**Official Maryland Class of 2023 Interview/Acceptance Thread**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thloo

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I don't think there is a thread this cycle for Maryland so I thought I should start one. It seems that some people have begun receiving the supplemental application, including myself. Check your emails and best of luck to everyone!

Link to interview prep: University of Maryland School of Dentistry Interview Feedback
----> Be sure to give feedback on your interview to help future applicants! :)

*edited by staff to include link to interview feedback

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
Nice! I didn't know there was an additional supplemental application on top of the essays on AADSAS.

All I have atm is the application process email from almost a month ago lol

I got the supplemental yesterday as well. Does anyone know why the picture request? Also, they seem to focus a lot on instate vs out-of-state, does anyone know their out-of-state acceptance numbers?

Members don't see this ad :)
I got the supplemental yesterday as well. Does anyone know why the picture request? Also, they seem to focus a lot on instate vs out-of-state, does anyone know their out-of-state acceptance numbers?

Wait... I submitted my supplemental about a week ago, but I didn't submit a photo.

From what I read in previous threads, it seems like the picture is most likely for receiving a picture early and associating it with your profile, information systems, and I.D cards at the school in the chance you get accepted. I believe Pitt Dental also asks for a picture as well. It would be evil to use your face as a factor in admission ._.

Also, from Dental Explorer, the 2017 data shows 2349 OOS applications, 320 interviews, and 51 enrollments. Not sure about actual acceptance rate. Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
From what I read in previous threads, it seems like the picture is most likely for receiving a picture early and associating it with your profile, information systems, and I.D cards at the school in the chance you get accepted. I believe Pitt Dental also asks for a picture as well. It would be evil to use your face as a factor in admission ._.

Also, from Dental Explorer, the 2017 data shows 3249 OOS applications, 320 interviews, and 51 enrollments. Not sure about actual acceptance rate. Hope this helps!

Thanks, I like to have an idea of the numbers.

Also, from Dental Explorer, the 2017 data shows 3249 OOS applications, 320 interviews, and 51 enrollments. Not sure about actual acceptance rate. Hope this helps!
I realized I made a typo. It was 2349 OOS applications! Fixed.

I vaguely remember seeing somewhere that Maryland basically only sends supplementals to people that they are going to interview. Has anybody else heard this or am I thinking of somewhere else?

I vaguely remember seeing somewhere that Maryland basically only sends supplementals to people that they are going to interview. Has anybody else heard this or am I thinking of somewhere else?

yup you're right! Application Guidelines

"Candidates whose applications meet preliminary screening criteria will be invited to continue with the admissions process and will receive an invitation to complete the University of Maryland supplemental application."

everyone seems to have received their maryland supplemental already, but i haven't gotten mine yet.
i e-submitted my application on 6/5, should i be worried?

yup you're right! Application Guidelines

"Candidates whose applications meet preliminary screening criteria will be invited to continue with the admissions process and will receive an invitation to complete the University of Maryland supplemental application."

everyone seems to have received their maryland supplemental already, but i haven't gotten mine yet.

I just got mine today and submitted on 6/6 (I was also worried because it seemed like everyone had gotten theirs). I wouldn't worry about it for a while if I were you. Seems like they are steadily sending them out.

For those who got a supplemental application, do you mind sharing your stats (GPA/DAT)?

Members don't see this ad :)
For those who got a supplemental application, do you mind sharing your stats (GPA/DAT)?
3.65 total, 3.5 science. 23AA, 21,TS. 23 PAT, 21 bio, 18 OR, 27 GC, 28 QR, 20 RC

yup you're right!

Does everyone receive the supplemental?
Thanks!

Also, from Dental Explorer, the 2017 data shows 2349 OOS applications, 320 interviews, and 51 enrollments. Not sure about actual acceptance rate. Hope this helps!
Could you link where you found this? I couldn't find it on google. Thanks!

Everybody who received a supplemental, did you have all your LORs submitted when you applied or did some of y'all receive it before the LORs were in?

3.82 GPA/ 3.73 sGPA
24 AA/23 TS/ 22 PAT/ 25 QR/ 23 RC/ 24 Bio/ 20 GC/ 26 OC
Received the supplemental: 8/7
Application completed: 7/18

Somebody mentioned that getting a supplemental is an indication that UMDSOD will invite you for an interview? Is that true? Old sensei from previous cycles, please enlighten me!

Somebody mentioned that getting a supplemental is an indication that UMDSOD will invite you for an interview? Is that true? Old sensei from previous cycles, please enlighten me!
This is a myth, people who meet Maryland's minimum specofic requirements get the supp, but a supp does not mean youre necessarily going to get an interview, I have spoken to admissions regarding this.

Thank you

Does anyone know what percentage of in-state interviewee gets acceptance offers? According to the ADEA book, half of the instate enrolls, some I assume the offers made must be quite a bit higher

Thank you

Does anyone know what percentage of in-state interviewee gets acceptance offers? According to the ADEA book, half of the instate enrolls, some I assume the offers made must be quite a bit higher

If you have the latest edition of the ADEA book then the data regarding offers are in the tables in the back. You can calculate the percentages both instate and out of state.

