**Official Maryland Class of 2021 Interview/Acceptance Thread**

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

deleted632307

I didn't see a thread for Maryland anywhere, so I made one!

Hope that's okay with y'all!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users

What are some of the pluses? As a D3, can you provide some insight as to what you've enjoyed about the school the last 2.5 years? You seem to have a perspective that many do not have, I ask please share your wisdom (positive and negative) so people can be as informed as they can. This would be useful to a number of current applicants, as well as applicants in future cycles.
Pluses:
-exam schedule is pretty flexible and you don't have too many exams in one day at any time, but it's still a lot of work to cover
-summer after D1 is off
-Diamond Scholars program
-the UMB shuttle is convenient but if you don't live close to a shuttle stop, the walks to shuttle can be sketchy
-group projects are fun....sometimes
-nice gym
-library is nice
-externships can be done at private practices
-global dental volunteering (but this is available at many schools, mind you)
-the SIM lab is helpful for preparing you for future patients but all that SIM lab entails is working on CPR style dummies but still cool

Minuses:
-favoritism is apparent in clinics, especially from kids in my class whose parents are dean's faculty members in clinic
-clinic is hectic and chair time is hard to come by unless you're a favorite in some clinics
-leftover requirements can cause you to work overtime and past graduation
-location, which I thoroughly went over in the last maryland thread: by the way, if you live in a row house with street parking expect your car to get broken into
-the boards are a b*tch of a test to take
-cliquey classmates and competition: DO NOT LIVE WITH YOUR CLASSMATES, I REPEAT DO NOT. I personally live with my family but classmates living together has caused so many riffs and drama
-if you don't get previous students' old exams passed down to you for lectures that have exams, good luck. Some classes really require that you know the style of the professor to do well
-for some reason, some of my classmates have a chip on their shoulder and this is just a common "Maryland Dental" attitude that many have and if you care about developing good patient relationships then snap out of it fast
-least favorite lab: prosthodontics
-some teachers make you do things according to the old textbook style and it is just so aggravating

Members don't see this ad :)
Via @NicoPresto from the old thread

"I interviewed 1/17. And yes, I have. I work with a few Maryland dental graduates who have dissuaded me from going. I also know firsthand that the area around the school is unsafe and requires utmost vigilance. I also know that the campus security will not drive you home after a certain hour so if you're stuck at the lib past say 11pm then you need to find alternate ways of going home that don't involve walking alone. I know that out of state tuition is quite expensive and matches most out of state rates. And I also happen to know that being a Maryland resident I am tired of being in Baltimore. The city "awesomeness" does get old. You can explore the entire city and Fed Hill bars in a day and it gets boring week after week. Not to mention that finding a cheap house with covered parking that won't leave you susceptible to broken windows or slashed tires or stolen vehicles is HARD to find. Parking spots in apartments are $150+ a month"

Via @predental21250 in previous Maryland thread

"Every school has it's plus and minuses for sure. As someone who owns property in Baltimore as well as works in the city, I can't vouch enough on how much a piece of **** it is. Talk to any students there, pharm, law, med, dental and it's the same story. Inner harbor gets old, powerplant gets old, baseball games get old. There's nothing else that the city can offer and it's going downhill.

I've also heard a lot of negative stuff about the school from students that have recently graduated, and many that are going there. But as I said, i'm sure every school has it's draw backs. For example, you don't really hear about the flooding that happened at temple last week that forced the clinics to close lol"

Since there is another v2.0 thread and since this one is already dredging up the same stuff from the old thread, going to close this one in favor of the other one.

Reactions: 4 users
Status
Not open for further replies.