***Official OMS 2021 Match Results***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cito

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Everyone here knows the drill. Let's pay it forward by sharing these stats for future oms hopefuls. Good luck everyone!

Program Matched:
Dental School Attended:
Year Earned DMD/DDS:
International Student (yes/no):
CBSE scores:
Class Ranking/Size:
Externship(s)/where:
Research:
Extracurriculars:
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked/Ranked position:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 15 users
Am future oms hopeful. Can confirm. This would be super helpful. Thanks and good luck!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Ill go first :)

Program Matched: 6 year
Dental School Attended: State school
Year Earned DMD/DDS: 2021
International Student (yes/no): No
CBSE scores:
1st attempt: 43
2nd attempt: 61
3rd and final attempt: 71
Class Ranking/Size: Top 10%
Externship(s)/where: I was fortunate enough to do three in person ones prior to the pandemic
Research: I have never done research in my life
Extracurriculars: Nothing of note to be honest. Just some minor class leadership roles.
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked/Ranked position:
Applied to 33, interviewed 11, ranked 11, matched to my #1

My thoughts on the journey: I prioritized three things throughout dental school. Good grades, good CBSE, and most importantly being a good person. Grades and CBSE speak for themselves. I believe being a genuine and caring person goes a lot farther than you might think. I always did my best to be respectful to everyone I came across. I am neither above nor below anyone else. This was the approach I took during my externships/interviews. I truly just tried to have good energy and show my excitement and convey my gratefulness for the opportunity.

Also goes to show you don’t need an 80+ CBSE, research, amazing extracurriculars, or go to a “prestigious school” (Whatever that means), because I am 0/4 on those

Specifically for this cycle: Weird cycle and probably will not apply to future cycles. I am thankful I applied to as many programs as I did and cast my net wide because I got interviews to programs I did not think I would. I also did not get interviews to programs I thought I would. Can’t speak for the other side of it, but I did not mind the virtual interviews. Convenient and cheap!

I am so grateful and am ready to do amazing things.

Salt

Reactions: 24 users
Could you please post your age and your gender as well. Thanks,

Reactions: 1 user
Program Matched: 6 year
Dental School Attended: state school
International Student (yes/no): no
CBSE scores: 54, 170, 209
Class Ranking/Size: mid class of 100
Externship(s)/where: 4 in person, 3 cancelled
Research: yes but no publications
Extracurriculars: tons
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked/Ranked position: 32/12/11/11/1
Age/Gender: 25F

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Program Matched: Midwest 6 Year
Dental School Attended: State School
CBSE scores: 209
Class Ranking/Size: 1/50
Externship(s)/where: 1 in person, 3 cancelled
Research: Yes, 2 publications from college
Extracurriculars: Quite a bit.
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked/Ranked position: 28/20/18/18/#1
Age/Gender: 26M

Reactions: 8 users
Program Matched: Midwest 6yr
Dental School Attended: Private
CBSE scores: 233
Class Ranking/Size: No rank
Externship(s)/where: 2 in person (not where I matched)
Research: None
Extracurriculars: Basic club stuff
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked/Ranked position: 38/26/24/24/1

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Penn was 9/12 this year. Programs included Parkland, NYU 6 year, MGH, Penn (2), Maryland, Michigan, New york medical college, Rutgers 6 year,

• Wow
Program Matched: 4 year program
Dental School Attended: Midwest
CBSE scores: Low. See below*
Class Ranking/Size: top 5%
Externship(s)/where: 1 in person, three cancelled
Research: Presented poster, another project ongoing
Extracurriculars: Lots. President of 2 clubs, class rep in another. Tutor, volunteer in clinic, organizer for charity nights, etc.
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked/Ranked position: 36, 2, 2, 2, 1

*I am only posting this because when I got my score back, I thought the cycle was over for me. I am genuinely embarrassed to even really post it here with the traditionally high scores on SDN. If you've read my posts previously you know that I had some dedicated study time that was cancelled by my school. The stars did not align and I did not perform well on the CBSE. I went into this cycle fully prepared to study for it again and do an intern year, and I was determined to prove I had what it takes. I want people who read this thread in the future to know that a single test score, despite what everyone on here says, does NOT determine your application. I know 100% it got me screened out at many (likely most) schools, but clearly all it takes is one program to look twice at your application. This year was absolutely bizarre, and I recognize that many deserving applicants did not match. I have the highest hopes for you all in the future.

My class rank shows that the CBSE is not a good representation of my academic performance over 4 years. That's something you have to prove one way or another, but I am also a strong proponent of ECs and leadership positions. My leadership and involvement in dental school was brought up in both interviews. Do something that stands out in a good way, and the "bad" stuff on your resume fades. You need to be unique otherwise you'll blend in with the other overachievers that are going for this specialty. Those activities also show you can manage your time.

DM with any questions, I will try my best to be honest and helpful. Congratulations to all who matched. I cannot explain the feeling of opening that email - I have never breathed easier in my life.

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 20 users
Program Matched: 4 yr program
Dental School Attended: North West School
CBSE scores: 221
Externship(s)/where: 3 virtual
Research: none
Extracurriculars: basics club stuff - nothing special at all
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked/Ranked position: 31/10/10/10/1

Can we get some more responses? This was a weird cycle so it would be interesting to see how your CBSE score/rank correlated to interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)
Program Matched: South 6-year
Dental School Attended: Midwest state school
CBSE scores: mid 50-mid 60-mid 70
Class Ranking/Size: ~top 20%
Externship(s)/where:1 week at different school in south, 2 cancelled
Research: lol
Extracurriculars: nothing in dental school. Used college ones to answer every “give a leadership example” question
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked/Ranked position: 32/10/9/9/1

Reactions: 9 users
Program matched: 4 year program
Dental school attended: state school
Year earned DMD/DDS: 2021
International student (yes/no): no
CBSE score: 197
Class Rank: top 20%
Externships: 2 in-person
Extracurriculars: nothing crazy
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews Attended/Programs Ranked/Ranked Position: 32/3/3/3/1

Program Matched: NY 6 yr program
CBSE scores: 159, 156, 200
Class Ranking/Size: 19/130ish
Externship(s)/where: 1 in person, 1 site visit to meet PD.
Research: never
Extracurriculars: basics club stuff - nothing special at all.
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked/Ranked position: 35/5/5/5/matched to #4 on my list*
M25

*it’s ok not to get in near your top choice! I’m beyond thrilled with the program I matched with.

Program Matched: Northeast 4 Yr
Dental School Attended: Private Northeast School (non-Ivy)
CBSE scores: 207
Class Ranking/Size: Top 3%
Externship(s)/where: 4 virtual, 2 cancelled
Research: Undergrad published paper
Extracurriculars: OMFS club, volunteering, and other club stuff
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked/Ranked position: 32/8/8/8/3

I can also echo that it looks like this cycle was different than past application cycles. Many of the people who I thought were amazing candidates did not match this year for one reason or another. Good luck and congratulations to everyone who matched!

Program Matched: South 6 Year
CBSE scores: 217
Class Ranking/Size: top 10/~100
Externship(s)/where: 2 in person, 4 cancelled, couple of virtual (if that matters)
Research: Co-authored twice; few posters
Extracurriculars: Pretty involved
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked/Ranked position: 21/16/13/13/2

Reactions: 4 users
Just an observation from interviews for those applying in the upcoming cycle...while CBSE score, class rank, etc are the height of importance, don't neglect your interviewing skills. I'm not a naturally good interviewer so I put in a lot of time watching youtube videos on interviews, practicing, role-playing interview scenarios, etc and the interviews felt very natural. Yes "just be yourself" is important. But it can be very challenging to actually "be yourself" in an interview setting unless you've practiced how to come off naturally. Many of you are going to just be naturally gifted at this, but some - like me - won't be, but don't fret. You can learn how to do it. I noticed a few people each interview who, for whatever reason, didn't have a strong interview. I don't know if this is what helped me match when compared to people with similar stats to me, but it definitely didn't hurt.