If you have the latest edition of the ADEA book then the data regarding offers are in the tables in the back. You can calculate the percentages both instate and out of state.
Thank you! It seems to me that there are a lot of offers made to interviewees, which is completely the opposite of the percentage # of enrolled/total applicant that appeared in each school's profile. I guess for most schools, getting interview do net you a pretty high chance of receiving an acceptance offer! It just seemed odd to me that CWRU, for example, made over 208 OOS offers (from 259 interviewed) while having a class size sub 80.

Thank you! It seems to me that there are a lot of offers made to interviewees, which is completely the opposite of the percentage # of enrolled/total applicant that appeared in each school's profile. I guess for most schools, getting interview do net you a pretty high chance of receiving an acceptance offer! It just seemed odd to me that CWRU, for example, made over 208 OOS offers (from 259 interviewed) while having a class size sub 80.

Oh wow. I didn’t know that about case western. That suggests a lot of their initial offers turned them down and they had to give out additional offers to the waiting list.

Oh wow. I didn’t know that about case western. That suggests a lot of their initial offers turned them down and they had to give out additional offers to the waiting list.
Yes! Definintely a relief, I was freaking out at just how little of those interviewed gets accepted, but it turns out thats not the case at all.

Can anyone pay the secondary fee? Every time I click on the link it says error it isn't working :(

Has anyone received anything from Maryland after their supp application? All I have right now is a confirmation email, I don't even know if they received my in-state residency form in the mail or not.

Has anyone heard back for an interview?
Interview #4
School: Maryland
Notification date: 08/21/18
Method of notification: Email
Residency: Ut
AADSAS mail-out date: 06/12/18
Application complete date: 06/12/18
GPA (science, overall): 3.95, 3.97
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 23/24/21/22/None

Just received my invite! Instate, 3.7 goals/sgpa, 24 AA/TS

Interview #1
School: Maryland
Notification date: 08/21/18
Method of notification: Email
Residency: PA
AADSAS mail-out date: 06/7/18
Application complete date: 06/25/18
GPA (science, overall): 3.87, 3.85
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 23/23/20/27/None

congrats to those who received an interview! can you guys tell me when you received the complete and ready to be reviewed email?

congrats to those who received an interview! can you guys tell me when you received the complete and ready to be reviewed email?

Application was received/processed on June 28, secondary was processed on July 10

Got an interview invite for September 11th! Congrats to everyone that has gotten one so far!

Got the interview invitation this morning!

3.9 oGPA/sGPA
20 AA 20 TS 23 PAT

Interview #5
School: UMD

Notification date: 08/21/2018
Method of notification:
Email
Residency: VA
AADSAS mail-out date: 06/25/2018
GPA (science, overall): 3.80, 3.82
DAT (AA/TS/Reading/any section below a 17): 21/22/20/none
Interviewing Sept 25th!

Does anyone know what the interview is going to be like? I've heard it going to be a 2 v 1, with one faculty and one D4. Just not sure how long it usually is, and the atmosphere of the interview. Do we also have lunch interview with students?

My e-mail says I need to contact them to accept my interview invitation by September 4. Does this mean I can contact them ON September 4? I have tried to call but I keep getting the answering machine..

My e-mail says I need to contact them to accept my interview invitation by September 4. Does this mean I can contact them ON September 4? I have tried to call but I keep getting the answering machine..
I had that problem and i got through when I called at like 9/10 est

Hello SDN-ers! I graduated from UMSOD in 2018 and love being a dentist now :)
If you have any Qs, feel free to reach out by tagging me or sending a private message. I will do my best to answer in a timely manner

Please remember to take everything you see on here with a grain of salt. Enjoy the application and interview process... its nothing compared to the stress of school during a hard week

If you have any Qs, feel free to reach out by tagging me or sending a private message. I will do my best to answer in a timely manner

Please remember to take everything you see on here with a grain of salt. Enjoy the application and interview process... its nothing compared to the stress of school during a hard week
Is the area the school is in safe or is everything I hear about downtown Baltimore true?

I just got an email today telling me that they just received my secondary application. I had submitted that 2 moths ago.

Thanks for this! I was wondering if you could tell us about the highlights of this school and questions you suggest we ask during our interview as well! Thanks!

I just got an email today telling me that they just received my secondary application. I had submitted that 2 moths ago.

That just happened to me. I submitted my secondary July 26th, and got a confirmation email. Then today I got an email thanking me for "completing the secondary application and it has been received by the office of admissions and will be processed." Should I just wait, or email back to ask if they have reviewed it yet? I'm worried I might not get an interview if they just barely have it down my secondary was completed.

I received the app complete email about a month ago and still have't received a supplemental application invitation. Has anyone recently received one from them?

Status
Not open for further replies.