Official NBME details from AAOMS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That went terribly. If it is scored on a straight percentage, I will consider myself lucky with >30%...

Members don't see this ad.

Hmmm, I took the test today with a friend who took it May 5, 2013. He checked his email and got results the morning of the May 9th so I don't know about that crazy 2+ week waiting period you were subjected too. Moreover, I know for a fact that a lot of PDs are waiting on these results so I'm sure they'll be released as soon as possible.

Yes, you are correct. I apologize as I was looking at when the final mean etc. was reported by AAOMS. Thanks for catching my error.

May 4 - test
May 9 - personal score
May 20 - AAOMS final mean, etc

After studying as much as I did, it feels pretty demoralizing to have guessed on what feels like the majority of the questions. . .

Members don't see this ad :)
I took the exam today as well. I wonder how it compares to the previous versions. In retrospect, I don't know what else I could have done to better prepare myself after seeing those questions.

I guess I feel a bit better now that others felt it was difficult. I was scoring in the 40's and below on UWorld blocks, though.

How does the scoring even work... there's no way an 80 correlates to an 80% correct on the exam, right?

Took the exam last sept. Got a 55 after 7 days studying. Took it yesterday after studying 3 1/2 months. I don't feel like I did any better than last year. That was brutal.

I think the time is way not enough to pick the answer , each question gets 78 seconds , lots of questions you would need more than a minute to read , and some questions have 10 choices to pick from ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?

I think the time is way not enough to pick the answer , each question gets 78 seconds , lots of questions you would need more than a minute to read , and some questions have 10 choices to pick from ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?

I don't know if I agree with you. I find myself having 10+ minutes after every block (before looking at 5-7 flagged questions) and I don't feel like I rush through them either.

I guess no reason for you to be worried about your score then :)
I for sure can use an extra 10 minutes per block

I guess no reason for you to be worried about your score then :)
I for sure can use an extra 10 minutes per block

Haha, I wish you were right :) I think the extra time comes from the fact that many questions end up being a complete guess

Members don't see this ad :)
That test was truly brutal. I studied pretty hard.. yet felt like I was guessing on so much!

The other problem was poorly worded questions or deliberately misleading sentences with obvious answers that clearly were meant to throw anyone that didn't have a wealth of knowledge behind every clinical aspect listed in the question.

Also, any of the pathogenesis type questions were intensely focused on some minute process vs some general form of the disease. I mean, it took pathogenesis to a new level, something first aid did not even come close to touching. I mean, it made first aid feel like an absolute joke. I seriously maybe had like 6-10 straight fact type questions.

That test was truly brutal. I studied pretty hard.. yet felt like I was guessing on so much!

The other problem was poorly worded questions or deliberately misleading sentences with obvious answers that clearly were meant to throw anyone that didn't have a wealth of knowledge behind every clinical aspect listed in the question.

Also, any of the pathogenesis type questions were intensely focused on some minute process vs some general form of the disease. I mean, it took pathogenesis to a new level, something first aid did not even come close to touching. I mean, it made first aid feel like an absolute joke. I seriously maybe had like 6-10 straight fact type questions.

That's just simply how this test is and will continue to be

Whats the word on the suspected date for scores released? I was thinking Thurs based on the May exam.

Today's CBSE Score: 63

3 months of studying
Completed 67% Uworld with average of 50% (completed by section in tutor mode)
Watched all of Pathoma video
Read 1/2 of First Aid

Last year (September) score: 62

1.5 months studying
100% Uworld with Average of 46% (completed half of randomly assorted questions in tutor, other half in normal setting)
Completed FA

Any idea when we will receive the averages/standard deviation? The score report from today doesn't mean much without the average. How do we have our score reports sent to the schools that we have applied to? Also, will the schools receive information about the averages/standard deviations for the exam that we are sending our score in for? It seems that the averages will be different each time this test is taken.

Bereno you should add the data from the sept exam to your fancy spreadsheet

I'm waiting for Oct 6th to roll around to see when the mean and standard deviation are reported. Also, if a new scale is used, I will be sure to add that as well. :thumbup:

Any idea when we will receive the averages/standard deviation? The score report from today doesn't mean much without the average. How do we have our score reports sent to the schools that we have applied to? Also, will the schools receive information about the averages/standard deviations for the exam that we are sending our score in for? It seems that the averages will be different each time this test is taken.

I'm guessing Oct 6th. I have a strange feeling the average will be sitting right around 58-59 or so, but I guess we will find out in the next few weeks.

Note that your score relative to the average for that exam is not all that important IMO. What is important however, is the average score for those who apply which unfortunately, we will not know. This is likely because every application cycle will have students who took different exams, and thus have a different average score among that applicant group. These averages and standard deviations will also vary from program to program. This is enough for me to think that the last few averages are a fairly solid reference to use as well. Just food for thought.

