Official: Johns Hopkins S.O.M class of 2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
rackd8ball said:
Hey, for those of you who are bringing cars, has anyone gotten the parking application back yet? I'm in China and I'm in the dark on any mail we've been getting. Is there still room in the outpatient parking garage by Reed?

Also, how safe is it to have a relatively new car in Baltimore? :confused:

Hey Steve,

I asked about parking at the outpatient center garage a few days ago - it seems as though there are plenty of spots available, so I wouldn't worry too much.

The garage in the outpatient center is pretty secure. Not cheap, but I probably will make the investment...

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all,

I'm down in Baltimore right now trying to figure out housing (I need to figure it out ASAP because I'm leaving for Africa in 2 weeks and will be gone for a while). I just visited Reed today to look at a single similar to the one available for the fall. I wasn't that impressed with it ... it was pretty small. It was on the west wing side with the communal bathrooms. I lived in an apartment for most of college, so switching back to a dorm would be a big change.

However, I'm afraid that living farther from campus would be a hassle, and more importantly that I'll miss out on some of the social scene by not living in Reed. I'm going to look at some apartments tomorrow, but I think that will probably only further confuse me as to what to do. Does anyone have any useful experiences on living in Reed 1st year, or on living somewhere else 1st year? Where are my fellow class of 2008 people choosing to live? Any info is much appreciated - I'm so confused about what to do!! Thanks guys!! :)

As far as Reed singles go...I was warned against them pretty strongly. So, I'm in pursuit of off-campus housing. Are you still in the area? If so, PM me and we can talk. I also need to figure out things pretty soon...

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for resurrecting this thread, Anand. :thumbup: I got off the waitlist recently :luck: so I'll be joining you guys at JHU and Reed Hall this fall, woohoo! I'm in 12D.

Cuteasaurus said:
As far as Reed singles go...I was warned against them pretty strongly. So, I'm in pursuit of off-campus housing. Are you still in the area? If so, PM me and we can talk. I also need to figure out things pretty soon...
Try Federal Hill or Mount Vernon (5-10 minutes from Inner Harbor and med school), or the Homewood/Charles Village/Roland Park (near undergrad campus) area if you don't mind living a little further away. Those are the best places I know of that are in the city.

I decided against living in Reed. The room was so small and dark, and I just didn't think I would like living there too much. Plus, I found a great apartment in Mt. Vernon that I'm really excited about. :D

Elizabeth, how did you find your apt in Mt Vernon?

hi guys,
i'll be joining u all in the fall. as for housing, it seems i'm going to be the only one who's actually considering that dark, dank closet they call a room. i've never lived in a corridor style dorm so i'm not exactly looking forward to it, but hey...try something new...right?

Cuteasaurus said:

I don't know if Elizabeth used this, but the City Paper is probably the best place to look for apartment ads. It's the free alternative weekly paper in Baltimore and it has a very extensive classified section with good apartments :) http://citypaper.com/

I also am pretty sure that my apartment complex has some openings right now, they put the sign out everyday, though I don't know if there are 1 or 2 bedrooms right now or both. It's the Queen Anne Belveders on N. Charles Street just south of the train station. Check out others opinions at http://www.apartmentratings.com/rate/v/410727439321201/queen-anne_belvedere_apartments.html

Hope this helps!
Dawn, MSIII ([email protected])

Cuteasaurus said:

I found one through Southern Management - they run a bunch of the apartment buildings in the area like Park Charles and the Gallery. I just visited a bunch until I found a building that I liked and that had an available place. You can see a list of their apartment buildings at www.southernmanagement.com.

Hope that helps! :)

Hi! I just wanted to let you guys know, if any one's looking at Park Charles, I will be moving there this August, so there will be at least one other MSI in the building. BTW, I think the the location is great, 4 blocks from the Inner Harbor (lots of food!), Camden Yards (entertainment), and a 10 minute shuttle ride to campus.

tonoplast said:
Thanks for resurrecting this thread, Anand. :thumbup: I got off the waitlist recently :luck: so I'll be joining you guys at JHU and Reed Hall this fall, woohoo! I'm in 12D.

Hey Tonoplast,

Congrats on getting off the WL!! When I booked my spot, I got one of the last few people to get a room on the East Wing of Reed Hall. We are both really lucky to get off the WL at this particular time! Can't beat $380 a month all inclusive :)

The director of housing just emailed me the lease for my place in Reed Hall. I will be living in 10-A4.

Apparently the Fallsway lot (which is located right off the Guilford ave. exit of the Jones Falls Expressway) is not free anymore to JHMI students :(

The Monument St. lot is still free for students but it isn't as convenient as the Fallsway lot. Does anyone know how convenient it is to leave your car at the Monument st. lot?

Well guys, I caved. I didn't want to live on campus. However, I just don't have the time or energy to find another place. So, 917 it is.

See you in August!

Members don't see this ad :)
Cuteasaurus said:
Well guys, I caved. I didn't want to live on campus. However, I just don't have the time or energy to find another place. So, 917 it is.

See you in August!

On the bright side, you will be paying less than $400 a month for housing!

Rapid Decomposition said:
Hey, as far as I know you only have to pay for parking if you park right on campus. The satellite lots are free, and they have shuttles that run pretty much up to PCTB. Most commuters do this to avoid the $100/month fee. I'm commuting next year so that's what I'm going to do. :)

Apparently the Fallsway lot (right off of the JFX) is now no longer free for med students (the lot is privately managed). However the monument street lot is still free for students.

Also if you live fairly close by to a metro stop, metro passes cost only $20/month for med students! This gives you unlimited access to buses, light rail, and the metro (not the MARC).

i'm so happy--i just got off the waitlist...but what do i do for on-campus housing? is there a website? does anyone need a roommate?

thanks

Arusak said:
i'm so happy--i just got off the waitlist...but what do i do for on-campus housing? is there a website? does anyone need a roommate?

thanks

Congrats Arusak!!

You'll get a packet in the mail with info about on-campus housing, and if you call the housing office, they can send you info about off-campus too. See you in August!! :)

Arusak said:

thanks

Congrats Arusak!!!

I'm not sure there are any spots left at Reed Hall but you might want to give them a call at 410-955-3905.

Also take a look at this website which gives you some info about the neighborhoods around the JHMI campus:

http://www.jhu.edu/~hds/offcampus/planning/areas/areas_jhmi.htm

Congrats again and I look forward to seeing you in the fall!

Is there some forum that I can log onto to find roommates or look at roommate listings? If so, please PM me.
Thanks.

Arusak said:
Is there some forum that I can log onto to find roommates or look at roommate listings? If so, please PM me.
Thanks.

Oops, I should have posted this earlier. I found a roommate for this coming year by posting a free classified in the Gazette. It's one of the Hopkins papers that comes out weekly. The classifieds are online at www.jhu.edu/~gazette. There are always people looking for roommates, so take a look and see if anything looks good. This is for all of Hopkins, not just the JHMI, so it can be a good way to meet non-med students too.

currently applying; would love to see what it takes to get into hopkins (can i get in with a 3.7, 32 from berkeley?). If you could send me your stats/what non-stat facet of your application you felt helped most in getting in that would be great. I have good research; how can I utilize that to my advantage when applying to what seems like a research oriented school like hopkins? Thanks!

Does anyone need a roommate and apartment still? I was thinking of splitting a nice 2 bedroom in Mt. Vernon....

PM me if you are interested...

Arusak said:
Does anyone need a roommate and apartment still? I was thinking of splitting a nice 2 bedroom in Mt. Vernon....

PM me if you are interested...

congrats arusak. we'll be seeing u soon. u might want to check craigslist, back when i was looking at off campus housing, there were ppl looking for roommates. also, maybe the housing office knows of people looking for roommates. good luck

The Monument Street lot is pretty inconvienent, I think most folks who live in Reed just pay the extra $100 for parking in the garage since it's SO cheap to live in Reed. Less than $500 total for housing with parking is AMAZING, and you'll probably find that shuttling out to Monument Street whenever you want your car is more trouble than it's worth. Especially after hours when you need to call security to open the gate. I actually don't know if or how often the shuttles run on weekends - Sunday, in particular I'm pretty sure they don't run, or only every hour if they do.

Check out the City Paper if you're looking for apartments around the city, they have a very extensive classified section. www.citypaper.com

See y'all in 2 months!

Dawn, MSIII ([email protected])

Hehehe, this is kinda fun, trying to guess my classmates' true names based on their screen names.

Welcome to Hopkins class of 2008! :D

Well sometimes geographic locale helps. Do you have a guess about me? ;)

hello peeps,

i am currently filling out the secondaries for hopkins, and i came across the question why i have chosen my major. for some reason, this question is unusally difficult. any insights?

Cuteasaurus said:
Well sometimes geographic locale helps. Do you have a guess about me? ;)

Hehe, no guesses! Gimme a good hint! You are in 2007 or 2008? I'm in 2007.

i77ac said:
hello peeps,

i am currently filling out the secondaries for hopkins, and i came across the question why i have chosen my major. for some reason, this question is unusally difficult. any insights?

I pretty much wrote about an inspiring class that made me change my major....

i77ac said:
hello peeps,

My game plan for any question I ever came across was to use the question, no matter what it was, to my advantage. Use that question to tell them something they don't know yet about you - your passion for whatever the subject is, the experience that you didn't feel was quite extensive enough to list on AMCAS, etc. But, the truth is much better than making up some story, so just truthfully ask yourself why you chose your major, and you will be ok.

I'm in 2008. Do you guys get lists before we show up? Anyway, as a hint, first letter of my screen name is the first letter of my first name.

I still don't know...Maybe I haven't met you during the revisit weekend...
You guys get a list...I don't think we do.

As far as the majors question is concerned... I had 2. So, I explained how one was something science-y and therefore helped prepare me for a career in science/medicine and the other was something that I was interested in and did (in a less obvious way) prepare me for my career.
Chances are, no matter what you chose, it is "useful" for your life. Yes, even if it's pottery, you can still make the argument that it helps make you a well-rounded and balanced person who can then relate to many different patients.
Or, you can just tell them it was something you liked and you wanted to learn more about it.

Thank you all for your inputs. I just want to also add that hopkins rock, hats down to you all...congrats.

I am getting really excited about med school...A little more than a month left until class begins...

I'm excited...but also very nervous. Hopefully everyone there will be as cool as everyone on SDN ;)

Hey Guys, If anyone is coming down to b-more early and needs help with getting settled and/or some pre-orientation partying, let me know, there are 77 of us (2nd years)here for the summer, msg me if u need anything or have any questions...

enjoy the rest of your summer and welcome aboard!
Amir

I am another second year staying in Reed and will be here in Baltimore for the rest of the summer if any of you need any help moving, getting your ID cards, etc.... :D

Hey guys and gals-
Ill be coming to join you guys this August. Ill be living in Reed hall room 12A3. Do we have to wait til we get there to find out who our roomates are? When are y'all flying in?

Looks like there is a camping trip or something when we first get there. Im actually pretty psyched about it, but I better hit the gym if Im gonna be in a swimsuit...

Cuteasaurus- I got it down to three...so im gonna guess...han-ying.. btw, im another midwestern with a "C"

Racked-aka steve, right? I met you during the revisit, but you may not remember me. I was the half asian guy that had the same GF issues as you. (attempting a long distance thing.) I was in shanghai for a while too. We first started in beijing, then xi'an, then guilin and finally shangai. It was quite a culture shock as it was the first time in China for me.

Edit:
OOPS-Cuteasaurus- obviously you are not han ying since you said your FIRST name starts with a "C" should have taken a closer look at your post. My bad...and a good way to start the friendship..haha ;) Now ill guess your name is Caitlin??

rickvaughn, is that you chris? Of course i remember you dude, we spent enough time chattin during the weekend... glad to see you finally post! I'm gonna be in Reed too, Room 8A-1, so I'll be just downstairs.

As for the girlfriend issues we were chattin about, i guess i'm out of your boat... We went out for 5 years, but she just broke up with me last monday. It's been pretty hard for me, but i'll get through this... I've got some good friends to help me take my mind off of things. And in the end, I know it'll be for the best. On the bright side, at least i get to start med school with a clean slate!

Anyways, the more I learn about Hopkins, the more I'm in absolute awe... We're going to an awesome school guys, and I'm glad to be sharing the experience with all of ya!

w00t! haha.. maybe more like w00ms?

oh, if any of you have Discovery health channel, they're showing an episode on JHH called "Hopkins 24/7," tomorrow, sunday night, at 10pm eastern. Check it out if you got the time!

rickvaughn223 said:
Hey guys and gals-
Ill be coming to join you guys this August. Ill be living in Reed hall room 12A3. Do we have to wait til we get there to find out who our roomates are? When are y'all flying in?

Looks like there is a camping trip or something when we first get there. Im actually pretty psyched about it, but I better hit the gym if Im gonna be in a swimsuit...

Cuteasaurus- I got it down to three...so im gonna guess...han-ying.. btw, im another midwestern with a "C"

Racked-aka steve, right? I met you during the revisit, but you may not remember me. I was the half asian guy that had the same GF issues as you. (attempting a long distance thing.) I was in shanghai for a while too. We first started in beijing, then xi'an, then guilin and finally shangai. It was quite a culture shock as it was the first time in China for me.

Edit:
OOPS-Cuteasaurus- obviously you are not han ying since you said your FIRST name starts with a "C" should have taken a closer look at your post. My bad...and a good way to start the friendship..haha ;) Now ill guess your name is Caitlin??

Hey,
I'm gonna be in the same boat as you..the whole long distance thing. not looking forward to it at all. i'm sure there will be others in the same situation. misery loves company :)

also, i just got assigned to 12C3, and i was told all of my suitemates are first years, you gals out here?

Anyone coming from the west coast with a car? Are you shipping it or driving it out? Does anyone know of any affordable car shipping companies or used one they would recommend?

I imagine driving out from the west coast to baltimore is a 4-5 day trip...I'm just wondering if it's worth driving the car out myself or shipping it. I'd appreciate any input...

thanks

Sorry to hear that steve. Although it sucks right now, i also think it could be nice starting fresh in the ladies department since you are starting a new page in your life anyway.
When are you gonna move in?
BTW i dont know if you watch baseball or not, but it was pretty cool to watch the yanks and boston rumble. ( The outcome was not as good for a new yorker like yourself however) I dont know if i can choose the orioles over my chisox, but at least Camden yards is nice.

rcubed- yeah itll suck for sure, but we're gonna try to visit. The thing is that even if we were closer, i doubt we would even see each other too often. Shes working to become a french pastry chef and that requires working long hours in the restaurant. I doubt our schedule will allow for too much free time either, although the class hours do seem pretty good...

Arusak-Although its not really the west coast, ive decided to ship my stuff and fly out from chicago instead of driving it all there.

bigbaubdi: anand right? correct me if i'm wrong, man... thanks for lettin me know about the email thing! i get so much junk mail at my old address, it's about time i changed...

chris: i'm moving in aug 23 or 24. i'm not into baseball myself but i did happen to catch that game with my friends... leave it fox to run replays of all their other fights too, haha.

This is just a very random question -- is T-Mobile reception decent enough in Baltimore and surrounding areas? If not, what other services do most of the students seem to be happy with? I am just debating whether to extend my contract or not... Thanks!

neoneil said:
This is just a very random question -- is T-Mobile reception decent enough in Baltimore and surrounding areas? If not, what other services do most of the students seem to be happy with? I am just debating whether to extend my contract or not... Thanks!

I don't know anyone who has T-Mobile, so I can't give you much feedback. A LOT of people have Verizon (myself included), which seems to have pretty good coverage here. I have some trouble in my house, but everyone does (it's the house, I think), but I have a good signal just about everywhere else.

My first year at Hopkins was amazing--I'm so excited for everyone! Congrats on getting in and good luck with relocating. :)