*** Official NYCOM Class of 2010 ***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shenningdo

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Someone had to start it.... Congratulations to everyone.

I would love to meet some of my future classmates before school begins for drinks or dinner or house hunting! I am ready for the long nights of studying, the endless lack of sleep, and the enormous amount of material we will absorb in the next four years... I do think, however, it will be easier and more fun if we have some people with which we can share the pain!

I am Shannon... a 23 yr old female living in NJ, finishing my master's at UMDNJ in May, and originally from NY.

Sooner or later housing and roommate opportunities will pop up, so why not get to know each other now.

Happy New Year!

Members don't see this ad.

Congratulations, just got NYCOM acceptance other day as well but already had to put down a deposit earlier in the month on LECOM-Erie. Any one know the procedure of how to withdraw once you put down a deposit (have to notify NYCOM for anything or just LECOM?).

immunograd said:
Congratulations, just got NYCOM acceptance other day as well but already had to put down a deposit earlier in the month on LECOM-Erie. Any one know the procedure of how to withdraw once you put down a deposit (have to notify NYCOM for anything or just LECOM?).

Hi-

I put a deposit down at UNECOM in December. This morning I called and spoke to Lisa, the admissions coordinator up there. I simply told her I was withdrawing my application and forfeiting my seat for the entering class of 2006 due to receiving an acceptance to a school closer to home and a better fit for me. I did not say "NYCOM is my top choice, and UNECOM was only my second choice." I was polite, and she was thankful for the heads up so early. Most schools will require an e-mail or snail mail letter for proof of withdrawal, but I would suggest taking the personal step and calling as well.

Good luck!
-Shannon

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the advice! I called up LECOM, and will follow up with a letter, although I don't think they will be refunding my $1500 anytime soon...

congratulations!! yay NYCOM! :oops:

immunograd said:
Thanks for the advice! I called up LECOM, and will follow up with a letter, although I don't think they will be refunding my $1500 anytime soon...

You are welcome. Look at the $1500 as a drop in the bucket to an amazing future. It is a lot of money, but it was well worth the peace of mind knowing you were going somewhere next year and would definitely become a doctor somewhere. Welcome to NYCOM, and congratulations!

Just sent in my deposit today , :D
By the way congrats to all , and look forward to meeting my future classmates

HunterGatherer said:
did you guys get anything from finacial aid with your acceptance materials? Thanks!

Nope, they did not send any financial aid info... just fill out your fafsa asap, and take care of the forms as soon as you get them ( thats the advice I got from people giving the tour when i had the interview)

Whats up, After everything has played out for me I have put my deposit down at NYCOM. Class of 2010 here I come! Im real excitied about the next four years and although i think I know how hard and fun it will be it is actually more likely that I have no idea. My name is Mike (obviously), I am 22 and from fishkill NY. I finished Undergrad (Biology) in May and am working and saving money until I go back in August. Hopefully I'll get to meet a few people before we start up. Congrats to everyone else here!

I havent recieved any financial aid stuff yet, my deposit was recieved certified two days ago though, so I assume they will be sending some more forms of various types shortly including aid packets, I cant fill out FAFSA anyway until all of my W2s come in i think (I have 1 out of 4).

I have a question for you guys though... What do you think about the PBL curriculum? I am going to apply for it b/c I think it is a better overall learning approach but I am kind of scared about how well it prepares you for the COMPLEX/USMLE. I dont know.

Mike2010 said:
Whats up, After everything has played out for me I have put my deposit down at NYCOM. Class of 2010 here I come! Im real excitied about the next four years and although i think I know how hard and fun it will be it is actually more likely that I have no idea. My name is Mike (obviously), I am 22 and from fishkill NY. I finished Undergrad (Biology) in May and am working and saving money until I go back in August. Hopefully I'll get to meet a few people before we start up. Congrats to everyone else here!

I havent recieved any financial aid stuff yet, my deposit was recieved certified two days ago though, so I assume they will be sending some more forms of various types shortly including aid packets, I cant fill out FAFSA anyway until all of my W2s come in i think (I have 1 out of 4).

I have a question for you guys though... What do you think about the PBL curriculum? I am going to apply for it b/c I think it is a better overall learning approach but I am kind of scared about how well it prepares you for the COMPLEX/USMLE. I dont know.

Congratulations on your acceptance and decision to join us at NYCOM next year. I am very excited for you.

Regarding your FAFSA, you can file it without your W2s. FAFSA will ask you if you "Have Filed", "Will File", or "Will Not File". You can choose "Will File", and it will ask you to estimate your gross and net incomes. Otherwise, you can fill in everything else since you know it, and they will complete the FAFSA form as is. Then, once you have filed, you can go into the FAFSA website and file a correction to update your income information. I would suggest filling out the FAFSA as soon as possible, so you have a better chance at receiving first come first serve loans, such as the Perkins Loan.

Otherwise, none of us have received any financial aid documents. As far as I know, all anyone has received is the information given to us during the interview, our acceptance letters, and the technical standards pamphlet that came with the letter.

Regarding the PBL program, I do think it is an amazing program. However, I am not applying for a position in it, purely out of fear. I only have one shot at getting my medical school education, and I am fearful of being a guinea pig to a new program. I am sure everyone at NYCOM gets an equally good education, but I am still fearful. Call me a traditionalist :). A medical school education is what you make of it, and I know I will make more of it with lectures, textbooks, exams, and a traditional systems-based lecture style. My learning style is one that can be adapted to either, but I know many people who have learning styles that lend them to one or the other. A person who cannot sit still or absorb enough information sitting in a lecture or a person who is self-driven enough to make good use of the time given to PBL students to do research is a good fit for the program. That is just my two cents.

By the way, I am Shannon, a 23 year old female currently finishing my Master's at UMDNJ in Newark, NJ. I went to college at Indiana University, and I have lived in NY, California, Indiana, and NJ. Now, I am definitely ready to go back home to NY :)!

wtf happened to the NYCOM 09 thread? I guess no one loves us anymore.

:mad:

Dies Irae said:
wtf happened to the NYCOM 09 thread? I guess no one loves us anymore.
Our 15 minutes in the spotlight has expired.

Members don't see this ad :)
For those who have sent in their deposits, did you hear anything back to the effect that they have recieved your deposit. I sent mine certified mail and someone picked it up b/c I got the card back showing someone signed for it. However I haven't heard anything from them or have not seen a $1500 decrease in my checking account. Do you think I should call them? Theyve had it for about a week now and the last day deposits are accepted (for my acceptance batch) is the 20th. Im just a little nervous about it.

Mike2010 said:
For those who have sent in their deposits, did you hear anything back to the effect that they have recieved your deposit. I sent mine certified mail and someone picked it up b/c I got the card back showing someone signed for it. However I haven't heard anything from them or have not seen a $1500 decrease in my checking account. Do you think I should call them? Theyve had it for about a week now and the last day deposits are accepted (for my acceptance batch) is the 20th. Im just a little nervous about it.

I drove to school and hand delivered the deposit to them. Still gotta check if they took the money or not!

dude11 said:
I drove to school and hand delivered the deposit to them. Still gotta check if they took the money or not!

I called them up today, They said they have everything and should be cashing the check soon. :cool:

-What I want from them is a username and password for the website so I can look at the Apt. Rental board on the NYCOM website. **I may be in the Market for a roommate(s), if anyone is interested in finding out more about me let me know** In my undergraduate career I got along with every roomate I lived with (only 4 total, except for my semester in Australia where i lived in a flat with 5 foreigners, i got along with all them too.). I am a clean and real easy going 22yr old male.

Mike2010 said:
I called them up today, They said they have everything and should be cashing the check soon. :cool:

-What I want from them is a username and password for the website so I can look at the Apt. Rental board on the NYCOM website. **I may be in the Market for a roommate(s), if anyone is interested in finding out more about me let me know** In my undergraduate career I got along with every roomate I lived with (only 4 total, except for my semester in Australia where i lived in a flat with 5 foreigners, i got along with all them too.). I am a clean and real easy going 22yr old male.

