Official: Ohio State University College of Medicine class of 2007 thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Horseradish99

Old World Primate
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Upon the suggestion of carmenrosie, I decided to open up the official Ohio State University College of Medicine class of 2007 thread!

Where are my 200-some classmates?

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Members don't see this ad.

Though I haven't "officially" made the decision, I have a gut feeling that this is where I'll be come August.

Two down, 208 to go...

ok, we're getting closer to the 15th... Anyone, anyone? Bueller?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else get the summer pre-entry email? I haven't been in a school for a year and before that I was in businness school so its been awhile since I've seen my sciences - i wonder if its worth it or if I would be better off just reading up abit on my own this summer....

yeah, I thought about it for a few seconds. But the earlier I quit work, the less cash I'll have going in to school. Pretty shallow, but that's how I'm looking at it right now.

I read Scientific American during my workouts. I'm counting on this to keep my mind thinking of high-level concepts in the meantime. Plus, it's a helluvalot more engaging for me than People or "better abs in 5 min" articles. I've also toyed with flipping through my Kaplan bio guide just because freshman bio was the only bio I ever took. We'll see if that actually happens...

Hey everyone!

Thanks for brining up this thread.

I'm looking for a place right now in Columbus. Hopefully, I can move in the first week of August.

See you all soon!!

--I don't think I am going to do the summer thing, are many of you?

Originally posted by mellotron
yeah, I thought about it for a few seconds. But the earlier I quit work, the less cash I'll have going in to school. Pretty shallow, but that's how I'm looking at it right now.

I read Scientific American during my workouts. I'm counting on this to keep my mind thinking of high-level concepts in the meantime. Plus, it's a helluvalot more engaging for me than People or "better abs in 5 min" articles. I've also toyed with flipping through my Kaplan bio guide just because freshman bio was the only bio I ever took. We'll see if that actually happens...

I've tried reading while running. Didn't work out too well for me. All the sweating just made the magazine slip from my hands, and people on the trails looked at me funny. And until I can get Fab Abs in FOUR minutes, I'm not interested. That extra minute is highly useful.

I've already decided against the pre-entry. The work money is worth it, I can always just pull out the Kaplan stuff too. Teacher Editions no less, colorcoded and everything.

Now comes the issue of not being able to look for a place until July...if you meet a fellow student living in a cardboard box, that would be me.

Hey guys,

I'm here in Columbus for the summer working at OSU doing the 9-5 thing... so I'm always around if you need a futon to crash on for a night while you are here looking for apartments! Or if you just want to get together for lunch or dinner or get a Columbus tour, I'm bored and have nothing better to do!

:) Can't wait for school to start.

scott

loyen, call me naive, but you gotta use ;) and :laugh: so I know whether you're serious when you talk about running outside with a magazine in your hands!

i look forward to school, but I dread the thought of moving. I checked out the well advertised type apartments a few weeks ago. They were all great, but they're all intended for young professionals with incomes. I'm really kinda scratching my head on how to make things fit into the allotted budget. I'm thinking the whole "for rent sign in the front yard" type place near campus might be more reasonable.

horseradish, mind sharing your housing search experiences?

My housing search was not hard, but as a result, I'm going to pay for it. I'll be living with two undergrad friends of mine on east 12th (not the greatest area for a med student to live). They did all the work in finding the place. This summer however, I'm living within a 3 minute walk from the med school but have no reason to walk over there (irony) since I'm working at a different lab.

As far as finding a place, I know a lot of happy grad students at University Village (a complex -- universityvillage.com). I also know that the southwest area of campus are pretty nice and good places for med students to live. Check out thelantern.com classifieds for available fall apartments. You might find some great places... call people and ask them to send you pictures of the apartment if they have it, or if you can schedule a visit or something, even better.

Sorry for the lack of real help! But if you find a great place, you can remember me come fall when I'll be dealing with obnoxious undergrad keg parties because I was too lazy to look for other housing :)

scott

I started to look for a place too and have spoke to a lot of people about where to live.

West of High Street is a good place to look if you are a grad student.

A lot of grad students live in the Victorian Village area (in houses that have been converted to apartments). The best thing to do (I heard) is to go to Columbus for a few days and look...it's harder to do long distance.

If the thought of living amongst tons of students bothers you, then you can call some of the apartment complexes listed in our orientation packet. Also, you can call for a Columbus apartment guide (don't have the # in front of me).

Good luck!

I am pretty psyched about how inexpensive Ohio State is going to be...anything I find there is going to seem ridiculously cheap compared to where I've lived before:
Mountain View, CA
Russian Hill, San Francisco, CA
Bryn Mawr, PA
University City, Philadelphia, PA

How cool is the wireless internet in Meiling Hall; I don't know if I'm going to give into their demand to get a Windows laptop (MacOS X is just far better), but it's nice to see the technology boost they're giving the curriculum.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Horseradish99
My housing search was not hard, but as a result, I'm going to pay for it. I'll be living with two undergrad friends of mine on east 12th (not the greatest area for a med student to live). They did all the work in finding the place. This summer however, I'm living within a 3 minute walk from the med school but have no reason to walk over there (irony) since I'm working at a different lab.

As far as finding a place, I know a lot of happy grad students at University Village (a complex -- universityvillage.com). I also know that the southwest area of campus are pretty nice and good places for med students to live. Check out thelantern.com classifieds for available fall apartments. You might find some great places... call people and ask them to send you pictures of the apartment if they have it, or if you can schedule a visit or something, even better.

Sorry for the lack of real help! But if you find a great place, you can remember me come fall when I'll be dealing with obnoxious undergrad keg parties because I was too lazy to look for other housing :)

scott

:laugh: :laugh: Stuck on E. 12th???? I lived at #90 for two years. Oh my GOD, it sucked!!! If the couch burning and car tippings over weren't enough, when the cops decided to get sassy and tear gas the crowds, the gas went straight into the houses and forced evacuations!!! Also, when there are big events going on on campus, the police will arrive with "No Parking" signs at 7:00 in the evening and start towing at 7:00 the next morning - woe betide those who were sleeping elsewhere that night! It's expensive to get the car out of hock. But hey, it was cheap, and I was poor. And really, after football season you forget all about the above crap so it's not so bad Jan-Aug.

I've got to say (from experience, thank you) that South campus, nearer to the med school, is much nicer and safer. The south campus/Victorian area is really pretty. It's easiest to go down the street and write down phone numbers when looking for places.

Also, I spent a summer living at University Villiage and it was ok: quiet, clean, yet utterly without character. Many foreign students and new out-of-town grad students lived there so the atmosphere was decidedly academic. One problem was that the transit bus ran on a truncated schedule on the weekends and during the summer. Maybe this has been changed since I left?

If you're interested in a less student-oriented area, try Grandview or one of the other small townships farther north or west of campus. They can be more picturesque but more expensive as well. Also, make sure you're close to a good bus line - I'm sure you've already heard that parking is at a premium on campus.

Cheers to all of you new buckeyes! Have fun in Columbus - I did!

Originally posted by mellotron
loyen, call me naive, but you gotta use ;) and :laugh: so I know whether you're serious when you talk about running outside with a magazine in your hands!

Running with magazine - :laugh:

Has any tried the off-campus housing website to scout for places? It looks like local landlords, not just big complexes, and some even specify "Grad students only please", which wouldn't be bad as long as it didn't turn into a library all the time.
Still trying to get a weekend when I can actually just go down and check stuff out....

Any word on when they want deposits?

holy crap, it turns out thelantern.com is actually pretty darn helpful, housing-wise! I'm used to my undergrad school's useless rag, so I didn't have very high expectations for this one. Definitely worth checking out.

Originally posted by xaelia

How cool is the wireless internet in Meiling Hall; I don't know if I'm going to give into their demand to get a Windows laptop (MacOS X is just far better), but it's nice to see the technology boost they're giving the curriculum.

Yes, wireless internet = cool, but has anyone else looked into buying a new laptop? I went to the IT website to look at their recommendations and HOLY FREAKIN' EXPENSIVE COMPUTER! I mean, I knew I need to buy a new computer but yeesh...anyone found a good one at a reasonable price?

Anyone started shopping seriously for a laptop? I'm definitely a neophyte in the details of computer shopping... But can anyone tell me why IBM has about 30 friggin models of laptops? Plus, the website has only details on a handful of them. Not to mention only a few really fit into the $1800 budget they've given us. I have to buy a printer, too. So I'm figuring at $1800 will get me a $100 printer and $1500 computer, plus tax.

Frankly, I got so frustrated with the disorganization of the Dell & IBM sites through OSU that I've started browsing the Best Buy/Circuit City selections. In particular, with rebates the HP 5375 is ~$1300. Throw in $100 for a 40->60 GB harddrive updgrade (necessary?) and we're right in the ballpark. Any reason NOT to go the Best Buy route?

My uncle is buying me some sort of Dell laptop... I'm thankful he's picking it out. I sent him the recommendations and requirements, and he's doing all the work.

I'm starting to get nervous about the idea of having internet during lectures... I foresee games, AIM, email... haha.

:) maybe i'll learn to grow up before then!

scott

Spoke to a friend who's a med student at OSU right now about the complexes listed in the orientation packet. Useful info for those that know nothing about Columbus (like me):

Olentangy Commons, Governours Sq, Fox&Hound are all across the street from each other, bout a 10 minute drive from campus. Pricier, but new, fancy, and popular with med students.

The Quarry, Arbors, Runaway Bay are also across the street from each other (or close). "downtown" with restaurants and bars, prices range from not too bad to take-another-loan.

NOT recommended were Thurber Manor, Colony Club, University Village (either too hood or too library-esque).

Cheaper, but therefore older and more upkeep needed, can be found through thelantern.com and the websites located in the classfieds.

Hopefully this is helpful to someone besides clueless ole me.

loyen, I'd say that sounds about right. There's also the Meridian which is really close to campus, but costs a pretty penny.

Also, the university is constructing some new dorms on Neil Ave right across the street from the med school. I've heard through word of mouth that they're going for $580/month for a studio with all utilities. They should be pretty nice, they're being built for honors students, professional students, and athletes. I think they'll be open in August, but I'm not certain of that.

My personal recommendation is to find some place south of campus within walking distance. If you have to drive to class every day, your parking options are pretty slim:
-The gravel pit on Cannon Drive. It's usually not too hard to find a spot, but the potholes in the winter and huge lakes that form in the rain are just plain awful. Your car will hate you for parking it there.
-The Buckeye Lot off of Ackerman, north of the Schottenstein Center. It's a huge, paved lot, but who wants to drive 10 minutes to campus just to ride a 10 minute shuttle to get to class? Also, it's cheaper to get a parking pass for the Buckeye Lot (a CX pass) than it is to get a regular C pass but your parking options limited to the Buckeye Lot.

For more info about parking:
OSU Transportation and Parking

on a completely different note, by 11 am tomorrow I'll be a freshly minted Med II:D

I will be up in Columbus all day Friday looking for a place; hoping to find something within walking distance, but we shall see...basically never been to Ohio State except for my interview last fall.

I noticed that the orientation is in mid-August, but I haven't received anything that states an official start date for classes and such. Since OSU is on the quarter system, does this mean that classes start in late September? Or immediately after orientation? I figure I can call the office, but I'm fairly sure I'd get a response faster this way, being that it is the weekend. Thanks in advance.

bcdnw,

you should have gotten an email with info about orientation and such... in that email are some links. One of them is the academic calendar.

Classes begin on the 18th of August-- weird, my gf who will be starting vet school, doesn't start her classes until the rest of OSU starts in late Sept, but for whatever reason, we start a month early.

We get a few holidays off (yay)-- get out for winter break Dec 22nd, come back Jan 5th, get out for spring break March 22-29th, get out for our only summer off on June 14th, and then return to start year two on August 16th.

:) whoo fun

scott

Mellotron and I were both up looking at apartments on Friday, and that was interesting. We each called a variety of listings out of The Lantern, and they were uniformly shades of awful. I was looking for something within walking distance on the south end of campus - either my expectations of how much $450-$500 would buy were out-of-whack, or everything good in that price range was taken long ago.

Since I was on a tight schedule and basically had to find a place to live by the end of the day, I ended up at the Meridian. It's not cheap, but it's not stupidly expensive, and it has its perks....

i went looking for an apartment on thursday and friday and i found the admissions office at the med school to be really helpful. They gave me a map of columbus and a bunch of different flyers on the apt complexes. They told me what areas to stay away from and the most popular areas that med students live in. They also have a binder with student surveys about teh different areas/apt complexes. so if you're in the area check that out because they have lots of info on landlords and maintenance and stuff like that. If you're still looking you may want to go to a grocery store or a bank and pick up an apt guide. For Rent is a good one!! They even have a website.. it's forrent.com.

i found out right away that i'm very late in looking for an apt!!! everything that was reasonably priced has for the most part been taken. other places have apts available beginning in midseptember or have long waitlists. So i think i'm going to end up at a very expensive place. o well i'll have to suck it up for now and then move next year.

Anyone getting excited about starting school?? well how excited can you get about starting medical school..but i'm looking forward to meeting all of you and the rest of our classmates! Have a great summer everyone!

See, living proof that humans work great against deadlines, and without them we just sort of drift. xaelia stood to waste a good deal of money if he boarded his plane w/o a signed lease. Result - signed lease, great place, walking distance.

Me, I'm in cincy, so weekend jaunts are easy. My expectations were to browse the scene and see what's up. Result - no lease, bruised psyche, and lots of worries about $$ and hot-plate dinners.

Went back this weekend with clear objectives. Result - signed lease, great place, walking distance. Luckily, I'm too tired of the process to worry about money...

So yes, I too will be at the Meridian. 3rd floor. Anyone want to help me move in? (no elevators...)

As for waitlists for the fall, be sure to ask about early move ins. My lease will actually begin July 11, which is a waste because I won't be there. However, as part of their special, Aug. is free and Sept. is $300 off. So, money-wise it's actually better than moving Aug. 1.

Heh, nice work on the special; when I was there, I had to move in by June 20th to get it. That would basically have gotten me nothing out of it, so I'm just starting August 1st. I have a feeling a lot of medical students are going to end up at The Meridian with that deal and its proximity to the school. At least I won't be killing my Dad just moving to the 2nd floor. Which building are you in? My "Ultimate" apartment, I think, was 1823 Aschlinger....

Does anyone have any information on our curriculum? All the Med1 links are for 2002-2003; I really wish I had some idea what our daily schedule would be like....

I'll be at 1611 in a "vista" (smallest 1br, but man, those 10ft ceilings definitely give a big feel to it. plus, quite a walk-in closet that all guys will have trouble filling!) It's right above the leasing office with a balcony facing inward (great downtown view :rolleyes: ). I tried to think if there was any reason NOT to live above the leasing office, but couldn't so it must not be a big deal. Different than living above your landlord or parents I guess. The odd number means West buildings (whereas the pools and garages are East). Other than that, I'm not really sure where you are.

Wow, I must be the only person who didn't find a place to live yet. But I'm DETERMINED to finally put a deposit down someplace this weekend. I really wanted walking distance and pretty disappointed as to what they had left...oh well, theres always the "cardboard box on the side of the road" plan.

Yes, I'm off to see the Meridian this weekend. Especially after looking at the informative info link. "garden stlye baths"....there are vines? Tomato plants? Its also good to see a complex with W/D in unit. Or at least hookups. Thats my one luxury.

The Meridian. My new home sweet home.

I went back, looked around, and the Meridian it is. As soon as I send the check in (and it clears!) I'll be Building seven, the closest to King, in a convienent first floor. I'm moving in nice and early (mid July) since thats when my current lease is over. If anybodys wants to help a gal push around a couch, let me know!

Welcome! We'll have to organize something to break in our new places!

So who all on this board is still heading to Ohio State? My list is:
Horseradish99
mellotron
loyen
MD07
bcdnw
daisygirl425
xaelia

Where are the rest of y'all living? mellotron, loyen and I will all be slumming at the Meridian - only two swimming pools - and I'm sure there are even more folks we don't know about there...so maybe that'll end up being a home base of sorts for the social life. I'll be moving out there the weekend before orientation; can't wait to meet the rest of you.

Since most likely I'll be the first to move in, I'll take on the responsibility of determining which pool has the most pleasing temperature. It's a tough job, but somebody has to do it...
I will also include a full hot tub report, with and without frosty beverage.
And can I just say that having an Irish bar in stumbling distance of the building is pretty much the ultimate apartment accessory for me?

I assume you're referring to Brazenhead, which totally rocks.

That place is definitely a lot of fun, and with nice weather, the outdoor seating is cool.

As far as where I'm living, right now I'm on King Avenue and Belmont, right near the med school...but that will only be until Sept., when I will be homeless for about three weeks and sleeping on a friend's couch until my new lease starts in late Sept., when I will sadly move to the dark side (East 11th).

The Meridian looks pretty nice-- invite me over! :)

Scott

Ok, we'll invite you over, but please be understanding that there might be a cover charge involved. Nothing against you, Scott :) But we've got rent to pay!

Two covers - one per pool. Frosty beverage not included.

don't forget to buy your football tickets!!

even if you don't like football, buy them anyway. they're very easy to sell. Also, make sure you get a ticket to the washington game (first game of the year).

It will still be warm since the game is in august, but it won't be too hot because it's a night game. Night games don't happen too often around here :D

GO BUCKS!!!!

p.s. the michigan game is being played in ann arbor this year. The directions to ann arbor are pretty simple:
head north until you smell it and west until you step in it.

I received a brochure in the mail about a month ago outlining the ticket buying process. At any rate, it's quickest to go straight to the website:
www.hangonsloopy.com

there, they are selling the non-conf. games individually, and the 4 big ten games as a package. don't select the "O-block" section unless you want to hold up signs the whole game.

good luck.

I did not get said ticket information, and I can't seem to register on that website for tickets. Did that work for everybody else?
which is causing me to have slight palpitations that something is amiss with my records.

And another question - the last email I got was the "message from the orientation coordinators" bout two weks ago, and nothing since then. Have I missed out on something there too? I got the impression from that email that another would be coming shortly, but nada....

Originally posted by xaelia
Aha. Anyone in a group for the Washington game?

Should we try to organize a "group"? I plan on getting the tickets, but is "Block O" really that bad? I would figure that those students would be more knowledgable and passionate about the game. I haven't been to an OSU game since Joe Germaine hit Davis Boston for an easy score against Arizona State.

Originally posted by loyen
And another question - the last email I got was the "message from the orientation coordinators" bout two weks ago, and nothing since then. Have I missed out on something there too? I got the impression from that email that another would be coming shortly, but nada....

Was this a letter from the orientation coordinators (i think there are 4 or 5 of them) or was it from your orientation group leaders (2 leaders per group)? I'm a group leader and they had us write letters to our group which we submitted to the coordinators about a month ago when school ended. Perhaps they haven't assigned you to orientation groups yet, but you should be getting one of those letters sometime soon.

You guys must get football tickets! :) You should also organize a group, it's super easy to do and you get to sit together all season.

Block O is fun times, but it does involve holding up signs and standing the entire game...then during timeouts or other sit down times everyone races to sit as they cram more people into the area than the seats can hold; so it's cramped and crowded. It has it's advantages and disadvantages, I've sat in both Block O and regular seats at the games, you can't go wrong with either, it's going to be an amazing experience no matter what, but it does get annoying to stand the entire game and be cramped. My season tickets for this season are in regular seats.

Make sure you get there early too, to watch the Best Damn Band in The Land do Script Ohio, and make sure you stay after the game too to sing Carmen Ohio, the alma mater with the team! :D

The last e-mail I received from OSU was from the Admissions Coordinators on June 26th.

I registered for my OSU e-mail address, which is why I think I was able to get into the student football tickets system. If you haven't done that yet, that's my best guess why you weren't able to get in.

I don't know which games I'd want to go to (or eventually have time to go to), but I suppose if we formed a group and just got tickets for all the games, I'm sure any games we didn't want to go to our classmates who aren't so well-informed about the ticket buying procedures would be happy to go together.

As for the band, nothing compares to The Leland Stanford Junior University Marching Band. They're still banned from Notre Dame and the state of Oregon last I heard.... :rolleyes:

I haven't received an e-mail from any coordinators, to my knowledge. I also had not registered for an osu e-mail address, but when I entered my SS# into hangonsloopy.com, it gave me one and let me purchase tickets.

And to call the LSJMB an actual marching band is an insult to marching bands everywhere. Did you forget the airline(s) that they are also banned from?:laugh: