Official Northwestern Acceptance Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It looks like my decision is going to be Northwestern vs Emory. I'm not wild about Emory's grading system or Northwestern's weather. Any insights from anybody?

Members don't see this ad.

DryDoc said:
It looks like my decision is going to be Northwestern vs Emory. I'm not wild about Emory's grading system or Northwestern's weather. Any insights from anybody?

hmm... weather you have to deal with for 4 years, but your transcript could affect the rest of your life (matching, fellowships, etc.)!

Besides, I thought I read something about construction underway at Emory? I wouldn't want to take anatomy in a make-shift lab in a basement somewhere (caveat: I haven't visited Emory or spoken with anyone there, so perhaps they have made better arrangments)

DryDoc said:

personally, i think chicago is a helluva lot better than atlanta, which just seems like a big area of suburban sprawl.

Members don't see this ad :)
^

Yeah the contest between Chicago vs. Atlanta is an easy one, especially when you consider year round weather... I don't know what good Atlanta's weather will do you when you can't go to the beach in the summer like in Chicago or have all the festivals and activities... and actually WALK to them, hehe... heck, just the lakefront running path and parks alone make Chicago better IMO even IF they were equally sized cities.... and it's not like Atlanta's a tropical paradise in the winter you know... I would hasten to guess that at any one point in time during the winter a higher percentage of people are actually outside in Chicago...

The decision should be an easy one based on what type of lifestyle you want for 4 years. It's really city vs. suburb. Honestly, to be real, downtown Atlanta has about as much urbanity as some suburbs of Chicago... and in Emory you are not even in the downtown area... and there is infinetly more to do in Chicago and more for your friends and family to do when they come visit, so you can blow off steam a lot better there. And the pass/fail, laid-back, progressive curriculum at Northwestern that gives you time to take a nap in the afternoon? Man, the choice is no brainer. Just my 2 cents.

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone accepted/interview at NW this year could let me know how NW notifies an applicant if they will receive an interview or be rejected.

Is it email, and is the status page updated? Basically, is there any point to checking the status page?

Thanks!

charles82 said:
Hi, I was just wondering if anyone accepted/interview at NW this year could let me know how NW notifies an applicant if they will receive an interview or be rejected.

Is it email, and is the status page updated? Basically, is there any point to checking the status page?

Thanks!

They will send you an email for an interview. There isn't really any use in checking the status page.

bobito said:
They will send you an email for an interview. There isn't really any use in checking the status page.

this is wrong. i actually only find out i had an interview through the status page bc NU screwed up and didnt send me the email...

vn2004 said:
this is wrong. i actually only find out i had an interview through the status page bc NU screwed up and didnt send me the email...

your mom is wrong.
No, yeah you're right though. I debated putting in an "unless there is an error line". I decided against it, cause I didn't think it really happened that often. I'm sorry that it happened to you. I was figuring I could stave them off from checking their status incessantly, cause that is very not useful.

Did everyone that received an acceptance phone call receive a letter? Is there something to send back (deposit/letter), or a deadline? I haven't gotten anything in the mail and am cool with waiting unless there's something I need to send back.... my mail's notoriously slow, so I'm just trying to figure out if that's the problem or if nothing has been sent yet.

I got a letter in the mail early last week - small, thin envelope - with a form to sign and send back. No deposit. They give you two weeks to respond, so if you haven't received the letter yet, I'd call the admissions office. You don't want them thinking you're not taking the spot. :) Maybe I'll see you at second look!

bobito said:

Thanks Bobito!

Hi,

On NW website, there is an admissions process calendar. Here is an excerpt.

"August through mid December

The Committee on Admissions reviews completed application files and makes interview invitation decisions."

It' s Dec 21, and I haven't received an email (I was complete as of August MCAT scores being released). Therefore, is it a sure bet that I won't be offerred an interview?

Thanks!

LizzyM said:
When a school gets as many applications as Northwestern does (6,000-8,000) it takes months to plow through the applcications. If you are going to be interviewed, you should hear soon. On the other hand, recognize that only 10-15% of the applicants get interviews so it was/is a long shot.

Does anyone remember what NU's stats were? I think they said they interview around 800 and accept around 200 for about 110 or so spots.....can anyone confirm this?

pnasty said:
Does anyone remember what NU's stats were? I think they said they interview around 800 and accept around 200 for about 110 or so spots.....can anyone confirm this?

At the interview, I remember them saying that they got 7000 apps, interview about 10%, and accept about 40% (~280) of interviewees.

Punisher said:
At the interview, I remember them saying that they got 7000 apps, interview about 10%, and accept about 40% (~280) of interviewees.
srsly? that'd be awesome. I was afraid the number was much lower, because I thought their retention might be pretty high. here's hoping!

TheProwler said:
srsly? that'd be awesome. I was afraid the number was much lower, because I thought their retention might be pretty high. here's hoping!

yeah i remember the admissions person saying the same thing on my interview day, about 40% of interviewees eventually get in

bumped and ready for some action

It may be too early to bump the thread again, but the anxiety is too high