Official Letterhead on LORs??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LBJ2Chicago

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I was wondering what the deal is with the Official Letterhead from Universities that schools require for the LORs. I basically had my professors send the letters to Interfolio via electronically or through the mail. Can somebody please elaborate on this?? I don't know if they used Official Letterhead....:scared:

Members don't see this ad.

Call interfolio and ask them if the writers put it on official university letterhead. They will tell you, at least they told me. If not, u should ask ur writer to resubmit it on official letterhead and make sure to include title (assoc. Prof), degree, department, phone number and email along w signature. That's how u compose professional coorespondence and that's how school's typically want em.

Sent on the Sprint® Now Network from my BlackBerry®

Thanks. What about the DO letter? Do schools want in on letterhead or something? I'm sure my DO created his own, Interfolio account and filled in the parts asking him about his education, grad year, etc...

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks. What about the DO letter? Do schools want in on letterhead or something? I'm sure my DO created his own, Interfolio account and filled in the parts asking him about his education, grad year, etc...

The physician should have official letterhead that he/she has developed for their practice or through the hospital in which they are affiliated.

It's pretty unheard of that a physician in private practice wouldn't have their own letterhead considering its a quality control measure to better ensure that whatever the content of the correspondence was developed by the physician. I've never seen any letters from any private practice physician addressed through the hospital or the pharmacy I worked at that wasn't on their own letterhead. A blank white sheet with a letter is rather suspicious.

Again, you can call Interfolio and ask them to check if your letters were submitted on official letterhead. When you ask for your letters, you should give your letter writers a shorthand version of your CV, transcripts, and the Interfolio/AMCAS letter request forms. On the letter request form, write in a black sharpie, "Please write & insert signature on official letterhead." Highlight it after you write it if you must.

Honestly, physicians and university faculty should know to write LORs on official letterhead. However, stuff happens. I found out one of the physicians I work for had not sent the LOR to Interfolio on letterhead. I found out when I wasn't marked complete in a timely fashion and contacted the school. The school told me the letter was not on letterhead and needed resubmitted.