*~*~*~*Official Letters of Recommendation Questions Thread 2018-2019*~*~*~*

gonnif

Rule One: Take a Breath
Lifetime Donor
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
  1. Non-Student
Hi! First time poster here so bear with me. I submitted all of my LORs through the AMCAS letter service long ago. However, I started a new clinical position in the mean time and, last week, my boss offered to and subsequently wrote me a new LOR to add to my application. Seeing as I've already completed and submitted all secondaries, what is the best way to go about sending this letter to my schools? Should I still use the AMCAS letter service or upload it as an update to the schools that accept such a thing? Thanks for your expertise!
None of the above.

1) You just started the position and your boss has little evidence to say how you have worked at this job. The letter will have little impact

2) sending the letter in thru the AMCAS service will be telling the schools to stop evaluating your app, add this letter, close your file, then back to evaluation and review which may mean that you go to the bottom of the pile.

3) having a letter sent written by a third party directly to the school would violate the AMCAS letter service agreement witb schools and, though highly unlikely, could trigger an investigation

4) the only thing you can do is send an update noting a new job and this will have little impact now. Wait until Oct

laOn

2+ Year Member
Jan 8, 2016
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
Hi
I have 4 individual letters; 1 sci prof / 1 PI who is also a science dept faculty / 1 non-sci / 1 volunteer coordinator. As for the content, I feel they've written me a strong ones.
My school does have a pre-health office and offers a committee letter service. But my advisor whom i have known for 4 years have left the school shortly before the application cycle started. Even more, my file was gone with him too :nailbiting:
The new advisor doesn't know me at all and seeing how they've just tossed out my file like that i wasn't sure if they were the right place to get a committee letter. So i just sent out the individual letters to the amcas.
but most of the schools that i'm applying to require a committee letter if provided. my app is still under the review but i'm not sure if i should still try to get a committee letter.
thank you!

gonnif

Lifetime Donor
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
  1. Non-Student
Hi
I have 4 individual letters; 1 sci prof / 1 PI who is also a science dept faculty / 1 non-sci / 1 volunteer coordinator. As for the content, I feel they've written me a strong ones.
My school does have a pre-health office and offers a committee letter service. But my advisor whom i have known for 4 years have left the school shortly before the application cycle started. Even more, my file was gone with him too :nailbiting:
The new advisor doesn't know me at all and seeing how they've just tossed out my file like that i wasn't sure if they were the right place to get a committee letter. So i just sent out the individual letters to the amcas.
but most of the schools that i'm applying to require a committee letter if provided. my app is still under the review but i'm not sure if i should still try to get a committee letter.
thank you!
It appears too late for you to get committee letter for this cycle. Stick with insividual

About the Ads
Sep 4, 2006
The Other Side of the Portal
Status
  1. Attending Physician
But my advisor whom i have known for 4 years have left the school shortly before the application cycle started. Even more, my file was gone with him too :nailbiting:
Stick with insividual
I agree. And if asked why, you have an excellent explanation.

Nov 1, 2017
Toronto
Status
  1. Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Hi!
A school just emailed me about one of my letters not being on letterhead, do you guys know if the letter writer can submit a new version with the same letter request form or should I create a new letter entry? And if I have to create a new letter entry, should I send this version to all the previous medical schools (who would also have had the old letter sent to them) or would that look bad?

Reactions: fishinnawater
Sep 4, 2006
Status
  1. Attending Physician
A school just emailed me about one of my letters not being on letterhead, do you guys know if the letter writer can submit a new version with the same letter request form or should I create a new letter entry? And if I have to create a new letter entry, should I send this version to all the previous medical schools (who would also have had the old letter sent to them) or would that look bad?
Don't create a new letter entry. The letter writer should use the same AMCAS letter ID and upload a corrected version which has a letterhead. It will be added to the existing letter. All your schools will be updated automatically.

Reactions: fishinnawater

mariposas905

2+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2017
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
Sep 4, 2006
Status
  1. Attending Physician
@Catalystik do you know which letter option we are supposed to select in Interfolio? I was confused whether it is 2018 or 2019 year for this cycle...the two options given are below:

American Medical College Application Service (AMCAS) 2018 Letters of Recommendation
AMCAS Letter Service Sep 29, 2018 at 11:59 PM EST
American Medical College Application Service (AMCAS) 2019 Letters of Recommendation
AMCAS Letter Service Sep 28, 2019 at 11:59 PM EST
Both links appear to go to exactly the same page.

mariposas905

2+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2017
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
Both links appear to go to exactly the same page.

Oh I didn't mean to attach the links; I included them to show you what the name of the links are. The links don't work unless you are logged into the account. I was wondering which year to select for sending Interfolio letter to AMCAS for the 2018-2019 cycle. Is it the 2018 link year or the 2019 year?

gonnif

Lifetime Donor
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
  1. Non-Student
Oh I didn't mean to attach the links; I included them to show you what the name of the links are. The links don't work unless you are logged into the account. I was wondering which year to select for sending Interfolio letter to AMCAS for the 2018-2019 cycle. Is it the 2018 link year or the 2019 year?

if you are submitting AMCAS now in 2018 it is for 2019 Matriculation so use the 2019 year

Jan 3, 2018
Status
  1. Medical Student
I have just received a LOR from my PI who I have done research with for almost 2 years. All of my applications have been complete since mid-late July, I had other letters that met the requirements for all the schools I applied to (2 science, and 1 non-science prof). I really want to use this letter from my PI, i am confident it will be a strong letter, but I am worried that sending another letter in so long after submitting my secondaries will be viewed as being impatient. I have seen that some schools don't want any additional uploads after application is complete, does this apply to LORs as well? Should I add this other letter? For schools which I have already received an II?

TL;DR: Got another LOR over a month after being complete, should I add it to my app?

Apologies if this comes across as super neurotic

gonnif

Lifetime Donor
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
  1. Non-Student
I have just received a LOR from my PI who I have done research with for almost 2 years. All of my applications have been complete since mid-late July, I had other letters that met the requirements for all the schools I applied to (2 science, and 1 non-science prof). I really want to use this letter from my PI, i am confident it will be a strong letter, but I am worried that sending another letter in so long after submitting my secondaries will be viewed as being impatient. I have seen that some schools don't want any additional uploads after application is complete, does this apply to LORs as well? Should I add this other letter? For schools which I have already received an II?

TL;DR: Got another LOR over a month after being complete, should I add it to my app?

Apologies if this comes across as super neurotic

sending the letter in thru the AMCAS service will be telling the schools to stop evaluating your app, add this letter, close your file, then back to evaluation and review which may mean that you may go to the bottom of the pile, if if gets read at all as you are likely already evaluated

4) the only thing you can do is send an update noting a new job and this will have little impact now. Wait until Oct

About the Ads
May 24, 2018
Status
  1. Medical Student
I am a non-trad applying MD/PhD next cycle. A few schools require for applicants 1+ year out of school to send in letters from their immediate supervisor. For example, Baylor says "If you have not attended a college or university for one year or more...one of your evaluations must be from your immediate supervisor." One of Northwestern's options for non-trad letters is "1 letter by a supervisor from research experience, 1 letter by non-science faculty member or volunteer supervisor and 1 letter by volunteer supervisor or employer." However, in my case, my immediate supervisor is also my research mentor. Will schools accept one letter for two requirements like this? I imagine I'll have to ask the schools directly

gonnif

Lifetime Donor
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
  1. Non-Student
I am a non-trad applying MD/PhD next cycle. A few schools require for applicants 1+ year out of school to send in letters from their immediate supervisor. For example, Baylor says "If you have not attended a college or university for one year or more...one of your evaluations must be from your immediate supervisor." One of Northwestern's options for non-trad letters is "1 letter by a supervisor from research experience, 1 letter by non-science faculty member or volunteer supervisor and 1 letter by volunteer supervisor or employer." However, in my case, my immediate supervisor is also my research mentor. Will schools accept one letter for two requirements like this? I imagine I'll have to ask the schools directly

Its fine to do that; research mentor can also be your supervisor. However, you will still need the minimum number of letters.

Reactions: olayalas

subdermallight

2+ Year Member
Jan 24, 2016
Status
  1. Medical Student (Accepted)
I’m using Interfolio but I guess my letter writer got confused and just emailed me her lettter.

I’ll explain how to upload from the Interfolio email but is there any protocol for this since I’ve seen it? (Well I didn’t open it lol)

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2017
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
I've completed all schools mid August with required LORs. This summer I worked in a lab and the PI agrees to write a letter to support me. My work is good and I am working on a first author paper (a couple of months more work needed), so I am guessing the letter will be strong. My other letters are from science and other professors but no research mentor's because previous research with a different PI was not too successful, did not result in any paper. Should I send this letter to the schools? Should I email them first before send from AMCAS? (ORM, LizzyM 81)

gonnif

Lifetime Donor
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
  1. Non-Student
I’m using Interfolio but I guess my letter writer got confused and just emailed me her lettter.

I’ll explain how to upload from the Interfolio email but is there any protocol for this since I’ve seen it? (Well I didn’t open it lol)
there is no issue here. A letter writer can send you the letter if the choose. You cant demand to see it

gonnif

Lifetime Donor
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
  1. Non-Student
I've completed all schools mid August with required LORs. This summer I worked in a lab and the PI agrees to write a letter to support me. My work is good and I am working on a first author paper (a couple of months more work needed), so I am guessing the letter will be strong. My other letters are from science and other professors but no research mentor's because previous research with a different PI was not too successful, did not result in any paper. Should I send this letter to the schools? Should I email them first before send from AMCAS? (ORM, LizzyM 81)
You can just generate a letter ID, have professor upload the letter, then assign it. Be aware that if you file in complete and evaluation that the letter will be added and read. Also be aware by adding this letter, some schools will take your file out of complete status and evaluation, add the letter, and then put you in at the bottom of the pile for evaluation

Apr 14, 2017
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
You can just generate a letter ID, have professor upload the letter, then assign it. Be aware that if you file in complete and evaluation that the letter will be added and read. Also be aware by adding this letter, some schools will take your file out of complete status and evaluation, add the letter, and then put you in at the bottom of the pile for evaluation
Thank you very much @gonnif ! Do you think it is worth it at this time to risk getting put to the bottom of the pile?

gonnif

Lifetime Donor
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
  1. Non-Student
I am a graduate of a 2 year Medical Radiography program. I have always assumed that a LOR from my radiography professor would be a non-science, but I am wondering if that could actually be classified as science? I think it is kind of a gray area. I did take a radiographic physics course from them. Thoughts?

BCPM, usually referred to as science, is an AMCAS classification used for GPA. Science is used by schools usually under the more generic, broad meaning of the term. However, this will be vary by schools and even by individual adcom members. Since "traditionally" science has meant undergraduate courses towards classic majors such as chemistry, biology, etc and non-science as other typical UG courses, allied health such as radiography, will be interpreted as some as science, some as non-science, and even by some as neither. This is one of the reasons why "specialized health majors" have the lowest acceptance rate to medical schools

About the Ads

subdermallight

2+ Year Member
Jan 24, 2016
Status
  1. Medical Student (Accepted)
I did an NIH research internship for 2 summers at one lab. The post-doc I worked under is now a professor in a totally different institution in another country; I asked for his letter instead of the PI because I barely knew the PI.

How important is it that I get the NIH PI to co-sign my letter? There’s actually no mention of the NIH in the letter (my mistake) but the dates are there and it would be simple to put two and two together from my Activites. Is that a problem?

I think I may be able to get the co-sign if I ask my writer to email the NIH PI directly (he didn’t respond to me), but I feel strange asking that and don’t want to inconvenience my writer. How important is it to see the PI from the NIH supports me if the now-professor-not-at-NIH post-doc I worked for clearly does?

gonnif

Lifetime Donor
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
  1. Non-Student
I did an NIH research internship for 2 summers at one lab. The post-doc I worked under is now a professor in a totally different institution in another country; I asked for his letter instead of the PI because I barely knew the PI.

How important is it that I get the NIH PI to co-sign my letter? There’s actually no mention of the NIH in the letter (my mistake) but the dates are there and it would be simple to put two and two together from my Activites. Is that a problem?

I think I may be able to get the co-sign if I ask my writer to email the NIH PI directly (he didn’t respond to me), but I feel strange asking that and don’t want to inconvenience my writer. How important is it to see the PI from the NIH supports me if the now-professor-not-at-NIH post-doc I worked for clearly does?
A postdoc who is now on faculty elsewhere is enough

Reactions: subdermallight
D

deleted827260

Is a letter of recommendation dated end of 2018 acceptable for use when applying June 2019 or must it be dated 2019. This is the last semester my only non-science professor who knows me on a personal level is teaching at my university. I do not believe she would be able to update the letter with the official letter head in January and send it to my university's letter packet service since she will no longer be associated with the university. Therefore, she would be sending it in by December when she is still associated with the university. -Traditional applicant

gonnif

Lifetime Donor
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
  1. Non-Student
Is a letter of recommendation dated end of 2018 acceptable for use when applying June 2019 or must it be dated 2019. This is the last semester my only non-science professor who knows me on a personal level is teaching at my university. I do not believe she would be able to update the letter with the official letter head in January and send it to my university's letter packet service since she will no longer be associated with the university. Therefore, she would be sending it in by December when she is still associated with the university. -Traditional applicant
It will be okay

Reactions: deleted827260

redrosesfi

7+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2012
Status
I am a non-traditional applicant. I have letters that I got from professors in 2016 when I took the courses, stored in my interfolio account that I plan to use when applying next cycle. I also have updated letters dated 2018 from my work experience and volunteering experience. I also have physician letters stored in my interfolio account when I did physician shadowing in 2016, and another physician shadowing letter dated 2018. Would these letters all be ok to use? Or should I just ask everyone to update all their letter dates to 2019 for when I plan to apply? Thanks.

gonnif

Lifetime Donor
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
  1. Non-Student
I am a non-traditional applicant. I have letters that I got from professors in 2016 when I took the courses, stored in my interfolio account that I plan to use when applying next cycle. I also have updated letters dated 2018 from my work experience and volunteering experience. I also have physician letters stored in my interfolio account when I did physician shadowing in 2016, and another physician shadowing letter dated 2018. Would these letters all be ok to use? Or should I just ask everyone to update all their letter dates to 2019 for when I plan to apply? Thanks.
Ask if they can update

Nov 18, 2018
Let’s just say that someone sent the wrong letter as the committee letter, only realized now, but hasn’t gotten rejected anywhere so they resent the right letter and gave updates to every school. How bad is that?

Nov 18, 2018
I'm a junior applying next year and am starting to think about who I want to ask to write my recommendation letters. My school does a committee letter so all of these letters would go in that. Here are people I would like to ask (I numbered them), along with how well I feel they know me personally. Can I get some feedback on these choices?

Will ask:
1 - PI of lab I've work in for 2 years, also taking his class and doing well. Not much personal interaction with him since it's a big lab. Letter would probably talk about how I am in the lab and in the class.
2 - Biology instructor I took class with and did well in. Now TAing for the class and doing well in another class I'm taking with him. I interact with this person a little more than I do with my PI, so he probably knows me a little more personally.
3 - Humanities instructor who then became my academic advisor. Out of everyone, he probably knows me the best personally since I go to his office every now and then to chat.

More options:
4 - Volunteer coordinator of hospital I've volunteered in for 2 years. Doesn't know me super personally. My guess is the letter would probably talk about my role and dedication to volunteering/interactions with patients.
5 - Volunteer organization I'm part of that teaches health classes to public schools. I don't know who exactly in the organization would be writing the letter, since there is a big hierarchy/chain of command. Most likely it's written under the name of who ever is in charge, with input from the people who know me. Have to be careful with this one though because I think one of the higher up people doesn't like me a lot. I would need to make sure to ask that they write me a strong letter.
6 - Another science professor. I'm taking his class next semester and would try to get him to know me well enough to write a letter. I would only do this one if 1 and 2 are not enough.

I imagine that 1 and 2 will talk mostly about my academic qualifications. Is 1 and 2 enough to cover my science letters, or should I try to get 6 in too? I mention 4 and 5 because I feel they could speak more about my non-academic side (communities I've worked in, how I interact with patients and students). I'm shooting for a total of 5 letters.
I think 1&2 should be enough but I don’t really know. 3 seems really good to cover humanities though. 5 honestly sounds a bit scary but I’m sure no one would write you a letter if they would write something bad so checking to see if they would write a strong letter seems like a good idea.

gonnif

Lifetime Donor
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
  1. Non-Student
Let’s just say that someone sent the wrong letter as the committee letter, only realized now, but hasn’t gotten rejected anywhere so they resent the right letter and gave updates to every school. How bad is that?

If I understand correctly, you had an individual LOR under an AMCAS letter ID , named it as the committee letter and assigned to every school. You then took the committee letter loaded under a different AMCAS ID, marked it as committee letter, assigned it to every school and then sent an update that said what? And when did you send the new letter in?

About the Ads

gonnif

Lifetime Donor
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
  1. Non-Student
I'm a junior applying next year and am starting to think about who I want to ask to write my recommendation letters. My school does a committee letter so all of these letters would go in that. Here are people I would like to ask (I numbered them), along with how well I feel they know me personally. Can I get some feedback on these choices?

Will ask:
1 - PI of lab I've work in for 2 years, also taking his class and doing well. Not much personal interaction with him since it's a big lab. Letter would probably talk about how I am in the lab and in the class.
2 - Biology instructor I took class with and did well in. Now TAing for the class and doing well in another class I'm taking with him. I interact with this person a little more than I do with my PI, so he probably knows me a little more personally.
3 - Humanities instructor who then became my academic advisor. Out of everyone, he probably knows me the best personally since I go to his office every now and then to chat.

More options:
4 - Volunteer coordinator of hospital I've volunteered in for 2 years. Doesn't know me super personally. My guess is the letter would probably talk about my role and dedication to volunteering/interactions with patients.
5 - Volunteer organization I'm part of that teaches health classes to public schools. I don't know who exactly in the organization would be writing the letter, since there is a big hierarchy/chain of command. Most likely it's written under the name of who ever is in charge, with input from the people who know me. Have to be careful with this one though because I think one of the higher up people doesn't like me a lot. I would need to make sure to ask that they write me a strong letter.
6 - Another science professor. I'm taking his class next semester and would try to get him to know me well enough to write a letter. I would only do this one if 1 and 2 are not enough.

I imagine that 1 and 2 will talk mostly about my academic qualifications. Is 1 and 2 enough to cover my science letters, or should I try to get 6 in too? I mention 4 and 5 because I feel they could speak more about my non-academic side (communities I've worked in, how I interact with patients and students). I'm shooting for a total of 5 letters.

I think 1&2 should be enough but I don’t really know. 3 seems really good to cover humanities though. 5 honestly sounds a bit scary but I’m sure no one would write you a letter if they would write something bad so checking to see if they would write a strong letter seems like a good idea.

A few thoughts

1) you have to fulfill whatever requirements the premed committee wants. Some schools will only allow letters from their own faculty to be part of the committee letter
2) A committee letter, like individual LOR, is wanted to see primarily as an academic evaluation. Med schools dont really expect premed committees to be judging an applicant with information from outside their own institution
3) the health classes in public schools letter seems minor at best and dangerous at worst. drop it
4) volunteer coordinator at hospital isnt that important either
5) you should have had bio, general chem, organic chem, physics, and labs and you dont have a letter from any of those and have to wait for a new prof?
6) again, find out what your premed committee requires. that is the ONLY thing you have to fulfill with these letters

gonnif

Lifetime Donor
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
  1. Non-Student
Thanks for the feedback. I could ask professors who taught me in those courses, but they probably wouldn't be super strong letters since those classes are like 200+ people from 2 years ago. Plus, I feel it wouldn't be adding anything new that my 1 or 2 don't already talk about (student works hard, does well, etc..). If what you're say is true though (that the LOR is only an academic evaluation), then having more science profs write for me would be a good idea. I was just thinking that having more diverse letters from non academic experiences would show a different side of me. On that note, one of the doctors I shadowed (sort of family friend) seemed to really like me and bought me lunch a few times. Is this an option? I've read a lot that shadowing LORs are usually only recommended for people applying DO.
Lets start here: what letters does your committee require and accept? Find that out first. Shadowing letters are add nothing to an adcom

Mar 10, 2018
DC
Status
  1. Medical Student
Has anyone applied in June and asked professors from the semester right before (that same year's January - April) for a letter? I'm sort of forced into a situation now where I have no one to ask besides a PI and last semester is my last semester. Just not sure if getting to know a professor in 2 or 3 months is enough

gonnif

Lifetime Donor
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
  1. Non-Student
Has anyone applied in June and asked professors from the semester right before (that same year's January - April) for a letter? I'm sort of forced into a situation now where I have no one to ask besides a PI and last semester is my last semester. Just not sure if getting to know a professor in 2 or 3 months is enough
Its common

Jan 10, 2018
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
I have been in a clinical research position (patient-facing) for over 6 months. My physician boss, with whom I spend at least four hours a day and has grown to know me very well, offered to write school-specific letters that I can send as part of an update to the places where I've interviewed and am awaiting decisions, or to the schools where I've been complete but heard nothing from. She gave the physical, signed letters to me to distribute. What is the best way to navigate this situation? Is she required to submit them via the AMCAS letter service? If not, would I violate any rules if I upload scans of the letters as updates on the individual application portals? Could I send them by mail to the individual admissions offices? All of my applications have been complete since the end of August. Any and all advice on how to deal with this will be immensely helpful!

gonnif

Lifetime Donor
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
  1. Non-Student
I have been in a clinical research position (patient-facing) for over 6 months. My physician boss, with whom I spend at least four hours a day and has grown to know me very well, offered to write school-specific letters that I can send as part of an update to the places where I've interviewed and am awaiting decisions, or to the schools where I've been complete but heard nothing from. She gave the physical, signed letters to me to distribute. What is the best way to navigate this situation? Is she required to submit them via the AMCAS letter service? If not, would I violate any rules if I upload scans of the letters as updates on the individual application portals? Could I send them by mail to the individual admissions offices? All of my applications have been complete since the end of August. Any and all advice on how to deal with this will be immensely helpful!

Let me start with the conclusion and then explain it. These letters are useless to you and can prevent you from ever attending medical school

1) updates are what YOU write about your recent activity and are sent directly to a school from YOU ALONE.
2) Schools are REQUIRED by agreement with AMCAS to only accept LOR via the AMCAS letter system. If a school were to accept letters as you described, they would be in violation. Technically they are supposed to report such submissions to AMCAS for investigation.
3) Most schools have deadlines that have passed or soon will, so having LORs submitted now is useless
4) even if a school were to take a new LOR, you are asking that you have your file removed from complete status, opened for new letters, then send back to evaluation then you may be put at the bottom of the review queue losing your place in line. In short, you application would be complete only NOW and no longer complete in August.
5) some adcoms would be very leery of LORs that are school specific unless the writer has a strong connection to the institution

So in short, you write and update, you can mention this doctor and even his contact info. But by no means can you somehow use the informal update concept to directly submit new LORs. Thank your letter writer profusely and then destroy the letters

D

deleted804295

If a professor says they are unsure of writing a letter of recommendation letter until grades are out but to follow up after to ask how good their letter would be should I not ask?

I am a little taken aback since I have so far only asked professors whose personalities I mesh well with... I have also gotten As in these classes so I'm unsure how I feel after a professor whose class I currently have an A in would say that when I thought she knew me well as a person.

Should I go back to the sorting table and ask a different professor who is more willing or wait until after my grade is finalized and they assess whether their letter would be good or not?

Mar 10, 2018
DC
Status
  1. Medical Student
Anyone ask their foreign language prof to be your non-science letter writer? Im guessing its most common because the classes are the smallest ones, but not sure how relevant it is and how I could connect it to medical school..

Im deciding between my language prof who knows me very well but isnt related to medicine, and my public health prof who is more related to medicine but doesnt know me as well :/

gonnif

Lifetime Donor
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
  1. Non-Student
Anyone ask their foreign language prof to be your non-science letter writer? Im guessing its most common because the classes are the smallest ones, but not sure how relevant it is and how I could connect it to medical school..

Im deciding between my language prof who knows me very well but isnt related to medicine, and my public health prof who is more related to medicine but doesnt know me as well :/
Your nonscience and nonscience letter do not need to have anything to with medicine, nor should they. They should be about your academic ability and student skillset. They should be using the AAMC letter writer guide
https://www.aamc.org/download/349990/data/lettersguidelinesbrochure.pdf

Reactions: little_giant
Jan 3, 2018
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
Anyone know how long it takes AMCAS to receive a letter from Interfolio? The letter was sent by Interfolio three days ago but still has not been received by AMCAS. It’s time sensitive, so I don’t know if I should call AMCAS.

D

deleted804295

If one of my professors asks for transcript but I don't want to give them transcript should I ask another person to write my letter or hope they don't mind the bad (still passing) grades I got freshman year?

gonnif

Lifetime Donor
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
  1. Non-Student
If one of my professors asks for transcript but I don't want to give them transcript should I ask another person to write my letter or hope they don't mind the bad (still passing) grades I got freshman year?
Do you really need someone to tell you the answer to that question? Either give them the transcripts or Get a different person

D

deleted804295

Do you really need someone to tell you the answer to that question? Either give them the transcripts or Get a different person
I suppose so. I doubt the professor will write anything bad based on the transcript but it is something that has given me sadness over the past few years. I can't really change my freshman/highschool grades on my college transcript. I can only do better right now- which I have been doing since Freshman year. I just worry that they might see bad Freshman and highschool grades and focus on that.

And it's not easy to get new letter writers especially for non science classes when I am a science major... I would have to take another non science class next semester and gamble with the possibility that I would have a great letter writer. And even then they also might ask for a transcript.

ef2497ef

2+ Year Member
Aug 7, 2017
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
I was originally going to have 2 science professor LOR, 1 non-science, and then 1 LOR from my PI. I'm actually taking a 2-semester bio course taught by my PI this year, so I'm thinking that he could be a very solid option as my 2nd science professor LOR since he would know me the best of any of my other science professors. Would it be okay for him to write me a letter both from the insight of being my science prof and being my PI? I'm just nervous that submitting such a letter would seem almost like a cop-out to med schools like I didn't get to know enough science professors to vouch for me. It would also mean I'd be submitting 3 overall LOR rather than 4 and I'm not sure whether that is problematic or not. I feel like I'm sounding pretty neurotic but any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

D

deleted827260

Will a letter from a graduate student who taught a non-science course herself, not TA, at the university fulfill the non-science prof letter requirement? It's the best one I got. Any other non-science letter will just talk about an A grade and attendance. There was no PhD instructor in the course.

This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads