Official: Johns Hopkins S.O.M class of 2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm not in the email system :( Oh well.

And nope, it's not Caitlin ...try again ;)

I'll be in the 20 or 21st I think. I look forward to meeting everyone! A quick question for current students: do ppl ever bring laptops to class?

Members don't see this ad.

Cuteasaurus said:
A quick question for current students: do ppl ever bring laptops to class?

Almost never, because you don't really need one. They give you all of your notes up front, and most people just write on those, and the wireless internet coverage in the 1st year lecture hall is pretty tenuous. But you can bring one if you want, and a lot of people have laptops that they carry around campus to study with, or hook into the internet in the computer lab.

Cuteasaurus said:
I'm not in the email system :( Oh well.

And nope, it's not Caitlin ...try again ;)

I'll be in the 20 or 21st I think. I look forward to meeting everyone! A quick question for current students: do ppl ever bring laptops to class?

Then are you Clarissa?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone!

I'm going to be moving into my new place in Charles Village here in a week, and was wondering if anybody who was familiar with the area could give me some hints as to what the best broadband connection would be for that area?

I know Comcast does cable modem service there, and I've always preferred that over DSL, but since I'm so close to the undergrad campus I'm wondering if so many users would slow down my speed.

Does anybody have any experience with this? I would appreciate some suggestions.

Thanks!

getianshi said:
Hey everyone!

I'm going to be moving into my new place in Charles Village here in a week, and was wondering if anybody who was familiar with the area could give me some hints as to what the best broadband connection would be for that area?

I know Comcast does cable modem service there, and I've always preferred that over DSL, but since I'm so close to the undergrad campus I'm wondering if so many users would slow down my speed.

Does anybody have any experience with this? I would appreciate some suggestions.

Thanks!

We used Verizon DSL for a while but it got to the point that we had to reset the modem several times a day, so we switched to Comcast, which has been pretty reliable. Comcast might be slow so close to campus, but at least it works.

Sorry to highjack this thread, but I have a quick question for you guys. My fiancee just received a notification that her app. is completed and has been sent for review. How long does it take, on average, to hear back? One month? Two?

I appreciate any input,

It really depends. I don't know about average, but mine was 2 weeks. However, it sounds like longer is usually the norm.

Hey rCubed and RickVaughn,

Just wanted to sympathize on the LD thing. My bf and I had been in a pretty successful NY-CA relationship for a year already. Well, he proposed a couple weeks ago, and of course I'm excited but we still have another year of LD left while he finishes up grad school. The way we got through the first year: we tried to see each other once every 4-6 wks, and of course we have those free mobile-to-mobile minutes on Verizon Wireless, which helps a lot. I'm hoping things will stay the same this year, but I'm also worried cuz I get the feeling that wedding planning and med school are not the best combination. I'm using these last few weeks to secure a date and location, I'm gonna worry about other stuff during xmas break.

Oh yeah, how many of you are working on your biochemistry reviews? It's been a while since I took it, how bad would it be not to have those concepts mastered before class starts?

tonoplast said:
I'm also worried cuz I get the feeling that wedding planning and med school are not the best combination. I'm using these last few weeks to secure a date and location, I'm gonna worry about other stuff during xmas break.

Oh yeah, how many of you are working on your biochemistry reviews? It's been a while since I took it, how bad would it be not to have those concepts mastered before class starts?

First, best wishes for your engagement! Second, people plan weddings in med school all the time. 3 women in our class got married this summer, and I know of at least 1 in the class ahead of us who got married this summer, too, after getting engaged in January. Also, I think one more woman in our class is getting married sometime during the year. One of my closest friends at another school planned a wedding second year (which is even harder), and everything was fine. You do need to be organized, but it's totally do-able.

I took 1 semester of biochem 3.5 years before starting school, didn't look at a thing, and I was fine. The biochem test is open-book anyway. See, this gives you that much more time for wedding plans. :)

Hi Everyone!
Congratulations on getting into Hopkins, I'm sure you are all excited! I was just wondering if you guys could give me an idea of what GPAs and MCAT scores you had, and also what EC you guys had... I'm just wondering if I even have a shot if I apply...

Thanks!
Emily

VienneseWaltz said:
First, best wishes for your engagement! Second, people plan weddings in med school all the time. 3 women in our class got married this summer, and I know of at least 1 in the class ahead of us who got married this summer, too, after getting engaged in January. Also, I think one more woman in our class is getting married sometime during the year. One of my closest friends at another school planned a wedding second year (which is even harder), and everything was fine. You do need to be organized, but it's totally do-able.

Hey, you forgot that the girl a year ahead of us married a guy in our class! So that's another one.

Ylime said:
Hi Everyone!
Congratulations on getting into Hopkins, I'm sure you are all excited! I was just wondering if you guys could give me an idea of what GPAs and MCAT scores you had, and also what EC you guys had... I'm just wondering if I even have a shot if I apply...

Thanks!
Emily

Hi Emily,

You do have a shot. I'm sure that our class has MCATs and GPAs all over the place, and if you have no ECs then that is a problem. Otherwise, give it your best shot and good luck. You can check other sources for average MCAT/GPA.

Members don't see this ad :)
Phaedrus said:
Hey, you forgot that the girl a year ahead of us married a guy in our class! So that's another one.

That was the one I was talking about. :p I should have mentioned that she married someone in our class, b/c he did a lot of the planning, too (little choice on that with a six-month engagement).

yeah, i think there's going to be quite a few of us doing the whole LD thing. (we'll all be glued to our cells with those unlimited minutes,lol)
i'm sure u'll manage the wedding planning, i just got married in january :), so count on me for some help.
hopefully our LD will only be a year long too.
as for the biochem thing, i haven't looked at it either. i finally did do those online courses, thank god they're out of the way.
c u all soon!

tonoplast said:
Hey rCubed and RickVaughn,

Just wanted to sympathize on the LD thing. My bf and I had been in a pretty successful NY-CA relationship for a year already. Well, he proposed a couple weeks ago, and of course I'm excited but we still have another year of LD left while he finishes up grad school. The way we got through the first year: we tried to see each other once every 4-6 wks, and of course we have those free mobile-to-mobile minutes on Verizon Wireless, which helps a lot. I'm hoping things will stay the same this year, but I'm also worried cuz I get the feeling that wedding planning and med school are not the best combination. I'm using these last few weeks to secure a date and location, I'm gonna worry about other stuff during xmas break.

Thanks for all the encouragement, you guys. :)

I think I should reprioritize my to-do list and bump wedding planning up a few notches, at least until school starts. Biochem is officially off. :D

do we have any computer requirements? i'm preparing to buy a computer or laptop and I was wondering if I need to look for certain requirements.

Arusak said:
do we have any computer requirements? i'm preparing to buy a computer or laptop and I was wondering if I need to look for certain requirements.
Unless they have changed something for your class (in which case they probably would have notified you by now), laptops are not especially useful in-class, although a handful of students use them. You might want to consider a wireless card, as much of the campus is wireless now, although I'm not sure about the first-year lecture hall. I do know that the list of wireless access points on the Web site is not the most recent list.

They have integrated a lot of computer technology into the curriculum, but these tend to be either Web-based or closely-licensed programs that you will need to access through the computer lab anyway.

For those of you bringing cars, what do we do with parking at Reed? I'm under the impression taht we sign up for monthly parking next weekend. But if we move in earlier next week, do we just pay the regular fee until we get our official spot?

The lady I talked to gave me the impression that you take care of that whenever you move in. I'll be moving in Friday, so I guess I'll find out soon.

Last year, some people who were already in town managed to get their ID cards early (which I guess you will have to do if you're moving in anyway), and I think once you have an ID card you can go to the parking office. Parking is $10/day, so it probably is more cost-effective to get your parking set up as soon as you can.

Hey all - I can't believe we start in a week! I'm very excited. :) I was just curious if anyone knows what the dress for orientation is. Should we dress professionally, or is it more casual? I'm not going to be in Baltimore until tomorrow night, so if info on orientation is being sent to my apartment, I haven't been getting it ...

Hi Phaedrus,

Does Hopkins screen based on MCAT/GPA? What about a 26 and a 3.6...and then I have Aug. scores TBA. Lots of EC's and research. What do you think?

Phaedrus said:
Hi Emily,

You do have a shot. I'm sure that our class has MCATs and GPAs all over the place, and if you have no ECs then that is a problem. Otherwise, give it your best shot and good luck. You can check other sources for average MCAT/GPA.

Elizabeth1028 said:
Hey all - I can't believe we start in a week! I'm very excited. :) I was just curious if anyone knows what the dress for orientation is. Should we dress professionally, or is it more casual? I'm not going to be in Baltimore until tomorrow night, so if info on orientation is being sent to my apartment, I haven't been getting it ...

People wore different things. Tee-shirt-and-shorts to shirt-and-tie. There's a lot of standing, so wear comfortable shoes. If you care about your ID pic and won't be getting one made before registration, I would recommend doing whatever you like to do for photos, as you will have one made then. Looking forward to meeting everyone! :)

URGENT Request:

I'm not going to be home for a while and need to know what day orientation starts so that I can book my ticket. Does it start next Wednesday or Thursday morning? Thanks for your help!

Looking forward to Ramblewoods...

Staples said:
URGENT Request:

I'm not going to be home for a while and need to know what day orientation starts so that I can book my ticket. Does it start next Wednesday or Thursday morning? Thanks for your help!

Looking forward to Ramblewoods...

Orientation starts at 8:30 AM on Thursday morning. :)

Has anyone who signed up to do the BASE community service pre-orientation event next Wednesday gotten any info on it? I signed up (I sent in the form a little late by accident) and I haven't heard anything yet. I was just wondering if anyone else has heard anything. Thanks!

They just sent an email out for the BASE thing, meet Tuesday night at Reed Hall to discuss where we'll be.

Looking forward to meeting everyone in a few short days!

People who got in:when did you interview and when did you get the acceptance? Thank you.

VienneseWaltz said:
We used Verizon DSL for a while but it got to the point that we had to reset the modem several times a day, so we switched to Comcast, which has been pretty reliable. Comcast might be slow so close to campus, but at least it works.

I just signed up for Comcast digital cable and cable internet for $19.99 a month for each service, the price guaranteed for 6 months, which is a deal because their regular cable internet alone price is $50+ a month.

Hey, what banks are around the area? Which bank has the most ATMs lying around? How's the Bank of America branch? Safe spot?

I went with Bank of America, because they're pretty much everywhere around here. Pretty safe bet I guess, but I don't usually use a lot of cash, just cards, so I rarely wait around at ATMs. But if it's ATMs you're looking for, BofA seems to have the most lying around.

see you in a few days

rackd8ball said:
Hey, what banks are around the area? Which bank has the most ATMs lying around? How's the Bank of America branch? Safe spot?
The BoA branch is in a safe (and convenient) spot, across from the main hospital and on a block of research/admin buildings. Also, there's an interior BoA ATM off the hospital's main lobby.

Huit said:
Hey if we are in Reed Hall East Wing with a kitchen, does that mean that we don't have to bring a fridge or a microwave? Thanks.

There's a big fridge, but no microwave. Although, since you will have roommates, one of them might already have a microwave. Keep in mind though that 4 people sharing one fridge is kinda tight.... I brought my own fridge... it helped since my roommates were slobs....

Bubchik said:
People who got in:when did you interview and when did you get the acceptance? Thank you.

Interviewed 9/18/03, accepted 6/18/04