 1, will be here til july 8th. then it's back to bumming around in ny til aug 26. things are pretty awesome here, and it's fun travelling to so many places with my gf.

anyways, just wanted to say congrats!

47. Cuteasaurus

Cuteasaurus Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Hi all! I won't be in Reed, and am still looking at apartments. Ugh. Speaking of apts, I think I'm going to try to get into an apt complex. I'm not as familiar with Baltimore and thought maybe a year in a safe complex would give me time to figure out where I want to live in the following years. Does anyone have any opinions about Charles Towers? It seems nice enough, and for 800 for a 1 Bdr, all utilities are included. (I think there is a student discount but don't know how much it is yet). I know it's a little expensive by Baltimore's standards, but since I'm new to the area, I'm willing to suck it up for 1 year so I can become more familiar with the area.

Any thoughts? I'll probably make a trip up early-July to look at places before I decide...

And yes, I am very excited about this fall. It'll be nice to meet people. :)

48. Right on man, I'm doing the same with my fiancee. I'm in Shanghai right now, will be here until July 26th. It's a bit sticky here, but I guess I should get used to that (I'm from Arizona where the only water in the air comes if you have some sort of misting system).

I've got a 1 bedroom place (converted rowhouse) up by the undergrad campus and right on the shuttle route. It came with A/C (again, can't stand the stickiness even for a day) as well at it's own parking place. It was a bit pricy, $675 a month, but is really big (750 sq. ft). I don't know how safe the area is, has anyone lived up by 29th and Charles?

Anyway, looking forward to meeting everyone at orientation! Take it easy!

49. rackd8ball

rackd8ball Member
    7+ Year Member

hey getianshi, what a coincidence! i'm in shanghai too... my gf has a ton of family here, so this our base in china. from here we go visiting other places in china. we're goin to beijing this weekend, but will be back next week sometime. maybe i'll see ya around!

steve

50. exmike

exmike NOR * CAL
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I lived on 27th and charles. It was OK, but got a little sketchy at night. Two muggings outside our place. 29th should be a lot better though. It's amazing how much changes in 2 blocks. 29th is around Dell House, which isnt too bad.

51. rackd8ball

rackd8ball Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey, for those of you who are bringing cars, has anyone gotten the parking application back yet? I'm in China and I'm in the dark on any mail we've been getting. Is there still room in the outpatient parking garage by Reed?

Also, how safe is it to have a relatively new car in Baltimore? :confused: