Official Kaplan Aug 2004 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

willthatsall

Unretired
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just so Kaplan people have a place to discuss their practice tests and progress. How's everyone doing?

Members don't see this ad.

raom_dtpi said:
Hi, I am starting kaplan on the 5th. I am taking it primarily for their practice material. I've been studying from EK until now, I like the style better. Anyone in the same boat? Taking Kaplan but studying from EK?!

Good Luck to all!
Scout

Hey actually that's my combo also I am in k but I am also using ek to study from also. I really have not had a lot of time to da all of it but that will change this saturday. I have been kinda sorta studing for the PRAXIS test that is this saturday so I have really been in a crunch.

The Foundation Review Videos are only available at the Center. And your lesson book has a section in the back to help you follow along with the reviews.

Members don't see this ad :)
DieselPetrolGrl said:
this is very good to hear ..my score on Kap diag...27..Pr....16..what gives

You definitely have the capability to go up by atleast 5 points. Good luck.
The 10 plus is for those with scores as low as 16-21.

Good luck DieselPetrolGrl and don't drink gasoline, it is getting scarce :laugh:

Good luck to everyone. I took Kaplan for April'04. Found the tests very helpful. Studying for MCATs is fun (or it should be until Test date)

Chill

DaveinDallas said:
or are the topical tests difficult? Granted, physics has been 20 years, but I seem to be tanking these things. Not fun.

Also, what's the best way to learn from this? Get the explanations and make sure you understand them and then repeat the test or what?
I teach for Kaplan, and I also prep'ed for the MCAT last year with Kaplan. Do not sweat the topical tests. They are designed for you to bomb them and represent stuff that you will almost never see on test day. Their main purpose is to be insanely difficult to force you to learn the science content very well. Afterwards, the AAMC material (and the actual MCAT) will seem like a cakewalk. I did every topical test when I took Kaplan. I used to get pillaged by them, especially Physics and Gen Chem. Kaplan makes PS extremely hard, and this is true for all of their practice tests. I got a 14 PS on the real deal because of Kaplan... like I said, don't sweat it. Do topicals and use them to your advantage.

Good luck, Kaplan kids. :horns:

TheFlash said:
I teach for Kaplan, and I also prep'ed for the MCAT last year with Kaplan. Do not sweat the topical tests. They are designed for you to bomb them and represent stuff that you will almost never see on test day. Their main purpose is to be insanely difficult to force you to learn the science content very well. Afterwards, the AAMC material (and the actual MCAT) will seem like a cakewalk. I did every topical test when I took Kaplan. I used to get pillaged by them, especially Physics and Gen Chem. Kaplan makes PS extremely hard, and this is true for all of their practice tests. I got a 14 PS on the real deal because of Kaplan... like I said, don't sweat it. Do topicals and use them to your advantage.

Good luck, Kaplan kids. :horns:

Thank you, thank you, thank you. Prostrations at thy lotus feet O August Personage....

I'm over here creating a flat forehead from beating it against the wall. I've been taking comfort in the fact that my scores are increasing by 20% over my diagnostic, but are still nowhere near where I want them to be on these topicals. The thought has run through my mind, "Why am I doing this to myself. I could be an insurance salesman and have less grief. Granted, I'd never be happy or satisfied, but why am I hurting myself like this?"....

DaveinDallas said:
Thank you, thank you, thank you. Prostrations at thy lotus feet O August Personage....

I'm over here creating a flat forehead from beating it against the wall. I've been taking comfort in the fact that my scores are increasing by 20% over my diagnostic, but are still nowhere near where I want them to be on these topicals. The thought has run through my mind, "Why am I doing this to myself. I could be an insurance salesman and have less grief. Granted, I'd never be happy or satisfied, but why am I hurting myself like this?"....

Just Do it :smuggrin:

Premedtomed said:
You definitely have the capability to go up by atleast 5 points. Good luck.
The 10 plus is for those with scores as low as 16-21.

