Official june/20/2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UoCfin

Love that white coat
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
HEY, TO FOLLOW THE OTHERS: I AM CREATING THE OFFICIAL JUNE/20/2013 MCAT TEST DAY THREAD.

First off: this is my birthday...so whooooooo...
Second,,,am choosing this late test date so that i can creat a gap between my class finals and my test date: taking three classes spring 2013.
Third:::need as much time as possible for this beast...

So, SNDers...please comment...tell us ur plans...study attitude...

Members don't see this ad.

Grr I hate bio. Sub 60% on TBR passages, although it is hard to line them up with EK content. Bio is looking like my weakest area. I guess I know what I'll be doing over spring break! ;)

60% on TBR Bio is actually VERY good! Keep it up! What's most important is you do heavy post-game analysis so that you get accustomed to whatever style passages that may be thrown at you at the real MCAT. TBR is alot harder than the AAMC Bio sections, so don't feel discouraged. What translates to your performance on the AAMC practice tests is relevant.

Grr I hate bio. Sub 60% on TBR passages, although it is hard to line them up with EK content. Bio is looking like my weakest area. I guess I know what I'll be doing over spring break! ;)

My bio score was 55-63% for TBR. For EK 30-min passages, I'm scoring 85-90%. I haven't done any TPR passages yet.

Don't sweat the Bio, use it to learn to think critically but don't let it make you second guess your knowledge base. I've had to come to grips with that.

For anyone falling behind, I managed to read everything but 3-4 pages last night of my Gen Chem Ch.2. I still have to review my O chem ch.2 missed questions, then do my G Chem Ch.2 first 1/3, then do 4-5 verbal passages. And I need to continue making note cards of equations/missed concepts.

It's going to be a long night!

I have Friday off from work and instead of going snowboarding or anything else that would be fun, I'm working towards my goal of owning the MCAT.

First time poster here. I'm in for June 20th too. Originally schedule for the April 2nd exam but pushed it back to June. Just took my first full length and got 10/9/9, aamc 3.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using SDN Mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
First time poster here. I'm in for June 20th too. Originally schedule for the April 2nd exam but pushed it back to June. Just took my first full length and got 10/9/9, aamc 3.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using SDN Mobile

Welcome! This is our online home; support and encouragement at 620 Crush a Feline Street. That's not bad at all on AAMC 3 and I'm sure you should be able to raise that score by a few points in the next few months. You are way ahead of us though.

Glad to see everyone busting along. Shy, EK Orgo though? 50, are you making flash cards w/ an app or web platform?

Gen. Chem acids and bases chapter was way more difficult than I had anticipated :mad:

My bio score was 55-63% for TBR. For EK 30-min passages, I'm scoring 85-90%. I haven't done any TPR passages yet.

Don't sweat the Bio, use it to learn to think critically but don't let it make you second guess your knowledge base. I've had to come to grips with that.

For anyone falling behind, I managed to read everything but 3-4 pages last night of my Gen Chem Ch.2. I still have to review my O chem ch.2 missed questions, then do my G Chem Ch.2 first 1/3, then do 4-5 verbal passages. And I need to continue making note cards of equations/missed concepts.

It's going to be a long night!

I have Friday off from work and instead of going snowboarding or anything else that would be fun, I'm working towards my goal of owning the MCAT.

Dude i feel your pain, Its gonna be a long week for me as well.... MCAT studying and some breaks throughout the day...

Just went over my ch 1 physics 1/3 and I ended up with a:
passage 1: 7/7 (100%)
passages 4,7,10: 4/7 (57%) -- I am upset with myself cuz I missed 4 questions throughout these passages due to a faulty knowledge of concepts regarding gravity and projectiles. (glad I caught it now though). So looks like I am going to have to do some review still.

Today I will be finishing up my TBR O-chem 1/3 and TBR Bio 1/3... Will keep you all updated on the results. Hope everyone is doing well and welcome to any new members, seems like every day were getting someone new lol, :)

Edit: Some advice would be awesome.... For the EK Bio chapters, I was trying to correlate the TBR passages with the specific chapter yet I noticed that for CH1 there was at least 25 passage that go along with EK bio ch1 content... Did you guys just do 1/3 of the 25 passages?

Last edited:
I am knee deep in light and optics. However, I can see the "light" at the end of the tunnel ;).

Nice play on words.

Dudus, I don't use EK for Bio due to correlation issues and other reasons. There is a thread around here somewhere providing the correlation between the EK Chapters w/ TBR passages.

Nice play on words.

Dudus, I don't use EK for Bio due to correlation issues and other reasons. There is a thread around here somewhere providing the correlation between the EK Chapters w/ TBR passages.

i have already found that thread, tho not sure if I like it lol.... do you like the TBR bio or is it far too detailed??

I am not very good at circular motion.

must. learn. variables. and. make. correlations. with. projectile. motion.

Finished my Gen Chem notes from yesterday, finished doing the first 1/3 and scored relatively well, 77.1%, finished reviewing my Ochem ch. 2 second 1/3 passages, nearly finished with Physics ch. 2 notes. Will finish tomorrow and do passages on top of my Biology ch. 2 & 1/3.

I still need to do 3 verbal passages tonight before I pass out. I'm going to do as little as possible tomorrow after I get caught up. :)

Push. shove. repeat.

i have already found that thread, tho not sure if I like it lol.... do you like the TBR bio or is it far too detailed??

All I can say us I LOVE IT! I'll have to lose my money betting in TBR. It's detailed but the comprehensive nature of it provides reassurance and scenarios presented are ones actually seen on the MCAT.

Finished my Gen Chem notes from yesterday, finished doing the first 1/3 and scored relatively well, 77.1%, finished reviewing my Ochem ch. 2 second 1/3 passages, nearly finished with Physics ch. 2 notes. Will finish tomorrow and do passages on top of my Biology ch. 2 & 1/3.

I still need to do 3 verbal passages tonight before I pass out. I'm going to do as little as possible tomorrow after I get caught up. :)

Push. shove. repeat.

Nice! I'm going to order the TPRH Verbal soon. I have only been taking verbal passages intermittently, scoring 8-12 but I don't really trust the sources I'm using. I'm going to do three passages from EK 101 today and see how that goes.

I'm also reviewing my chapters and doing EK 1001 today. Hope everyone is doing well.

All I can say us I LOVE IT! I'll have to lose my money betting in TBR. It's detailed but the comprehensive nature of it provides reassurance and scenarios presented are ones actually seen on the MCAT.

Nice! I'm going to order the TPRH Verbal soon. I have only been taking verbal passages intermittently, scoring 8-12 but I don't really trust the sources I'm using. I'm going to do three passages from EK 101 today and see how that goes.

I'm also reviewing my chapters and doing EK 1001 today. Hope everyone is doing well.

My TPRH verbals have been in that range as well. Although I scored as low as 7 and that scared me. I nearly missed 40% of the questions.

My goal of the day is to re-cap my TBR first 1/3 for Bio one, and finish and recap my O-chem and recap the first 1/3 of O-chem passages as well. If i can get on task I will also be able to get started on my physics passages and even possibly complete them..

Keep up the good work fellas, also akiton I plan on using the TBR passages and using TBR bio chapters if I see any red flags regarding questions and content. (dude Dudus is awesome, I wish i can change my account name to that instead of dietcoke... how did you see my name and think of dudus??)

Members don't see this ad :)
I am knee deep in light and optics. However, I can see the "light" at the end of the tunnel ;).
:laugh:

You just made my day, Forkit, thank you! Haha. TBR Physics chapter 3 was a nice, quick day ;)
I agree. That chapter gave me hope! :D

Dude i feel your pain, Its gonna be a long week for me as well.... MCAT studying and some breaks throughout the day...

Just went over my ch 1 physics 1/3 and I ended up with a:
passage 1: 7/7 (100%)
passages 4,7,10: 4/7 (57%) -- I am upset with myself cuz I missed 4 questions throughout these passages due to a faulty knowledge of concepts regarding gravity and projectiles. (glad I caught it now though). So looks like I am going to have to do some review still.

Today I will be finishing up my TBR O-chem 1/3 and TBR Bio 1/3... Will keep you all updated on the results. Hope everyone is doing well and welcome to any new members, seems like every day were getting someone new lol, :)

Edit: Some advice would be awesome.... For the EK Bio chapters, I was trying to correlate the TBR passages with the specific chapter yet I noticed that for CH1 there was at least 25 passage that go along with EK bio ch1 content... Did you guys just do 1/3 of the 25 passages?
Yeah, I decided to just use both EK and TBR. I have most of the EK biology book read from the fall.The correlation issues were too great, so I decided just to do the whole TBR biology book. It will feel great to be done with the second book of TBR biology. I did most of the first book of TBR biology back in the fall and did well (80-85% correct) but will need to review all and do any missed passages. I think that I skipped a up to a few each chapter. The physiology book is WAY easier than the biochem book. Hang in there!