Reactions: 13 users
Program Matched: South 6 Year
CBSE scores: 213
Class Ranking/Size: top 10/~100
Externship(s)/where: 2 in person, 3 cancelled
Research: None
Extracurriculars: Usual CV fluff
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked/Ranked position: 29/10/9/9/1

Reactions: 4 users
Program Matched: 4 year
Dental School Attended: Canadian
International Student (yes/no): Yes
CBSE scores:
1st attempt: 224
Externship(s)/where: 0. Had 7 weeks planned and scheduled for summer 2020 but all got cancelled due to COVID
Research: Case Report, some undergrad stuff
Extracurriculars: some leadership positions, sports and involvement in school events

Applied to pretty much every program that takes Canadians/ interviewed at 5/ranked 5/matched to my number 1

This process is super hard, and even more difficult being Canadian. Legit felt hopeless many times this entire cycle and was sure I would have to do an internship and reapply. Crazy how life works out. If any Canadian students are reading this and thinking of applying, feel free to DM me, I’m glad to help anyway I can.

• Care
Reactions: 15 users
Program Matched: 6 year Northeast
Dental School Attended: Northeast non-Ivy
CBSE scores: 192
Class Ranking/Size: top 15%
Externship(s)/where: 1 in person, 2 cancelled, and 3 virtual
Research: Undergrad, during gap year, dental school. A few poster presentations and talks, no publications
Extracurriculars: typical leadership stuff
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked/Ranked position: 26/8/8/8/3

I was worried about my CBSE score, especially being more interested in 6 year programs. Surprisingly the only time it came up during the interview trail was at a 4 year interview. Things ended up working out, so I wanted to post to encourage others who might not have scores in the high 70's and 8o's.

Reactions: 10 users
Program Matched: Contiguous United States program
Dental School Attended: 4-year dental school (non-accelerated)
Year Earned DMD/DDS: 21st century
International Student (yes/no): I have traveled abroad
CBSE scores: Into three digits (new scoring)
Class Ranking/Size: yes

• Haha
Program Matched: Detroit Receiving/University Health Center (4 year)
Year Earned DMD/DDS: 2020
CBSE scores: 227 (~81)
Externship(s)/where: 3 Prior to COVID
Research: 1 Publication, Few projects during dental school/undergrad (Nothing major)
Extracurriculars: Leadership role in volunteer clinic, Minor role in few OMS clubs, Few Leadership & Volunteer awards
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked/Ranked position: 25/12/12/12/1

Program Matched: 4 year
Dental School Attended: Private
Year Earned DMD/DDS: 2019, GPR 2020
CBSE scores: 211
Class Ranking/Size: Top 10% (OKU)
Externship(s)/where: only 1 physical one due to Covid, 1 virtual
Research: Throughout undergrad and dental school, no publications
Extracurriculars: got masters after undergrad. in dental school just regular stuff- ADEA, ASDA, tutoring.
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked/Ranked position: 42/12/12/12/4

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Program Matched: Northeast 4 yr
Dental School Attended: Northeast
Year Earned DMD/DDS: 2019, GPR, then non-cat
CBSE scores: 225
Class Ranking/Size: top 5%
Externship(s)/where: none
Extracurriculars: none related to dental
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked/Ranked position: 26/12/12/12/1

Just an observation from interviews for those applying in the upcoming cycle...while CBSE score, class rank, etc are the height of importance, don't neglect your interviewing skills. I'm not a naturally good interviewer so I put in a lot of time watching youtube videos on interviews, practicing, role-playing interview scenarios, etc and the interviews felt very natural. Yes "just be yourself" is important. But it can be very challenging to actually "be yourself" in an interview setting unless you've practiced how to come off naturally. Many of you are going to just be naturally gifted at this, but some - like me - won't be, but don't fret. You can learn how to do it. I noticed a few people each interview who, for whatever reason, didn't have a strong interview. I don't know if this is what helped me match when compared to people with similar stats to me, but it definitely didn't hurt.
Oh my god, YES!

Program Matched: 4-year
Dental School Attended: State school you've never heard of
CBSE scores: low-50s, mid-60's, mid-upper 70's
Class Ranking/Size: #1
Externship(s)/where: 4 programs in-person for 4 total weeks + 2 virtual
Research: One publication after interviews completed, won a research award at school, another submitted and pending publication (both projects non-OMS)
Extracurriculars: Nothing notable- President of a club, philanthropy events, volunteer stuff in and outside of school
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked/Ranked position: 28/16/16/15/3

I go to a school that does not have an OMS program, nor do a high percentage of its students specialize. My heart was set on OMS from the beginning, and I was fearful that going there (vs. a more expensive, out-of-state school with a program) would hinder my competitiveness for residency, but I was mistaken. Its been said in these forums before that it's not really about the school, it's about the applicant, and I now wholeheartedly agree with that.

My thoughts on the journey:
- Do as many externships as you can, and don't wait. I did most of mine during my D3 year on all of the breaks that we had. My school is heavy clinically and doesn't give us elective time off between 3rd and 4th year, but I made the most of the time that I had, and most places I interviewed were impressed by my initiative to do so. Some other applicants didn't have the opportunity to extern at any/ many places because of COVID. Take advantage of the time you have early on to get ahead.
- The CBSE is very important, but it's not everything. Do I think I would've received 16 interviews with a mid-60's score? Probably not, so I'm glad I took it a 3rd time, but once I got to the interviews I felt like most other applicants had scores in a similar range as mine. PD's seemed to be more impressed that I was top of my class, did some cool stuff in undergrad, etc. The standard for the score will likely continue to trend upwards, so having a good one is a must, but being well-rounded will help you stand out.

My thoughts on the interview cycle (only applied to 4-year programs):
- I received interviews at places I didn't think I would, and didn't get ones at places I thought were a slam dunk. Cast a wide net and shoot your shot, cause you never know.
- It was pretty hard for me to evaluate programs in virtual interviews. This was particularly true if the interview sessions were short. The ones that were a half-day or whole-day sometimes seemed drawn-out, but I always left them with a better feel for the people and the culture, which was very important to me. I visited a few places on my own accord after the interviews to get a better feel as well, which I would highly recommend if they're all virtual moving forward.
- It was also said earlier in this thread, but I'll reiterate. Don't underestimate the importance of interviewing skills. These are things that can be learned, and being able to present yourself well and "be natural" in your responses can be achieved with preparation. Don't be scared to put yourself out there either. Talk to residents at the places you're interviewing ahead of time if you can, and research the program and the faculty so you can ask good questions during your interview.

It's an incredible feeling to open that email on Match Day and see that all your hard work payed off. I hope this helps, and best of luck to everyone applying in future cycles!!

Reactions: 12 users
Dental School Attended: in state school
CBSE scores: 70, 234
Class Ranking/Size: N/A
Externship(s)/where: 4 weeks in-person, all pre-covid
Research: One publication
Extracurriculars: Nothing significant, leadership roles in a couple clubs, volunteering, community clinic, etc
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked/Ranked position: 28/12/12/10/2

Lessons learned:
-extern where you want to increase your chances of getting an interview (i.e where you want to go). i know covid makes this difficult right now, but find a way to be known by the program and its people either by reaching out via email to ask about the program, or a physical visit if possible. Cannot stress this enough. (also this was the best way to truly evaluate a program)
-CBSE is not everything, personality is huge. Even in our Zoom interviews this year people could tell if you were a positive and outgoing person vs a negative and shy one. (Smile a lot!). Programs need to know that you would be a positive reflection of the OMS service when you are interacting with people of the hospital.
-letters of rec MUST be coming from an oral surgeon. I had one from a non-OMFS but I found out that those from OMFS were the ones that weighed the most heavily
-enjoy the process. Yeah the price tag sucks and the wait is stressful, but your attitude is what is gonna get you through it, and that attitude will most certainly reflect in your interviews and interactions with residents/faculty.

Reactions: 9 users
Program Matched: Case Western Reserve University
Dental School: Rutgers
NBME CBSE: 240-245
Class rank/size: Top 5
GPA: 3.98
Externships: Rutgers (2 weeks), Fresno (1 week), Montefiore (1 week), VCU (1 week)
Research: Poster presentation, undergrad senior thesis, COVID review paper for school (nothing serious)
Extracurriculars: Heavy student government involvement, Journal Club, Cover band.
Applications/Invites/Interviews/Ranked/Position Matched: 41/27/21/20/#1
LORs: 1 from home OMFS director, 2 from OMFS faculty, 1 from non-OMFS admin.

Thank you to everyone who gave advice and company along the way, including @Likkriue, @Big Time Hoosier, @Charcot-Marie-Tooth , @Bereno , @Captain Underplants , @White_Sponge_Nevus , and many many others.

Dental School
Go to the cheapest school! Save the $200k+. Why anyone would pay an extra $0.01 for these 4 years of nonsense, I will never understand. Dental school isn't going to help you match much. The applicants I saw interview after interview were mostly students or non-cats from public schools working hard to make it happen. There were great students from private schools too who put in a TON of work like everyone else, but I'm sure they would've matched from any school, so you might as well save the money! There’s no secret to matching, and extra debt can only (and often does) hurt. Rutgers matched 4/4 to OMFS this year PLUS 2 former grads matched. 3 of our classmates are going into non-cats next year because they got a late start studying for the CBSE.

CBSE
Reviewed here: August 17th CBSE

Programs
1) Don’t rely on what I say! Programs change over time and I only had a virtual glimpse of many programs, which is never the full story.
2) I will not be saying anything negative about any program. If you want my full opinion, you can message me privately.
3) Realize every program is perfect for someone; Your goal is to find which programs are perfect for you! These are the programs which aligned with what I was looking for, but you may be searching for something else!

My favorite 4-year programs: Rutgers, Augusta Georgia, Christiana Care, Loyola.

My favorite 6-year programs: Case Western, Louisville, Rutgers, San Antonio, Texas A&M Baylor.

Fantastic programs which just weren’t my thing, but they may definitely be for you!: Kentucky, UAB, UNC, UT Memphis

Programs I heard excellent things about (but I didn’t interview there): VCU, MedStar Washington Hospital Center, Pittsburgh, MUSC, Minnesota, Oklahoma, Iowa.

Interviews
I applied to both types of programs. MD programs were much more generous offering me invites as a dental student. My classmates said the same thing. My final rank list mixed 4- and 6-year programs throughout.

You should be interviewing the programs just as much as they are interviewing you. Don’t suck up to a program hoping they will like you - they can definitely tell who is playing that game. By being honest, you set up the best possible match. Don’t be afraid to ask them lots of questions. Actually, you should have many many questions planned ahead of time. Don't ask questions you could look up - ask about the culture, ask if they go to dinner together, ask about their favorite and least favorites parts of the program. Find out if you're going to fit in.

Interview season is exhausting and expensive! Be prepared to drop several thousand dollars over the couple months and miss way too many days of clinic. If you want to maximize your interviews, refresh your email (including the junk folder! They always go to the junk folder) and SDN every 10 minutes - once a program invites you with options for a date, you need to schedule one that doesn’t conflict with other programs. If you aren’t interested in a program, politely cancel well in advance to give fellow applicants a chance. I hope interviews are back to normal next year.

Besides the standard interview questions, be ready to talk about your daily life and hobbies. Residents and faculty want someone cool they can operate with.

...Gonna go study for Step 1 now...

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Care
Reactions: 31 users
Sorry, I’m a little late to the game on this. Here is my breakdown and info that I hope is helpful to others. Congrats to everyone that matched!!!

Program Matched: 4-year (Only applied to 4 year)
CBSE scores: 63, 214
Externship(s)/where: 4 programs in-person for 5 total weeks
Research: 2 projects in dental school that won a few small awards, but no publications
Extracurriculars: multiple jobs, not much else

Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked/Ranked position: 27/18/13/10/1

“I go to a school that does not have an OMS program, nor do a high percentage of its students specialize. My heart was set on OMS from the beginning, and I was fearful that going there (vs. a more expensive, out-of-state school with a program) would hinder my competitiveness for residency, but I was mistaken. Its been said in these forums before that it's not really about the school, it's about the applicant, and I now wholeheartedly agree with that. “ — PremolarPapi

^^^^ I would’ve described my school the same way. I knew early on I wanted to pursue OMS, but with basically no one to talk to, I didn’t know what would make a competitive applicant outside of what I read on SDN.

Everyone talks about how important the CBSE is, so I knew that I needed to get a competitive score on the it. With that said, I didn’t know what a competitive score was. Reading SDN made it seem like you had to destroy the CBSE to have a chance, but I don’t think that’s necessarily the case. I think you need to have above a certain threshold, but its obviously different at each program.

I think I was asked about my research once during the entire interview cycle…. Maybe because I applied to all four year programs, but no one seemed to care about my research at all. So if you like it, do it, but don’t kill yourself.

A few places asked about my volunteering and I honestly told them I have hardly volunteered while in dental school, due to spending all of my time either at school, work, or doing research. No one seemed to have a problem with that.

I work a lot, so I talked about that a lot in the interviews and was asked about it quite a bit. I think being so heavily involved in something besides school helped me a lot. I got the vibe that they don’t necessarily care what you do outside of school, but make sure you’re doing things, and hopefully having a little fun as well. I was asked MANY times “What do you do for fun?” The residents want someone to hang out with too.

Being #1 in my class definitely helped me. More often than not, they brought it up. I will say that a few places made it clear that after you get an interview invite, they don’t care about your stats, which I liked. Those interviews were much more conversational and fun.

I think I had a decent story to tell in my personal statement. I hoped that it made programs want to meet me, because I felt like I had a unique story that had almost nothing to do with OMS. I didn’t even try to write a fluffy story about how OMS is my calling or something like that. I heard many residents and program directors say that they can see right through a B.S. personal statement. My recommendation would be to make it as unique as possible and make it interesting. It was nice to go into an interview and have great talking points already because they wanted to ask about my personal statement.

COVID was a unique situation, but having 4 in-person externships definitely helped me. I did all of them in 3rd year and finished them right before everything shut down. My school didn’t allow time off for externships, so I spent all of my breaks in the hospital. I didn’t mind doing it, but I made sure that they knew every break I had from school was spent on an externship. Every interview asked about my externships and what kind of experiences I had. They also wanted to know why I picked the places that I did. I basically picked strong externships that I heard were pretty hands-on. I also only went places that were drivable I had a free place to stay. I didn’t get the impression that programs were “upset” if I didn’t extern there.

At the end of the day, I can’t stress enough how important it is to be decent at carrying on a conversation. I’m not the best, but I’m the type of person that can have a conversation with no problem and I don’t think I’m awkward. Most of my interviews were very conversational and I got the vibe that they just wanted a “normal” person to join their team that wasn’t super awkward or boring. My overall theme was that I was very humble and honest about everything. Of course I wanted to impress them, but I didn’t overdo it. Most of them were normal people too.

I fumbled my way through this process and it worked out just fine. It’ll work out fine for you all as well. I hope this helps you all. Best of luck to everyone in the future.

Reactions: 17 users
Dental School Attended: in state school
CBSE scores: 70, 234
Class Ranking/Size: N/A
Externship(s)/where: 4 weeks in-person, all pre-covid
Research: One publication
Extracurriculars: Nothing significant, leadership roles in a couple clubs, volunteering, community clinic, etc
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked/Ranked position: 28/12/12/10/2

Lessons learned:
-extern where you want to increase your chances of getting an interview (i.e where you want to go). i know covid makes this difficult right now, but find a way to be known by the program and its people either by reaching out via email to ask about the program, or a physical visit if possible. Cannot stress this enough. (also this was the best way to truly evaluate a program)
-CBSE is not everything, personality is huge. Even in our Zoom interviews this year people could tell if you were a positive and outgoing person vs a negative and shy one. (Smile a lot!). Programs need to know that you would be a positive reflection of the OMS service when you are interacting with people of the hospital.
-letters of rec MUST be coming from an oral surgeon. I had one from a non-OMFS but I found out that those from OMFS were the ones that weighed the most heavily
-enjoy the process. Yeah the price tag sucks and the wait is stressful, but your attitude is what is gonna get you through it, and that attitude will most certainly reflect in your interviews and interactions with residents/faculty.
Explain 70, 234

Explain 70, 234

He probably received a 70 on his initial attempt, and his second attempt the scoring changed to reflect USMLE step1 scoring system and he received a 234 - somewhere around an 84. Excellent scores.

Reactions: 1 users
Is there any post in this forum where I could find some information about the GPA, not just the class rank of those who matched? Thank you!
GPA is meaningless because it is so school-dependent. If you want to know where a certain GPA would place you, you need to ask upperclassmen at your school.

Hey, Guy's, Congrats to those who were matched!. I have an inquiry I hope ya'll can assist me with. I am an international graduate student from the Gulf state countries with a 100% goverment sponsorship. I would like to check where I am standing in terms of landing an interview in a 4 year program,

Year Graduated: 2020
International graduate : YES
Internship: 12 Months in my country + will be employed for 1 year in OMFS department
Class rank: N/A
INBDE/CBSE: PASS / Will take it soon
Research: 10 Publications in high ranked journals ( all omfs related ) + Was employed as a research assistant at my university
Extracurricular: Cheif intern + other 2 leadership roles
Awards: 3 honor awards from my uni and expected to be nominated as top intern award of the 2020-2021 year + Full scholarship
Volunteering: 5 volunteering activities

What are my chances? of course am aiming to hit a 75+ on the cbse before applying and I heard there are only 6 programs ( 4yrs) which accepts sponsored international graduates ( Jacksonville , Henry M goldman at Boston, Pennsylvaniam Tufts and Ohio)

Thanx

Hey, Guy's, Congrats to those who were matched!. I have an inquiry I hope ya'll can assist me with. I am an international graduate student from the Gulf state countries with a 100% goverment sponsorship. I would like to check where I am standing in terms of landing an interview in a 4 year program,

Internship: 12 Months in my country + will be employed for 1 year in OMFS department
Research: 10 Publications in high ranked journals ( all omfs related ) + Was employed as a research assistant at my university
Awards: 3 honor awards from my uni and expected to be nominated as top intern award of the 2020-2021 year + Full scholarship

What are my chances? of course am aiming to hit a 75+ on the cbse before applying and I heard there are only 6 programs ( 4yrs) which accepts sponsored international graduates ( Jacksonville , Henry M goldman at Boston, Pennsylvaniam Tufts and Ohio)

Thanx
If you graduated from a dental school abroad, your chances are 0. Apply to a dental school in the US, either a full 4-year program, or accelerated 2-year international dentist program.

Thanx
Have heard of some who did 2-3 intern years and matched, but this was a long time ago

Sorry, I’m a little late to the game on this. Here is my breakdown and info that I hope is helpful to others. Congrats to everyone that matched!!!

Program Matched: 4-year (Only applied to 4 year)
CBSE scores: 63, 214
Externship(s)/where: 4 programs in-person for 5 total weeks
Research: 2 projects in dental school that won a few small awards, but no publications
Extracurriculars: multiple jobs, not much else

Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked/Ranked position: 27/18/13/10/1

“I go to a school that does not have an OMS program, nor do a high percentage of its students specialize. My heart was set on OMS from the beginning, and I was fearful that going there (vs. a more expensive, out-of-state school with a program) would hinder my competitiveness for residency, but I was mistaken. Its been said in these forums before that it's not really about the school, it's about the applicant, and I now wholeheartedly agree with that. “ — PremolarPapi

^^^^ I would’ve described my school the same way. I knew early on I wanted to pursue OMS, but with basically no one to talk to, I didn’t know what would make a competitive applicant outside of what I read on SDN.

Everyone talks about how important the CBSE is, so I knew that I needed to get a competitive score on the it. With that said, I didn’t know what a competitive score was. Reading SDN made it seem like you had to destroy the CBSE to have a chance, but I don’t think that’s necessarily the case. I think you need to have above a certain threshold, but its obviously different at each program.

I think I was asked about my research once during the entire interview cycle…. Maybe because I applied to all four year programs, but no one seemed to care about my research at all. So if you like it, do it, but don’t kill yourself.

A few places asked about my volunteering and I honestly told them I have hardly volunteered while in dental school, due to spending all of my time either at school, work, or doing research. No one seemed to have a problem with that.

I work a lot, so I talked about that a lot in the interviews and was asked about it quite a bit. I think being so heavily involved in something besides school helped me a lot. I got the vibe that they don’t necessarily care what you do outside of school, but make sure you’re doing things, and hopefully having a little fun as well. I was asked MANY times “What do you do for fun?” The residents want someone to hang out with too.

Being #1 in my class definitely helped me. More often than not, they brought it up. I will say that a few places made it clear that after you get an interview invite, they don’t care about your stats, which I liked. Those interviews were much more conversational and fun.

I think I had a decent story to tell in my personal statement. I hoped that it made programs want to meet me, because I felt like I had a unique story that had almost nothing to do with OMS. I didn’t even try to write a fluffy story about how OMS is my calling or something like that. I heard many residents and program directors say that they can see right through a B.S. personal statement. My recommendation would be to make it as unique as possible and make it interesting. It was nice to go into an interview and have great talking points already because they wanted to ask about my personal statement.

COVID was a unique situation, but having 4 in-person externships definitely helped me. I did all of them in 3rd year and finished them right before everything shut down. My school didn’t allow time off for externships, so I spent all of my breaks in the hospital. I didn’t mind doing it, but I made sure that they knew every break I had from school was spent on an externship. Every interview asked about my externships and what kind of experiences I had. They also wanted to know why I picked the places that I did. I basically picked strong externships that I heard were pretty hands-on. I also only went places that were drivable I had a free place to stay. I didn’t get the impression that programs were “upset” if I didn’t extern there.

At the end of the day, I can’t stress enough how important it is to be decent at carrying on a conversation. I’m not the best, but I’m the type of person that can have a conversation with no problem and I don’t think I’m awkward. Most of my interviews were very conversational and I got the vibe that they just wanted a “normal” person to join their team that wasn’t super awkward or boring. My overall theme was that I was very humble and honest about everything. Of course I wanted to impress them, but I didn’t overdo it. Most of them were normal people too.

I fumbled my way through this process and it worked out just fine. It’ll work out fine for you all as well. I hope this helps you all. Best of luck to everyone in the future.
How do we get your email sent to all potential candidates. This was as eloquent a summary of the process as I have seen in 16 years. I think you should post this to every OMS forum that exists. And if someone tries to dispute your experience I will shoot them down. I am so much more impressed by a candidate that can hold/carry a conversation. Good luck in the future.

Bob

I appreciate your honest response however I am trying to find out from candidates who matched, what was their GPA? I asked several upperclassmen about their GPA but people are very discrete. Is a 3.8 too low? Would being ranked in the middle of the class be too low to have a chance?
Ask the serniors at the school who just graduated. They won’t mind telling you. 3.8 here would place you around #20-30, but it could be totally different for another school.