Good luck DieselPetrolGrl and don't drink gasoline, it is getting scarce :laugh:
i like u ........but u haveto let the gasoline jokes go :hug:

Premedtomed said:
awww I feel all soft now. :love: Good luck with your MCAT prep. :thumbup:
u too ...
kaplans sucking hardcore ...i cant find myself to follow the twisted questions in the lesson book ..what will i do ...

Abe said:
i took the kaplan course now, but im taking the test in april, who do i talk to about getting them to give me access till april?
no one...
they are bitter....jk......ok maybe u can get the extended year long prep .. go to www.kaptest.com and find ur local kaplan center and speak to the center director ......i only know the one for "kaplan miami"

Members don't see this ad :)
DieselPetrolGrl said:
no one...
they are bitter....jk......ok maybe u can get the extended year long prep .. go to www.kaptest.com and find ur local kaplan center and speak to the center director ......i only know the one for "kaplan miami"

where are you, I have your precious snake!

Does anybody else do push ups during study breaks. I think it helps keep the blood flowing to the brain after sitting upright in a chair for hours. Also it helps us keep a little bit of tone since we are chair potatoes and everyone else is out having fun this summer. The last benefit is that if I don't get the score I want I will beat the hell out of my Kaplan instructor.

Good luck on the study progress!

Did something rather interesting today. I had my score sheets and the booklet containing the first session Diagnostic test. I had left some answers blank (not realizing wrong answers don't count against you) intending to come back to them and ran out of time.

So this morning I went over the questions and answered them without looking up the formulas or getting any help from any textbooks, whatever.
Since it had the curve breakdown on the front of the report, I scored myself on these extra questions and wound up with a 12VR 8BS and 5PS for a grand total of 25. So just by answering the rest of the questions and getting a few more correct I went from an 18 to a 25.

Feeling much more confident now.

DaveinDallas said:
Did something rather interesting today. I had my score sheets and the booklet containing the first session Diagnostic test. I had left some answers blank (not realizing wrong answers don't count against you) intending to come back to them and ran out of time.

So this morning I went over the questions and answered them without looking up the formulas or getting any help from any textbooks, whatever.
Since it had the curve breakdown on the front of the report, I scored myself on these extra questions and wound up with a 12VR 8BS and 5PS for a grand total of 25. So just by answering the rest of the questions and getting a few more correct I went from an 18 to a 25.

That's good, especially with how much room you have for improvement in PS you should be fine as long as you keep up the verbal. I am taking my first full length Sunday, so I'm anxious to see how I do on that. Anyone else getting ready to take that?

How about anyone who was taking Kaplan for April? Please share your thoughts about what was the most/least effective area of the course, how the practice tests compare to the real thing, etc. Include your score if you don't mind.

i was trying to study on my own, but wasn't getting it done. so i'm starting kaplan on saturday. anyone have any comments bout their experience so far?

DaveinDallas said:

The problem with that is you don't have unlimited time to take the real thing. I don't want to rain on your parade, but the time restriction placed on you during a real test is what makes it so hard. Do not, i repeat, DO NOT assume that because you can get them right after the test is over in non-timed conditions, that you will magically get them right on the test. I know because that is what I did. I studied on my own and I would allow myself extra time to finish it. Don't make the mistakes I made, the only score that is accurate is the actual score you were awarded for taking the test under timed conditions. Don't sugar coat it and make yourself think you are doing better than you are.

On a good side, you have the potential to answer the questions correctly, you now just need to work on answering them correctly in the amount of time allotted.(sp)

Good luck and study hard, i know I am

JDAD said:
The problem with that is you don't have unlimited time to take the real thing. I don't want to rain on your parade, but the time restriction placed on you during a real test is what makes it so hard. Do not, i repeat, DO NOT assume that because you can get them right after the test is over in non-timed conditions, that you will magically get them right on the test. I know because that is what I did. I studied on my own and I would allow myself extra time to finish it. Don't make the mistakes I made, the only score that is accurate is the actual score you were awarded for taking the test under timed conditions. Don't sugar coat it and make yourself think you are doing better than you are.

