Official june/20/2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UoCfin

Love that white coat
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
HEY, TO FOLLOW THE OTHERS: I AM CREATING THE OFFICIAL JUNE/20/2013 MCAT TEST DAY THREAD.

First off: this is my birthday...so whooooooo...
Second,,,am choosing this late test date so that i can creat a gap between my class finals and my test date: taking three classes spring 2013.
Third:::need as much time as possible for this beast...

So, SNDers...please comment...tell us ur plans...study attitude...

Members don't see this ad.

I dropped my money order in the mail on Monday and the books were here the following Tuesday. 8 day turnover isn't too shabby.

I'm glad that they got to you. I thought that my books would never come, and they never answered any of my messages by mail or by e-mail. Their books are worth the wait, but I try to caution people on the time it sometimes takes to get the books because I'm not the only one where it has taken a long time. :)

According to my schedule, I'll by done with my content review at the beginning of May also. That gives me a month and 19 days to do FL's, TPR passages, any last BR thirds that I might have left, and nail down concepts. I'm so glad that we started "early."

And, Top! :)

Hey guys! I am also a non-traditional applicant. I graduated with a BSc last May. I recently completed a 6 month internship in Africa. Had a lot of great experiences shadowing medical students and doctors on the side. I always had medicine in the back of my mind but never fully committed to writing the MCAT until now.

I am both excited and intimidated by this test and I have registered for the June 20th exam. I will begin studying March 1st. I plan on using the EK home study schedule (modifying it) and supplementing it with TPR.

Do any of you have any experience, or know of anybody who used the EK home study schedule? What did they think? It's been a while (2 or 3 years) since I've taken the pre-reqs so I am aware I have a lot of work ahead of me. Hope everyone's studying is going well!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, got my Jan MCAT, did not do great at all very angry with my score. I figure the best thing to do is admit your score, which was an 18, that way I know why I am working so dam hard for this next one. It saddens me that I did this poorly because i got a 24 on AAMC 2003 and an 26 with AAMC 2011.

I guess it turns out my focus was too much content and not enough practice passages like TBR or TPR SW. I will be starting the TBR schedule this Thursday, but I am wondering if I should still re-read the content that TBR has or just do more practice based passages/Qs and then supplement with going over areas I am weak in.

Hoping this time around I own it!

Hey guys! I am also a non-traditional applicant. I graduated with a BSc last May. I recently completed a 6 month internship in Africa. Had a lot of great experiences shadowing medical students and doctors on the side. I always had medicine in the back of my mind but never fully committed to writing the MCAT until now.

I am both excited and intimidated by this test and I have registered for the June 20th exam. I will begin studying March 1st. I plan on using the EK home study schedule (modifying it) and supplementing it with TPR.

Do any of you have any experience, or know of anybody who used the EK home study schedule? What did they think? It's been a while (2 or 3 years) since I've taken the pre-reqs so I am aware I have a lot of work ahead of me. Hope everyone's studying is going well!

Hey guys, got my Jan MCAT, did not do great at all very angry with my score. I figure the best thing to do is admit your score, which was an 18, that way I know why I am working so dam hard for this next one. It saddens me that I did this poorly because i got a 24 on AAMC 2003 and an 26 with AAMC 2011.

I guess it turns out my focus was too much content and not enough practice passages like TBR or TPR SW. I will be starting the TBR schedule this Thursday, but I am wondering if I should still re-read the content that TBR has or just do more practice based passages/Qs and then supplement with going over areas I am weak in.

Welcome!!! :) DietCoke, I'd read the content and do the passages. You've got time. :)

Welcome!!! :) DietCoke, I'd read the content and do the passages. You've got time. :)

Thanks for the advice studyshy and Aktion i will defintely be here a lot.... I just hate it how i dropped the ball, just hoping what i got on the last MCAT isn't gonna play into my mind when taking the next one. But i gotta prove to myself that i can own this exam :) I just hate how this exam can make me feel so dumb.

Also if anyone is looking to my a study group for the June 20th MCAT in East Lansing let me know, I did find that I did my best learning with other people.

Very nice trip! Welcome! So not very many people around here use EK for content all around. You can check out the EK 30 minute scores thread and ask there. I'm a huge fan of TBR; I love everything about the books. Not everyone agrees. Good luck! Nice of you to join us.

Just checked it out. SDN makes me feel pretty stupid, lol. Should I retake a 37? LOL

LMFAO! Same thoughts.

First, promise yourself you will NOT give up, EVER! So I think you should reread TBR books because content from other sources doesn't necessarily prepare you for TBR's passages, and low passage scores can be discouraging and damaging to your confidence. Read strategically and take notes. Practice heavily, and post-game like crazy. Check out the SN2ed schedule; it's rough but modify it to suit yourself. Please let us know how we can help.

edit: Give yourself sometime to relax and recover before jumping back in the Lion's Den.

Oh don't worry I will be giving myself all of three days before I start up again, but this time around I have you guys which I am hoping will be much better

Oh don't worry I will be giving myself all of three days before I start up again, but this time around I have you guys which I am hoping will be much better

Do stick around. It's very important for us to keep everyone motivated. 30+ for all the Juners! ;)

Oh and I live in Monroe, MI so not too far from you! I assume you're going to apply to Michigan State? Better not take my spot! ;)

Just another bump, finished Org ch.2 but didnt' get to do the passages. Today I do Org passages and grade them and then do 1001/TBR problems for the first 5 chapters.

Also, TBR Bio beat me down. 59-60% on the first set.

Do stick around. It's very important for us to keep everyone motivated. 30+ for all the Juners! ;)

Oh and I live in Monroe, MI so not too far from you! I assume you're going to apply to Michigan State? Better not take my spot! ;)

Haha, na i won't take your spot just someone else's... Dude that would be awesome to have a study partner. I went through all of college like that with my friend, though sadly he is no longer taking the MCAT. Though I graduated with a 3.7 so i mean it did benefit me a lot. Are you applying to both MD and DO?

I do have my spring break coming up next week so if you would like to study I would definitely meet up.

Edit: also how long did it take some of you to get those TBR books, cuz i realize it's a mail in order.

retaker here, not satisfied with my scores from the 1/26 exam. I only studied roughly ~5 weeks for it and my exam score definitely showed that. I am going to do SN2ED 3 month plan starting affter spring break and really take this down for the last time.

I am also in East Lansing! Great to see others on here.

Members don't see this ad :)
retaker here, not satisfied with my scores from the 1/26 exam. I only studied roughly ~5 weeks for it and my exam score definitely showed that. I am going to do SN2ED 3 month plan starting affter spring break and really take this down for the last time.

Welcome! I'm a retaker too so you have company. Most people around here are using that infamous schedule in one way or the other. You are on the right track.

Just another bump, finished Org ch.2 but didnt' get to do the passages. Today I do Org passages and grade them and then do 1001/TBR problems for the first 5 chapters.

Also, TBR Bio beat me down. 59-60% on the first set.

It sounds like you're plowing right along. I got in the 70s-80s the first chapter and then the second chapter I got 50-60s. lol. I never had biochem or genetics so BR is killing me. Chad's videos help for the biology/biochemistry to fill in my gaps. Just keep moving along. We'll do fine! :)

Haha, na i won't take your spot just someone else's... Dude that would be awesome to have a study partner. I went through all of college like that with my friend, though sadly he is no longer taking the MCAT. Though I graduated with a 3.7 so i mean it did benefit me a lot. Are you applying to both MD and DO?

I do have my spring break coming up next week so if you would like to study I would definitely meet up.

Edit: also how long did it take some of you to get those TBR books, cuz i realize it's a mail in order.
We should set up June SDN Skype sessions. The TBR books took three months to come in for me, but my case is a little extreme. Hopefully, they arrive quickly for you. These books are boss. Yeah, I'm applying MD and DO. My GPA is similar. It all depends on the MCAT at this point on what doors are open to me and to you since we are in the same boat! :)

Another Michigander. We can do this...and you better not take my spot for med school either! :p Hope to see some of you guys on the interview trail!

Welcome! I'm a retaker too so you have company. Most people around here are using that infamous schedule in one way or the other. You are on the right track.
I didn't know that you are a retaker! :)

Finished chapter three of TBR physics and first 2/3 of passages. Doing well in verbal...well 10s so I'll take that. I'm figuring it's kind of a crap shoot on the real deal. Some of the explanations that EKs give is just like :confused: and I totally disagree with. I'm hoping my mad tight reading skills from my history degree will help me, lol.

Today, I'm doing TBR chapter three of chemistry and watching Chad's videos on the subject and as many passages as I can. My goal is at least ten, but with kids, we'll see how far I get. It feels really good to be halfway done with the first set of books! :hardy:

Wishing everyone a happy MCAT study day. :)

Glad you can join us, and you are more then welcome to join me, my new address will be the MSU main library, lol

Ya i will be using a hybrid of that schedule as well. Since i took MCAT last month much of the content is still fresh in my head, but I realize now I needed to do a lot more practice passages and problems.

