Official OB Anesthesia Fellowship Application Thread 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

H3AL

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
No hate! Just want a safe space for those interested

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
What programs are considered OB powerhouse in terms of training?

Trying to get in here before this thread becomes a group of people hating on non-pain/cardiac/icu fellowships. Happy to answer questions if you want to PM me about specific programs.

It all depends on what you would like out of your fellowship. There are only a handful of OB powerhouses that put out most of the research. This is where you want to be if you plan to be an academic doing research and getting grants afterwards. A majority of fellowships will get you great training as long as they have the numbers. Doesn't matter how many healthy deliveries they do because who doesn't graduate from residency being proficient with spinals/epidurals. You want a program that has a well developed MFM department because they will get all the complicated referrals. You also want to make sure you get good cardiac exposure (whether you are co-managing with our CT colleagues or not, you want to be involved in these cases). Fetal cases are great but not at all necessary if you aren't planning on working at one of the few programs that do them. As with all fellowships, location is pivotal. If you are doing it to get a certain job in city A then you should do it at a program that best opens doors there whether it has the biggest name or not. It all comes down to your end goal. Most programs offer fantastic lifestyles and a great group of people in the department.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
We are equal opportunity haters. We hate almost all fellowships equally nowadays, simply because most have become a royal waste of money.

That being said, if one is passionate about OB, one should go to one of the big centers which deal with a lot of complicated cases. Otherwise, your fellowship will be just one more useless year of residency.

Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: 1 user
No hate! Just want a safe space for those interested
Trigger warning: there are no safe spaces on this section. Get out while you can, before your feelings get hurt, you glorified super-CRNA who only profits from this forum. :p

I think I’m detecting some micro-aggressions.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users