On a good side, you have the potential to answer the questions correctly, you now just need to work on answering them correctly in the amount of time allotted.(sp)

Good luck and study hard, i know I am

Understand totally. You are correct and that is a big caveat. I was mainly concerned about raw ability since I haven't had A&P II and did my prereqs at a community college. Tells me I can hold my own, just need to speed up and study hard. I was getting a little perturbed with myself since I wasn't seeing my topical scores where I wanted them.

Good points though.

DaveinDallas said:
Understand totally. You are correct and that is a big caveat. I was mainly concerned about raw ability since I haven't had A&P II and did my prereqs at a community college. Tells me I can hold my own, just need to speed up and study hard. I was getting a little perturbed with myself since I wasn't seeing my topical scores where I wanted them.

Good points though.

Hey, if you haven't taken any of the AAMC practice tests you should do that just to see how they compare. I did one the other day and it gives you a whole new perspective on Kaplan, especially PS. It is much easier to finish in time on the AAMC sections from what I saw. I also scored 6 points higher on 3r than on my diagnostic.

not trying to burst your bubble, just fyi --

i thought the 3R version was one of the easier ones in the AAMC practice test bank (3R - 6R; now there's a 7R, but i didnt do that one).

i took a kaplan "test drive" 3 hour, simulated MCAT and i did not do so well (24?). but that was with no review (i think that test was made harder to convince us that we needed to sign up for kaplan).... i was able to score in the 29-31 range after studying (by myslef, no prep class) for two months (all study, no play), and managed to pull a 35 on the april MCAT.

good luck, you can do it!

p.s. i think the AAMC 3R-6R subscription is worth it... the test comes from the source of the actual MCAT, and it automatically scores for you so you can get a feel for how the test really is (taking the AAMC practice test feels different than taking a practice test from the kaplan Q bank (i bought access to it too) - hard to explain, but the questions feel different).

t

Yeah I've heard 3r was easier, but I think it's definitely more realistic than the kaplan diagnostic and it's the only free AAMC test. But your kaplan center should have some of the aamc exams on file. My center has 5r and 6r, but the old versions of 3 and 4. They haven't got 7 yet.

willthatsall, acepoint
I took the spring kaplan course and april mcat. I told myself that if my score was < 28 I'd retake it and unfortunately that's the case.
practice tests i took: kaplan's 1-6R, aamc 4-7
I had an 8 point improvement from kaplan's #1 to aamc #7, giving me a 29.
As I'm sure you know, the kaplan full lengths are much more difficult than the aamc tests (and the aamc tests are a more accurate depiction of the real thing). Taking the first few kaplans motivated or "scared" me into studying harder. Spend tons of time going over them. My teacher said that if we spend 6 hours taking a test, we should spend 6 going over it. I should have spent more time trying to learn from my previous mistakes. I took 10 practice tests in 6 weeks, but might have been better off taking 6 or 7 and spending more time looking over them. At least 3 questions on the april 04 mcat I had seen before on a practice test.
Foundation reviews were ok especially if you're tired and don't feel like taking notes. Just sit back, relax, and enjoy the simplicity of the lesson. Not many students in my class did the online workshops, but I did some towards the end. They're especially helpful if say, you haven't had ochem for 2 years like me and need a good review.

Yeah, I haven't been doing the online workshops lately. Basically sticking with the review notes and the quizzes and topical tests. Probably start in on the flashcards in a couple of weeks. My class sessions (not including full length test sessions) is going to end sometime around the beginning to middle of july which will give me plenty of time to go over everything a second time and break out the flashcards.

SleepPsych72 said:
Does anybody else do push ups during study breaks. I think it helps keep the blood flowing to the brain after sitting upright in a chair for hours. Also it helps us keep a little bit of tone since we are chair potatoes and everyone else is out having fun this summer. The last benefit is that if I don't get the score I want I will beat the hell out of my Kaplan instructor.

Good luck on the study progress!