Nice play on words.

:thumbup:

I think that it is detailed, but for people like me who haven't had genetics or biochem, I'd say it is a must to teach myself. I'm thinking that genetics and biochem will be easy for me in the fall, though!

Push. shove. repeat.

Haha, Circular motion was so, "how the f did I get the right answer, I don't even really know what I'm doing." I'm so uncomfortable with that, lol.

Yeah, I think that we all need to start getting more serious about verbal. It's so hard when you really don't know if you are doing poorly and well until you actually take the test. I have TPRH verbal. I'll need to start that book soon. I also have the EK verbal book, but I know that I already did some of the passages.

My TPRH verbals have been in that range as well. Although I scored as low as 7 and that scared me. I nearly missed 40% of the questions.

Verbal makes me scared too. :scared:

I'm done now with over 200 EK ochem 1001 questions. I'm working on EK ochem chapter three. I do plan on using TBR and TPR for ochem still. I looked over the TBR ochem book again, and my comfort level with the book is greatly increased after doing some brush up EK review. Good thing there are only 8 chapters of ochem TBR so catching up with that won't be so terrible.

Still working on TBR biology chapter 3. I'm taking things slow this week. Next week was a scheduled slow week of rereading chapters and doing EK 1001 questions so I will have next week to catch up on the chapters that I was supposed to do this week which included TBR chem chapter 4 and TBR physics chapter 4. Boo for getting behind, lol.

Hope everyone else's studying is going well! :love: the June group!

My goal of the day is to re-cap my TBR first 1/3 for Bio one, and finish and recap my O-chem and recap the first 1/3 of O-chem passages as well. If i can get on task I will also be able to get started on my physics passages and even possibly complete them..

Keep up the good work fellas, also akiton I plan on using the TBR passages and using TBR bio chapters if I see any red flags regarding questions and content. (dude Dudus is awesome, I wish i can change my account name to that instead of dietcoke... how did you see my name and think of dudus??)

Haha I'm from the Islands so making the connection was second nature; it was a huge case!

Glad to see that we are going along at our own pace. Shy you just got caught up w/ mad responses lol. On Saturday I'll be 45 % done w/ content review. Feels GREAT!

P.s. I freaking HATE verbal!

Haha I'm from the Islands so making the connection was second nature; it was a huge case!

Glad to see that we are going along at our own pace. Shy you just got caught up w/ mad responses lol. On Saturday I'll be 45 % done w/ content review. Feels GREAT!

P.s. I freaking HATE verbal!

:D Don't worry. I won't leave you guys. Sometimes it is hard to type while nursing (2.5 mo. old) so I just read the posts. 45% is so close to 50%. So awesome! Can't wait until I'm there right before the end of March so says my schedule. :)

You guys and your drug lords, lol.

Diet Coke is my favorite beverage, btw.

I just finished my first round of TBR chapters. Following SN2's schedule. I'm kinda worried because of classes/finals interfering with my MCAT.

I just finished my first round of TBR chapters. Following SN2's schedule. I'm kinda worried because of classes/finals interfering with my MCAT.

Hello Blown Away, I'm not sure if you have posted here before so I'd like to extend a warm welcome to 620 Crush a Feline Street. Are you sitting 6/20? You would be way head in that case. Are you retaking?

I hope everyone is being productive!

It is hard to keep on track. :( Welcome to 6/20!

Officially registered for 2pm. Anyone else applying this year and taking this exam?

I'm registered for 2pm as well and applying this year. :)

Hello Blown Away, I'm not sure if you have posted here before so I'd like to extend a warm welcome to 620 Crush a Feline Street. Are you sitting 6/20? You would be way head in that case. Are you retaking?

I hope everyone is being productive!

Thanks for the warm welcome! I am not retaking, this is my first time. Only thing I'm worried about is classes + studying for mcat + ec's. How's it looking for you man?

Thanks for the warm welcome! I am not retaking, this is my first time. Only thing I'm worried about is classes + studying for mcat + ec's. How's it looking for you man?

I will be applying during the 2014 cycle because I want my application to be posted on June 1st, w/ my MCAT score. I'm also working on my involvement in an effort to make my application a little more attractive. I am retaking; I'm doing way better this time round w/ practice and balancing my obligations. Almost 50% one w/ content review, using an extremely modified version of the Sn2ed schedule. Are you registered for 6/20?

I will be applying during the 2014 cycle because I want my application to be posted on June 1st, w/ my MCAT score. I'm also working on my involvement in an effort to make my application a little more attractive. I am retaking; I'm doing way better this time round w/ practice and balancing my obligations. Almost 50% one w/ content review, using an extremely modified version of the Sn2ed schedule. Are you registered for 6/20?

Yeap, registered 6/20, 2pm.

Started my official study schedule March 1st haha. Just took a physiology and microbio class last semester so hopefully some of it stays fresh :naughty:

Started my official study schedule March 1st haha. Just took a physiology and microbio class last semester so hopefully some of it stays fresh :naughty:

That's nice; it should be still fresh. I had P.Chem, Biochem and Immunology. I'm also hoping those help a lot w/ my MCAT studies.

am getting lazy...need motivation...whats happening?

dolFIN, I was wondering where you were and how you were coming along. Stay strong man, YOU GOT THIS......4 more months.

Great plan! :)

Yay! These should help. I'm jelly.

am getting lazy...need motivation...whats happening?

Watching Chad's Videos about IR values. Finished EK ochem book today. :)

That's nice; it should be still fresh. I had P.Chem, Biochem and Immunology. I'm also hoping those help a lot w/ my MCAT studies.

dolFIN, I was wondering where you were and how you were coming along. Stay strong man, YOU GOT THIS......4 more months.
These should help. So jelly that you already took these classes!

Shy you completed that book already? That's mad fast. I'm doing passages today; 5 passages from each chapter 4 chapter along w/ verbal passages. I use my passages to make mini MCATS.

Have a good y'all!

dolFIN, I was wondering where you were and how you were coming along. Stay strong man, YOU GOT THIS......4 more months.[/QUOTE]

DOLFIN! HEH...

am still here dude...am behind on the SN2ed schedule by 4 days now...
Today should be GenChem chapter 2 and 1/3...but am still stuck at Physics chapter 2...need to catch up.

Hey Guys, hope everyone' studying is progressing well. Have some questions for whoever is willing to answer!

Are you guys making your own study notes from the prep book chapters? Or are you merely reading the chapters and doing the practice problems/passages? Have you been making cue cards as well?

Currently, I've been making "condensed" study notes and have been trying to make cue cards. However, making study notes for a given chapter will sometimes take me 2 full days (i.e. bio) and it's making me fall behind schedule. Was wondering if anyone has a more efficient method. I want to finish my content review in 2 months so I have my final month to do AAMC practice tests as well as any other prep company practice tests. (If anybody has suggestions that would be great!)

Also, for those of you using EK's 1001 books, when and how do you use these books? Do you use them only after you've finished studying and reviewing the corresponding lecture? Do you do a problem, check for the answer, then do the next problem? Or do you do all the problems, and not check them, for example, until the day after?

Furthermore, I find that I am taking much too long to answer the discretes from EK 1001, especially for PS. I know I am capable of doing the problem and know I should be getting the answer in 30 seconds to 1 minute, but I'm just very slow at it.

Do any of you have any suggestions for improving the speed at which you tackle PS problems?

Hey Guys, hope everyone' studying is progressing well. Have some questions for whoever is willing to answer!

Are you guys making your own study notes from the prep book chapters? Or are you merely reading the chapters and doing the practice problems/passages? Have you been making cue cards as well?

Currently, I've been making "condensed" study notes and have been trying to make cue cards. However, making study notes for a given chapter will sometimes take me 2 full days (i.e. bio) and it's making me fall behind schedule. Was wondering if anyone has a more efficient method. I want to finish my content review in 2 months so I have my final month to do AAMC practice tests as well as any other prep company practice tests. (If anybody has suggestions that would be great!)

Also, for those of you using EK's 1001 books, when and how do you use these books? Do you use them only after you've finished studying and reviewing the corresponding lecture? Do you do a problem, check for the answer, then do the next problem? Or do you do all the problems, and not check them, for example, until the day after?

Furthermore, I find that I am taking much too long to answer the discretes from EK 1001, especially for PS. I know I am capable of doing the problem and know I should be getting the answer in 30 seconds to 1 minute, but I'm just very slow at it.

Do any of you have any suggestions for improving the speed at which you tackle PS problems?

Welcome Cad! If it takes you two days to make notes, then your note taking is probably excessive. I take notes but not enough to hinder my flow or extend my study time too much and I also intend to be done w/ content in about two months. I type my notes from my notebook in my spare time, which can be easily copied and pasted into flashcard making app. I use EK 1001 on my review days (25 questions from each chapter), after reading the notes I made and reviewing a few TBR in chapter questions.

For now, don't worry about timing. Just be mindful of how long it's currently taking you to complete discretes/passages and how much that time needs to reduced. Focus on understanding and gaining familiarity the questions and passages; that itself reduces the time it takes to complete problems..

Thank you Aktion for the response! Very helpful! What I may do from here on in, is type my notes instead of handwriting them. I type extremely fast in comparison to how fast I write.

Furthermore, it's very comforting that you've said not to worry about the timing! I too was thinking, at this point, my focus should be on understanding concepts as opposed to increasing the speed at which I tackle the problems. Especially because spending time trying to understand the discrete questions/passages as opposed to guessing at them helps me understand the concepts more.

I graduated with my bachelors last May and it's been 2-3 years since I've taken the pre-reqs. Sigh.. why didn't I take this test after my second year university! I can really see how taking the test after you've taken the pre-reqs would be extremely beneficial!

I wish EK/TPR had more passage based problems. Due to timing and lack of money, I didn't get the TBR books - was able to get EK study package and TPR "Cracking MCAT" free from friends. But if I have to take this test a second time around, will definitely go the TBR route!

I also find it encouraging how everybody here seems to be self-studying. I have many friends who've taken the prep courses. But what I've found is that they've all scored around 28 to 29. It seems most of my friends who've self-studied were able to get 30+ .. maybe that's because prep courses sort of restrict you to a schedule/study material and people convince themselves, if they do exactly as the prep course outlines, they will do well. As opposed to if you self study, it encourages you to seek out many different resources and make a schedule that works best for you.

Is anybody here working part time, or full time while they are studying? Or in classes?

Happy studying to all.

Shy you completed that book already? That's mad fast. I'm doing passages today; 5 passages from each chapter 4 chapter along w/ verbal passages. I use my passages to make mini MCATS.

Have a good y'all!
Yeah, it's a quick book...only four chapters. I'm glad that I finished it because it was a personal goal of mine. When I was sick and in the hospital for three months during the summer, I looked at the book when I was starting to feel a little better and went :eek: because my mind had turned into much from looking at the ceiling for so long. It felt good to breeze through the ochem book now and have it be refreshing. It feels good to be in the land of the functional living! I'm starting right back into TBR ochem now. :)

:thumbup:

DOLFIN! HEH...

am still here dude...am behind on the SN2ed schedule by 4 days now...
Today should be GenChem chapter 2 and 1/3...but am still stuck at Physics chapter 2...need to catch up.[/QUOTE] Don't feel bad. I started to feel down because I'm a week behind, but really that's why we started early...right?...for these types of things. ;)

I'm really liking this group. Most people are using the same study tools such as TBR. The other groups seem to be using all sorts of materials. Glad that everyone appreciated TBR because I think that it really prepares you above what other companies provide. Nothing wrong with the others, but I need a lot of practice and a lot of things spelled out in my review. I get annoyed with EK when it says that you don't need to know something for the MCAT then it tests on the exact thing that it says that you didn't need to master. TPR is good, but I really need more passages than TPR provides. Kaplan just sucks, IMO.

Welcome Cad! If it takes you two days to make notes, then your note taking is probably excessive. I take notes but not enough to hinder my flow or extend my study time too much and I also intend to be done w/ content in about two months. I type my notes from my notebook in my spare time, which can be easily copied and pasted into flashcard making app. I use EK 1001 on my review days (25 questions from each chapter), after reading the notes I made and reviewing a few TBR in chapter questions.

For now, don't worry about timing. Just be mindful of how long it's currently taking you to complete discretes/passages and how much that time needs to reduced. Focus on understanding and gaining familiarity the questions and passages; that itself reduces the time it takes to complete problems..

I haven't really worried about timing either, but when I have timed myself I seem to have extra time available. I'f also focus more on learning the concepts. :)

Thank you Aktion for the response! Very helpful! What I may do from here on in, is type my notes instead of handwriting them. I type extremely fast in comparison to how fast I write.

Furthermore, it's very comforting that you've said not to worry about the timing! I too was thinking, at this point, my focus should be on understanding concepts as opposed to increasing the speed at which I tackle the problems. Especially because spending time trying to understand the discrete questions/passages as opposed to guessing at them helps me understand the concepts more.

I graduated with my bachelors last May and it's been 2-3 years since I've taken the pre-reqs. Sigh.. why didn't I take this test after my second year university! I can really see how taking the test after you've taken the pre-reqs would be extremely beneficial!

I wish EK/TPR had more passage based problems. Due to timing and lack of money, I didn't get the TBR books - was able to get EK study package and TPR "Cracking MCAT" free from friends. But if I have to take this test a second time around, will definitely go the TBR route!

I also find it encouraging how everybody here seems to be self-studying. I have many friends who've taken the prep courses. But what I've found is that they've all scored around 28 to 29. It seems most of my friends who've self-studied were able to get 30+ .. maybe that's because prep courses sort of restrict you to a schedule/study material and people convince themselves, if they do exactly as the prep course outlines, they will do well. As opposed to if you self study, it encourages you to seek out many different resources and make a schedule that works best for you.

Is anybody here working part time, or full time while they are studying? Or in classes?

Happy studying to all.

Yeah, try typing the notes if this is quicker. I create a page of notes for each chapter of TBR and each chapter of EK. As I become better at understanding everything, I will make one page for each topic. Before the test, I will have one master sheet of things that I wanted to hone in on. I did the same thing in my ochem class, at it helped me tons on the final. I still have my sheet that I made, luckily.

I think that self studying is just as good as you have seen from your friend's experiences. This is a great group, and I hope that you become a frequent poster!

I work as a nurse in the ER, and I am a mom of four so I can understand time limitations. Most of the people here work and have other obligations including school, it seems.

I want to try to do all the EK 1001 questions in all the books. Right now I'm a third done with the ochem book. I've been doing three pages daily and will be done in a month from now. I did the majority of the biology 1001 book before but need to really redo because it has been a while and I used the questions to help me study while I was in general biology. For chem and physics, I'm about 10% done.

StudyShy, the fact that you are working as a nurse, you are a mother of 4, and you are on the path to becoming a physician is truly inspirational. May nothing ever get in the way of you accomplishing your goal. I wish you all the best and look forward to hearing about your progress!

Happy studying to all.

Hey cad welcome to the group... I like a few other are all studying an working part time so it is difficult but just learn to manage your time. Like today i worked a 12 hr shift but i was able to do some studying luckily... I will be waking up tmrw at 5 am and studying until i have to go work my next 12 hour shift.

Feel more then free to ask questions, I take this site as a big study group and also ppl who can help hold me accountable!

Also as time nears i feel like many of us will be using skype and having weekly sessions lol

I have a job and family, 2 kids.....it does make the process a little more difficult, but not impossible by any means. Cad, TRUST ME, you don't wanna take this test twice. Understand also that retaking means $270 in the sink hole plus lost hours and sanity which are invaluable. If you can, invest in TBR books; if its absolutely unlikely, get TPRH SW and work every problem before sitting the exam. You need practice, more than content.

Yeah, I read Shy's story in another thread and it's absolutely inspiring.

Dudus, what does dolFIN mean he is getting lazy? What exactly is that?

Dude no getting lazy gotta pick it back up.... Don't worry if you find yourself lazy.. Just do a chapter you enjoy! :)
definitely getting back to point today...got my travel bag with me.
Whats in it? TBR Physics and Gen-chem. Lets party.

This forum is so active haha. I go away for like a day or two and I miss like 40 post haha. Good stuff everyone!

I took Kaplan FL 1 today and was happy with PS-9, Bio was alright-7, and I got rocked on verbal-4(it was a beast/I know kaplan's verbal is not the best prep for MCAT verbal:/ ). Lowest score I've ever gotten in verbal.) But it's alright, I am staying focused and I'm looking forward to reviewing my test tmrw. I'm about 60-70% done with content review and still working on my timing and what not. It's all uphill from here :D. I know many people use other review materials. I also have EK and will probably supplement with that after content review to fill in weaknesses. Im not going to take AAMC tests until laaater. Good luck everyone!

Thanks for the insight Aktion - and go you! Man, it really is inspiring to know that there are people like you and shy who are able to prepare for this test while working and raising children. I hear things like this and it gives me that extra boost to work harder and tell myself that yes - it is possible to succeed in this endeavor.

I've looked into TBR and the TPR Hyperlearning workbooks. Based on what I've read with respect to TBR, it takes a great deal of time to come in. Given that I live in Canada, I only imagine the timing will be even longer. I've looked into the TPRH Science workbook as well. This seems promising, however, all the ones I've found on amazon.com aren't shipping to Canada! Will keep looking!

Did 1001 physics passages today and was totally owned. It's almost like every question is a trick question! Anybody else find it a little bit demoralizing when you continue to get tons of questions wrong?. Trying to stay on the positive side and tell myself that every question I get wrong is just an opportunity to learn! ha!

This forum is so active haha. I go away for like a day or two and I miss like 40 post haha. Good stuff everyone!

I took Kaplan FL 1 today and was happy with PS-9, Bio was alright-7, and I got rocked on verbal-4(it was a beast/I know kaplan's verbal is not the best prep for MCAT verbal:/ ). Lowest score I've ever gotten in verbal.) But it's alright, I am staying focused and I'm looking forward to reviewing my test tmrw. I'm about 60-70% done with content review and still working on my timing and what not. It's all uphill from here :D. I know many people use other review materials. I also have EK and will probably supplement with that after content review to fill in weaknesses. Im not going to take AAMC tests until laaater. Good luck everyone!

Don't be leaving us haha jk

Your verbal score will improve w/ practice. You need good practice though like Ek 101 or the TPRH VW. I started out at a 4 in verbal. I have doubled that and better sometimes w/ minimum practice. I'll step up my verbal practice in the beginning of May.

Thanks for the insight Aktion - and go you! Man, it really is inspiring to know that there are people like you and shy who are able to prepare for this test while working and raising children. I hear things like this and it gives me that extra boost to work harder and tell myself that yes - it is possible to succeed in this endeavor.

I've looked into TBR and the TPR Hyperlearning workbooks. Based on what I've read with respect to TBR, it takes a great deal of time to come in. Given that I live in Canada, I only imagine the timing will be even longer. I've looked into the TPRH Science workbook as well. This seems promising, however, all the ones I've found on amazon.com aren't shipping to Canada! Will keep looking!

Did 1001 physics passages today and was totally owned. It's almost like every question is a trick question! Anybody else find it a little bit demoralizing when you continue to get tons of questions wrong?. Trying to stay on the positive side and tell myself that every question I get wrong is just an opportunity to learn! ha!

That sucks! Yeah, keep trying; hopefully you'll find one that does soon. And it can be demoralizing when you miss so many questions. If you are are scoring less than 60-70% on EK, you may wanna revisit the material.

Today, I'm reviewing my passages. See y'all later!

The hard part is balancing actually learning the material and just getting through all of it. I can rush through everything, but if I don't take the time to cement the info in my head, I'm hurting myself in the long run.
. This is exactly what I am conflicted by....I have decided to try and get through content review as quickly as possible. At that point I willI have seen all the material at least once I am goin to retread my notes and start attacking the practice passages and targeting my weak areas....My pace so far just feels too slow, I will be much better served hitting each chapter/area multiple times and trying to memorize needed info/target difficult concepts closer to test time.....I am going to tear through EK Bio today like a junkyard dawg....Carpe diem everyone!

StudyShy, the fact that you are working as a nurse, you are a mother of 4, and you are on the path to becoming a physician is truly inspirational. May nothing ever get in the way of you accomplishing your goal. I wish you all the best and look forward to hearing about your progress!
You guys are so sweet! :love:

Dude no getting lazy gotta pick it back up.... Don't worry if you find yourself lazy.. Just do a chapter you enjoy! :)
This is what I need to remember when I'm feeling like I need a lazy day

Hey cad welcome to the group... I like a few other are all studying an working part time so it is difficult but just learn to manage your time. Like today i worked a 12 hr shift but i was able to do some studying luckily... I will be waking up tmrw at 5 am and studying until i have to go work my next 12 hour shift.

Feel more then free to ask questions, I take this site as a big study group and also ppl who can help hold me accountable!

Also as time nears i feel like many of us will be using skype and having weekly sessions lol
I'm working 12's right now and only get an 1-2 of studying on those days. I agree on the accountability. This place will help us stay motivated.