Edit: oh w/o a doubt, Skype sessions in june to recap all ha... Also what are chad's videos????

Glad you can join us, and you are more then welcome to join me, my new address will be the MSU main library, lol

Ya i will be using a hybrid of that schedule as well. Since i took MCAT last month much of the content is still fresh in my head, but I realize now I needed to do a lot more practice passages and problems.

Edit: oh w/o a doubt, Skype sessions in june to recap all ha... Also what are chad's videos????

Chad's Videos has content review movies. :)

Hee, hee! I found a "bearable" way to study for the MCAT! LOL

gummybeartheory.jpg

Hee, hee! I found a "bearable" way to study for the MCAT! LOL

gummybeartheory.jpg

Very nicely done... if you just replace those with 10 dollar bills I am sure everyone would own this exam ha.

I tried to access the link you sent me but it did not seem to work, mind if you post the url?

Man i cannot wait until after i finish my spanish mid-term & paper tomorrow so i can start studying the MCAT again, oh and i get my buddies TBR books, so i am stoked now cuz i don't have to wait!1!!

Edit: forget posting the link, i just literally typed in "chad MCAT videos" and saw what your were talking about... those are a lot of videos, do you think the quizzes are worth doing at all?

Last edited:
Very nicely done... if you just replace those with 10 dollar bills I am sure everyone would own this exam ha.

I tried to access the link you sent me but it did not seem to work, mind if you post the url?

Man i cannot wait until after i finish my spanish mid-term & paper tomorrow so i can start studying the MCAT again, oh and i get my buddies TBR books, so i am stoked now cuz i don't have to wait!1!!

Edit: forget posting the link, i just literally typed in "chad MCAT videos" and saw what your were talking about... those are a lot of videos, do you think the quizzes are worth doing at all?

That's great that your friend has a copy of the books! I haven't done any of the tests, but I'd say they couldn't hurt! Spanish, that's sounds like fun. I'm jelly. :)

Just finished the second 1/3 of passages for Chapter 1 TBR. So far Gen Chem, Physics and Verbal are going well, Ochem is a bit of a struggle since I am taking Ochem1 now and some of the material is completely foreign to me. But Bio is straight up whooping my butt. I haven't had any intro bio courses for going on 10 years so I'm definitely going to have to do some extra work on it until I get to the physiology portions!

March 1st is SN2ed go day
...TBR...here we come.

Sent from my SoftwinerEvb using SDN Mobile

i think EK does a grt job for Orgo and Bio however, keep in mind they are more of a condensed version. http://charles.io/mcat/ this is a great overview that i have found, which has plenty of outlines for overviews for all subjects. I found the bio pt especially useful.

Oh and if you do need any help with orgo let me know, I love that subject... I can't stand physics but i am getting muchhhhhh better! also look into EK 1001 for orgo.

hey study shy, have you found the quizzes on Chad vids useful at all?

Hey guys, just took the January MCAT and signed up for a retake on this date. Not 100% sure I'm going to retake it at this point, but I'm leaning towards that direction right now. If I end up following through, which looks likely, I'll definitely be contributing to this thread.

Hey guys, I like what's going on here! Did my passages for chapter 3's today and I am feeling amazing. I did very well w/ 70% being my lowest score (Bio) -___-. One thing I found interesting is that I was able to anticipate many questions, because I've begun this process I call "Think like a test designer." I also got many perfect passages. Hang in there guys, we are gonna do this, helping each other along as we do it!

Elevencents, my first 1/3 Bio score was 40%. No big deal; they are designed to be like this. You'll improve if you stick to it. Promise! Good job on the others!

UoCfin and Coke, y'all better let me know how tomorrow goes.

Hey guys, just took the January MCAT and signed up for a retake on this date. Not 100% sure I'm going to retake it at this point, but I'm leaning towards that direction right now. If I end up following through, which looks likely, I'll definitely be contributing to this thread.

Welcome, we are happy to have you! I am sorry to hear that a retake may be in order. How'd you study the first time? Where do you think you can possibly make improvements? What was your breakdown?

Hey guys, I like what's going on here! Did my passages for chapter 3's today and I am feeling amazing. I did very well w/ 70% being my lowest score (Bio) -___-. One thing I found interesting is that I was able to anticipate many questions, because I've begun this process I call "Think like a test designer." I also got many perfect passages. Hang in there guys, we are gonna do this, helping each other along as we do it!

Elevencents, my first 1/3 Bio score was 40%. No big deal; they are designed to be like this. You'll improve if you stick to it. Promise! Good job on the others!

UoCfin and Coke, y'all better let me know how tomorrow goes.

Will do, man.... I work a 10 hour shift at the ER tmrw so i may not get all of day one things done, but gonna shoot to finish my stuff for tmrw!

EDIT: do you time yourself each time you take those end of the chapter passages????

Welcome, we are happy to have you! I am sorry to hear that a retake may be in order. How'd you study the first time? Where do you think you can possibly make improvements? What was your breakdown?

I scored a 31 (13 PS, 8 VR, 10 BS) on my first attempt. I basically did a somewhat reduced version of SN2ed's schedule, since I was working part time as well and wasn't able to fully keep up with the schedule. I spent about 3 months studying, with 2 months of content review going through TBR for Physics, Gen Chem, and Orgo and EK for Biology. The last month was spent taking all 8 AAMCs and focusing on reviewing weaker areas.

I was averaging in the 33-34 range on the AAMCs which is why I am considering retaking, since the score I ended up with was on the low end of my range. On test day, I felt like the verbal passages I got were pretty whack, which is what probably contributed to scoring about 2 points lower than my AAMC average in that section. Also, I think I could have studied a bit better for the BS section. I took the test before finishing the last quarter of intro bio, and I also felt that EK was insufficient for someone with a limited bio background like myself. Anyway, I'd be happy to answer questions that anyone has about studying for this test. After going through it once, hopefully I can give some helpful advice to those who have yet to take it.

31, is not a bad score, at ALL! I'm a retaker, and if I get a 31, I'm done. On m first attempt, I used Kaplan for content; huge mistake. This time, I'm using TBR for everything though its extensive for Bio and Orgo. I'm happy w/ it so far. I'm also using a modified version of SN2ed's schedule.

Will do, man.... I work a 10 hour shift at the ER tmrw so i may not get all of day one things done, but gonna shoot to finish my stuff for tmrw!

EDIT: do you time yourself each time you take those end of the chapter passages????

Haha I say you bring your mobile device and watch Khan Academy or other relevant YouTube videos on your downtime. What's your profession? I'm an X-Ray/MRI technologist.

I do not time my first or second 1/3s. The primary purpose of those two sets is to cement the content while I hone my strategy and increase my familiarity w/ question stems and answer choices. This in itself will help w/ improving my time. Rushing through the passages and doing poorly however is low yield. I however log my completion times and I have TPRH SW, and all those questions will be timed.

31, is not a bad score, at ALL! I'm a retaker, and if I get a 31, I'm done. On m first attempt, I used Kaplan for content; huge mistake. This time, I'm using TBR for everything though its extensive for Bio and Orgo. I'm happy w/ it so far. I'm also using a modified version of SN2ed's schedule.

Haha thanks, that's why I'm still on the fence about retaking. But TBR is definitely a good call for PS. It might be excessive for Bio and Orgo but if you have the time to put in I'd rather be safe than sorry. Like I said, I kind of regret using EK for Bio the first time since I haven't taken that many classes in the subject.

see i have gone through all the content at least once using the EK book and i defn don't want to follow the exact TBR schedule b/c i realize my bigger concern is that i did not get enough practice problems before i took my content, so i had trouble regarding question stems and approaching problems.

If you guys don't mind letting me hear your strategy, i would greatly appreciate it. I feel as if right now I may just do the 1/3 of each day along with the EK 1001 that corresponds to those chapters. And if i see myself struggling with content, then I would go back.

Edit: if I get a 30 or above, I am fairly confident that I will be getting into most MD schools in MI, even Wayne MD lol :). But if you join us welcome bud the more the better :)

Last edited:
see i have gone through all the content at least once using the EK book and i defn don't want to follow the exact TBR schedule b/c i realize my bigger concern is that i did not get enough practice problems before i took my content, so i had trouble regarding question stems and approaching problems.

If you guys don't mind letting me hear your strategy, i would greatly appreciate it. I feel as if right now I may just do the 1/3 of each day along with the EK 1001 that corresponds to those chapters. And if i see myself struggling with content, then I would go back.

Edit: if I get a 30 or above, I am fairly confident that I will be getting into most MD schools in MI, even Wayne MD lol :). But if you join us welcome bud the more the better :)

Well what chapters are you least comfortable w/? I'd find those chapters and read them in their entirety from TBR. Additionally, content from EK doesn't match well w/ passages from TBR; confidence killer! Did you do all the EK 1001 problems and have you looked into TPRH SW?

Well what chapters are you least comfortable w/? I'd find those chapters and read them in their entirety from TBR. Additionally, content from EK doesn't match well w/ passages from TBR; confidence killer! Did you do all the EK 1001 problems and have you looked into TPRH SW?

No i have not, i have only done so far 200 EK phys and some chem & orgo as well. I plan on doing all the EK 1001 and even the EK 30 min passages which i did not complete.... like i said i had a horrible first time strategy!!!

Honestly for Bio/orgo i felt fairly comfortable with EK (with the exception of Kidneys portion) but i may actually read through the TBR physics and TBR chem b/c i know that is my generally weak area.

I also recently purchased the 2009 TPRH SW, I am hoping that the edition is still up to date, most people online said that should be fine.

Hey all!

Registered for the June MCAT. I'm a retaker :/ Got my Jan score and PS killed me. PS7/BIO10/VR11.

Going to order TBR books and start on those soon. Anyone have any links to specific BR books to look into for PS?

Happy studying! Lets take this beast down in June.

No i have not, i have only done so far 200 EK phys and some chem & orgo as well. I plan on doing all the EK 1001 and even the EK 30 min passages which i did not complete.... like i said i had a horrible first time strategy!!!

Honestly for Bio/orgo i felt fairly comfortable with EK (with the exception of Kidneys portion) but i may actually read through the TBR physics and TBR chem b/c i know that is my generally weak area.

I also recently purchased the 2009 TPRH SW, I am hoping that the edition is still up to date, most people online said that should be fine.

2009 version is quite fine.

Hey all!

Registered for the June MCAT. I'm a retaker :/ Got my Jan score and PS killed me. PS7/BIO10/VR11.

Going to order TBR books and start on those soon. Anyone have any links to specific BR books to look into for PS?

Happy studying! Lets take this beast down in June.

Welcome! That PS section is surely what brought you down. How'd you study on your first attempt?

I did Ochem Ch.1 and Gen Chem ch.1 - first 1/3 of EK 1001. I'm grading those after work, then doing EK's 30 min for Bio, EK 1001 Physics and Ochem Ch2. Then it'll be time to for bed.

I hope everyone is still going strong.

2009 version is quite fine.

Welcome! That PS section is surely what brought you down. How'd you study on your first attempt?

I focused mostly on PS and Bio. Did content review with the Kaplan books for about 2 weeks and the last 2 weeks I did FLs 2 - 3 times a week with review.

Hi guys, I'm happy to report I'm 30% through content review. It feels good to be progressing. I bombed a passage in Organic chapt. three, 3/7; all the answers were A -___-. Still got 85% though.

Shy, you have abandoned us, not cool haha jk

i think EK does a grt job for Orgo and Bio however, keep in mind they are more of a condensed version. http://charles.io/mcat/ this is a great overview that i have found, which has plenty of outlines for overviews for all subjects. I found the bio pt especially useful.

Oh and if you do need any help with orgo let me know, I love that subject... I can't stand physics but i am getting muchhhhhh better! also look into EK 1001 for orgo.

I have been looking for a summary of the "must know" material from EK....This link is awesome, thanks for posting!

I haven't taken any of the quizzes yet. :)

Hi guys, I'm happy to report I'm 30% through content review. It feels good to be progressing. I bombed a passage in Organic chapt. three, 3/7; all the answers were A -___-. Still got 85% though.

Shy, you have abandoned us, not cool haha jk

Dude, totally lurking, lol :ninja:

Day 1---BR physics chapter 1...went well...about to tackle some passages

SN2ed...

I think I've decided to retake my exam on this day. Took my first test on 1/26/13 and got 12p/3v/11b. :(

I think I've decided to retake my exam on this day. Took my first test on 1/26/13 and got 12p/3v/11b. :(

I feel so bad that you got a 3 in v. Are you going to have them regrade the exam?

Welcome if you decide to stay. This is a great group of people! :)

Yeah I submitted a regrade but I'm not going to get my hopes up.

I'm gonna start restudying during my spring break. Already got myself a copy of TPRH verbal workbook and I'm gonna go through the EK books for the sciences again. :)