Hey that's funny; I do that too! And if I am really getting sleepy, I throw in some sit-ups. I thought I was the only one who did this! :laugh:

i don't do pushups, but i gotta walk around.

i cannot stand to study at the kaplan center here.. way too crowded. anyone else have this problem?

lilithny said:
i don't do pushups, but i gotta walk around.

i cannot stand to study at the kaplan center here.. way too crowded. anyone else have this problem?

Should be better now that the LSAT is over though...

The general concensus is that the AAMC is easier than kaplan material. I tend to agree with this but I looked on the AAMC practice material I am using (MM3128) and it is copyrighted from 1991 I think. Since its so old is it still representative of the current level of difficulty. It not then that sucks because I'm getting false hope over here. Some physical science passages I'm not getting any wrong, which is crazy but its Newtonian mechanics.

Also there appears to be a practice effect on the passages in general maybe you get really good at eliminating but the more passages I test on the better I score regardless of what subject area. I mean I can study physics very hard and then all the sudden I'm kicking butt on bio. (craziness!)

As for the sit ups I havn't tried that. I'm superstitious and we all know that in the end superstition prevails over science anyhow. In my demented mind if I do 30 push ups per day I will get a 30 composite on the MCAT!

Once more thing does anybody get so involved with negotiating the MCAT that you forget why the hell your even doing all of this in the first place. I forgot that I wanted to be a doctor for about 2 days during this heinous preparation!

Yeah, the AAMC stuff is definitely easier. I suspect it is a little of both; the Kaplan physics is harder than the real MCAT and the AAMC stuff is easier than the real MCAT. I'm looking forward to taking more AAMC exams to get a better feel for it.

Cerbernator said:
where are you, I have your precious snake!
that sounds really wrong
snake is in my ps2 burning with wrath when i get home from kaplan...he wants me to quit and be his trophy girlfriend (we agreed not to get married)

i am mad behind im my class been doing the required stuff none of the suggested assignment like hte topicals or subject tests =/. I dont like the required stuff either the quizzes are lame cant get above a 70% on them. Ive done one topical it seemed mcat like. Havent done any of the subject tests are they helpful? Are the aamc stuff at the center the best study material?

btw they supposedly gave us the free qbank right?
well they were supposed to give it to me..how DO we acess it ..is that a online deal? can it print?

ahh my fellow kaplinians i think you often in those 6-9pm classes...

Abe said:
i am mad behind im my class been doing the required stuff none of the suggested assignment like hte topicals or subject tests =/. I dont like the required stuff either the quizzes are lame cant get above a 70% on them. Ive done one topical it seemed mcat like. Havent done any of the subject tests are they helpful? Are the aamc stuff at the center the best study material?

I would stick with the topical tests and aamc practice stuff. The subject tests are only useful if you really need help in the subject. The aamc stuff is a little bit easy, but it is still a good format and gives you a chance to see different types of possible questions. Aren't you sitting out the August test anyway?

im angry that everyone isnt jumping over themselves to answer my Qbank question so i will inflict my wrath on kaplan.....ok the truth is i am scared bc of that " why kaplan didnt work for me thread"
...anyone else worried?
:(!

If you read that thread there are actually a lot of success stories in there. If you work hard at studying for the MCAT you will at least make a 25. So I figure that should be the baseline score and you want to add to that as much as you can.
Personally I found the first round of classes on physical sciences easy. Now the second round is over and thats a different story. I had to break out with text books to remember electrostatic concepts and chemistry text for thermodynamics and equilibrium. I remember something about an ICE box grid for equilibriium but like I said I have a lot of work to do.
Are we beyond the point of burn out yet, I mean can we go full throttle up until the MCAT without burning out. What exactly happens when you burnout anyhow? I had a horrible stomach virus for a week and mostly read on the commode during that time. If that doesn't burn me out then I'm fairly confident that nothing will.

SleepPsych72 said:
If you read that thread there are actually a lot of success stories in there. If you work hard at studying for the MCAT you will at least make a 25. So I figure that should be the baseline score and you want to add to that as much as you can.
Personally I found the first round of classes on physical sciences easy. Now the second round is over and thats a different story. I had to break out with text books to remember electrostatic concepts and chemistry text for thermodynamics and equilibrium. I remember something about an ICE box grid for equilibriium but like I said I have a lot of work to do.
Are we beyond the point of burn out yet, I mean can we go full throttle up until the MCAT without burning out. What exactly happens when you burnout anyhow? I had a horrible stomach virus for a week and mostly read on the commode during that time. If that doesn't burn me out then I'm fairly confident that nothing will.
i found the 1st chem section the worst
i alreday feel burnt out but its more like random lazyness
igot a 27 on the diag ( like 20 pts higher than what i was expecting) and sometime si worry if that may have motivated me less...or something
damnit i am not making sense.. i
did two tropical tests so far and scored a 78% and a 30% (physics transitional and bio lymp and circ respectively)..how depressing

anybody else hate these topical tests? I swear I am just crashing and burning on them! (granted I have only been working on Physics since it is my WORST subject but sheesh, how discouraging!!!) :eek:

Scubadoc said:
anybody else hate these topical tests? I swear I am just crashing and burning on them! (granted I have only been working on Physics since it is my WORST subject but sheesh, how discouraging!!!) :eek:
they are so hard and just..MEAN
dont worry i think its kaplan..not us !

...and note that the yr of physics was the ONLY college class that i completly understood, enjoyed, and aced ...kaplan physics is just like making insane deals with every situation and often asking me to apply fomulas/theories in a leap of faith rather than a staunch logical observation leading to their nessesity..oh well verbal today at 1 pm ..wootipydoo

help please! i can't remember how to find the arc tan of something without using the calculator. i have looked it up in my trig book but just can't seem to figure it out. anyone know? thanks a million!! :love:

At what point should I be able to access my syllabus on the website? My course starts tomorrow with the diagnostic, but as I work 40+ hours a week I was hoping to get a head start on some of the material. Was anyone else not able to access the syllabus prior to the start of the course? Mine says "Diagnostic Verification Pending" right now and I can only access the technical requirements and syllabus tutorial.

Also, how long does it take to score the diagnostic?

Thanks, hope everyone's studying is going well. :)

Took my first full-length today, hopefully the scores will be posted tomorrow so I can see how I did. I think I did pretty well on VR and BS, but PS was tough as usual.

willthatsall said:
Took my first full-length today, hopefully the scores will be posted tomorrow so I can see how I did. I think I did pretty well on VR and BS, but PS was tough as usual.

I'm sure you did fine. I've found a new study technique that works for me. I used to just read the Kaplan material and go to class and do the topicals, etc. I still felt like something was missing. So, just on a lark, I started reading the review notes material and highlighting important stuff. Then I copy the highlighted portions into the appropriate section of the lesson book. For some reason, maybe the repetition, it seems to stick better that way. My scores on two topicals went from like a 53 and a 71 to an 88 and an 81. I was pleased.

DaveinDallas said:
I'm sure you did fine. I've found a new study technique that works for me. I used to just read the Kaplan material and go to class and do the topicals, etc. I still felt like something was missing. So, just on a lark, I started reading the review notes material and highlighting important stuff. Then I copy the highlighted portions into the appropriate section of the lesson book. For some reason, maybe the repetition, it seems to stick better that way. My scores on two topicals went from like a 53 and a 71 to an 88 and an 81. I was pleased.

Yeah, I've been doing something similar. I go through the review notes and take even briefer notes into a notebook I have from school. I try not to copy too much stuff down, just stuff that I don't have down yet and I think it helps to write it down and then I have those notes that I can breeze through almost like flashcards instead of the more detailed review notes. I have to be careful not to write too much or I just end up copying the whole book. I ended up with like 6 pages of notes about the different hormones, but overall it seems to help.

The topical test only alot you about 23 minutes or so to complete the section. I take my good old time and answer the questions. I hope this doesn't hurt me too much come test day. I am scoring well but like I said I go slow.
Is anybody else doing this also?