Official: Kentucky Applicants Unite!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tryingagain

Soon to have no life
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Only a few more days until October 15th. Just wanted to see who else out there is an applicant to a Kentucky school. Introduce yourself to everyone!!!:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Members don't see this ad.

Where are you applying? I'm applying to UofL and UK, but I am a non-resident. I went to UK as an undergrad. Lexington is a great city, but parking at UK is impossible. By the way, does anyone know what last year's stats were for UK or how they view non-traditional applicants?

Good luck, go WILDCATS or CARDINALS!!

I have applied to UK and U of L and a few out of state schools. I also graduated from UK and am a KY resident although now I live in another state.

UK's Numbers:
GPA:3.68
MCAT: ~27.5
Class Size: 96

U of L's Numbers
GPA: 3.6
MCAT: 27.3
Class Size: 141

C-A-T-S.......................CATS,CATS,CATS!!!!!!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all from KY!!!! I am also a KY resident, currently attend UK and am applying to UK, UL, as well as other schools out of state. Despite what many people will say, KY is a wonderful place; I love it. Anyway, if anyone has any questions re. KY schools, feel free to ask. Good luck everyone!

Who has interviewed at both schools? I have interviewed at UK and have an interview at U of L on the 6th of November. I am dying to talk to someone who has interviewed at both schools to get their opinion on the differences between each school.

go kentucky... i am from ky and went to college in the northeast.. may go back to UK or U of L or maybe somewhere else if i get in. not applyign for a year or 2 though.. what is your sense of differences between UK and U of L.. uk a little smaller, less time in class, u of l a little bigger, more classes, more traditional? what about differences between clinical training? uk has all the new stuff like the big patient tower, the gill heart institute, etc.. are the louisville hospitals expanding? how do current students at each school feel about their training?

I'm a senior at UK right now (so maybe a little biased). I'm applying to both UK and Louisville, although I haven't finished the UK secondary. (Note to self: just do it!)

Some thoughts on UK vs UofL: At two interviews (Vandy and Hopkins) faculty interviewers brought up the two schools in the bluegrass state. Both times, the faculty member had good things to say about UK and bad things to say about Louisville. Also, I'm pretty sure UK does much more research. On the other hand, Louisville (not necessarily University Hospital, but the some of the hospitals in the city such as Jewish) has done some cool stuff recently such as the hand transplant and artificial heart transplant.

I have a friend who is at UofL. She was very bright in high school and got into the GEMS program (guaranteed admission to med school). She is one of the most perky and positive people I know, but when I asked her about her experience at Louisville, she didn't want to talk about it, which seemed like a bad sign. I've heard from various sources that the first two years at UofL are miserable but the clinical years get better.

On another note, I think Lexington is a nicer place to live. It's definitely a smaller community, but I like the college town environment that is prevalent in Lex but totally missing in the Ville. Of course if you've been here a while, it can get old.

any uof l med students out there to comment? how are your first 2 years? any small group work, problem based learning? are we just dealing with a normal cards/cats rivalry, and are both places great?

Are any of you calling UK on the 15th to check your status or are you waiting for snail mail?

Are any of you calling UK on the 15th to check on your status or are you waiting for snail mail?

I definitely am. I can't wait any longer. When did you interview Opus???

I interviewed this Sat. and it went great. I interviewed last Tues. at UL and it went well, also. I got rejected after interview from UL last year and waitlisted at UK right away. And both interviews were in early Oct of last year! Don't think I can handle that disappointment again, I feel much better about both interviews this year. Hope we get in sooner rather than later.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry but I interviewed in Sept of last year for both schools. So you see my shock and disappointment of the outcome.

I've been accepted to both schools!

Ok, so I'm accepted to UK and interviewed yesterday at UofL. What are your thoughts on these schools? Where are you guys going and why? I'm leaning toward UK.

Is it just me, or does UK seem to do a better job of selling itself.
It doesn't hurt that Lexington seems like a better place to live than in Louisville. The college campus atmosphere to me trumps the Urban metropolis atmosphere.

I wish I knew which program had a better medical education. On the one hand, one can argue that U of L has better clinical education because of the great hospitals in the Louisville area, however if you look at residency matches of the two schools, UK seems superior(i.e. Hopkins, Mass. General Hospital, Colorado, UCLA, Mayo etc). I would think that the residency matches are the most indicative of a "better" medical school. Then again, on the U of L brochure it states that U of L is a top 1/3 medical school.

As for research, I'm pretty sure that UK gets more research funding than UofL.

Also, doesn't UK have a higher USMLE step 1 "passing" scores or is that just a rumor.

Lastly, U of L seems to have unit learning, where every student has their own desk, while UK students seem like they have to study at the library. I wish UK had a desk for every student.

Any comments from UK premed, UK med, UofL premed, or UK med will be deeply appreciated.

For those with acceptances from both, which way are you leaning right now.

Thanks in advance

P.S. Hey Owen, what did the Hopkins and Vanderbilt have to say about the two medical schools. Was is generic or specific on why UK is a better medical school?

I don't remember hearing anything specific from other schools about why UK is better than U of L, but I think it is pretty much common knowledge in Kentucky the UK is the better school in every way (except maybe football).

Regarding the unit learning, I work in a lab in the UK medical center, and when I was walking to the cafeteria the other day, I noticed a new sign close to the med student lounge. According to the sign, UK has purchased a very large building (I assume near the medical center) that will be used for student study rooms and patient simulators. I don't remember all the details, but it sounded pretty cool.

I have also been accepted to both UK and UL, but, unlike most people on here it seems, I will be attending UL next year. The fact that I am from Louisville is, of course, a major factor in my decision. I am finishing undergrad at UK and quite frankly am sick on Lexington (the Nicholasville Rd. traffic alone will make you want to kill someone!). I have also heard many people I know saying how UK is the better of the two, and I have always wondered why so many people think this. I am not saying UL is better, I just really don't see how you can distinguish the two. I would say that each has its strengths and weaknesses and you have to pick the one thats best for you (common sense, i know). Personally, I think many people are enticed by the UK schedule because they claim you only go from 8-12 each day, but what some people overlook is the additional hours in labs. And what it boils down to is in the end we all have to learn the same material to take the same test, so whether you are in class or not, you will just have to spend more time outside of class studying. That's just how I see it. I am still keeping an open mind about the two schools and have not finalized my decision. If anyone has any other info about the schools I am interested to hear it. BTW, anyone else out there leaning towards UL?

I was accepted at UK and was just accepted at U of L yesterday. From everyone I have talked to in the real world of medicine, i.e. doctors who have been out a while, UK seems to have the better reputation. Also, I received a PM from an applicant on here who said while interviewing at Hopkins and Harvard the interviewers both asked why he had no interest in attending his KY state schools. He gave his reasons and then he said that both times the interviewers had nothing but bad things to say about U of L and nothing but good things to say about UK. I don't know if that means anything, but its interesting.

Also, I know of people with sub-25 mcats that have been accepted to U of L that were not even granted interviews at UK. Interesting.

Oh, I'm going to UK.

Originally posted by tryingagain
[Also, I received a PM from an applicant on here who said while interviewing at Hopkins and Harvard the interviewers both asked why he had no interest in attending his KY state schools. He gave his reasons and then he said that both times the interviewers had nothing but bad things to say about U of L and nothing but good things to say about UK. I don't know if that means anything, but its interesting.

Also, I know of people with sub-25 mcats that have been accepted to U of L that were not even granted interviews at UK. Interesting.

Yeah, that person must have told that story on here somewhere because I remember reading it. I find it astounding that an interviewer would truly bad mouth another med school during an interview, and, personally, if that had happened to me, it would have only left a bad taste in my mouth regarding the school at which I was interviewing. I just think that is in poor taste. But, I am curious exactly what was said about each school. If we could get more details that would be appreciated. I really want to go to UL, but if it is truly as awful as people on here would have you believe then I don't want to make a huge mistake. Does anyone have any more concrete evidence besides just that the word around town is that UK is better? BTW, the average MCAT at UK and UL are almost identical (I think like maybe 2 tenths of a point difference) and I would chalk up even that small difference to the mere fact that UL's class is larger so naturally they cannot be as selective.

I don't think that U of L is a bad school. I think that you will be happy with whatever you choose. I agree that their stats are the same. Basically I think it comes down to what city you want to live in. I'm sure that there are just as many stories out there the are bad about UK, its just that we haven't heard them. I would talk to a few people at U of L and get their honest opinion of the program. Let me know what you find out.

I finally interviewed at UK on 12/21 and got accepted yesterday (1/9). I was really impressed with UK, especially their curriculum. It actually reminded me a lot of the University of Pittsburgh. My only reservation about UK (and I know this sounds pretty bad coming from a native Kentuckian) is that I've heard that the "hick" quotient at UK is higher than at U of L.

I love UK's program too. I am definitely set on UK. I remember reading somewhere that UK's federal research money is much higher than U of L's. Anyone know the details on this???

Owen - where are you planning to go? Did you like UK or U of L better????

anyone want to go to UK or U of L?
aneone?

bump :)

I am applying to both uk and uofl as an out of state student. I completed my uk app on the 21st and am hoping to hear about an interview soon. I sent in my uofl app on monday also. A lot of the posts about uofl have made me wonder if it would be a good choice considering it is 35g out of state and seems to have some questionable addmission standards. I am open to hearing more about both school and look forward to interviewing.

good to hear someone else is applying to UK/U of L. i think they are both good schools, with a major difference being more lecture time at U of L, but a longer academic year at UK. plus the differences between louisivlle and lex- louisville being more of an urban environment, and lex being a college town and very spread out..

what do you mean by questionable admission sds at U of L?

I think you guys are worrying too much about these 2 schools' differences. They aren't really that much different. And you will learn the exact same things and when you graduate, you will be an MD from either place. With that said, if you have any questions, please feel free to PM me and I will tell you everything I know. :)

Good luck.

Originally posted by tryingagain
Ok, so I'm accepted to UK and interviewed yesterday at UofL. What are your thoughts on these schools? Where are you guys going and why? I'm leaning toward UK.

I told you you would get into UK this time.

Congratulations.

Originally posted by OneStrongBro
Lastly, U of L seems to have unit learning, where every student has their own desk, while UK students seem like they have to study at the library. I wish UK had a desk for every student.

Well, I have seen UofL's student desks, and there are like 6 or 8 in a small room, and I just couldn't see myself studying like that. I like to study alone, or with just a couple of people.

UK does have several study rooms for us in the school (and they are getting that new building), and has a large study area in the basement of the medical school library - aka the "dungeon".

Like KyGrlDr2B (we're in class together - Hi:) ) said, feel free to ask me anytime about UK. I can't say much about UofL since it's been almost 2 years since I interviewed there.

I also applied to both schools and have an interview scheduled for the U of KY. Thank goodness they interview on Saturdays so we do not miss too many classes. I am really excited about interviewing there and I am sure that it will be a great experience....Oh by the way I am an out of state applicant.

I would just like to add to this post that I was immediately rejected from U of L but received an interview from UK.... weird huh?

Originally posted by Jamier2
Well, I have seen UofL's student desks, and there are like 6 or 8 in a small room, and I just couldn't see myself studying like that. I like to study alone, or with just a couple of people.

UK does have several study rooms for us in the school (and they are getting that new building), and has a large study area in the basement of the medical school library - aka the "dungeon".

Like KyGrlDr2B (we're in class together - Hi:) ) said, feel free to ask me anytime about UK. I can't say much about UofL since it's been almost 2 years since I interviewed there.

You must have been looking in the wrong room. Only some people study in the unit labs. The library is right across the courtyard and there are a variety of other places to study. Unit labs are typically composed of about 20 or so students and the rooms are not small, by any means. Quite accomodating for small group discussions and histology lab review.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I live in Kentucky, have applied to both UL and UK. Have an interview at UK on Feb 10th (*cross fingers*)

I'm complete at UL, but haven't heard anything else.

Good to see all these applying to Kentucky Schools! I love my home state :)

Hey Tas,
Did you get a letter from UK saying that they expected all positions to be filled by early January? I have my interview next week and I am nervous that the best I am hoping for is the waitlist!

Hey Tas,
Did you get a letter from UK saying that they expected all positions to be filled by early January? I have my interview next week and I am nervous that the best I am hoping for is the waitlist!

Yes, I did. I do believe we (my interview is later too) are interviewing for the waitlist. I do feel like there will be movement though, as many that apply to UK also apply to UL, some of those will SURELY choose UL :) (I haven't gotten an interview there yet :( ) so maybe we can still get in!

I'm going to that interview prepared to work my butt off, hoping I get next open spot :D

Good luck!

Where are you from? out of state? in state?

I'm going to UK! Wohoo! Accepted in December. Anyone else who's going EMAIL ME! U of Kentucky class of 2008!

[email protected]

Nora

Grats Nor!!

When did you interview?

What kinds of questions did they ask, if you don't mind me asking?

Congrats Nor2 and good luck Tas,

I was accepted to UK in oct Tas, interviewed in Sept.

Im trying to decide if its UK, UL, or cincy as we speak. Cant go wrong with any of them.

Nor2, did you go to the Jan 3 UK luncheon thing? If so, anything special?

Thanks

They asked just general questions to understand you better. Yes I went to the luncheon and the financial aid presentation was VERY helpful because I don't know anything about financing my education!

Anyone gotta choose between UK and UL... If so, what are you basing it on?

I had to choose between UK, UL, Southern IL and Rush.

I chose UK for the following reasons...

1) Everything in ONE building! Med school, hospital, children's hospital, etc etc... no commuting to rounds, etc.

2) The city size 250,000... Big enough to be a real city but not as intimidating at Chicago or Louisville's millions.

3) The people were awesome :) (Though the people at UL and SIU weren't bad either)

4) I love horses and have been riding and training for years.... I could keep doing it in Lexington the best

5) Price - Cheaper than UL and you can get residency after a year.

Wow, not many UK people this year on SDN. Thanks for the list Nor. One big plus about UK for me is the schedule the first two years is great, IMO.

So are you going to UK this year?

Anyone going to UK class of 2008 besides me!?

Nor,

Finally decided on UK. Barring something crazy in the next month, I'll see you there in August.

David