Obviously, the higher the score the better, with a 65+ being great, but in general I am wondering if an average NBME score along with a solid GPA (3.75+)/class rank (top 15%) should be sufficient for this cycle.

I have been emailing my score report pdf file to programs that contacted me regarding missing documentation
since some programs told me to email it or fax it or send a copy of score report...I just downloaded the pdf from NBME link.
It is painful to send out that unpleasant score....god please have mercy on me..

Guys, just got my score ..it's a 59.
I worked pretty hard for this exam around 3-4 months, but still didn't do that well.
Going to take it again.
I don't know how you guys felt, but this sept exam was quite hard with very poorly structured ques and so much of guess work.

Shout-out to all the guys at UCLA Class of 2015 who put in some good work and took our school average to that next level. Pretty impressive man......

Last edited:
Shout-out to all the guys at UCLA Class of 2015 who put in some good work and took our school average to that next level. Pretty impressive man..

Killa,

Do you care to share some numbers since you took the time to post that?

Shout-out to all the guys at UCLA Class of 2015 who put in some good work and took our school average to that next level. Pretty impressive man......Straight up :beat: that test

eh.. really tacky post. at least post numbers or something and let them speak for themselves. i see that you posted your score from last exam but didn't post for this one but decided to just create unfounded hype. why? my classmates and i (7 total) took this test and our average was in the mid 60's. don't really know if this is taking it to the next level. was your average in the 70's?

1. Don't mean to create unfounded hype or get anyone all upset/anxious. Just wanted to say good job to my class who read this crap yet don't often post. That's all. Please don't look so deep into it.

2. I'm not posting exact averages or individual scores other than my own since, like EastCoastDMD said, ill let them post for themselves.

3. Yes I did take the test again and it's funny how quickly one forgets how much of a beast this exam really is. Just so much material!!! And I thought the exam we got was rough. I ended up with a 78 yet was still 7 points below my average practice exams. Not mad although not too thrilled.

Yes I did take the test again and it's funny how quickly one forgets how much of a beast this exam really is. Just so much material!!! And I thought the exam we got was rough. I ended up with a 78 yet was still 7 points below my average practice exams. Not mad although not too thrilled.

Killa,

Bravo to you for taking it again with an improved result. That was a pain to take once. I had the same experience as you, scoring a bit higher on my test exams.

I am currently hoping to be hearing about interviews soon. There are a number of programs which have sent out invites that I was very interested in but it looks like they didn't feel the love for me. I think actually having a scored NBDE which was just OK might be holding me back, regardless if I got a 76 on the NBME. Who knows, just hoping to get at least get a few more interviews. It is astounding seeing the number of highly qualified applicants who don't match each year...

Last edited:
toronto77, from the other threads i thought ur getting like 10+ interviews already no?

toronto77, from the other threads i thought ur getting like 10+ interviews already no?

Oh no, only 2. On the interview thread I was trying to get it started with some organization. There are a few people on there who I think have lined up a good number at this point.

Many people obviously look at these threads but unfortunately very few people like to add useful information. In previous years there had been significant input from people however over these last couple of years fewer people like to share.

Hello there, first time poster, just wondering any ideas for what a respectable score would be? 65 or higher? or 70+?

Thanks guys!

I think that all depends on what your class rank and GPA are. If you have a solid GPA/rank then 60+ will probably be fine. I've met a few people on interviews already that were in the mid 50s. So there's no cut and dry answer for what score is needed. I've heard some 6 year programs will only interview with a 65+, but I think people are focusing far too much on this test. The real important aspects of your application are going to be rank/GPA/externships. This is coming from program directors that I've talked to as well, so until they have a solid base of "what is a good score", they are really looking at ranks/externships and other ways to see that you're dedicated to the field of oral surgery

I think that all depends on what your class rank and GPA are. If you have a solid GPA/rank then 60+ will probably be fine. I've met a few people on interviews already that were in the mid 50s. So there's no cut and dry answer for what score is needed. I've heard some 6 year programs will only interview with a 65+, but I think people are focusing far too much on this test. The real important aspects of your application are going to be rank/GPA/externships. This is coming from program directors that I've talked to as well, so until they have a solid base of "what is a good score", they are really looking at ranks/externships and other ways to see that you're dedicated to the field of oral surgery

Great, thanks so much for the response!

I've met a few people on interviews already that were in the mid 50s.

Duke,

I know Banner and Iowa have already had some interviews. What other programs have had interviews up to this point?

just those two programs thus far, but I've also talked this past summer to program directors at places I've externed at, and they all seem to agree from the programs I visited that they don't know how to evaluate this test.

I have more interviews coming up and I can post more when I find out what those program directors say about the cbse

just received email from AAOMS regarding Sept exam Stats

Mean: 54.4
Range: 21-93
SD: 10.9

So based on the score interpretation guide, a 65 is the new 90 (NBDE part 1)? Should we followed the proposed modified guide or the original guide attached to the program list document? Hmm...

Last edited: