*** Official OMS 2018 Match Results***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This will be different from program to program. Just shoot for as high as you can.

I get that there's no perfect/exact science to this, but I'm mainly asking because I tried asking my coordinator about class ranks/standings, and my school doesn't do them. So how would I be judged/know how I "compare" (wrong word to use I know - but I can't think of another better one) or what I should do?

Members don't see this ad.

I get that there's no perfect/exact science to this, but I'm mainly asking because I tried asking my coordinator about class ranks/standings, and my school doesn't do them. So how would I be judged/know how I "compare" (wrong word to use I know - but I can't think of another better one) or what I should do?

No class rankings? That’s good.

Spend extra time to crush the CBSE and stack your CV with cool things.

Reactions: 1 user
My school doesn't rank but we do get a gpa and I've heard (though they aren't very clear) that they report our gpa to residency programs AND the high and low gpa in the class. So this is sort of a rank, but definitely not a rank at the same time.

Any idea how a gpa might be viewed in this case? I keep hearing that gpa is not a good way to judge a potential resident, but in this case perhaps gpa becomes more important?

Members don't see this ad :)
No class rankings? That’s good.

Spend extra time to crush the CBSE and stack your CV with cool things.

Thanks, I'll definitely plan to do that - though I do want to maintain a high GPA as my school isn't pass/fail.

My school doesn't rank but we do get a gpa and I've heard (though they aren't very clear) that they report our gpa to residency programs AND the high and low gpa in the class. So this is sort of a rank, but definitely not a rank at the same time.

Any idea how a gpa might be viewed in this case? I keep hearing that gpa is not a good way to judge a potential resident, but in this case perhaps gpa becomes more important?

Same with my school - we get GPAs as well, but it's weird, they have ECTS points, but don't count , so I'm not sure how it would be for the applications.

I had no class rank either. Makes it nice since all you have to worry about is the CBSE. If you have a good CBSE score, decent resume, and good letters, then you will likely get interviews. If you don't act a fool on the interview, then the programs will rank you based off your CBSE, resume, and interviews haha. Also, remember that you are usually compared to the programs other interviewees - they do not compare you to your own classmates if they dont have a rank.

Reactions: 1 users
upload_2018-5-15_16-52-30.png

Anyone in this thread willing to share approximate study period, number of hours per day for studying for their CBSE, resources etc.

Anyone in this thread willing to share approximate study period, number of hours per day for studying for their CBSE, resources etc.

6 months total. The first 4 months consisted of casual study (10-14 hours per week) with pathoma, first aid, and sketchy micro. After a couple weeks of review I started UWorld which took much longer than I anticipated. The last month consisted of 10-hour days in the library and being sure to chill-out at night. If doing it again I would spare myself reading First Aid cover-to-cover and instead start UWorld way earlier and crush it twice. Scored upper 70s.

6 months total. The first 4 months consisted of casual study (10-14 hours per week) with pathoma, first aid, and sketchy micro. After a couple weeks of review I started UWorld which took much longer than I anticipated. The last month consisted of 10-hour days in the library and being sure to chill-out at night. If doing it again I would spare myself reading First Aid cover-to-cover and instead start UWorld way earlier and crush it twice. Scored upper 70s.

Did you have a medical school curriculum that helped or was 6 months enough to cover all the extra material that wasn't covered in your curriculum?

Did you have a medical school curriculum that helped or was 6 months enough to cover all the extra material that wasn't covered in your curriculum?

6 months is more than enough time to cover the material without med school curriculum. I wish that I had used Uworld earlier on so that I could have gotten through it more than 1 time too.

Program Matched: Jacksonville
Dental School Attended: Baylor
Year Earned DMD/DDS: 2018
International Student (yes/no): no
NBDE Part I / NBME scores: 82
Class Ranking/Size: 25/110
Externship(s)/where: LSU-NO, Baylor, Jacksonville, Kentucky, LSU-Shreveport
Research: nope
Extracurriculars: not much, just typical stuff to fill up a CV
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked: 18/17/6/6