***Official OMS 2020 Match Results***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I don’t think their is a magic number to what cbse score one must get to match. I matched to a 4 year program with a 64 and got 10+ interviews straight out of dental school. 6 year programs usually have a cutoff of 67, so if you want to go to a 6 year, that’s why people say go for the 70. To all the people who got in the 60’s on the CBSE, you CAN get interviews and match. Obviously, try to get the highest score you can, but be proud of yourself for whatever score you get, this test is very hard.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 22 users
Do you guys think a high cbse score will make up for applying from working as a general dentist/time out of school?

Do you guys think a high cbse score will make up for applying from working as a general dentist/time out of school?
There's definitely people that matched after going into general dentistry, so I'm sure a high CBSE will make up for that. From some of the stuff I see on here a high CBSE will make up for anything.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I don’t think their is a magic number to what cbse score one must get to match. I matched to a 4 year program with a 64 and got 10+ interviews straight out of dental school. 6 year programs usually have a cutoff of 67, so if you want to go to a 6 year, that’s why people say go for the 70. To all the people who got in the 60’s on the CBSE, you CAN get interviews and match. Obviously, try to get the highest score you can, but be proud of yourself for whatever score you get, this test is very hard.

I second this post. I did a non-cat year out of DS and certainly did not have a 70+, I was in the low 60's but still had interviews and matched. Granted, I only applied to 4 year programs. I do agree, however, that the 6 yr programs really do want a higher CBSE of 70+. For those of you who said that folks had a 70+ and didn't receive many interviews....to me thats a big red flag to something else on the application that obviously isn't in their favor.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Hello everyone!

Do OMFS programs accept International dentists once they have completed a 2 or 2 n half year advanced standing program/international dental program from a US dental school?

Thank you.

Wished they just left the scoring alone.

Reactions: 3 users
Hello everyone!

Do OMFS programs accept International dentists once they have completed a 2 or 2 n half year advanced standing program/international dental program from a US dental school?

Thank you.

From what I understand, you would still have to be a US citizen or permanent resident to be eligible for most programs even after earning your DDS from a US school. Also, you probably won't be eligible for 6 yr programs bc they require applicants to hold bachelor degrees from US colleges.

Reactions: 1 user
From what I understand, you would still have to be a US citizen or permanent resident to be eligible for most programs even after earning your DDS from a US school. Also, you probably won't be eligible for 6 yr programs bc they require applicants to hold bachelor degrees from US colleges.
Thank you for the information!

I had a 74 and top 5 ranking. I applied to about 30 programs. Probably 25 of them being 4 year programs. I get interviews at 15. (4 overlapping made me only able to go to 11 of them)

Now I was PLENTY happy with that many opportunities but it still struck me that half the other programs I applied to looked at my application and said No. I bet my CBSE was probably a reason I didnt get interviews at MGH,UCLA, Parkland. Alternatively I know my CBSE was probably what got me a lot of other ones where if it was in the 65 range I probably wouldnt have had it.
Totally agree with everything you said. I find it interesting because there are definitely people from my school that have gotten interviews/matched to Parkland with low to mid 70s on the CBSE. Honestly it's a crap shoot.

Last edited:
There's no real system.
The information from our applications is sent in one packet of information with 25 pages that the program directors have to literally sift through. And it changes every year so they have to sift through it every year. And they get 350 of these applications.
And all they have to do is say yes or no.
At some of my interviews where I knew it just wasn't going to happen or I wasn't interested, I used my "so do you have any questions for us" to ask what was on my application that scored me an interview.
There's no system and it depends on the day and the mood and the other applications they've looked at that day.

Last edited:
Congrats again to everyone that matched. Just curious if there are any resources (anki or other) y'all found helpful before you started going on rounds with your home program / went on externships? Is there anything you wish you would have done to be more prepared for getting pimped?

Program Matched: 4-Year Military program (God bless America)
Year Earned DMD/DDS: 2020 DDS
International Student (yes/no): nah
NBME scores: 70
Class Ranking/Size: top 15%
Externship(s)/where: 3, Military hospitals
Research: no publications, but was involved in a few projects over the years
Extracurriculars: Heavy. Involved in leadership roles in multiple clubs
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked/Ranked position: Military system is different but I was accepted into my first choice program.
did you have hpsp?

Members don't see this ad :)
Program Matched: UCSF (6yr)
Dental School Attended: NYU
Year Earned DMD/DDS: 2020
International Student (yes/no): no
NBME Scores: 90
Class Ranking/Size: Top 5%
Externship(s)/where: Lincoln, Montefiore, Highland, UCSF Fresno, Penn, Mount Sinai/Jacobi, MGH
Research: 3 publications, 1 poster
Extracurriculars: Grubhub+
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked: 20/18/15/15

time to refresh the thread boys

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Program Matched: UAB
Dental School Attended: Columbia
International Student (yes/no): no
NBME scores: 89
Class Ranking/Size: 88
Externship(s)/where: Parkland, NYU, UPenn, UIC
Research: 2 publications in JOMFS
Extracurriculars: Moviepass, AMC A-List
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked/Ranked position: 29/23/16/16

Feels like the match placed me exactly where I belong. PM me if you have any questions!

Reactions: 11 users
Program Matched: UCLA
Dental School Attended: UCLA
International Student (yes/no): No
NBME scores: 77
Class Ranking/Size: N/A
Externship(s)/where: Monte, Penn, UCSF, Jefferson, UW, Emory
Research: public health posters, no pubs
Extracurriculars: yes (!)
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked: 24/19/14/14/1

Oops super late on this, but I'm open to PMs! Best of luck! :)

Last edited:
There's no real system.
The information from our applications is sent in one packet of information with 25 pages that the program directors have to literally sift through. And it changes every year so they have to sift through it every year. And they get 350 of these applications.
At some of my interviews where I knew it just wasn't going to happen or I wasn't interested, I used my "so do you have any questions for us" to ask what was on my application that scored me an interview.
There's no system and it depends on the day and the mood and the other applications they've looked at that day.
Did they give you any information on what scored you an interview / what boosts your chances post interview? I would like to at least have a fundamental understanding of what to aim for since I hear so many different things.

Program Matched: Southern 6 year program
Dental School Attended: North of the wall
NBME scores: 80+
Class Ranking/Size: No rank
Externship(s)/where: UNC, BU
Research: 6 pubs (not first author), several posters
Extracurriculars: Class pres, OMFS club pres, TA, other random stuff
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked: 26/18/12/12

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Program Matched: Southern program
Dental School Attended: North of the wall
Class Ranking/Size: No rank
Externship(s)/where: UNC, BU
Research: 6 pubs (not first author), several posters
Extracurriculars: Class pres, OMFS club pres, TA, other random stuff
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked: 26/18/12/12

6 yr?

Program Matched: 6yr program
Dental School Attended: Barely
NBME scores: 75+
Class Ranking/Size: Top 10%
Externship(s)/where: 13 wks
Research: A bit
Extracurriculars: No
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked: 32/17/14/14

Dental School Attended: Barely
NBME scores: 75+
Class Ranking/Size: Top 10%
Externship(s)/where: 13 wks
Research: A bit
Extracurriculars: No
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked: 32/17/14/14

Cograt!
Did you apply to 6 year programs mostly?

Reminded me to post this

Dental School Attended: Midwest
Class Ranking/Size: #1
Externship(s)/where: 4 weeks
Research: Some
Extracurriculars: A few
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked: 11/9/8/8

Does anyone know if there are any current unfilled residency programs for 2020 post match?

There's no real system.

This is a great post in some ways. Think of a program director with tons of applications and 50 interview slots for 5 residents. If you have 350 applications, probably 50-100 are easier to say no to. Maybe you get it to 80-100 applications that you REALLY like for 50 slots. There is no doubt there is some arbitrariness (is that a word?) when getting it down to those who you invite in the end. Here are some things that come into play that you might not think of. Program directors may consider:
1. Historical performance of applicants from your school
2. Diversity of interview pool (race, gender, life experiences, geographic location, dental school represented, etc.)
3. How many applicants have you already invited from school X?
4. Schools you would like to recruit more (i.e. maybe you're looking for applicants from school Y so you can have them come and at least SEE your program. It's an investment).
5. Quality of the letters of recommendation. These are all over the board. Some are helpful and some are really not great.
6. Letters coming from an OMS? Did you have letters all from perio and prosth and your dean and maybe one from OMS? Not the best choice.
7. Research (YMMV with this, and importance is way different per program, or even between attendings in a program).
8. Quality of personal statement (again, YMMV. Some PDs won't read this, some really do).
9. CBSE score. Importance of this is variable. I would suggest some use this as a cutoff just because it is challenging to wade through so many applications. It's also relative to the other applicants.
10. Did you extern there? BIG deal. Maybe you didn't, and they will interview people they already know with lower CBSE scores. Happens all the time and totally makes sense.

Bottom line, it is complicated and every program has their method of choosing. And yes, sometimes the PD will miss something or just decide arbitrarily, but they have to make a call at some point. If you didn't get an interview someplace but have great credentials, it could be any number of these issues, and it probably isn't that you are a bad candidate. Be grateful for the interviews you did receive and make the most of it. All it takes is one (although obviously, more is better odds, I know). If you didn't match and felt you had good credentials, give some of these factors consideration.

Reactions: 3 users