Official List of Medical School Tidbits

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DemonDeacon

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
To help those out who are applying to med schools, give a tidbit about one in your state. If you've given advice somwhere else, the link would be perfect!

ECU: East Carolina State University (in NC)
Has never accepted a student from out of state. People still apply out of state, they'll never get in. SAVE YOUR MONEY and don't apply if you are not a NC resident.

UNC: University of NC
Pass with Honors, Pass, and Fail are the only three things they use to grade students. Volunteering experience seems like it is a must for this school.

Duke: If you got a 6 on any section of the MCAT, you're file will be pitched through the initial screen.

Members don't see this ad.

UMass: Is required by state law to have a class of 100 Massachusetts residents. Is also required to accept out of state students to get MD/PhD funding. What they do is accept a total of 100 Massachusetts residents in both the MD and MD/PhD tracks. Additionally, they will accept out of state MD/PhD students over and above the 100, but those students are required to pay tuition and living expenses for the MD years (about 25K plus living expenses vs 8K for in-staters). Tuition waivers and stipends only apply during PhD study. I'm not sure what the consequences are if you drop the PhD as an out of stater, but I'm sure they aren't good.

DemonDeacon said:
Duke: If you got a 6 on any section of the MCAT, you're file will be pitched through the initial screen.

I thought Duke didn't screen the AMCAS apps this year?

I'm pretty sure that Duke kept it for the 2003 applicants.