Official "Mac Users who hate having to use Netscape to go on AMCAS" thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ADeadLois

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else a tad peeved that AMCAS doesn't support, I don't know, THE DEFAULT BROWSER FOR MACS?

Members don't see this ad.

I just use Firefox. Like it better anyway.

Add me to the list. How hard is it to make Safari work? Geez.

Members don't see this ad :)
Mozilla Firefox is the best browser. I've used them all (Explorer, Navigator, Safari, Opera, Firefox, etc) and Mozilla really stands out.

Just my thoughts.

JustBreathe said:
I just use Firefox. Like it better anyway.

AMCAS doesn't support Firefox on Macs (at least when I tried to)...otherwise I'd definitely use it.

I love Camino and I use it all the time. I hate even thinking about opening the antiquated IE version 5.5 :D . So if you have Camino, all you need to do is download a plugin called CamiTools which is quite useful, it allows you to tweak a lot of the settings and under "Agent Spoofing" you set the User Agent to IE v. 6.0. Basically what it does is that it fools the site that you're using IE and it works perfectly fine for me.

Did you try using the debug mode on Safari to impersonate Netscape?

They allow you to use only particular browsers because it makes life easier for them. They know it works on Netscape, no point in doing more work to make sure other browsers work if they don't have to. If they allow you to use other browsers then they either have to make sure that it works, provide tech support or receive a barrage of emails about problems encountered.

Annoying, I know. You'll find the same thing when you try to use USMLEWorld (though that's for copyright-protection issues).

I've used internet explorer for my amcas and all my secondaries, and everything has gone smoothly.

tennisguy896 said:
I've used internet explorer for my amcas and all my secondaries, and everything has gone smoothly.

Yes, but I don't want half of the civilized world reading my application by using IE.

I use Firefox. The version I had ddosnt work. The newest version does.

ADeadLois said:
Yes, but I don't want half of the civilized world reading my application by using IE.

:laugh: I know, right?

ADeadLois said:

What do you mean? Sorry if I'm being ignorant, but I haven't had any security issues.

defrunner said:
Mozilla Firefox is the best browser. I've used them all (Explorer, Navigator, Safari, Opera, Firefox, etc) and Mozilla really stands out.

Just my thoughts.

Why does Mozilla stand out so much to you? I really don't understand the Firefox craze. Maybe it's because I'm using IE7 Beta which has all the same features (like tabs and things)...but I've never had a problem with any browser. Don't get me wrong, I'm a software connoisseur and perfectionist...I like multi-featured software that is functional, fast, and not flashy at the cost of performance. With IE being so closely tied to Windows it pops up almost instantly since it's pre-loaded in the OS. Thus, using ANY external browser is a move away from efficiency. If you're just talking about Mac OS, then my question remains the same...why not use Safari- it still does tabbed browsing, RSS, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
tennisguy896 said:
What do you mean? Sorry if I'm being ignorant, but I haven't had any security issues.

I.E. 6 is widely considered the least secure browser ever made. If you're using a Mac, it's not a huge deal. But for PC, there are too many vulnerabilities to count.

ADeadLois said:
I.E. 6 is widely considered the least secure browser ever made. If you're using a Mac, it's not a huge deal. But for PC, there are too many vulnerabilities to count.

Do you mean regarding people stealing our info off our applications if we use IE? Sorry, I really don't know much about computers- I just meant that I haven't had any problems filling out and submitting my applications using IE.

Me too. This is my third time using AMCAS on Netscape. :mad: I like Safari and wish it was supported too.

Count me in!
I refused to download IE just on principle. Yuck. So it's the ghetto N with little shooting stars for me... although the tabs are kinda nice, not gonna lie... :rolleyes:

kypdurron5 said:
Why does Mozilla stand out so much to you? I really don't understand the Firefox craze. Maybe it's because I'm using IE7 Beta which has all the same features (like tabs and things)...but I've never had a problem with any browser. Don't get me wrong, I'm a software connoisseur and perfectionist...I like multi-featured software that is functional, fast, and not flashy at the cost of performance. With IE being so closely tied to Windows it pops up almost instantly since it's pre-loaded in the OS. Thus, using ANY external browser is a move away from efficiency. If you're just talking about Mac OS, then my question remains the same...why not use Safari- it still does tabbed browsing, RSS, etc.

Other than the obvious features like tabbing, Mozilla is a very secure browser and rarely ever crashes (you know, whenever you send out those error reports after it closes suddenly). It's very easy to use (you can customize it much better than IE, for instance), has good support and is very compatible with pretty much anything on the internet. You can read email on it, and I hear that theres a bunch of stuff for advanced users (web development and stuff, nothing I would really know about right now). I haven't used IE7 yet; how do you like it? Also, I'm using a Windows OS, but I can't wait to buy Apple (I've used Safari at work). Even then, I would probably still use Mozilla over Safari just because I'm that comfortable with it, and like people say, Safari isn't always the most compatible browser in the world.

I guess it's mostly a personal choice, but I have enjoyed Mozilla since almost the day it came out and have had no problems with it, so I don't really see a need to switch. Explorer is the worst browser by far, and unless Microsoft has fixed the major problems with it in the beta version of IE7, I can see Explorer really damaging Microsoft in terms of reputation and ultimately profits.

tennisguy896 said:
Do you mean regarding people stealing our info off our applications if we use IE? Sorry, I really don't know much about computers- I just meant that I haven't had any problems filling out and submitting my applications using IE.

No, it's really not a huge deal. The whole thing about other people reading your application is an exaggeration for comedic effect :D I.E. does have a lot of security vulnerabilites, but they are only worrisome with super vital information (online banking, for ex.)

IE may have most of the features Firefox ships with, but it can't compare with the number of extensions present for FF. Mac people with Firefox should download the user agent switcher so you can fake being in IE - works like a charm. You also can get ad blocking and crash recovery, should that occur.

I use a PC as my personal laptop, but at my lab, we use all iMacs. I hated having to use the sole windows machine just to access AMCAS there. Isn't the point of Mac OS, so that we dont have to use Microsoft/AOL products?

I am a MAC devotee who loves he safari. AMCAS was seriously annoying to fill out. :mad:

I completely agree about Netscape and Mac's . . .when is Safari going to be more useable???

defrunner said:
Other than the obvious features like tabbing, Mozilla is a very secure browser and rarely ever crashes (you know, whenever you send out those error reports after it closes suddenly). It's very easy to use (you can customize it much better than IE, for instance), has good support and is very compatible with pretty much anything on the internet. You can read email on it, and I hear that theres a bunch of stuff for advanced users (web development and stuff, nothing I would really know about right now). I haven't used IE7 yet; how do you like it? Also, I'm using a Windows OS, but I can't wait to buy Apple (I've used Safari at work). Even then, I would probably still use Mozilla over Safari just because I'm that comfortable with it, and like people say, Safari isn't always the most compatible browser in the world.

I guess it's mostly a personal choice, but I have enjoyed Mozilla since almost the day it came out and have had no problems with it, so I don't really see a need to switch. Explorer is the worst browser by far, and unless Microsoft has fixed the major problems with it in the beta version of IE7, I can see Explorer really damaging Microsoft in terms of reputation and ultimately profits.

Well, IE7 works out fine for me....I like the way the tabs work, plus you've got a much smaller toolbar area which means more windows space. Also, it rarely crashes on me...but maybe that's just because I'm a computer techie that always keeps my computer in good working order. If something is crashing it means it's not working properly...but that doesn't mean there's something wrong with the software as a whole. More likely, it's a local problem. After all, Microsoft updates things all the time and any major issues would have been resolved via a software update.

kypdurron5 said:
Well, IE7 works out fine for me....I like the way the tabs work, plus you've got a much smaller toolbar area which means more windows space. Also, it rarely crashes on me...but maybe that's just because I'm a computer techie that always keeps my computer in good working order. If something is crashing it means it's not working properly...but that doesn't mean there's something wrong with the software as a whole. More likely, it's a local problem. After all, Microsoft updates things all the time and any major issues would have been resolved via a software update.

Yeah, I guess. Whatever it is, Mozilla doesn't really crash and IE did. Also, I've adjusted the toolbar so I have tons of windows space myself (just the back, forward, refresh, cancel and home buttons, the web address space, the 'go' button and the google box -- all on one line).

Again, it's just a personal choice; I don't really care if anyone else uses Mozilla, IE or whatever. I was just saying that I like Mozilla and if you like IE, then more power to you. I've beaten this topic to death (it over-died) so I'm pretty much done posting in this thread.

kypdurron5 said:

Your commentary on software crashing might be true for you, but regular computer users shouldn't have to have their computer in top notch condition to avoid their software crashing.

The flaw in the software is the fact that it crashes, it isn't important if it crashes because of a mistake you are making or not. Firefox regularly does not crash regardless.

Another point is that the amount of pop ups I receive using firefox is so small they almost don't exist. I know I could get the google toolbar or whatever for IE, but firefox takes it to a whole other level. You can get adblock, which allows you to actually block banner ads and some flash ads on sites, so you never have to see little cars running across your screen while you're trying to read something.

The other thing is that, people in general become fans of particular brands. Firefox beat IE by years on many features, and while they may have caught up for the moment my loyalty is to firefox. I remember using tabbed browsing or searching with my google toolbar on firefox for the first time and being amazed and the heightened functionality. So for now I'll stick with firefox until IE proves it is better.

Wow, nevermind my post, I must be more tired than I thought.

Also, since this thread starts with "official mac users.." I am going to point out I bought a new 2 ghz macbook last night! Free Ipod nano and 50 rebate on office!

Get Safari Enhancer, enable the debug menu, switch the user agent (which tells the web server what browser you're using) to IE and you can you still use Safari to do the AMCAS application. Works great for a lot of other supposedly IE only sites as well.