I spoke to Joanne in admissions yesterday. Here is the deal... letters stating that they have received your deposit and confirmed your seat were mailed out yesterday. They cannot deposit the checks for a little while because they need an IT person to set up a few things in the computer that will allow the bursar to set up personal bursar accounts for the new class of students. Your bank account will not show a decrease for a while, but you should have a confirmation letter in hand within the next few days. NYCOM does not hold housing days for students to meet with any representatives of real estate offices or housing complexes (or each other for that matter). Joanne said your best bet is to find current students that are leaving their apartments via this website or coming to campus, talking to real estate broker, driving around the local areas and putting your name in at apartment complexes, and watching the local papers, like Newsday. We will not have access to the webboard where people post the need for a roommate or housing they are giving up until March or April, if the past predicts the future. Last year, it was not until late March. We should keep each other informed of roommates wanted and housing information we find here on this thread if we are going to get anywhere with the housing situation early on. However, late March is still not too late to find an apartment for July. Glen Cove is a large town with plenty of housing and is close to campus, as is Roslyn Heights, Port Jefferson, Oyster Bay, Hempstead, West Hempstead, etc. Good luck, and yes, I was accepted to NYCOM and am definitely attending, to answer HunterGatherer's question. I am a 23 yr old female in NJ finishing my Master's at UMDNJ.

I noticed alot of housing questions on the thread. I'm working in the real estate industry now before orientation is August, so if anyone has any questions about the market, housing, or renting in Nassau County private message me and I'll get right back to you. Congratulations again!

shenningdo said:
I spoke to Joanne in admissions yesterday. Here is the deal... letters stating that they have received your deposit and confirmed your seat were mailed out yesterday. They cannot deposit the checks for a little while because they need an IT person to set up a few things in the computer that will allow the bursar to set up personal bursar accounts for the new class of students. Your bank account will not show a decrease for a while, but you should have a confirmation letter in hand within the next few days. NYCOM does not hold housing days for students to meet with any representatives of real estate offices or housing complexes (or each other for that matter). Joanne said your best bet is to find current students that are leaving their apartments via this website or coming to campus, talking to real estate broker, driving around the local areas and putting your name in at apartment complexes, and watching the local papers, like Newsday. We will not have access to the webboard where people post the need for a roommate or housing they are giving up until March or April, if the past predicts the future. Last year, it was not until late March. We should keep each other informed of roommates wanted and housing information we find here on this thread if we are going to get anywhere with the housing situation early on. However, late March is still not too late to find an apartment for July. Glen Cove is a large town with plenty of housing and is close to campus, as is Roslyn Heights, Port Jefferson, Oyster Bay, Hempstead, West Hempstead, etc. Good luck, and yes, I was accepted to NYCOM and am definitely attending, to answer HunterGatherer's question. I am a 23 yr old female in NJ finishing my Master's at UMDNJ.

Hey guys my Name is Yakov and I'm a 22 yr. old College Senior @University of Rochester from Kingston, NY. I found out I was accepted 2 days ago to NYCOM!!!!!....This schol is at the top of my list, but there are still a few acceptances to mull over so I cannot ssay yet that I'm officially going, but it is sure looking that way. I'm filling out FAFSA right now, and had a question fore anyone willing to listen:

I have been a fulltime college student last year and during the summer and winter break I volunteered and interned. Sooo I have no income. Does that mean I will not file a W-2 and don't need to worry about that section of the FAFSA? Or are there other factors that will force me to file and make estimates on FAFSA about my W-2? Also I heard that since were being treated as independants, Parental info can be left blank. My parents have substantial income, but won't be involved at all in paying for medical school, so I prolly shouldnt fill that optional section out. This is what I have heard from others. Yet the FAFSA states that if you're in Health professions etc. it is in your best interest? which is correct any ideas?

Kak Dela?

Do you still have that Financial aid packet?

If you plan to pay for everything(housing,tuition,etc.) with just grants, stafford loans, perkins loans, and private loans then you do not need to enter parental info.

All title VII loans need parent info regardless of student age/marital status.
Scholarship for Disadvantage students
Loans for Disadvantaged students
Primary Care Loan
Maybe there are others but those were on the list.

yasha83 said:
My parents have substantial income, but won't be involved at all in paying for medical school, so I prolly shouldnt fill that optional section out. This is what I have heard from others. Yet the FAFSA states that if you're in Health professions etc. it is in your best interest? which is correct any ideas?

HunterGatherer said:
So who is already accepted and definitely going to NYCOM?
dude11
Mike 2010
immunograd
*shenningdo

* - confirmed

I'm still not sure if I'm going to NYCOM.

sposiba Hunter;

- I guess no titel VII loans for me, Title VI seems like the best way to go then, sans parent info. I still wonder tho if I need to file a W-2..seems like that would require a job in the first place...maybe?...

pahzhalusta.

A w-2 form is something you fill out when you start a job. Come tax time all the jobs you had for that tax year will send you a w-2 form to show the taxes you owe and tax withheld based on earnings and deductions claimed.

If you did not work at all in 2005 then you don't have w-2 forms.

Some situations you will not have w-2's when working such as the self-employed.

Call financial aid if you need further clarification.

yasha83 said:
sposiba Hunter;

- I guess no titel VII loans for me, Title VI seems like the best way to go then, sans parent info. I still wonder tho if I need to file a W-2..seems like that would require a job in the first place...maybe?...

What are the gyms that NYCOM students go to for workouts? Anything in the nearby neighborhoods with deals for NYCOM students? Any of them have personal trainers? Thanks!

HunterGatherer said:
What are the gyms that NYCOM students go to for workouts? Anything in the nearby neighborhoods with deals for NYCOM students? Any of them have personal trainers? Thanks!

Its been said that you have access to the General NYIT gym on campus which is bigger/better than the NYCOM one, not sure about the surrounding area though

LA Fitness, located in New Hyde Park, close and cheap at $49 and open 24 hours a day during the week.

Hey everyone,

I just received my confirmation letter from NYCOM that they got my deposit. Looks like I'll be NYCOM class of 2010!

SF83 said:
Hey everyone,

I just received my confirmation letter from NYCOM that they got my deposit. Looks like I'll be NYCOM class of 2010!

Congratulations! There are a few of us on here that have been e-mailing and talking on AIM to get to know one another and share information about NYCOM. Keep in touch!

Hey everyone! It's official- I'll see you all in class in August!
I'm a native Long Islander living in Manhattan for the year so I have plenty of info about the area that may be of assistance. I look forward to chatting & getting to know you!!

Congrats!

when was your interview and when did you get the letter?

Dahlia said:
Hey everyone! It's official- I'll see you all in class in August!
I'm a native Long Islander living in Manhattan for the year so I have plenty of info about the area that may be of assistance. I look forward to chatting & getting to know you!!

Hey, I interviewed Dec. 15 and received acceptance letter in mail Dec. 29 (dated Dec. 23). (if i may, why do u ask? I thought you were in the class?)
Today I called admissions to confirm receipt of my deposit since I did not get the mailed confirmation yet. Still waiting to hear from 5 other schools for an interview or, 'decline', but at this point-- I'm a NYCOM'er !! It was always a top choice for me. Nothign left to do now but start applying for financial aid.

HunterGatherer said:
Congrats!

when was your interview and when did you get the letter?

I interviewed 1/4. I'm hoping to get an acceptance letter in the next couple of weeks and thought we may have interviewed around the same time. Thanks for getting back to me. I can go workout now. :D

Dahlia said:
Hey, I interviewed Dec. 15 and received acceptance letter in mail Dec. 29 (dated Dec. 23). (if i may, why do u ask? I thought you were in the class?)
Today I called admissions to confirm receipt of my deposit since I did not get the mailed confirmation yet. Still waiting to hear from 5 other schools for an interview or, 'decline', but at this point-- I'm a NYCOM'er !! It was always a top choice for me. Nothign left to do now but start applying for financial aid.

Dahlia said:

Hey Dahlia, I also interviewed on the 15th, maybe we met, were you in the morning session by any chance? I'd like to think I remember a few people from that group

Well, its official! I'M going to NYCOM! Class of 2010 rocks!

It took some serious deliberating, and NYCOM was my #1 school all along, yet the difference in cost made another school very appealing. Yet, when it all came down to it, I believe the quality of education, fantastic residency matching and amazing facilities really sold me and I believe will be worth more to me in the long run then the cost difference between my other options. Sooooooo jacked up to be attending my top choice!!!!!!!!!!!

Now that I have decided I would like to get in touch with all/any of you who would care to meet your future classmates to discuss housing, life on LI, and the upcoming process of acclimating ourselves to our school. Shenningdo, any chance I could get on that contact list of yours? PM me wiht any details.

HunterGatherer said:
I interviewed 1/4. I'm hoping to get an acceptance letter in the next couple of weeks and thought we may have interviewed around the same time. Thanks for getting back to me. I can go workout now. :D

I interviewed a week after you. I was told that the adcom had met and that the letters would be coming soon. How soon?....I have no idea. But I would assume it will be by the end of the week.

Good luck

Hi All Current and Future NCYOMers of 2010!

I just wanted to let you all know that I am compiling a list of names, email addresses and screennames of any Class of 2010 students who have committed to going. It started with a few people that personally got in contact with me, and now it is growing. If you want to be included (AND you do not mind your information being given to your future classmates), pm me your information, I will add you to the list, and then I will send you the updated list. This is in an attempt for some of us to get to know each other before school starts, share housing information as soon as it comes in, share any information we can about financial aid, health insurance, etc., and to maybe meet before classes start.

I hope this finds you all well and excited!

Hey, congrads on your acceptances. I have a question I am hoping someone can answer.I had my interview with NYCOM on the 15th of Dec and at that time they told me that I could expect an answer by 2-3rd week of Jan. I spoke to the admission department today and they told me that their committe will meet next week and I can hope to hear by two weeks from now. I realize that some people with the same interview date as mine have already recieved acceptances. Does anyone know if this is a bad harbinger or they are just backed up with the interviews? Has anyone recieved an invitation that has interivewd after me?

Hi All!! I'm definitely going to NYCOM!! I'm looking forward to talking to people, and I'm on shenningdo's list, so feel free to im me when she sends it out. I will be looking for a roommate, and housing as well! My name is Kate and I'm 22, and from upstate NY (Albany areay).

Hey, congrads on your acceptance. I interviewd on the same day as you did, Dec 15th of last year and have not yet recieved a response from the school. I spoke to the admissions people today and they said The admissions comitee is meeting next week and I can hope to hear from them in two weeks. Do you know if anyone else that interviewd the same day as us recieved a response? Do you know if them not having responded to me yet indicates that they simply didnt get to me yet?

Just wondering if anyone else who has confirmed intereviewed w/ me. Nov 30, afternoon.

Hey all-
I'm a first year student now..if you have any questions PM me and I'll answer...

see you all next year!

KateGia said:
Just wondering if anyone else who has confirmed intereviewed w/ me. Nov 30, afternoon.

Hey KateGia

I interviewed the same time as you. I was the second to last person to go in for an interview (I had the man not the woman). I was the one from Brooklyn.

I KNOW i've seen a match list for NYCOM here before... but I can't find the thread and the search doesn't work too great - any help?

Hi everyone! My name is Julie and I'll be attending NYCOM this fall. Anyone planning on living in an apartment near school?

Hope to talk to you guys/see you guys!! :p

Got the letter today...I'm in!!!

See everyone in August!!!

Hi everyone, Congrads!!!

I have an interview at NYCOM on 2/2/06. I have been playing phone tag with a D.O. for a chance to shadow him and for a LOR. I am not sure I will be able to see him before my interview, so here's my question; was anyone accepted with out a letter from a D.O.?

If you are free Jan 30th/31st you may be able to get it from somewhere else. PM me if you feel your source is unreliable. Hopefully someone responds to reassure you that a DO letter is uneeded.

Jack-sprat said:
Hi everyone, Congrads!!!

I have an interview at NYCOM on 2/2/06. I have been playing phone tag with a D.O. for a chance to shadow him and for a LOR. I am not sure I will be able to see him before my interview, so here's my question; was anyone accepted with out a letter from a D.O.?

ME:
35yo married male
6yo son that I like to beat in gamecube games and basketball! Tough love!
:smuggrin:
graduating in June with BA Biochem
personal trainer. Passed the CSCS exam and waiting for full certification after proof of graduation with BA.
live in Forest Hills and will stay here throughout school if matriculating to NYCOM

Got a somewhat thick letter in the mail today. I'm accepted.

Don't worry if you call and they don't want to tell you anything. I called 1/27 and was told "we can't say anything over the phone but something was mailed out around 1/23". I think this SOP.

By Monday I will decide on NYCOM vs UMDNJSOM. I will add my name to the AOL chat list if I decide to matriculate to NYCOM. My interview process is over!

Status
Not open for further replies.