Flopotomist

I love the Chicago USPS
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 22, 2005
3,216
16
Status
Resident [Any Field]
OK guys, I'll start this thread so that we can move beyond our pre-allo days... Roll call, who is here?
 

jbrice1639

Cub Fan, Bud Man
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 15, 2005
1,814
6
39
Chicago
Status
Medical Student
i like this :)

good call starting this up...hopefully we'll get more people in here as their interviews roll in!

alright...i'm off for the night. see you all tomorrow :)
 

ekamenet

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 29, 2005
46
0
Status
Loyola 2010 Represent!

Haha, so excited to meet you guys!
 
About the Ads

ExtraAverage

This is new and exciting
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 1, 2005
114
2
Status
Medical Student
Flopotomist said:
OK guys, I'll start this thread so that we can move beyond our pre-allo days... Roll call, who is here?
Aqui.

I will grudgingly accept this thread. It will no doubt spell the end of my 12 page (and counting) five-star baby on the Pre-Allo thread... ;)
 

jbrice1639

Cub Fan, Bud Man
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 15, 2005
1,814
6
39
Chicago
Status
Medical Student
ExtraAverage said:
Aqui.

I will grudgingly accept this thread. It will no doubt spell the end of my 12 page (and counting) five-star baby on the Pre-Allo thread... ;)
no no no...we must be ever vigilant on the pre-allo thread until we have brought everyone over to the happy side!

and let's face it, with over 1500 views yesterday alone, that thread is not going anywhere...

now, however, that we have our own happy little home here in the allo section, i should probably ditch my little droid-sounding screen name, and just be "jason"

back to pre-allo i go...must recruit more loyolans! :D
 

Flopotomist

I love the Chicago USPS
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 22, 2005
3,216
16
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Oh heck no - that pre-allo thread is up until we get all the cool peeps over to this side. I just didn't want to gloat, or rub the good news in peoples' faces on that thread, and figured it would be more appropriate to start planning the move, talking about chicago, getting to make new e-friends over here so we weren't basking in good news amongst the stressed out people waiting for good news. Just trying to be nice to them.

Lets face it - the awesome people are what makes Loyola so awesome, so we have to still provide encouragement on the pre-allo side! Oh, and if Jason started the intros - I'll continue, my name is Derrick.
 

Flopotomist

I love the Chicago USPS
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 22, 2005
3,216
16
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Hey Jason, where did your signature go? I was trying to copy it - but alas, it is gone!
 

jbrice1639

Cub Fan, Bud Man
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 15, 2005
1,814
6
39
Chicago
Status
Medical Student
Flopotomist said:
Hey Jason, where did your signature go? I was trying to copy it - but alas, it is gone!
they changed the way the posting things work with sigs...it only shows up on your first post on a page...scroll up to my first one and it should still be there.
 

jbrice1639

Cub Fan, Bud Man
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 15, 2005
1,814
6
39
Chicago
Status
Medical Student
ekamenet said:
Hey guys, I'm Eric and am also from Chicago.
Hi all...i'm jason. i am a life-long chicagoan...grew up in the burbs about 5 miles from Loyola's campus, and live in the city now, near wrigley field.

It's great that we have a friendly bunch who got in so early...hopefully this group keeps growing over the next few months. it'll be nice to kinda "know" some people already when we finally meet at orientation.
 

Flopotomist

I love the Chicago USPS
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 22, 2005
3,216
16
Status
Resident [Any Field]
jbrice1639 said:
Hi all...i'm jason. i am a life-long chicagoan...grew up in the burbs about 5 miles from Loyola's campus, and live in the city now, near wrigley field.

It's great that we have a friendly bunch who got in so early...hopefully this group keeps growing over the next few months. it'll be nice to kinda "know" some people already when we finally meet at orientation.
I'm Derrick - live in California (am going to freeze my ass off, I don't even own gloves), and look forward to meeting you guys at orientation! They should tell the accepted applicants to sign on here and introduce themselves lol.
 

ekamenet

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 29, 2005
46
0
Status
I also grew up in the burbs of Chicago, but North. Like Jason, I also live by Wrigley (actually next to DePaul University).

Derrick, you're in for a shock. When it gets cold here, it gets parts of you cold you never knew you had. Luckily you'll first come here during the summer (which by the way is so fun in Chicago!), but here it can be all 4 seasons within a weeks time. Anyway, are you planning on coming here to visit before school actually starts?
 

PluckyDuk8

Pluck of all Plucks
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 11, 2002
376
0
39
Chicago
Visit site
Status
Hey guys...welcome to Stritch. I am one of the Stritch M3's that pops out of lurkerdom once in a while. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.
 
About the Ads

titoincali

SDN Angel
10+ Year Member
Jun 3, 2004
691
0
SW
Status
Attending Physician
Hey guys! i'm Christina and I live in the Bay Area. I'm not sure if I'm ready to commit to Loyola (or any school for the matter) but it's definitely a top contender. Huge cubs fan, so if I move to Chicago the first thing I'm doing is going to a baseball game!
 

jbrice1639

Cub Fan, Bud Man
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 15, 2005
1,814
6
39
Chicago
Status
Medical Student
titoincali said:
Hey guys! i'm Christina and I live in the Bay Area. I'm not sure if I'm ready to commit to Loyola (or any school for the matter) but it's definitely a top contender. Huge cubs fan, so if I move to Chicago the first thing I'm doing is going to a baseball game!
i live about four blocks from the field, so if you come i'll have to have a class of 2010 pregame here...assuming my wife lets me of course :D
 

Flopotomist

I love the Chicago USPS
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 22, 2005
3,216
16
Status
Resident [Any Field]
jbrice1639 said:
i live about four blocks from the field, so if you come i'll have to have a class of 2010 pregame here...assuming my wife lets me of course :D
Somebody will have to explain baseball to me - sounds like a big thing to do in Chicago - and I just don't get it (I mean, I get baseball, but I don't get the leagues, and who is who and all that.)
 

jbrice1639

Cub Fan, Bud Man
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 15, 2005
1,814
6
39
Chicago
Status
Medical Student
Flopotomist said:
Somebody will have to explain baseball to me - sounds like a big thing to do in Chicago - and I just don't get it (I mean, I get baseball, but I don't get the leagues, and who is who and all that.)
baseball is the distraction that keeps me sane and i've been a cubs fan since i was born, so i'll definitely be up for that :)
 

jbrice1639

Cub Fan, Bud Man
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 15, 2005
1,814
6
39
Chicago
Status
Medical Student
today is the last day i'm at work this week, so i just wanted to say hi and happy thanksgiving to all of you. have a great holiday! :D
 

Flopotomist

I love the Chicago USPS
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 22, 2005
3,216
16
Status
Resident [Any Field]
OK.. Oklahoma has 5 stars, and we have none - come on people, Loyola needs some stars! Rate the post!
 

jbrice1639

Cub Fan, Bud Man
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 15, 2005
1,814
6
39
Chicago
Status
Medical Student
Flopotomist said:
OK.. Oklahoma has 5 stars, and we have none - come on people, Loyola needs some stars! Rate the post!
1 little 2 little 3 little stars here, 4 little 5 little stars here on this thread.
 

trishaaa

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 16, 2005
279
0
39
Status
Hello! It took me a while to find this thread. I didn't really get into this whole SDN thing until I found you wonderful future Loyolans!

I'm Trisha, but you can call me Trishaaa. I've lived in Boston for the past 7 years. I'm a big Orioles and Red Sox fan. Sorry Cubbies, I can't add another team to the mix.

I'm pretty sure that I'm going to Loyola, but I still have 2 interviews left. I put in my resignation from work as soon as I got the acceptance letter. What a great feeling!

I'll see you all on the pre-allo page...

P.S.- I'm putting in my 5-star rating now
 

titoincali

SDN Angel
10+ Year Member
Jun 3, 2004
691
0
SW
Status
Attending Physician
trishaaa said:
Hello! It took me a while to find this thread. I didn't really get into this whole SDN thing until I found you wonderful future Loyolans!

I'm Trisha, but you can call me Trishaaa. I've lived in Boston for the past 7 years. I'm a big Orioles and Red Sox fan. Sorry Cubbies, I can't add another team to the mix.

I'm pretty sure that I'm going to Loyola, but I still have 2 interviews left. I put in my resignation from work as soon as I got the acceptance letter. What a great feeling!

I'll see you all on the pre-allo page...

P.S.- I'm putting in my 5-star rating now
I'm so jealous that you are already resigning! I'm probably not quitting work until early June. While I know it's not too far away it seems like it will never come! In fact, I've taken on a second job to earn more money. :eek: But I want to come to med schools with no bills but my school and car loans so I gotta work!

I'm heading down to Santa Barbara to spend a few days on the beach with some family and friends. Like Jason, I won't be writing much either. Hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving!
 

trishaaa

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 16, 2005
279
0
39
Status
titoincali said:
I'm so jealous that you are already resigning! I'm probably not quitting work until early June. While I know it's not too far away it seems like it will never come! In fact, I've taken on a second job to earn more money. :eek: But I want to come to med schools with no bills but my school and car loans so I gotta work!

I'm heading down to Santa Barbara to spend a few days on the beach with some family and friends. Like Jason, I won't be writing much either. Hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving!

I'm so jealous that you're at the beach!

I'm actually keeping my part-time job at the hospital, but I was never going to make it at my full-time one until june...I only have 4 full days left, and that seems like too much!!! I wish I could just hang out and travel for the next 9 months, but I have lots of debt and bills to take care of. I've picked up a few nannying and babysitting gigs. They pay better than my old research job, and I can hang out at the park and do lots of finger painting! I think it'll be a pretty fun...which is just what I need before school starts :)
 
About the Ads

Flopotomist

I love the Chicago USPS
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 22, 2005
3,216
16
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Wow - I just typed Stritch SOM into google, and this thread was the FIRST hit!! Came up before the actual school's website!
 

ekamenet

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 29, 2005
46
0
Status
So, after you guys sent in the letter holding your acceptance, have you received anything from Loyola? I haven't and just wanted to make sure this was normal. I did call to make sure they received it, which they did, but I figured I would get more info from them now that I am a potential matriculant. Thanks.
 

Flopotomist

I love the Chicago USPS
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 22, 2005
3,216
16
Status
Resident [Any Field]
ekamenet said:
So, after you guys sent in the letter holding your acceptance, have you received anything from Loyola? I haven't and just wanted to make sure this was normal. I did call to make sure they received it, which they did, but I figured I would get more info from them now that I am a potential matriculant. Thanks.
If memory serves correctly, Dean Norstrem said to expect a packet with financial aid info etc. in January.. is that what others heard as well?
 

trishaaa

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 16, 2005
279
0
39
Status
Flopotomist said:
If memory serves correctly, Dean Norstrem said to expect a packet with financial aid info etc. in January.. is that what others heard as well?

Correctamundo.
 

jbrice1639

Cub Fan, Bud Man
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 15, 2005
1,814
6
39
Chicago
Status
Medical Student
ekamenet said:
So, after you guys sent in the letter holding your acceptance, have you received anything from Loyola? I haven't and just wanted to make sure this was normal. I did call to make sure they received it, which they did, but I figured I would get more info from them now that I am a potential matriculant. Thanks.
yeah, i actually had the day off after i got my letter, so i dropped it off in person so i know they have it, and they said that we wouldn't hear anything from them til financial aid stuff came out.
 

ExtraAverage

This is new and exciting
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 1, 2005
114
2
Status
Medical Student
jbrice1639 said:
yeah, i actually had the day off after i got my letter, so i dropped it off in person so i know they have it, and they said that we wouldn't hear anything from them til financial aid stuff came out.
Yeah, I actually did the same thing. Except, when I was there they told me that if I already know I am going to Loyola (which I do) then I could have all of my official transcripts sent in (directly from schools, not from AMCAS). This is something they won't require until this summer, but said if I wanted to get it out of the way now I could. So, I guess if you guys and gals want to be ExtraAnal like me, go for it...
 

jbrice1639

Cub Fan, Bud Man
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 15, 2005
1,814
6
39
Chicago
Status
Medical Student
ExtraAverage said:
Yeah, I actually did the same thing. Except, when I was there they told me that if I already know I am going to Loyola (which I do) then I could have all of my official transcripts sent in (directly from schools, not from AMCAS). This is something they won't require until this summer, but said if I wanted to get it out of the way now I could. So, I guess if you guys and gals want to be ExtraAnal like me, go for it...
i have my last final on the 12th...so i guess i know what i'll be doing once that last grade posts. :)
 

jbrice1639

Cub Fan, Bud Man
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 15, 2005
1,814
6
39
Chicago
Status
Medical Student
SpeedRacer said:
'nuff said :clap:
congrats and welcome! :D

our poor little thread is dropping down too far on this page...we gotta keep it up at the top...
 

SF_Hopeful_MD

Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 24, 2004
33
0
San Francisco
www.mdapplicants.com
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Hello! I'm 97% sure I'll be attending Loyola in July 2006. Can't wait to meet everybody! I have some other acceptances but really loved Loyola and it's still at the top of my list. It's early though so we'll see. I'm from San Francisco but would welcome a move to Chicago. Definitely ready for a change and I've heard nothing but great things about Chicago (except the weather of course) but I can deal since I grew up in NE. Talk to you soon :)
 
About the Ads

ExtraAverage

This is new and exciting
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 1, 2005
114
2
Status
Medical Student
LaurieB said:
If you haven't already stumbled across it, you should check out the Loyola Students Advising Students website. Has some good info for incoming M1s (see 1st year FAQ).

Students Advising Students:
http://www.meddean.luc.edu/lumen/meded/students/menu_f.htm

Cool. Thanks Laurie, that was very helpful. You're right, all of us future M1's should check out the "1st year FAQ"!
 

SpeedRacer

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 2, 2005
887
1
Status
can anyone tell me a list of hospitals affiliated with loyola? like, what if 3rd or 4th year decides they want a really intense trauma surgery elective/rotation, or critical care stuff, etc...do you stay in maywood? or even like a more urban experience. are the locations pretty much set as to where you go? are they all at loyola?

i obviously have no idea how the later years work...
 

jbrice1639

Cub Fan, Bud Man
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 15, 2005
1,814
6
39
Chicago
Status
Medical Student
SpeedRacer said:
can anyone tell me a list of hospitals affiliated with loyola? like, what if 3rd or 4th year decides they want a really intense trauma surgery elective/rotation, or critical care stuff, etc...do you stay in maywood? or even like a more urban experience. are the locations pretty much set as to where you go? are they all at loyola?

i obviously have no idea how the later years work...
not sure if you're from chicago or not, but actually, Loyola is one of the best trauma centers in the Chicago area. pretty much any trauma from the suburbs ends up there. additionally, all of the chicago schools (so i've heard) can do some rotations at Cook County, which is obviously loaded with significant trauma cases. I'm not sure what other teaching hospitals are near Loyola, but there are certainly a huge number in chicago that i would assume we could apply for away rotations at. that said, the hospitals at Loyola are phenomenal and definitely some of the best in the chicago area, especially the cardinal bernadin cancer center and the emergency department.
 

ExtraAverage

This is new and exciting
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 1, 2005
114
2
Status
Medical Student
SpeedRacer said:
can anyone tell me a list of hospitals affiliated with loyola? like, what if 3rd or 4th year decides they want a really intense trauma surgery elective/rotation, or critical care stuff, etc...do you stay in maywood? or even like a more urban experience. are the locations pretty much set as to where you go? are they all at loyola?

i obviously have no idea how the later years work...
Some good questions.
According to Loyola's website, the 3rd and 4th years are spent at "Loyola University Hospital, the adjoining Hines Veteran’s Affairs Hospital, and several outstanding community hospitals in the metropolitan Chicago area."

I'm not quite sure what "several outstanding community hospitals means" as I am not versed in what, if anything, defines a "community hospital," (beyond the obvious.) Any ideas?
 

SpeedRacer

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 2, 2005
887
1
Status
i don't know, but i'm also looking for the 2005 match list, which i know is in that brochure they sent, but i lost it.

i also asked in the rush v. loyola thread so we'll see if anyone has some answers.
 

ambulancedriver

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 28, 2003
129
0
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
I never formally introduced myself, so here goes:

I'm also in the chicago area (far north side) and hope to be commuting (at least initially) to maywood. hmm..what else........I got nothing for right now.

just curious, how many of you guys are sure of Loyola for next year (who's confirmed they're going to stritch)

good choice btw :thumbup: (perhaps a bit biased seeing as how we are in this thread) . look forward to meeting you all at orientation (only +/- 8 months to go :eek: )
 

TruTrooper

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 7, 2005
220
1
The Little Trooper's Room
Status
ExtraAverage said:
Some good questions.
According to Loyola's website, the 3rd and 4th years are spent at "Loyola University Hospital, the adjoining Hines Veteran’s Affairs Hospital, and several outstanding community hospitals in the metropolitan Chicago area."

I'm not quite sure what "several outstanding community hospitals means" as I am not versed in what, if anything, defines a "community hospital," (beyond the obvious.) Any ideas?
Community hospitals serve the community. :laugh:
 

ExtraAverage

This is new and exciting
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 1, 2005
114
2
Status
Medical Student
TruTrooper said:
Community hospitals serve the community. :laugh:
Read the post a little closer you silly little person.
i.e. see "(beyond the obvious)"

Morons make me laugh.
:laugh: :smuggrin:
 

jbrice1639

Cub Fan, Bud Man
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 15, 2005
1,814
6
39
Chicago
Status
Medical Student
umairfoo said:
just curious, how many of you guys are sure of Loyola for next year (who's confirmed they're going to stritch)
i'm definitely in. aside from completely loving the school, i don't want to leave chicago. at this point nw turned me down, pritzker waitlisted me (although i don't have any real desire to go there, certainly not over loyola), and i haven't heard from rush, but don't see that drawing me away either. my only other local acceptance was uic, and i certainly would choose loyola over uic any day...so...Loyola it is :cool:
 

trishaaa

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 16, 2005
279
0
39
Status
umairfoo said:
just curious, how many of you guys are sure of Loyola for next year (who's confirmed they're going to stritch)
QUOTE]

Not sure about Loyola yet. I have been accepted to Jefferson as well, which I also really liked. I'll probably start a Loyola vs. Jefferson thread soon to get some advice. Or you can give me some advice here...
 

LaurieB

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 2, 2003
651
2
Chicago
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Chicago Magazine publishes a list of top doctors every year and the following Loyola physicians were recognized:

Cardiac Electrophysiology
David J. Wilber, MD

Cardiovascular Disease
Alain Heroux, MD
John F. Moran, MD

Endocrinology, Diabetes & Metabolism
Mary Ann Emanuele, MD

Gastroenterology
Michael Klamut, MD

Geriatric Medicine
Myles Sheehan, MD, SJ

Gynecologic Oncology
Ronald Potkul, MD
Donna Smith, MD

Hand Surgery
Michael S. Bednar, MD
Terry Light, MD

Hematology
Ellen Gaynor, MD
John Godwin, MD
Sucha Nand, MD
Patrick Stiff, MD

Infectious Disease
J. Paul OKeefe, MD

Maternal & Fetal Medicine
John Gianopoulos, MD

Medical Oncology
Kathy Albain, MD

Neonatal-Perinatal Medicine
Jonathan Muraskas, MD

Neurological Surgery
Thomas Origitano, MD, PhD

Obstetrics & Gynecology
Erik Muraskas, MD

Orthopaedic Surgery
Michael Pinzur, MD

Otolaryngology
John P. Leonetti, MD
Guy Petruzzelli, MD, PhD
James Stankiewicz, MD

Pediatric Gastroenterology
James Berman, MD

Pediatric Hematology & Oncology
Ricarchito Manera, MD

Psychiatry
Domeena Renshaw, MD

Pulmonary Disease
Patrick J. Fahey, MD
Martin Tobin, MD

Radiation Oncology
Bahman Emami, MD

Reproductive Endocrinology
Michael J. Zinaman, MD

Rheumatology
Elaine Adams, MD

Surgery
Gerard Aranha, MD
John Brems, MD
Richard Gamelli, MD

Thoracic Surgery
Mamdouh Bakhos, MD

Urology
Robert C. Flanigan, MD

Vascular Surgery
Howard Greisler, MD


Thought you might be interested. You'll certainly end up learning from quite a few of these folks.

Laurie

PS Flop and everyone else, as the time gets closer, I'll let you know if I hear of any decent apartments for rent, including the apartment below me (when I know for sure that they are moving).
 

SpeedRacer

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 2, 2005
887
1
Status
is anyone pumped about the SWEET resort known as the center for health and fitness?!!?

is it bad that the fitness center is what is making me go to loyola? i mean really, health is a factor in med school...right? wanna be healthy...right?

holy crap that thing is ridiculous! come get me before class starts, i'll be chilin in the sauna :cool: (with sunglasses on)
 

Flopotomist

I love the Chicago USPS
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 22, 2005
3,216
16
Status
Resident [Any Field]
SpeedRacer said:
is anyone pumped about the SWEET resort known as the center for health and fitness?!!?

is it bad that the fitness center is what is making me go to loyola? i mean really, health is a factor in med school...right? wanna be healthy...right?

holy crap that thing is ridiculous! come get me before class starts, i'll be chilin in the sauna :cool: (with sunglasses on)
I am totally sold on this health center, and am looking forward to it!! I mean, what better way to deal with seasonal mood problems than sitting in a nice tanning bed! Getting your eyebrows waxed, and then chilling out in the sauna! I think we should start a tradition of getting into the sauna after tests.. like as many of us as we can cram in... what fun!
 

Flopotomist

I love the Chicago USPS
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 22, 2005
3,216
16
Status
Resident [Any Field]
so on the "prospective" students section of the Loyola website, there is a link for "incoming students web forum" but it is password protected... anybody know what is behind that magic curtain, and how we get a password? (yeah, duplicate of what I posted in the pre-allo forum, but figured Laurie might not read that thread).
 

LaurieB

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 2, 2003
651
2
Chicago
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Flopotomist said:
so on the "prospective" students section of the Loyola website, there is a link for "incoming students web forum" but it is password protected... anybody know what is behind that magic curtain, and how we get a password? (yeah, duplicate of what I posted in the pre-allo forum, but figured Laurie might not read that thread).

I can't remember what our password was. I think we got access to it in April maybe, but I'm sure they would be open to putting it online sooner if they thought there was interest. Call Rose or Matt and see what they say. I'm sure they wouldn't mind a break from the "what is the status of my app" calls.

Hope everyone is having a nice holiday break (or at least not working too much)!

Happy New Year in advance!!!!
Laurie
 
About the Ads