I have a job and family, 2 kids.....it does make the process a little more difficult, but not impossible by any means. Cad, TRUST ME, you don't wanna take this test twice. Understand also that retaking means $270 in the sink hole plus lost hours and sanity which are invaluable. If you can, invest in TBR books; if its absolutely unlikely, get TPRH SW and work every problem before sitting the exam. You need practice, more than content.

Yeah, I read Shy's story in another thread and it's absolutely inspiring.

Dudus, what does dolFIN mean he is getting lazy? What exactly is that?
Haha, we are not allowed to be lazy. :smuggrin:

How old are your kids, Aktion? Mine are at a great age because they like to cuddle or sit beside me while I study.

definitely getting back to point today...got my travel bag with me.
Whats in it? TBR Physics and Gen-chem. Lets party.
:thumbup: We are so nerdy!:biglove:

I love the activity! Verbal blows and is so hit and miss. Wow! Good job on getting through so much content review! Rock on! :)

Those questions can be tricky. I use them to learn by working through the problems. I actually do better on the TBR questions for physics. I got one set of TBR books from Ebay because BR was taking too long. I have already given my extra books away, or I'd send them to you guys. It took less than a week to get the TBR books that I got from Ebay...3 months for the books I got from BR. :eek:

Don't be leaving us haha jk

Your verbal score will improve w/ practice. You need good practice though like Ek 101 or the TPRH VW. I started out at a 4 in verbal. I have doubled that and better sometimes w/ minimum practice. I'll step up my verbal practice in the beginning of May.

That sucks! Yeah, keep trying; hopefully you'll find one that does soon. And it can be demoralizing when you miss so many questions. If you are are scoring less than 60-70% on EK, you may wanna revisit the material.

Today, I'm reviewing my passages. See y'all later!
Happy reviewing. I always find this like :smack:

. This is exactly what I am conflicted by....I have decided to try and get through content review as quickly as possible. At that point I willI have seen all the material at least once I am goin to retread my notes and start attacking the practice passages and targeting my weak areas....My pace so far just feels too slow, I will be much better served hitting each chapter/area multiple times and trying to memorize needed info/target difficult concepts closer to test time.....I am going to tear through EK Bio today like a junkyard dawg....Carpe diem everyone!
Yeah, I'm afraid that I will forget everything that I learned in the beginning by the time it is test time. Constant reviewing I think is key. Tear through EK! :)

Today, I work a 12-hour shift. I will still get through some verbal and 3 pages of EK 1001 ochem. This book is said to be easy, and it only takes a little while to do several pages. Anything more that I get to today will just be amazing. Happy studing!

My kids are 2 years+6 months and 1 year+3 months. We are really strict in the house though so they were on tight schedules since they were born. Now, they are great; they go to bed at 8pm and wake up between 7:30 and 8:30am. They nap from 12:30pm to 3:30pm. I get a lot done.

I am officially 45% done. I've completed TBR O.Chem book 1; feels really good.

Sounds like everyone is humming along.

I lost this weekend to relaxing with my wife. We can't neglect significant others, so now I'm playing catch-up. We got back late yesterday evening and finished EK Bio chapter 2 and I read the first 10 pages of TBR Ochem ch. 3

I leave work today at 2:30 with the following list to check-off

• Bio Ch. 2 passages first 1/3
  • Finish TBR Ochem Ch. 3 & 1/3
  • Read Gen Chem. Ch. 3 & 1/3

I'm supposed to be re-reading my chapters from the previous week but I won't be able to do that until tomorrow. My schedule will be right-shifted by a day until my rest day (assuming I can finish the above).

Keep pushin and shovin

To do list....
1. Br o-chem chapter 2 and 1/3
2. Ek bio chapter 2 and 1/3

I don't know what it was, but I took 6 pages of notes from EK bio ch. 2. I hadn't seen the material in a long time and I had lost all of mitosis/meiosis.

Good luck.

I don't know what it was, but I took 6 pages of notes from EK bio ch. 2. I hadn't seen the material in a long time and I had lost all of mitosis/meiosis.

Good luck.
It is indeed possible to notate that much for bio. And EK does a good job at it.

Am about to get off work. Do some catching up. Dive into some discreets and passages in TPRH. Go to sleep and wake up to hit it again. Off for tomorrow and Wednesday so am cash in on some TBR.