Official Penn State Class of 2008--come out come out!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

camstah

running thru dandelions
7+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
so, seeing as how usc seems pretty full, there's a 99% chance that i'll be going to Penn State.....
so where are all my other Penn Stater's????????????????????
we are :clap: :clap: Penn State!!!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

camstah, hopefully I may join your ranks after may 15th...
waitlist heaven,
biff

Biffer said:
camstah, hopefully I may join your ranks after may 15th...
waitlist heaven,
biff

well i'm rooting for you!! :)
write those letters to the committee/dean! it can't hurt ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
if i comment on your stats. they are simply stellar. i'm surprised you had such a hard time getting into med school, even the third time around. and your resume rocks.

good luck at penn state! :luck:

how does this thread have 30 something views with only 2 people posting? hmmm? are there lurkers out there who are going, but don't want to sign up on sdn? maybe people are just curious? if you're a lurker, sign up already....it'd be nice to get to know some classmates before school starts....if you're curious, then read on :)

Yuliya11111 said:
if i comment on your stats. they are simply stellar. i'm surprised you had such a hard time getting into med school, even the third time around. and your resume rocks.

good luck at penn state! :luck:

very sweet of you to say....thanks!! it's not so much that i had a hard time getting into med school, it's that i had a hard time getting into med school in california.....sometimes you can't just drop everything and move across the country :)
and that first time i applied doesn't really count, because i didn't really get to apply---thank you for f*cking up AMCAS! i realize i should have asked for a refund, but of course, it's wayyyy too late now :)
but on the other hand, i really liked penn state...and the movie groundhog day....love that movie.....anyone else like that movie?

i'll keep bumping this thread until SOMEONE replies that they are going for sure..............
and i'm going to keep my fingers crossed for those of you on the waitlist....i want some fellow sdn'ers to go to penn state! :luck:

Hi Camstah,

Im so glad you are sooo enthusiastic about Penn State. I like it there also... ALOT. Hopefully I will hear something positive after May 15th. Good luck. I hope we get to meet each other :)

beponychick said:
Hi Camstah,

Im so glad you are sooo enthusiastic about Penn State. I like it there also... ALOT. Hopefully I will hear something positive after May 15th. Good luck. I hope we get to meet each other :)

what is up with penn state wailisting my fellow sdn'ers? that's not right....not right at all....
but, i'm hoping you all get in.....because sdn RULES! :thumbup:

to anyone,
whats waitlist movement like at PSUmed? lots/little, someone please shed some light here

love,
biffer

bump to the top

bumping this thread again.....
helllllllllllllllllllloooooooooooooooooo????
is anyone reading this?
am i talking to myself?
is no one else going to penn state? :(

Members don't see this ad :)
camstah said:
bumping this thread again.....
helllllllllllllllllllloooooooooooooooooo????
is anyone reading this?
am i talking to myself?
is no one else going to penn state? :(

:laugh: What if you showed up to the first day of classes and there were just two of you! OMG, I would die! They're out there, cammy, and as soon as I have replenished Karma abilities, they are coming your way!

major bump.....just curious to see if anyone will respond now......

spitting camel, i like your name....it always reminds me of aladdin.... :)

I'm bleeding Nittany Lion blue, baby! I'm headed to the land where milk chocolate runs through the natives' veins. Ummm... so what's the official Penn State Class of 2008 tally up to? 3? All I know is that I hope the girl from Colorado that interviewed the day I did got accepted and is coming along!!! And praise the Lord I didn't have to ride out the waitlist!

ooh, the blue was a nice touch......welcome to the official penn state class of 2008!!!
so far we've got:
camstah
mercutio99

anyone else? :)

I'm Hershey-bound, baby! Though hell has frozen over because I'm moving across the Mason-Dixon line, I loved the whole area. The wife and I are moving in July, doing a little camping, and visiting all of the usual spots: Philadelphia, Gettysburg, etc.

Oh, and we're buying better winter clothes too. So long, muggy Florida weather!

Hey guys,

I just got my acceptance letter on Saturday :) I really loved the school when I interviewed, but I'm a little worried about the location. The area seemed so empty - like there were more farms than houses. Well, I guess we won't have to worry about studying distractions.:laugh:

Also, Are any of you thinking of living in the on-campus apartments?

~Mishie

Harrisburg is ten minutes away. There's plenty to do when you need to get out. Me? I'm not a big city type anyway. Hershey is bigger than my birthplace in Kentucky (since I moved away as a small child, they got a McDonald's!).

hello all...it's nice to see someone besides me responding on this thread...:)
i'm from l.a., but the change of environment in hershey was nice....trees everywhere....peaceful.....v. cool...
i'm kind of worried about finding housing though....don't know when to do it, and where to look...don't think i want to live on campus, but i'm not sure...what are you guys thinking?

We're eventually going to buy a house or condo (the cost is very reasonable in that area), and in the meantime we're renting an apartment. There are several in the area that either do 3-6 month leases or allow you to break the lease with a 2 month notice. My wife found them online on some apartment finder websites, and they mailed the applications to us.

WyldeWolf1 said:
We're eventually going to buy a house or condo (the cost is very reasonable in that area), and in the meantime we're renting an apartment. There are several in the area that either do 3-6 month leases or allow you to break the lease with a 2 month notice. My wife found them online on some apartment finder websites, and they mailed the applications to us.

that's cool....it's nice that you've got your wife as your roommate :)

anyone else know how to go about looking for roommate, or would it be better to live alone?

mishie said:
Hey guys,

I just got my acceptance letter on Saturday :) I really loved the school when I interviewed, but I'm a little worried about the location. The area seemed so empty - like there were more farms than houses. Well, I guess we won't have to worry about studying distractions.:laugh:

Also, Are any of you thinking of living in the on-campus apartments?

~Mishie

what have you heard about the on-campus apartments? i wonder how much it would cost to rent a house...apparently a lot of second years do it (once they meet everyone and can get roommates i guess) but i think it'd be cool to do that as a first year....it's hard finding a place to live when you're so far away, and don't know anyone :(

I was looking up apartments on the PSU website. Here are a few good links:

http://www.hmc.psu.edu/housing/tour/index.htm

http://www.hmc.psu.edu/housing/tenant/apts.htm

I would want to live in the 2-bedroom, shared, with washer/dryer. It's a really good price. I didn't like a few things though -- the kitchen looked really small and dark in the picture and you'd have to use a modem for internet. Does anyone know if we can set up a cable hookup for internet?

Is anyone looking for off-campus housing? If so, where, and what are you finding to be the average costs?

~mishie

Oh, I forgot to add, on my interview day, A few girls that lived in the on-campus apartments had lunch with us. They said that most first-years live there and it's really convenient. None of the interviewies were really thinking that far ahead, so no one asked any questions on it. But I didn't here anything bad about the apartments or being stuck with the appartment-mate from hell -- if that counts for anything. :p

thanks for the links...wow, that's cheap, $358 for a shared two bedroom, or $650 for your own one bedroom????? in westwood i was paying $1000 to share a two bedroom apartment....wow....i'm still amazed...no wonder they don't think you need much money to live on....

about the internet thing, i wonder if that means you can't get dsl or cable modem on your own.....i need dsl or cable modem.....

so would they randomly assign us roommates? and what if we DO get stuck with the apartment mate from hell? :laugh:

but yeah, the two bedroom plus washer/dryer sounds nice.....

Hey camstah,

It seems like it's just the two of us on this thread. :)

I've been really unsure lately if i'm making the right decision. Well, actually, that's not true. Everyone else is making me feel like i'm making the wrong choice, going to penn state. I got into both Drexel and Penn State, and i have to mail out my final decision tomorrow. All of my family and some friends really want me to go to Drexel, and they're really stressing the Phili location (also, I only live 40 minutes away). I know Drexel's a great school, and I really liked it when I interviewed there. It's just that I think I'd be happier at Penn State. But I am worried about living in the middle of no where. I really afraid I might regret my decision later on. :(

Do you have any advice?

mishie said:
Hey camstah,

It seems like it's just the two of us on this thread. :)

I've been really unsure lately if i'm making the right decision. Well, actually, that's not true. Everyone else is making me feel like i'm making the wrong choice, going to penn state. I got into both Drexel and Penn State, and i have to mail out my final decision tomorrow. All of my family and some friends really want me to go to Drexel, and they're really stressing the Phili location (also, I only live 40 minutes away). I know Drexel's a great school, and I really liked it when I interviewed there. It's just that I think I'd be happier at Penn State. But I am worried about living in the middle of no where. I really afraid I might regret my decision later on. :(

Do you have any advice?

I got accepted to Miami, Penn State, and St Louis, and went with PSU. I'm going to relate some of the advice that was given to me during my decision-making process.

1) Name/Rank does not matter unless you want to go into academic medicine/research. For that you need a pedigree. To become an excellent practitioner, it may actually be beneficial to avoid research-oriented schools. For example, Duke is a phenomenal research school, but they cram the typical curriculum for the first 2 years into the first year so that your second year can be devoted to research. If that isn't your bag, you're going to be pretty miserable.

2) The size of the facilities do not matter for your first four years. It can actually help to have fewer patients to focus on during your rotations. This is opposed to residencies, when you need to find a nice big referral center so you see all sorts of cases.

3) No medical school can make you a good doctor. You can make yourself a good doctor in any American medical school. In other words, any US med school will give you what you put into it.

4) When deciding between multiple acceptances, the most important factor is your gut feelings about the schools. You will accomplish more in the place where you feel more comfortable. You can look at statistics, etc all you like, but they really won't tell you much about the experiences you will have at that school. Don't be afraid to visit the school again; now that you're in and the interview pressure is off, you might perceive a school differently. (A little late for that last one, I know, unless you happen to live near either school.)

5) If the main thing you're concerned with is the size of Hershey and the activities there, don't be. You can drive to Harrisburg to do anything you like in less time than it would take you to get across Philadelphia. Also, what makes you think that you're going to have all that time on your hands? :) (Just kidding. With planning, they say any weekend trip is doable after the anatomy block.)

6) Camstah and I will be there. What more do you need? :confused:

yeah, everything wyldewolf said :)
i think the gut feeling is the most important...people can push you one way for reasons THEY think are important...in the end though, you're the only one who knows which school felt right...and that's the one you go with. sounds like penn state for you :)

6) Camstah and I will be there. What more do you need?

this is a good reason too :D

Although I am not going to Penn State's medical school (I'm going to the Smeal business school), you have to realize that Penn State is a big party school. You guys are going to have to learn how to balance out partying and studying. ;)

Thanks for all your input!!! :D

I just got back from the post office -- I finally mailed out a letter to penn state accepting the position :D :D

And seriously, what was I worried about?! WyldeWolf1 and Camstah will be there :D

~Mishie

ShaolinDark said:
Although I am not going to Penn State's medical school (I'm going to the Smeal business school), you have to realize that Penn State is a big party school. You guys are going to have to learn how to balance out partying and studying. ;)

I know this is true of University Park undergrad, but is this true of the medical school? I never really thought to judge med schools on whether they were party schools or not.

SilleAngyl said:
I know this is true of University Park undergrad, but is this true of the medical school? I never really thought to judge med schools on whether they were party schools or not.

All medical schools have students who live by the philosophy "Work hard; play hard", but the students I met, while social, were not over-the-top. In fact, a surprising number of them had a spouse and/or children. Besides, Hershey is not University Park. I imagine that all you have to do to avoid any existing party scene is to avoid piling in the car heading to the Harrisburg bars.

And if you can't, your fellow SDNers will cuff you to a big heavy table in the library.

PS--Reminder to any who may have forgotten: Your $100 tuition deposit is due Friday.
Make the check (and they only accept checks) out to Penn State University and send it to:

Penn State College of Medicine
Office of Student Admissions
Room C1805, H060
500 University Drive
Hershey, PA 17033

http://www.psu.edu/dept/admissions/academics/majors/bacc/pmm.htm

Accelerated Premedical-Medical Program

Eberly College of Science

This program, which began in 1963, is a cooperative effort between Penn State and the College of Medicine at Thomas Jefferson University in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Students can earn both the B.S. and M.D. degrees in six or seven calendar years after graduation from high school. They will spend the first two or three years on the University Park campus of Penn State and then proceed to Jefferson Medical College for their regular four-year curriculum. The Penn State B.S. degree is awarded after successful completion of year two at Jefferson Medical College, and the M.D. degree is awarded after successful completion of year four at Jefferson Medical College.

My bad, I forgot you guys were not undergrads. :)

Hey,
for those of you waiting for the waitlist to move, I just withdrew from Penn State. Hope that helps :) .

ShaolinDark said:
My bad, I forgot you guys were not undergrads. :)

:laugh: Yeah, pretty soon we'll need to migrate over to the Allopathic forum, but I'm sure they're happy that we're having most of these "OMG, where are you going? I'm going there too! What do you think it will be like? I'm so excited!" conversations here. Right now, I'm starting to slowly drift between the two.

mishie said:
Thanks for all your input!!! :D

I just got back from the post office -- I finally mailed out a letter to penn state accepting the position :D :D

And seriously, what was I worried about?! WyldeWolf1 and Camstah will be there :D

~Mishie

Woo hoo! we'll be seeing you at penn state then mishie :thumbup:
and wyldewolf, you posted on another thread that people shouldn't perpetuate the viciouswolf stereotype..i for one like wolves, and i think the pic you've got for your avatar is cool ;)

camstah said:
Woo hoo! we'll be seeing you at penn state then mishie :thumbup:
and wyldewolf, you posted on another thread that people shouldn't perpetuate the viciouswolf stereotype..i for one like wolves, and i think the pic you've got for your avatar is cool ;)

Like I always tell the wolf-haters: If you love dogs, you love wolves; they're the same species. They're man's best friend, a keystone species in nature, adapt well socially and alone, are intelligent, beautiful creatures...what's not to love?

Camstah, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship.

AHOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooo! (<---howling)

Btw, is anyone moving to Hershey a bit early? We're heading up there in July so my wife can start her job and we can get settled before the madness begins. We Penn State SDNers ought to get together to celebrate once we all arrive.

WyldeWolf1 said:
Btw, is anyone moving to Hershey a bit early? We're heading up there in July so my wife can start her job and we can get settled before the madness begins. We Penn State SDNers ought to get together to celebrate once we all arrive.

i was thinking of moving in like late july...does anyone know when class/orientation/all the fun begins?
that's a good idea...we should all get together and have an sdn party! :) hopefully all of the people waiting for the waitlist to move will get off of it too, and can join :)

camstah said:
i was thinking of moving in like late july...does anyone know when class/orientation/all the fun begins?
that's a good idea...we should all get together and have an sdn party! :) hopefully all of the people waiting for the waitlist to move will get off of it too, and can join :)

I haven't heard anything directly, but looking at the schedule for last year (Click Here), "Official Orientation check-in will begin on Monday, August 11 and run through Wednesday, August 13, 2003, 8:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m." So somewhere in the first two weeks of August, I guess. The site also mentions that we'll be receiving forms re: white coat ceremony, CPR, etc.

I agree! We should definately get together and celebrate before classes and studying madness starts!!! :D

I'm starting to get really excited and definately taking the housing search more seriously. Camstah, have you thought more about on-campus vs. off-campus housing?

I found an apartment off-campus that has a community pool and is basically the same price of on-campus housing. But I've heard that living on-campus is just a lot more convenient. Is that true?

~mishie

mishie said:
I agree! We should definately get together and celebrate before classes and studying madness starts!!! :D

I'm starting to get really excited and definately taking the housing search more seriously. Camstah, have you thought more about on-campus vs. off-campus housing?

I found an apartment off-campus that has a community pool and is basically the same price of on-campus housing. But I've heard that living on-campus is just a lot more convenient. Is that true?

~mishie

well, i've been debating between the two...on campus housing would be convenient, but i wish i knew what the negatives were....and off campus would be cool to, because i'll have a car, but will most first years be living on campus? would they have their own little "we live on campus" clique? would it make it harder to get to know people if one is living off campus? and what about snow? when i was there it was COLD....what if you can't drive in the snow to classes? as weird as it may sound, that's my biggest fear....but seeing as how i'm from los angeles, you can understand...it rarely ever rains here, much less snow!!!!!! i don't know...what are you thinking mishie (since i know you've got your housing situation covered wylde :) )......

how big was the off campus apartment that you found? how much was it? and how far away from campus? this whole message has been one big question :D

:( :(

I want to join you guys so badly!

beponychick said:
:( :(

I want to join you guys so badly!

hang in there bepony......the waitlist hasn't even started moving yet!!!!!! :luck:

Hey Bepony... you don't happen to be that girl from Colorado do you?

I have some friends who live in Hershey and they say there is not an overabundance of off-campus housing. I believe there are only a couple of apartment complexes in the immediate area (Hershey is not that big of a town). Also, my friends didn't have a whole lot of good to say about those apt complexes. My friend sent me a local newspaper and there were a lot of 2 bedroom duplexes in the general area if you have a roommate lined up. Be careful because internet apartment searches sometimes bring up apartments in towns like "Mount Joy", "Elizabethtown", and "Marietta" and that's a longer commute than I want.

Did anyone hear at your interview if they're planning on getting wireless network anytime soon? I need to get a new laptop, but it would be more useful w/ wireless.

Whoever posted that message about Penn State being a big party school... quit smoking crack. The medical school at Hershey is the farthest thing from a party school. I live in State College and University Park is kinda a party school, but even it's overrated.

Did anyone happen to be watching "The Bachelor" and notice that medical student from Michigan... wow! :love:

When did y'all have your interviews?

There's already wireless in the vicinity of the library, and I spoke to an IT rep during 2nd look day. He said they were looking at campus-wide wireless as well as Palm/Pocket PC compatibility. Apparently there's still some debate on how they want to implement it.

Also, the school has a deal with local companies so that even students who live off-campus can get cheap cable and high-speed internet (can't remember if it's cable or dsl). In any case, it won't really put too big a dent in your wallet to not only have a wireless card in your new laptop, but also to get a wireless router at home as well. If you have multiple computers, game consoles, etc it'll save you the cost of extra cable/dsl modems.

Btw, we didn't have too hard a time locating apartments. Even those that are in "other towns" aren't far away usually. I guess it all depends on your perspective; I don't find a 10-20 commute a big deal. I had to drive more than that just to get partway across town in Tallahassee traffic.

WyldeWolf1 said:
There's already wireless in the vincinity of the library, and I spoke to an IT rep during 2nd look day. He said they were looking at campus-wide wireless as well as Palm/Pocket PC compatibility. Apparently there's still some debate on how they want to implement it.

Also, the school has a deal with local companies so that even students who live off-campus can get cheap cable and high-speed internet (can't remember if it's cable or dsl). In any case, it won't really put too big a dent in your wallet to not only have a wireless card in your new laptop, but also to get a wireless router at home as well. If you have multiple computers, game consoles, etc it'll save you the cost of extra cable/dsl modems.

Btw, we didn't have too hard a time locating apartments. Even those that are in "other towns" aren't far away usually. I guess it all depends on your perspective; I don't find a 10-20 commute a big deal. I had to drive more than that just to get partway across town in Tallahassee traffic.

a ten minute commute? i commute an hour and fifteen minutes (on a good day) to get to work now....man i hate la traffic sometimes....actually, all the time......
so there's dsl or cable modem in the on-campus and off campus housing then? that's good...anyone know how much it costs?

I've decided on Penn State. It was their curriculum that finally hooked me, even though the recieve the least state aid of ANY MD school in the US. I am waiting for my housing assignment (I sooo wanted a single bedroom place but I'm pretty sure that there is no way thats going to happen.) I'm also waiting for their orientation schedule to be poster or mailed or whatever (their website is pitifully out of date) but I think I will be on campus in early august. let me know who else is going to PSU

[email protected]