Official MCAT 2015 Discussion Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SN2ed

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
All MCAT 2015 discussions should go here.

Members don't see this ad.

How long after the release of the test, will new study materials will come out? or will they come out before? Like examkracker ect. Also, will you be making a 3 month study schedule? Also, is it best to take the MCAT at the end of summer b/w junior and senior year? or taking it the beginning of junior year after studying all summer.?

First off, I wouldn't worry about any of this until you graduate high school. It's a complete waste of time and you may very well change your mind about medicine along the way. By the time I graduated college, less than 10% of the people that were initially interested in medicine, went on to medical school. That kind of figure isn't exactly uncommon. People change and so do their goals. For now, keep an open mind and don't turn into a neurotic pre-med.

First off, I wouldn't worry about any of this until you graduate high school. It's a complete waste of time and you may very well change your mind about medicine along the way. By the time I graduated college, less than 10% of the people that were initially interested in medicine, went on to medical school. That kind of figure isn't exactly uncommon. People change and so do their goals. For now, keep an open mind and don't turn into a neurotic pre-med.
Thanks for the advice:)

Members don't see this ad :)
How long after the release of the test, will new study materials will come out? or will they come out before? Like examkracker ect.

From the AAMC website:
In addition to the Preview Guide for the MCAT2015 the AAMC will make free and low-cost preparation materials available in 2014 including a free, full-length practice test and a new “The Official Guide to MCAT2015."

AAMC also is developing an electronic repository of instructional resources on pre-health competencies. The repository, called College Pre-Health iCollaborative, will make relevant curricula widely available (and free). The repository will be a searchable online collection of curricula for pre-health competencies on the AAMC Web site.

Incoming freshman here, meaning I am giving myself the options of either taking the MCAT at the end of 2014 or in the beginning of 2015.

Do you think I should chance taking the new MCAT or stick with the old MCAT?

There was recently a small event at my university where the senior (assitant?) dean of NYU med school admissions came in and talked about relevant things. I asked him about the 2015 MCAT and he said that, based on his experience with AAMC, they don't really get things started when they plan to and the real date for the new MCAT would be something like 2017. I'll be a sophomore in the fall so I'm in a really gray area between old/new MCATs.
Any idea on how accurate the new test date is?

Not many people seriously know, except for the adcom. Of course its good for them! lol

There was recently a small event at my university where the senior (assitant?) dean of NYU med school admissions came in and talked about relevant things. I asked him about the 2015 MCAT and he said that, based on his experience with AAMC, they don't really get things started when they plan to and the real date for the new MCAT would be something like 2017. I'll be a sophomore in the fall so I'm in a really gray area between old/new MCATs.
Any idea on how accurate the new test date is?

I would like to know this too. I plan on taking the MCAT the summer of 2015. I want to know if I should take classes in Psychology, Sociology, and Biochemistry to prepare for the MCAT

Last edited:
I would like to know this too. I plan on taking the MCAT the summer of 2015. I want to know if I should take classes in Psychology, Sociology, and Biochemistry to prepare for the MCAT

People on SDN seem to suggest taking biochemistry even for the current MCAT; the literature published from the AAMC for the 2015 MCAT states that you are expected to know certain topics to the extent of what is covered in a first-semester biochemistry class.
Even if what a poster above said is true about the AAMC being behind on getting things moving, according to some SDN wisdom, you can't go wrong taking biochem either way.

Taking psych and sociology is another question. I took psych and enjoyed it, and my class had a nice blend of the biological, cognitive, developmental, and social psychology... I feel the AAMC placed a lot of what is covered in the social part of a psychology class under the sociology heading on the 2015 MCAT guide.

Thus, I'd recommend psych, but I have no clue what to do about sociology.
Maybe take the test in 2014 so you can have a better idea of what's coming?

Hi, i have purchased the AAMC book here. I am starting to do the questions. If I don't get a question, can I post it here to get an explanation?

I sympathize with those of you who have to take the new monster. But if you have half or most of your pre-reqs done, try to take the current version in Jan.
Good luck to y'all!

The Biochem covered on the new MCAT is said to be the first half of an undergraduate biochem class. That's off the AAMC website.

I'm planning on using TBR books for my review, replacing maybe Bio and Orgo with TPR. I'll see which one I prefer when I get to it.

My biggest question is what are you guys planning on using for reviewing the new Biochem/Psych/Socio section? I'm leaning towards these two
www.randomhouse.com/princetonreview/catalog/display.pperl?isbn=9780804125048
http://www.randomhouse.com/princetonreview/catalog/display.pperl?isbn=9780804124737

With no reason other than TPR is a well trusted company and TBR isn't planning on shipping out their materials for those sections until late May, at best.

Hi,

I have a question about memorizing in general? anyone having trouble with mere volume of information. anyone have any tips or experiences if you want to share!

Hi,

I have a question about memorizing in general? anyone having trouble with mere volume of information. anyone have any tips or experiences if you want to share!
I am totally having difficulties with rote memorization! i hate it! I use alot and alot of mnemonics! For example, I might use SCAB for the 4 types of collagen or SIG E.CAPS for symptoms of depression or SMART for Parkinson symptoms. Just to say I have a huge compilation of mnemonics that helps me to remember things. Also, as you review your FL I find myself having to go back and reread things while asking myself the question in a different way. I find that it helps keep my memory "alive" so to speak.

Best,