Official: Loyola MAMS '09-'10

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fenthion

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just received my "unofficial acceptance" yesterday (1/16) via email, and since it was my #1 choice I am planning on attending :):

I'm writing to notify you unofficially that you have been admitted to the Master of Arts in Medical Sciences Program at Loyola University Chicago for matriculation in Fall 2009. You will receive official notice from the Graduate School by regular mail.

For those wondering, I sent in my application December 9 and was notified that I was complete December 17th. Dr. P said that they would begin reviewing applications on January 1, so I was surprised to hear back so quickly. I got a 31S on my MCAT and my undergrad GPA was 3.22 from an ivy league school.

Members don't see this ad.

d

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
ha cheezwiz. thanks for dashing my acceptance high with that post. if you wouldn't mind answering some more questions for me, i'd greatly appreciate it.

1. isn't the point of the program to get your GPA as high as possible, thus giving you the best chance possible to get into medical school? i'd rather get a 4.0 in grad school to supplement my 3.2 undergrad and go to medical school, where i'll have to take all the classes again anyway.

2. did you apply/get accepted to any other SMPs? i'm waiting to hear back from gtown, cinci, tufts, BU, and drexel. i just liked the idea of loyola because i live near chicago and they have that ridiculously high rate (90?)of getting kids into medical schools.

3. where do the majority of students live in chicago? would near northside/lincoln park be too far away?

3. most importantly, and what i am struggling with most: how have you (slash other students) approached reapplying to medical schools? did you (other students) start last summer? or will you start when MAMS is over? if you started already, how is it going, and if you will start this summer, what will you (other students) be doing next year?

thanks for your help

s

Last edited:
thanks for taking the time to answer those questions, im sure your candid response will be helpful for a lot of people. i feel like i am in the exact same boat as you: don't want to re-take the MCAT but don't want to have to repply for a 3rd time. nevertheless, i feel like my experiences have changed for the better since my last application and I might have what it takes. what's to lose (besides a lot of time and money)?

Has anyone else heard anything back from Loyola? My app was complete last week so I am just sitting back and waiting to hear something..

Has anyone else heard anything back from Loyola? My app was complete last week so I am just sitting back and waiting to hear something..

Mine was complete on 2/12 so I'm waiting too... anxiously!!

Fenthion--congratulations on the acceptance! That's awesome!

cheezwiz11--I'm sorry you're doing the program during a down year--the professors really do have a big impact on the quality of the program.

I graduated from Loyola's MAMS in 2007, and I had an awesome experience. I can't remember your questions exactly, but:

Rogers Park and Edgewater are both fine places to live--I'd recommend living west of Broadway/Sheridan Rd. It's east of Sheridan in Rogers Park that I felt a little less safe in. Also, I'd try to live within a half mile of the school--I originally lived a little less than a mile on Sheridan--not a safe apartment building (the residents at the retirement home around the corner told me there had been two drug-related shootings in my building in the past year.) Also, a number of people lived in other neighborhoods right off the red line, and just rode in in the mornings--also a great option.

My year, about half the class applied during the program, and half waited the extra year. I would say half of those of us who applied got in that year, more to DO than MD. I would say the major difference between applying immediately and waiting a year is the quality of the schools you'll get interviews from. And as for school quality, my class has students across the country, at such schools as: Tulane, University of Wisconsin, Stritch (Loyola), Rush, University of Illinois, UCLA, OHSU, UNC-Chapel Hill, Drexel, Carver (Iowa), MCW, Rosalind Franklin, Michigan State, Wayne State, Kansas, and Albert Einstein, as well as at many DO schools. I had classmates with other top tier interviews too (e.g. Dartmouth, Rochester), but who chose to go elsewhere (e.g. state school). So, there is a definite range, and the qualifications of students in an SMP are obviously not likely to be on par with those who go straight out of college. But so far, I think all the people I've talked to are extremely happy, and a number of us got into our first choice schools.

As far as SMPs go, I applied to three: Loyola, Toledo (then it was the Medical University of Ohio), and Georgetown. I also applied late, in May. Loyola and MUO accepted me immediately, and Georgetown told me my application was awesome, but the class was already oversubscribed, so they'd let me know if space opened up. Ultimately, prior to any acceptances, I had decided on Loyola if accepted, so I went! Some of the reasons were: it's in Chicago, it's a one year program (not two), no thesis required, and the summer before med school is free (we graduated in early May).

I interviewed for the med school at University of Cincinnati--wonderfully friendly staff, amazing experiences if you're interested in peds. But the applicants I interviewed with that day did not strike me as having very broad interests--maybe that day was just a bit underwhelming, but I'm sure the student body as a whole is probably more impressive. I don't know much about the SMP though. At Drexel, I think it takes two years for the master's degree; one year to do some post-bac work; so I didn't apply to their post-bac program.

I took the latest MCAT, so I was complete late, by the end of October. I ended up with five interviews, five waitlists, and accepted to my absolute #1 first choice, off the waitlist, so I withdrew from everywhere else. Oh, and Fenthion, I had really similar stats to you--3.18 undergrad GPA, 31T & 32S MCATs (my first score was more than three years old; so I had to retake it...boo), started at an ivy, finished at a top-ten small liberal arts school.

Anyhow, best of luck choosing, and if you have any questions, feel free to PM me :)

Last edited:
hey everyone,
just thought i'd join the party on this thread. I submitted my application this morning and my transcript and letters are on their way. woo-hoo!

From what I experienced, there was no "online status check" or anything like that for the applications. Instead, they email you that your application is complete (I got an email about 10 days after I submitted).

About a month after I submitted, I got an email that said that they were still reviewing my application and making decisions, and then a week after that email I got an unofficial decision email. However, this was back in December/January when I doubt there were many applications yet, so I'm sure those times will be extended now that more applications will be coming in.

Members don't see this ad :)
My app was complete first week of Feb and I too want to know if there is a way to check the status of our applications..

Just to give everyone a time line I was complete Jan 30 and received the unofficial acceptance on March 5th. After talking with the program advisor I got the impression they haven't handed out many acceptances yet so there are still plenty of spots and plenty of time,

Good luck to everyone waiting :)

so loyola got my letters last monday, according to my ups tracking, and today i got an email saying they don't have my letters. i called the office and they said they couldn't find it but will search again and let me know. *sigh* if they can't find it and i have to re-send my letters, that'll push my completion date even further back! so not fair, THEY lost my letters. hopefully they're actually not lost and they're just not processed yet. phew, it feels better after venting :)

so loyola got my letters last monday, according to my ups tracking, and today i got an email saying they don't have my letters. i called the office and they said they couldn't find it but will search again and let me know. *sigh* if they can't find it and i have to re-send my letters, that'll push my completion date even further back! so not fair, THEY lost my letters. hopefully they're actually not lost and they're just not processed yet. phew, it feels better after venting :)

breathe. relax. almost guaranteed that they have not been processed yet and are just sitting in a mail room. they'll send you an email when your application is complete.

Thanks. I may have wasted $18 on re-sending the letters by UPS next day but $18 for peace of mind is a decent price. :)

Ditto what Fenthion said. They're probably just not processed yet. And, if they ask you to resend them, you'll resend them. They offer very few acceptances early, since many of their applicants apply in May when it looks like they may not be getting into med school this time around. So, they hold a lot of open slots till late in the game, and you will still be complete by March. In the meantime, hope you're having a good week! :)

Application complete email: Feb 13
"We're strongly inclined to make you an offer" email from Dr. Pickett: Mar 4
Unofficial acceptance email from Dr. Pickett: Mar 5
Official letter in mail from Loyola Graduate School: Mar 9

Still waiting to hear decisions from MD programs, but am pretty sure on going to Loyola if no MD acceptances this year.

can't believe they changed the biochem professor

not surprised about the a&p teacher, but he was very knowledgeable and challenging.

it's really sad that you have new professors for both subjects as those two were definitely some of the hardest courses.

i had to send my rec letters about 4 times for them to finally process it. once through fax, and three times by mail. the last time i sent the mail, i had it overnight-ed with delivery confirmation. i called about a week after and they said my application was complete.
it took me about a whole month after i sent my application before i was complete :mad:.

wow, that's ridiculous. I overnighted my second batch of letters but hopefully i won't have to send more- it's getting expensive!

can't believe they changed the biochem professor

not surprised about the a&p teacher, but he was very knowledgeable and challenging.

it's really sad that you have new professors for both subjects as those two were definitely some of the hardest courses.

are you referring to next year?

Do you think that it's too late for me to apply?? I submitted my application early this week; letter of rec are already there. Transcript is on its way. I'm getting a little bit worried now...

Do you think that it's too late for me to apply?? I submitted my application early this week; letter of rec are already there. Transcript is on its way. I'm getting a little bit worried now...

No worries. I applied in May, and was accepted in about a month or so.

yay! they found/got my letters and now i'm complete! phew, thought i was gonna have to go and hand deliver them or something ;)

thanks! good luck to you too. I think Loyola is my first choice SMP out of the four that i applied to.

Application complete email: Feb 13
"We're strongly inclined to make you an offer" email from Dr. Pickett: Mar 4
Unofficial acceptance email from Dr. Pickett: Mar 5
Official letter in mail from Loyola Graduate School: Mar 9

Still waiting to hear decisions from MD programs, but am pretty sure on going to Loyola if no MD acceptances this year.

congratulations on your acceptance, I really don't understand their way of looking at applications. My application has been complete since January 29th and they have yet to say anything to me about the application. I called them and they said they are in the process of looking at the application. I am wondering if anyone has had the same problem?

congratulations on your acceptance, I really don't understand their way of looking at applications. My application has been complete since January 29th and they have yet to say anything to me about the application. I called them and they said they are in the process of looking at the application. I am wondering if anyone has had the same problem?

I really can't speak for them, but I don't believe they have a system of 'hold' or anything. So they probably screen and put you in piles, accepting the most competitive applicants, and then just tiering the piles until closer to May 15th, when med schools fill their classes, and applicants have a better idea of where they stand, and whether or not they should apply to SMP programs, or keep their seats in them. I don't know if this helps, but either way, waiting stinks. It's like the military, I guess: "Hurry up and wait," right?

I called them up and asked them about my application, apparently one of the reviewers has not returned my file yet... so yea waiting stinks

I just received an unofficial acceptance today. Here are some details about my application so others can gauge how far along their app may be.

Submitted: 2/3
Complete: 2/26
Update email from Loyola saying they are continuing to review my app: 3/19
Decision: 3/26

Guess it looks like it will be a month or so until I hear back....

Hello all - just letting you know that you aren't alone if you're still waiting to hear back!

GPA: 3.2
MCAT: 32S

Applied: 1/15/09
Complete email received: 2/2/09

I called the program on 3/23, and they said that it had gone off to review at the time I got the "complete" email, and from there it was a 2 week to 3 month wait.

Well, I'm nearly at the two month line here, and getting nervous.

I just sent in an update letter, so we'll see if that speeds up the process/gives me good luck.

Hey all. My application to Loyola MAMS was announced complete in Dec '08 and I was accepted in Jan '09 (for entry fall '09). I also applied to the postbac premed programs at Columbia and Rosalind Franklin. I started applying to all three of these programs really early (around the day applications opened) and I was accepted to all three. I am planning on attending Loyola this fall, not because it is the best program (though it may be), but because it is the cheapest and I have been impressed with what I have read while perusing studentdoctor.net and other blog forums. I am not a statistical behemoth, 3.3 and a 32, but I was on the ball and I have alot of EC's.

I will also add that I was accepted to, but recently withdrew my position from a medical school in Ireland and I am on the waitlist at Mayo Med, though I am not kidding myself....

Does anyone around here know that they are attending Loyola this fall and where they are thinking about living? It would be cool, though probably not feasible, to have most of the 2009 class rent apartments in the the same building and turn it into our intellectual stronghold. That would make study groups much more convenient, not to mention a more cohesive cohort, and a more enjoyable year.

I hope this helps those of you who are trying to gauge how competitive you are in this program. I havent posted on Studentdoctor before but I thought this post might provide some clarity

Hey all. My application to Loyola MAMS was announced complete in Dec '08 and I was accepted in Jan '09 (for entry fall '09). I also applied to the postbac premed programs at Columbia and Rosalind Franklin. I started applying to all three of these programs really early (around the day applications opened) and I was accepted to all three. I am planning on attending Loyola this fall, not because it is the best program (though it may be), but because it is the cheapest and I have been impressed with what I have read while perusing studentdoctor.net and other blog forums. I am not a statistical behemoth, 3.3 and a 32, but I was on the ball and I have alot of EC's.

I will also add that I was accepted to, but recently withdrew my position from a medical school in Ireland and I am on the waitlist at Mayo Med, though I am not kidding myself....

Does anyone around here know that they are attending Loyola this fall and where they are thinking about living? It would be cool, though probably not feasible, to have most of the 2009 class rent apartments in the the same building and turn it into our intellectual stronghold. That would make study groups much more convenient, not to mention a more cohesive cohort, and a more enjoyable year.

I hope this helps those of you who are trying to gauge how competitive you are in this program. I havent posted on Studentdoctor before but I thought this post might provide some clarity

This sound like a great idea :thumbup:

I have yet to hear anything from Loyola though. I was complete around the beginning of March so I expect it should take a bit longer to get back to me.

Best of luck to everyone still waiting to hear. I turned down my spot so hopefully one of you will get it :) I have to say the staff for the MAMS program is absolutely amazing. Even though I wasn't set on the program they spent the time to talk it out with me, compare it to some of the other smps I was debating b/w, and even offer me advice on my upcoming interviews for med school (and I wasn't even in the program yet!). Even when I got accepted to med school I feel as though they were as excited as if I had been in their program for a year. Anyways it was obvious they really care about their students and will do absolutely anything in their power to help you out. If you have any questions or concerns about the program don't hesitate to contact them, they are amazing.

Again best of luck to everyone!

Hello all - just letting you know that you aren't alone if you're still waiting to hear back!

GPA: 3.2
MCAT: 32S

Applied: 1/15/09
Complete email received: 2/2/09

I called the program on 3/23, and they said that it had gone off to review at the time I got the "complete" email, and from there it was a 2 week to 3 month wait.

Well, I'm nearly at the two month line here, and getting nervous.

that is always nice to hear, I have been waiting since January 29th. They tell me to call them beginning of each week to find out about a decision... When I call them, they tell me that someone has my application and is yet to return it. So if you are waiting, I feel your pain.

Anyone else heard any kind of reply yet? It's been more of the same news for me, and that's nothing at all.

I got a similar response about my application 'still being held by one of the reviewers'. Though I hear that its not a committee so much as individuals reviewing the apps on their own time, so I can understand how someone could put it off.

Still hope they get back to it quick, though :)

Anyone else heard any kind of reply yet? It's been more of the same news for me, and that's nothing at all.

I got a similar response about my application 'still being held by one of the reviewers'. Though I hear that its not a committee so much as individuals reviewing the apps on their own time, so I can understand how someone could put it off.

Still hope they get back to it quick, though :)

i emailed them sometime last week and they said it might take a while because they want to be very thorough since they don't hold interviews for MAMS. i hope i find out soon though :xf:

Does anyone know when is the last day they will accept people because I have heard that my application has been under review and the person reviewing my application has not turned it in yet. This is the same story that they have told me since January 29th. Thank you in advance.

I just got my unofficial acceptance email! I'll definitely be at Loyola in the fall so I look forward to meeting some of you soon!!

I thought i'd add my stats for those of you who like these kinds of things.

GPA: 3.29
MCAT: 29O

Applied: 2/27/09
Complete: 3/10/09 or so (after they finally received all my stuff that was "missing")
Unofficial acceptance email: 4/29/09

So it took about 7 weeks for the decision after being complete.

Is anything happening with everyone trying to live in the same apartment building??

Last edited:
do they have linkage to their med school or how many students get into med school after completing this program? thanks.

do they have linkage to their med school or how many students get into med school after completing this program? thanks.

Yup. If you apply during/at the end of MAMS, so that you have your Master's Degree & your MAMS gpa on your AMCAS, and if it's still the same as a few years ago, if you have a minimum MCAT of 28 and a minimum MAMS gpa of 3.5 (I think), then Loyola University Chicago Stritch SOM will give you an automatic interview.

I think the number of MAMS grads who ultimately end up in med school is around 90%, which is much better than the 25% or so (I don't know if that number's still accurate, either) average percentage of reapplicants who end up getting in.

Also declined-- good luck to you guys waiting :luck: