OFFICIAL Loyola Stritch SOM class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
brats... they should let you skip to '08 next year so that you can give '09 some advice... you're just so good at it and I have some questions about rotations! Got any stock picks? Maybe dating advice? If a tree fell in the woods and nobody was around to hear it... :laugh:

but yeah... seriously with the dating advice. :oops:

m

Members don't see this ad.

stock picks: aerospace
dating advice: you should dress like brittney spears more often...i'm pretty sure the ladies like it when you do that.
and no, if a tree fell on a mime in the forest, nobody would mind.

Hi guys!

Just a quick note on computers. Most everything is accessible via the internet so you can pretty much use whatever computer you like. Also, there are tons of computers at school to use. I have only brought my laptop to school 2 times in the 2 years I've been at Stritch and both times it was pretty uneccessary. I use my computer to do school things from home all the time though.

Lot's of folks have started to bring laptops to class this year, but like brats said, it's mostly to check email during lecture. A few people take notes on their computers, but most people write their notes in the margins of the lecture handouts.

Hope this helps!
Laurie

PS I have a Compaq Presario, but if I were to buy a computer today, I would get a Mac Powerbook.

Members don't see this ad :)
opstandzon said:
Do you know any physicians? If they didn't go to one of these schools, they probably have friends and/or colleages that did. I was able to have a face-to-face with an MD who worked at Loyola and GWU (my other choice). Just talking with her helped me to make my decision. Although, my decision was already made, I just had to make peace with it. You will figure it out! Good luck!

Oh, yeah, I don't think I ever mentioned it: I picked Loyola!!! I'm very excited! My soon to be husband and I will be moving in to a place in early July. He has a job interview next week which we're hoping will pan out.

I'm an east coast girl, so none of the docs that I work with at the hospitals here know anyone who went to Loyola. When I say Loyola, they say, "Oh, they have a med school in Baltimore?" I've been talking with Dr. Muraskas at Loyola, though, and I think he is great.

On the other hand, two of the internists I work with went to Jefferson and enjoyed it a lot. They went there back in the day when things were a little different, but they are wonderful doctors nevertheless and I really admire them.

That's great that you've made your decision and your husband has a job prospect. I hope he gets it!

I did spend this morning on campus and definitely enjoyed it. The students were as friendly today as they were on interview day. The only thing that left me with a bad feeling was the ridiculously long commute from downtown on the bus and train. I think if Loyola was downtown my decision would be made.

Back to staring at my pro and con list. This is miserable...

brats800 said:
stock picks: aerospace
dating advice: you should dress like brittney spears more often...i'm pretty sure the ladies like it when you do that.
and no, if a tree fell on a mime in the forest, nobody would mind.
See... and I thought that was Brittney's last appearance. Nothing like cross-dressing West Virginians to attract indecisive prospective students!

dopaminophile said:
See... and I thought that was Brittney's last appearance. Nothing like cross-dressing West Virginians to attract indecisive prospective students!

we expect many more repeat performances....next year's first years need to be blessed with that eyesore. oh, and just so your costume is complete, she's pregnant again.

Here is an AWESOME house 2 minutes from Loyola's medical campus that I am posting for my former landlord.

2549 S. 2nd Avenue. North Riverside, IL 60546

This is arguably the best location for Loyola students--just minutes from campus and in a quiet neighborhood.

The rent is $450 each / $900 total + utilities.

This is a two-bedroom half of a duplex, separated from the owner by a sunroom/breezeway. There is a living room, kitchen, finished basement with bar, washer, dryer and plenty of storage. The medical students that used to live here had parties all the time, but we have just used the basement for storage. They are going to put in new carpet in the living room and re-paint before July 2006.

There is a one-car garage and a small backyard that is just large enough to barbeque. There is a nature trail/ running path that extends over 8 miles that is just yards away.

The owners are retired from working at Loyola are very friendly and are great neighbors. They also love medical students.

Since this is half of a duplex, it is quiet and when we do make noise, no one cares. The best of both worlds!

Call Ray at (708) 447-6293 if you are interested.

Best of luck!!

Here is a house for rent in North Riverside that I am posting for my landlord. This house has been perfect for me and my roommates (we are all M1s). We are only moving out because two of us are getting married...

But anyway, check it out!

House for Rent
North Riverside - 3 Minutes to Campus!
3 Bedroom House - $1500 per month
Finished Basement
Dishwasher, free laundry, Central Air conditioning
2 car garage and off street parking

See the house at:
http://home.comcast.net/~shenke123/2247.html

Call Amy: 708-848-3931 or 847-442-6704

As of today I am officially going to Loyola!! I was really torn between two schools but I am positive about my decision and am really looking forward to meeting everyone! :D

flippa7 said:
As of today I am officially going to Loyola!! I was really torn between two schools but I am positive about my decision and am really looking forward to meeting everyone! :D

:D yea! go flippa!
well, it's finally may 15 - hopefully that waitlist will start to move! and, maybe i will also be joining the ranks of happy loyola folks! although, it does not seem like to many are withdrawing this year...who knows, maybe all those that are going to just don't post on SDN ;)

:luck: to us alternate list folks!

TimmyTheWonderD said:
:D yea! go flippa!
well, it's finally may 15 - hopefully that waitlist will start to move! and, maybe i will also be joining the ranks of happy loyola folks! although, it does not seem like to many are withdrawing this year...who knows, maybe all those that are going to just don't post on SDN ;)

:luck: to us alternate list folks!
Good Luck Timmy!!

yeah good luck to everyone. and for those already accepted, get excited! we had a meeting today to plan your orientation....looks fun. :) i'll be there ;)

It's like we're all med students who don't know each other waiting to converge on Loyola August 24th and become this team of superdoctors. I'm reminded of that scene in those movies where they show a montage of all the characters and their backgrounds all uniting to form this team of misfits a la dirty dozen. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
clowden said:
It's like we're all med students who don't know each other waiting to converge on Loyola August 24th and become this team of superdoctors. I'm reminded of that scene in those movies where they show a montage of all the characters and their backgrounds all uniting to form this team of misfits a la dirty dozen. :laugh:

i hope you don't show up on AUGUST 24th....you'll be a month late. ;)

Ha, an honest typo. Subconsciously I want another month of summer.

I'm getting SO excited about moving to Chicago and starting school! I just completed some exit paperword for quitting my job at UCSF, so it's starting to really sink in.

Can't wait to meet you all in late July!

I am getting really excited - yet totally freaked out at the same time. Moving cross country (to someplace COLD no less), quitting the job that I have had for four years, and trying to keep up with you amazingly smart people is a bit freak-out inducing.

Flopotomist said:
I am getting really excited - yet totally freaked out at the same time. Moving cross country (to someplace COLD no less), quitting the job that I have had for four years, and trying to keep up with you amazingly smart people is a bit freak-out inducing.

i was just in san diego about 10 days ago while the cubs were out there...and it was actually colder there than in chicago...that said, it's 55 and raining today...so, uh, yeah...nevermind. i have nothing to add.

anyways, i'm also getting really excited to finally meet all of you. can't comment on the moving thing since i'm from here...but definitely excited about new people and starting school (and yes, i'll be the first to complain about all the work immediately after being excited to start...just kidding...kinda...)

only 6 more weeks til i'm done with my job and my volunteer position too... :cool:

I am very freaked out by the prospect of winter. In California, snow is something most people just visit, not live in. I think that the first snow will be awesome, but I think that the months of cold, dreary weather will be depressing. We shall see how I handle it. I recently bought a pair of leg warmer socks (basically socks that extend up to the thigh) and will be knitting up a fabulous pair of winter hose soon. I shopped tons of clearance sales last winter, but you just can't find good cold weather clothes in California (unless they're for skiing/snowboarding). I think that I have years of cold weather dress code to learn...

opstandzon said:
I am very freaked out by the prospect of winter. In California, snow is something most people just visit, not live in. I think that the first snow will be awesome, but I think that the months of cold, dreary weather will be depressing. We shall see how I handle it. I recently bought a pair of leg warmer socks (basically socks that extend up to the thigh) and will be knitting up a fabulous pair of winter hose soon. I shopped tons of clearance sales last winter, but you just can't find good cold weather clothes in California (unless they're for skiing/snowboarding). I think that I have years of cold weather dress code to learn...
I think all of us CA kids are freaked out by the cold HOWEVER, it seems that people still love Chicago in spite of the weather, and they just get used to it. We will have to have a CA support group where jbrice takes us all shopping for jackets. We can have anti-depression hot-cocoa nights at the apartment of whomever has a fireplace. It will be fun.

For those that didn't see it in the other thread - I am trying to organize a BBQ for those of us in the bay area of CA to hang out and meet prior to the big move. Anybody interested PM me and lets have some fun in this sun!

opstandzon said:

keep in mind that, despite the fact that there's always 2 feet of snow on the ground on ER, most winters in chicago we only get one, maybe two, big snows. (a side note, once you're here, you'll want it to snow because that means it's probably in the 30s instead of in the 10s...but that's another story)

i've lived in chicago my whole life and don't own a big down coat. all winter i get by in a wool jacket...lightly quilted on the inside, but nothing super heavy. the key to staying warm in chicago is keeping the wind out. you don't need anything super heavy, just something relatively airtight to block out the wind...some decent gloves and a something to cover your ears.

don't get me wrong, i'm sure it's gonna be a bit of culture shock to the californians, but chicago isn't minneapolis either. our winters have been pretty mild the last few years...not too much snow and pretty livable temperatures once you get over the initial shock. i would advise at least experiencing the weather a little before investing in an expensive mountain climbing parka or something. plus, you'll have plenty of time to shop around here for winter clothes after school starts before the temps start dropping.

jbrice1639 said:
keep in mind that, despite the fact that there's always 2 feet of snow on the ground on ER, most winters in chicago we only get one, maybe two, big snows. (a side note, once you're here, you'll want it to snow because that means it's probably in the 30s instead of in the 10s...but that's another story)

i've lived in chicago my whole life and don't own a big down coat. all winter i get by in a wool jacket...lightly quilted on the inside, but nothing super heavy. the key to staying warm in chicago is keeping the wind out. you don't need anything super heavy, just something relatively airtight to block out the wind...some decent gloves and a something to cover your ears.

don't get me wrong, i'm sure it's gonna be a bit of culture shock to the californians, but chicago isn't minneapolis either. our winters have been pretty mild the last few years...not too much snow and pretty livable temperatures once you get over the initial shock. i would advise at least experiencing the weather a little before investing in an expensive mountain climbing parka or something. plus, you'll have plenty of time to shop around here for winter clothes after school starts before the temps start dropping.

I break out the scarf and gloves on the rare nights when it dips down to 40 here. I also freeze and whine like a baby when it gets that cold - I have no clue what 10 degrees feels like in comparison. I fully plan on looking like the michelin tire man when winter in Chicago strikes.

Flopotomist said:
I break out the scarf and gloves on the rare nights when it dips down to 40 here. I also freeze and whine like a baby when it gets that cold - I have no clue what 10 degrees feels like in comparison. I fully plan on looking like the michelin tire man when winter in Chicago strikes.

good news for ya flop, everything below about 30 feels about the same. :) heat always seems to be able to feel hotter but cold, once you get below freezing, is just cold.

and, at least most things are connected at loyola, so it seems like outside time can be minimized.

jbrice1639 said:
good news for ya flop, everything below about 30 feels about the same. :) heat always seems to be able to feel hotter but cold, once you get below freezing, is just cold.

and, at least most things are connected at loyola, so it seems like outside time can be minimized.
I hope I can find the secret underground tunnels that are rumored to exist at Loyola - then I won't have to go outdoors. Hmm.. I wonder if my ancient little California Honda will survive.

Hey guys,

Sorry to invade your thread! I'm trying to determine interest in having a SDN Chicagoland meetup this fall! If you think you would want to attend a fun night out on the town with your fellow SDNers early in the semester, PM me and let me know!

Thanks,

Molly (Pritkzer 2010)

(P.S. - I know this is ridiculously early, but planning is my way of coping with the unknown!)

Timmy has but one thing to say right now - :scared:
Do I win the nerves of steel prize if I have to wait until July 14th for Loyola to call me?

Hey Guys,

I just wanted to welcome all of the incoming students to Stritch! I'm just finishing up my 1st year (2 finals to go) and I love it here, any questions feel free to ask. Looking forward to orientation week too, despite all of the info you all will have to get during the day, there will be a lot of fun every night provided by the 2nd years as well!

Flopotomist said:

I'm from Michigan myself and am no stranger to the ridiculous cold. Luckily last winter was pretty mild and only was bad for a couple months or so. I've gotten through the last couple winters with a nice patagonia fleece and a hoodie underneath. Flop, you're not thinking about the good things during winter (snowball fights, snowmen, snow forts, the feeling of your car finally warming up and the heat working, sledding, etc.) By the time you get bored of those things spring is right around the corner. You'll do just fine.

PS The yellow snow is NOT lemon flavored no matter what anyone tells you.

Hey everyone. Getting excited? I really like the idea of a Chicago SDN gathering. It would be fun to put faces to these usernames and avatars, plus meet students from other med schools in Chicago.

I also like the idea of a CA BBQ for all of us Loyola students who live in CA who would like to meet before school starts. :)

SF_Hopeful_MD said:
Hey everyone. Getting excited? I really like the idea of a Chicago SDN gathering. It would be fun to put faces to these usernames and avatars, plus meet students from other med schools in Chicago.

I also like the idea of a CA BBQ for all of us Loyola students who live in CA who would like to meet before school starts. :)

I'm in! Anyone else here in the Bay Area besides me, Flop, and SF_Hopeful_MD?

Hi all!
I'm officially moving to this thread. :) I'm looking forward to meeting everybody at orientation or earlier!

Welcome aboard ID!! For the record - how did this thread drop to a 4 star rating? Hmm.. all the other schools have dropped to 4 stars too - did some bitter SDNer go through and rank every school poorly?

I don't know, but it's back to five now. :)

Nice to feel my vote DOES matter for a change. :p

I'd like to welcome Mr. Bahr to SDN. He's a peach. I wuv woo man. And I love Dorothy for anybody else that's keeping track!

Anyhow... glad to see we've got some new folks joining 2010! I also think it'd be a great idea to have a Chicagoland SDN meetup.

later!

-dope-

I was called May 15th and offered an acceptance. Prior to the call I had an acceptance at Penn State and was counting down until I moved out there. In comparing both schools it seems to me that they are similar in the first 2 years (pbl, block schedule, etc) teaching style. One things that Penn State lacks is a clinical skills lab, but how beneficial is that compared to just time spent with a preceptor? What are some unique experiences that are offered in the last 2 years? I guess my question to you guys is how you would compare the two schools. I plan on visiting again tomorrow with my parents and hopefully decide. I have posted something similar to this in the pre thread and understand the bias that might occur since this is a Loyola thread but I was still wondering why you feel so passionate about Loyola. Thank you for any information and advice you can give.

Hey guys - time for me to start thinking of moving to Chicago. I think I want to live in Oak Park or Forest Park. Anybody else looking for a roomie? Non-trad gay guy (not a flamer or anything, but figured full disclosure is fair). Prefer a non-smoking relatively quiet person. I prefer another non-trad, male or female. PM me and lets see if we are a good match!

Dr.UserName said:
I was called May 15th and offered an acceptance. Prior to the call I had an acceptance at Penn State and was counting down until I moved out there. In comparing both schools it seems to me that they are similar in the first 2 years (pbl, block schedule, etc) teaching style. One things that Penn State lacks is a clinical skills lab, but how beneficial is that compared to just time spent with a preceptor? What are some unique experiences that are offered in the last 2 years? I guess my question to you guys is how you would compare the two schools. I plan on visiting again tomorrow with my parents and hopefully decide. I have posted something similar to this in the pre thread and understand the bias that might occur since this is a Loyola thread but I was still wondering why you feel so passionate about Loyola. Thank you for any information and advice you can give.

Loyola is a fine school but so is Penn State. If Penn St. is offering you more moeny I think it would be a no brainer to go to Penn State unless you wanted to wind up in the midwest for some reason.

Whoa! I find this thread halfway down the second page?!? NOT-- bump!

Maybe all of you who have been holding acceptances for some time are not quite as interested in posting anymore, but what am I supposed to do with myself during massively slow work days? ;) Lets keep the conversation rolling!

Flop: you sound like you'd be a great roommate, but I'm looking to buy something with my bf. Have you had any luck finding a nice place to rent?

What's your unbiased :laugh: perpective? I liked a lot about both of the schools, so it's making the decision a little tough. And if I choose Loyola where's a good place to live as a first-year?

Any inside info on the two schools would be much appreciated? And best of luck on your Finals!!

IDforMe said:
Whoa! I find this thread halfway down the second page?!? NOT-- bump!

Maybe all of you who have been holding acceptances for some time are not quite as interested in posting anymore, but what am I supposed to do with myself during massively slow work days? ;) Lets keep the conversation rolling!

Flop: you sound like you'd be a great roommate, but I'm looking to buy something with my bf. Have you had any luck finding a nice place to rent?

Hey, Flop already knows this, but for anyone else who may be interested, I grew up in Oak Park and have lived in Oak Park and Chicago my entire life, so I can offer some assistance on finding housing to rent or buy. I can definitely help out with neighborhoods that are good and not so good. Also, I don't know if this breaches any kind of non-advertising rules on SDN, but my wife is a designer for a real estate agency in Chicago that caters to a younger, hipper crowd, so I can certainly hook anyone up with a good agent if they're looking to buy...especially in the city or Oak Park. I don't get any kind of kick-back on the commission or anything, so I assume that doesn't breach any of the rules. PM me if you have any specific questions about housing or living around here...i'd be happy to help!

Out of curiosity, when are people planning to move into the area? My last day of work is going to be June 29, and I live in Wrigleyville, so if anyone wanted to get together sometime in July before classes start, I could try to set up something depending on when people are gonna be around.

jbrice1639 said:
Hey, Flop already knows this, but for anyone else who may be interested, I grew up in Oak Park and have lived in Oak Park and Chicago my entire life, so I can offer some assistance on finding housing to rent or buy. I can definitely help out with neighborhoods that are good and not so good. Also, I don't know if this breaches any kind of non-advertising rules on SDN, but my wife is a designer for a real estate agency in Chicago that caters to a younger, hipper crowd, so I can certainly hook anyone up with a good agent if they're looking to buy...especially in the city or Oak Park. I don't get any kind of kick-back on the commission or anything, so I assume that doesn't breach any of the rules. PM me if you have any specific questions about housing or living around here...i'd be happy to help!

Out of curiosity, when are people planning to move into the area? My last day of work is going to be June 29, and I live in Wrigleyville, so if anyone wanted to get together sometime in July before classes start, I could try to set up something depending on when people are gonna be around.

My husband and I are moving to Oak Park at the very end of June. We bought a condo on Euclid. Unfortunately, it won't be finished being built for a couple of months. We were supposed to close on June 30 so that I could have a few weeks to unpack and settle in before school, but that's not gonna happen. The developers were nice about it though and are going to put us up for free while they finish building. It sucks though because my husband starts work up there on July 3. Plus, we're closing on our house in Tucson on May 31, so we have to move our stuff up to Phoenix for a month, move from there to Chicago, and then move again when our place is finished. It sounds like Oak Park is a pretty cool place to live though - that the town has a younger feel to it.

mln said:
My husband and I are moving to Oak Park at the very end of June. We bought a condo on Euclid. Unfortunately, it won't be finished being built for a couple of months. We were supposed to close on June 30 so that I could have a few weeks to unpack and settle in before school, but that's not gonna happen. The developers were nice about it though and are going to put us up for free while they finish building. It sucks though because my husband starts work up there on July 3. Plus, we're closing on our house in Tucson on May 31, so we have to move our stuff up to Phoenix for a month, move from there to Chicago, and then move again when our place is finished. It sounds like Oak Park is a pretty cool place to live though - that the town has a younger feel to it.

That sounds like it will not be an easy move (or should I say moves). Is the condo you are buying new construction, or is it a building being rehabbed? My bf and I are trying to find a condo in Oak Park as well, hopefully a vintage one, but new construction would also be preferable to something built in the 50's-70's. Some of the remodeled vintage condos are stunning.

And Jason, if you know of any areas a bit west of Maywood that would still be in a decent neighborhood with prices at or under about $150,000, I'd appreciate your help. My bf works in Naperville, so while I really would prefer to be in Oak Park, we are looking at what's available to the west as well. So far I've found a few places in Lombard or Villa Park that look ok, but I don't know a lot about those areas. Any wisdom you care to impart would be appreciated.

akanene said:
hey guys... so im from cali, but went to ND for undergrad (although have been out of school for 3 years), i just found out that i got a scholarship from loyola (after getting off the waitlist), but im very conflicted bc i got into a cali school and am ready to go back to cali, but i like loyola better if you take out location. does anyone know what type (if any) vacation time we get to go back to cali and visit family? also anyone have access to the match lists? i eventually want to go back to cali, but dont know what the chances to match in california would be coming from loyola.. wow im confused, but in a good way i guess :)

Vacation time will probably be about the same everywhere, but here is the rundown for Loyola:

-1 week off in the fall and 1 week in the spring 1st through 3rd year
-2+ week winter break 1st and 2nd year and 10+ days 3rd and 4th year
-about 2 and a half months the summer after 1st year
-2-5 weeks off the summer after 2nd year depending on when you schedule your boards
-12 weeks discretionary time 4th year (this time gets used up by residency interviews, but you can balance it out to have a fair amount of free time)

You can also do away rotations in Cali if you want and you should do those rotations if you want to end up back in Cali. Not too many people end up on the west coast for residency - it is proably a combination of many folks prefering the midwest and also not enough exposure at the west coast programs. If you have your heart set on getting back to Cali for residency, you will have a better chance if you stay there for med school. However, if you decide to come to Loyola there are plenty of things you can do to keep yourself connected out west so that you have a got shot of getting back there.

Hope this helps.
Laurie

IDforMe said:
That sounds like it will not be an easy move (or should I say moves). Is the condo you are buying new construction, or is it a building being rehabbed? My bf and I are trying to find a condo in Oak Park as well, hopefully a vintage one, but new construction would also be preferable to something built in the 50's-70's. Some of the remodeled vintage condos are stunning.

And Jason, if you know of any areas a bit west of Maywood that would still be in a decent neighborhood with prices at or under about $150,000, I'd appreciate your help. My bf works in Naperville, so while I really would prefer to be in Oak Park, we are looking at what's available to the west as well. So far I've found a few places in Lombard or Villa Park that look ok, but I don't know a lot about those areas. Any wisdom you care to impart would be appreciated.

We made our first move today to Phoenix. I am so exhausted... We have to unpack the moving truck tomorrow, only to repack another one in a few weeks. The condo we're moving into is an old building - they are gutting it and rebuilding the walls, putting in new pipes and electric. It was pretty cool because we got to pick out our floorplan, our hardwood, the cabinets, the granite for the countertops, the crown moldings, and have built in bookshelves and a fireplace put in. I'm really excited for when it's going to be finished. If you are interested in this development, it's called the Majestic. I believe they have a few spaces left with prices starting around $150,000-160. They seem to have a lot of rehabbed older buildings in Oak Park for many different price points. The one major difference in buying these though is that the purchase price is non-negotiable. Also, it takes a long time - we bought in March, and it looks like it may not be ready until September (even though we were supposed to close in June). My husband also is not working in Oak Park. He's being transferred to Niles, but since the El runs through Oak Park and the bus lines appear to be pretty good, we figured we could work it out.

I will look into those, mln. That sounds like a great situation, where you get to pick how the inside is redone. Thanks again!

EDIT:
I just tried to google it, but even narrowing my search, I didn't come up with anything that sounded correct. Would you mind posting a link to their website? The only place I know of that is doing the same kind of thing is called Kildare Commons.... Thank you once again, in advance!