***Official OMS 2020 Match Results***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This is not true. It's not hard to look at what users post here in this thread and match their home school/residency program with the info on the spreadsheet and thus pair username with real name.

By your eloquent clarification it's also not too difficult to realize that if I choose not to post on this thread, you can't "pair" SDN usernames/realnames and that if I do post on this thread, it's because I chose to do so.

Someone can't just come into a thread an delete something that they disagree with only because they have a "moderator" badge. Since you and @schmoob arbitrarily brought up "TOS", let's talk about that.

SDN Forum policy #5 says:

Protect anonymity. Remember, students, doctors, schools and professional organizations follow the SDN Forums. Please keep your identity protected – don’t post or use your real name on the forums. Additionally, members are not permitted to solicit personally identifiable information from other members (such as through research surveys, etc.) without written permission from SDN or disclose another member’s identity without their written permission.

1- Nobody has posted their name on this thread.
2- Nobody is soliciting identifiable information to any particular SDN members. You could fill out your information in the spreadsheet without an SDN account.
3- Nobody is disclosing another's member identity in this thread. (Nobody saying sdn member X is this person)

The spreadsheet is completely unrelated to SDN. It is a link to a completely different website. if I you post a link to a program's "current residents" website in one of the previous years OMS match results threads, it would be exactly the same. I'm proud of our year for paying back its dues and coming through when posting as we are getting organized more and more each year.

@schmoob it's intresting that this "executive" looks the other way on med school forums where each specialty is organized and are able to know where every upper classman is.

Again, restore the spreadsheet accordingly. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Program Matched: Kentucky
Dental School Attended: UConn
Year Earned DMD/DDS: Hopefully 2020
International Student (yes/no): No
NBME scores: 77
Class Ranking/Size: Unranked
Externship(s)/where: LSU-Shreveport, LSU-New Orleans, UAB, Rutgers, Louisville all one week each
Research: Failed to get published, AAOMS, CSIOMS, ADEA poster presentations
Extracurriculars: Co-president of OMFS Interest Group, ADEA ADCFP Fellowship, service trip, tons of volunteering
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked/Ranked position: 18/13/12/12

Feel free to reach out if you have any questions. I had a lot of help and good advice from people further along in the process than I was along the way, and I believe we're all obligated to return the favor. Good luck to everyone next cycle and congrats to everyone this cycle!
Congrats on reaching the dream! I was trying to PM you but for some reason I couldn't, maybe we can figure that out, cause I may have some questions as I start selecting programs to extern at in the future. But for now, could you tell me what all you used for the CBSE, and how you laid out your study plan? thanks!
Edit: Also, this question goes out to anyone, that is willing to give any CBSE advice or anything OMS related!

Last edited:
Since @Mr.Scalpel has been having such a difficult time staying on topic, he’s on a timeout from this conversation and not allowed to participate.

The topic of the spreadsheet has been addressed and is final. Any further arguing will result in your account being placed on a probationary status.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
from my FB stalking/research:

most of the them are tall muscular dudes from Harvard/Columbia with 80+ CBSE scores and have attractive girlfriends or wives

the perfect OMFS formula. (slightly joking but also this is 90.61% accurate)
Just to give you some relief, there weren’t any tall or muscular dudes from Harvard this year, just Columbia.

Reactions: 4 users
from my FB stalking/research:

most of the them are tall muscular dudes from Harvard/Columbia with 80+ CBSE scores and have attractive girlfriends or wives

the perfect OMFS formula. (slightly joking but also this is 90.61% accurate)

great formula!!!!!

Reactions: 1 user
In an effort to keep accumulating this data, as well as make it more anonymous to report, I have added a form on the website to submit match data. It uploads it immediately to a google sheet to be displayed on the Match Data page. Hope this is helpful and easier for those without accounts or who want to remain relatively anonymous. It is formatted to take information from past applicants as long as they designate their match year if current or past residents would also like to submit.

Bump

Just to clarify a few things. The topic of the spreadsheet was discussed extensively by administrators and moderators. It contained real names and email addresses of people, and unless the poster has explicit, written permission from each person on that document, it is a TOS violation. I doubt that is the case, especially as another user has posted that their information was put up there by someone else. Further, hosting that information on this site opens the site up to liability issues.

Additionally, I'm not sure what was being discussed in regard to the medical school forums. Posts that contain identifying information like real names and emails are removed or edited. I just edited one myself a couple months ago. If you see a post like this that is up on the medical school forums, please report it so we can take a look, because it probably was just missed. Remember that moderators volunteer their time here and are also busy with life, school, practicing medicine, etc.

This will be the last post on this topic, but the administration supported this decision and continues to support it. Further arguing or posting about the spreadsheet will result in moderator action.

Thank you.

Congrats on reaching the dream! I was trying to PM you but for some reason I couldn't, maybe we can figure that out, cause I may have some questions as I start selecting programs to extern at in the future. But for now, could you tell me what all you used for the CBSE, and how you laid out your study plan? thanks!
Edit: Also, this question goes out to anyone, that is willing to give any CBSE advice or anything OMS related!
As far as the CBSE studying goes, everyone will tell you to use UWORLD, First Aid, Pathoma, Sketchy Micro/Pharm, Boards and Beyond etc. I think what's more important is setting a goal in terms of timeline of when you want to take the exam, and staying disciplined with your study schedule. I used the website cramfighter to set up a concrete study schedule to follow. You plug in how many hours you want to study on each day of the week, any days off, practice tests etc and it spits out a daily schedule. It costs money but I couldn't recommend it more, and would spend the money again in a heartbeat.

Talking to an upperclassman at your own school who has taken the exam will be the most help in terms of timing. Good luck!

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I can't believe it actually happened and I can't freaking wait to start.

Reactions: 6 users
Has anyone heard from the UWash post match position?

For the people who matched, congratulations and best of luck.
Now let's talk about the next exam: the OMSITE. How important it is to score high in this test? and what are your insights and plan?

Thanks,

For the people who matched, congratulations and best of luck.
Now let's talk about the next exam: the OMSITE. How important it is to score high in this test? and what are your insights and plan?

Thanks,

All depends on the program. Ask your upper residents and they will be able to help you.

Program Matched: Some North East 6 yr program
Dental School Attended: A very cold north east school
Year Earned DMD/DDS: 2020
NBME scores: 70 plus
Class Ranking/Size: 19/90
Externship(s)/where: LIJ, UIC, UAB, VCU
Research: Nope
Extracurriculars: I watched NBA basketball for 3 years and was apart of an OMFS research club
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked: 38/20/17/15

my advice: Dont sweat the small stuff and be normal on interviews. Be humble and make friends with ppl along the interview trail because you can become boys (or gals) along the way. Dont be a deuche- everyone remembers

Reactions: 15 users
Program Matched: Southeast 4 year program
Dental School Attended: Southeast
Year Earned DMD/DDS: 2019
NBME scores: 61
Class Ranking/Size: 22/75
Externship(s)/where: UNC, MUSC, Emory, Vanderbilt
Internship/where: Southeast
Research: Peer review OMFS related
Extracurriculars: Typical OMFS clubs, volunteer free extraction clinics, and countless time down in OMFS department
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked: 22/9/8/8

Advice: Relentless pursuit

Reactions: 10 users
Program Matched: Southeast 4 year program
Dental School Attended: Southeast
Year Earned DMD/DDS: 2019
NBME scores: 61
Class Ranking/Size: 22/75
Externship(s)/where: UNC, MUSC, Emory, Vanderbilt
Internship/where: Southeast
Research: Peer review OMFS related
Extracurriculars: Typical OMFS clubs, volunteer free extraction clinics, and countless time down in OMFS department
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked: 22/9/8/8

Advice: Relentless pursuit

If you don’t mind me asking. What did you do for the year after graduating DS?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Finally a score not in the 80s and 90s. Thanks for posting haha.

I can assure you that 80's and 90's are not the norm. Average match score will be around a 63. I personally know people who have matched with mid 50's to good programs. I also know people with upper 70s who didn't match. You have to be well balanced.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
I can assure you that 80's and 90's are not the norm. Average match score will be around a 63. I personally know people who have matched with mid 50's to good programs. I also know people with upper 70s who didn't match. You have to be well balanced.

Perhaps with an intern year, maybe. But average's I saw hovered right around 70 +/- 5. Even some with scores in the mid 70's did not get many interviews.

Reactions: 2 users
Perhaps with an intern year, maybe. But average's I saw hovered right around 70 +/- 5. Even some with scores in the mid 70's did not get many interviews.
If you score in the 70s and dont get many interviews, there is definitely something wrong and it has nothing to do with your CBSE score. Almost everyone I know that has scored in the 70s has gotten 10+ interviews. Even people in the 60s have too.

Reactions: 5 users
If you score in the 70s and dont get many interviews, there is definitely something wrong and it has nothing to do with your CBSE score. Almost everyone I know that has scored in the 70s has gotten 10+ interviews. Even people in the 60s have too.

I've been following threads for a while and I'm still curious what the actual numbers are. Obviously try to get as high a score a possible, but some people get on here and say 70 is the cut off with only a few outliers in the 60s or below, and other get on and say the average is actually IN the 60s with some people in the 50s getting in... Would be interesting to see what is actually going on.

average cbse score amongst the interviewees at parkland this year was 82. high scores do matter unless you have a unique application/situation

I've been following threads for a while and I'm still curious what the actual numbers are. Obviously try to get as high a score a possible, but some people get on here and say 70 is the cut off with only a few outliers in the 60s or below, and other get on and say the average is actually IN the 60s with some people in the 50s getting in... Would be interesting to see what is actually going on.

It's interesting because it does seem like the score needed to match is rising but the scores on the cbse seem to average at a 55 (+/- 2) for the last several years. Also the amount of people that apply every year is fairly steady. So you would think the average CBSE score of those that match would be right around the same. Who knows though. It's too bad that they don't release the stats

This year was the highest number of applicants with 22 more than last year and 56 more than 2018.

In my personal observation (which might be worth nothing) through the years, a mid 60 was enough to interview and match until about 3-4 years ago. Today, of about a dozen people I know with sub 70 got about 2-3 interviews at the most, and did not match. Standardized scores (SAT, DAT, MCAT, Step 1) all seem to increase every year, as are CBSE scores. Also, the number of dental students (due to new dental schools and bigger class sizes) keeps increasing at a moderate-high rate, when residency spots increase about 2/year. This creates an oversupply of applicants and obviously competitiveness increases. CBSEs of accepted applicants will definitely continue to increase with time.
Yeah and the average DAT score really hasn't changed much in the last 10 years. It's still around a 20-21, but SDN makes it seem like it's a 24+.

If we assume the average score that matches is in the low 70s (which I think it's lower than that), then obviously you're going to have plenty of people in the 60s match along with plenty of people in the 70s/80s.

Until more schools integrate the medical school-P/F-no class rank-you can spend 2 years doing nothing but studying for the CBSE-curriculum, there's no way the average scores are going to go up as high as you think they are.

Last edited:
Average cbse of accepted applicant will go up. I’m not talking of the average cbse score of all test takers, since that is set on a curve.

Exactly. As more people apply, and as more people take the CBSE earlier in dental school, and as more people take the CBSE multiple times, the average will stay around the same.

But not everyone who takes the CBSE is applying. The average applicant score is going to keep going up while the average score on the CBSE stays the same.

Last edited:
After having gone through the cycle I am suprised to see the necessity of a high score.

I used to be in the “you only need a 65+ boat”. Im not saying that you cant match with a sub 70 score; however, I am saying that if you have below a 70 and have the opportunity to take the CBSE again I would highly encourage it.

Even then, if you want to maximize the schools you get interviews at, I would say a 75+ is necessary in order to be considered at EVERY program.

Let me reiterate Im not saying these are the averages, but I would say you need (obviously exceptions exist)

65+ to feel like you have a chance to get interviews
70+ to feel like you will match somewhere
75+ to feel like you have an equal chance everywhere

I had a 74 and top 5 ranking. I applied to about 30 programs. Probably 25 of them being 4 year programs. I get interviews at 15. (4 overlapping made me only able to go to 11 of them)

Now I was PLENTY happy with that many opportunities but it still struck me that half the other programs I applied to looked at my application and said No. I bet my CBSE was probably a reason I didnt get interviews at MGH,UCLA, Parkland. Alternatively I know my CBSE was probably what got me a lot of other ones where if it was in the 65 range I probably wouldnt have had it.

If you want to do the bare minimum and match anywhere? A 65 could do it sure. But if you have a specific place in mind a 75+ is where you can feel pretty confident that you meet that minimum everywhere. A 70+ is definitely the happy medium, aim for it and if you fall short take it again if you can. Worst case scenario is you get a 65 and can still match.

• Hmm
Reactions: 9 users
As far as the low average score versus "ideal" interview score on the CBSE goes, I was one who took it cold this summer (summer clinic + we're required to take part 1 boards in July = no real prep). I knew I was going to bomb, but also knew it would be valuable to see the exam once, and it would light a fire under my ass to study this semester. I was one of several classmates who did that, and I know my personal performance probably dropped the average lol. It's one thing to read SDN but another to see the exam for real, and for me it was worth the $300 for motivational points alone.

Last edited:
I was honestly bummed when I saw a 69.

And that was before I was told by one of the programs that I externed at that it was too bad because they only look at applications with 70 and up.

Adding on to BYU, the scale has shifted. Probably by 5 points or so. This year an 80+ would get you interviews everywhere, 75+ to feel confident, and 70+ to have a decent shot at matching . A 65-70 is a gamble and realistically the chances of matching even with applying broadly are a coin flip. There are many more competitive applicants year after year. A 60-65 without having a top 5 ranking at a state school will likely fare very poorly unless there is an intern year involved. This is just the reality people have to accept.

As far as the low average score versus "ideal" interview score on the CBSE goes, I was one who took it cold this summer (summer clinic + we're required to take part 1 boards in July = no real prep). I knew I was going to bomb, but also knew it would be valuable to see the exam once, and it would light a fire under my ass to study this semester. I was one of several classmates who did that, and I know my personal performance probably dropped the average lol. It's one thing to read SDN but another to see the exam for real, and for me it was worth the $300 for motivational points alone.

Yea that does help lower the average but that's nothing new. Every year people have been taking it cold and bombing it haha. For future CBSE takers that want to take it cold to see what it's like, save yourself a lot of money and just take a practice NBME

What would you guys say about an applicant with a CBSE in the 80s but a lower class rank in the 20-30% range? Would they also get shut out at more competitive 6 years like the 60-70 CBSE top 10% applicants?

August of the year you apply has classically been the last chance to take the exam during the current cycle is that still correct? Last August I know the delay in scores made it a close call...

omfs research is pretty important, especially to academic heavy programs/institutions. applicants who had 80+ and research received most interviews.
i know someone with 80+ without research and unfortunately only received a couple of interviews.

What would you guys say about an applicant with a CBSE in the 80s but a lower class rank in the 20-30% range? Would they also get shut out at more competitive 6 years like the 60-70 CBSE top 10% applicants?

I would think the CBSE that high outweighs. Plus that class rank isnt terrible by any means.

omfs research is pretty important, especially to academic heavy programs/institutions. applicants who had 80+ and research received most interviews.
i know someone with 80+ without research and unfortunately only received a couple of interviews.

The people I know and stories Ive heard of people with 80+ faring poorly also applied to only “prestigious” 6 years and few of them.

The people I know and stories Ive heard of people with 80+ faring poorly also applied to only “prestigious” 6 years and few of them.
[/QUOTE]

sorry forgot to mention i'm referring to only 6 yr programs/applicants. i did not apply/interview at any 4 yr programs

August of the year you apply has classically been the last chance to take the exam during the current cycle is that still correct? Last August I know the delay in scores made it a close call...

I'm curious about this too. Senior in my program who matched this year applied with their August score - said it worked but was stressful since it was delayed about a week. Made finalizing their applications stressful.

I'm curious about this too. Senior in my program who matched this year applied with their August score - said it worked but was stressful since it was delayed about a week. Made finalizing their applications stressful.

many applicants use their august score for their application, so i dont think you should worry about that at all. people on the trail said that they didn't get a certain interview and they think it's cause they submitted their applications late because they were waiting for their scores. this is not true because i submitted my application at the deadline and still received those interviews.

new CBSE scoring system from august is inflated according to what i heard from a PD on the interview trail

he was saying they curve it to the mean of medical students and that the converted score to the 100 scale is about 10 points higher than it should be which made it hard for them to evaluate applicants this cycle.

This year was the highest number of applicants with 22 more than last year and 56 more than 2018.

Remember that the MATCH statistics we see only include number of applicants who submitted a rank list. That means it doesn't include applicants who failed to get even a single interview and therefore were unable to participate in MATCH. Either way, this year was the most competitive it has ever been both in terms of number of applicants and average applicant stats.

new CBSE scoring system from august is inflated according to what i heard from a PD on the interview trail

he was saying they curve it to the mean of medical students and that the converted score to the 100 scale is about 10 points higher than it should be which made it hard for them to evaluate applicants this cycle.

I second this post. Heard the same thing from multiple sources. It will be easier to score in the 70s (in the old scale) with the new grading system so we will have to wait until the next cycle to see what the new standard/cut off is for the 3 digit scale.

Also, some things I noticed from going though this cycle that might be useful to future applicants.

1. Average CBSE scores are way up. If you are aiming for a 6yr program at a "prestigious" academic medical center in popular locations such as MGH, NYU, UCSF, UCLA, and Penn to name a few, your scores better be at least 75+ to avoid getting screened out by the affiliated Med school. Even an interview invite doesn't mean you are safe because it is possible to get screened post-interview by the medical school based on your CBSE score, undergrad gpa, or interview with medschool admissions. Also, these programs tend to prefer research experience and publications.

2. Regarding 4 yr programs based out of community hospitals -- they put less emphasis on CBSE scores (no medschool admissions to get past) and seem to prefer applicants with preliminary internship experience over dental school seniors if they have to choose between the two (stats being equal).

3. 4 yr positions in programs that offer both 6yr and 4yr are often 'reserved' for their own noncat interns. Although I only applied to 6yrs, if I were looking into 4yr programs myself, I wouldn't even bother applying to programs that have noncat interns that offer a single 4yr spot. It is most likely already taken and you are just a back up in case the intern decides to go somewhere else.

Reactions: 11 users
Inflated score? That doesnt make sense
The mean and stdv are very similar to those of previous cbse results.

Inflated score? That doesnt make sense
The mean and stdv are very similar to those of previous cbse results.

This. The average matched CBSE score may be increasing but the test stats are not inflated or the mean and stdv would be way different. Also the only score areas that saw a bump with the new score conversion were those with low scores <50 and those with really high scores >90. Otherwise it was almost identical.

Last edited:
This. The average matched CBSE score may be increasing but the test stats are not inflated or the mean and stdv would be way different. Also the only score areas that saw a bump with the new score conversion were those with low scores <50 and those with really high scores >90. Otherwise it was almost identical.

Exactly this. People do not know what they are talking about.