Official Penn State Class of 2008--come out come out!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
jmartin82 said:
I've decided on Penn State. It was their curriculum that finally hooked me, even though the recieve the least state aid of ANY MD school in the US. I am waiting for my housing assignment (I sooo wanted a single bedroom place but I'm pretty sure that there is no way thats going to happen.) I'm also waiting for their orientation schedule to be poster or mailed or whatever (their website is pitifully out of date) but I think I will be on campus in early august. let me know who else is going to PSU

[email protected]

hey j,

welcome to the penn state class of 2008....i guess i should get my housing situation settled..it sucks to be on waitlists you know...argh....

Members don't see this ad.

yeah, the housing application for psu is online:

https://www.hmc.psu.edu/housing/app/index.htm

just click on the Online Application for Medical and Graduate students.

a little news: like i said before the PSUCOM website is so out-of-date it is embarassing. There ARE broadband cable outlets in all of the apartments now, plus there is a WIFI network that reaches out to most of the campus.

There is still no posting about an orientation schedule, but it looks like last years started around aug. 10th. I called them the other day to see where my financial aid package was and what the deal with housing is, since i applied for housing monthes ago, and they told me I should get fin. aid stuff within a week or so and housing assignments come within two weeks.

well, I finished my last undergraduate exam this morning, now I'm just waiting around to graduate next Sunday. I guess I should get a job..... I don't think I want to work in another lab... but it is tempting in some ways. I have the feeling that this will be my last chance to have a normal, everday job, its kind of strange.

So, thats all I have to say I guess.. Anyone else out there know any other news info? I'd like to know a list of required books for 1st years so I can start picking them up off of http://www.capusi.com and half.com.

Anxiety is creeping like some slow moving vine.

that's really good to know that there's broadband....

i got my financial aid letter about a month ago, and let me just say, loans suck...that's all i got....i was hoping for a little grant of some sort, but no...anyone else in the same boat?

congratulations on graduating j!! but seriously, don't bother with the job if you don't have to....there's nothing great about a normal 9-5 job....if you can, use this time to go see friends, or travel, or whatever...i'd take a cross country trip, and see the biggest ball of twine, and try and eat a 72 oz. steak so i could get it for free...

it'd be nice if there were some first or second years on here who could give us the low down on what to do to get ready.....anyone out there? :p

Members don't see this ad :)
Doesn't seem to be many SDN-ers going to Penn State. Also, it seems like many who were accepted to Penn State have withdrawn. I guess that's good news for waitlisters.
Did you guys think the Penn State students were pretty good-looking, in general? I thought so. And my interviewing group had a couple of lovely young ladies in it, too! Yeehaw!

mercutio99 said:
Doesn't seem to be many SDN-ers going to Penn State. Also, it seems like many who were accepted to Penn State have withdrawn. I guess that's good news for waitlisters.
Did you guys think the Penn State students were pretty good-looking, in general? I thought so. And my interviewing group had a couple of lovely young ladies in it, too! Yeehaw!

hell yes, penn staters are hot...i'm probably going to be one, and i'm hot :p

and yeah, i hope the waitlist moves...people who get off the waitlist are always cool, because A) they really want to go there and B) for some reason i think waitlisted people are nicer.....

there are at least four of us going to penn state so far...not to mention those two or three waiting to get off of the waitlist...so we could have as many as six or seven penn staters on here...that's a lot...considering most people i know have no clue about this site.....and i'm assuming most premeds don't either....

i filled out my housing thing today, so that's done...if you hadn't of mentioned it, i probably would have put it off even longer.....and thanks to mishie for the link....i still have to get a physical done and my immunizations...i keep putting that off too....anything else i'm forgetting? transcripts..need to send those.....anything else? do we have to get our promissory notes signed now for financial aid?

Estoy de acuerdo. I agree that from my limited experience waitlisters seem to be more enjoyable to be around. Maybe the somewhat humbling experience of the waitlist gets rid of the pedantic attitude that many med students seem to have. Maybe they are just really excited to be getting into a school they really wanted. Some waitlisters tend to be a little less "nerdy" (and maybe a little hotter?). Also, they seem to have a little better perspective on life. I'm looking forward to meeting the Penn State Class of 2008 as compadres, not competition... and waitlisters tend to fit a more sociable mold. That's at least my take on it.

I can't wait to meet camstah! :love: I can't tell you how attractive that stellar Verbal Reasoning score is! Also, you can't beat a California tan (especially in Pennsylvania)!!! :)

Good luck waitlisters!!!

You guys are hilarious! Next thing you know, there'll be an online pre-med dating type thread on SDN :laugh:

Camstah, thanks for reminding me about the physical and immunizations and sending my transcript. After working so hard to pass my final semester, I would die if I forgot to mail the transcript!!

About the online housing form, when did you say you wanted the apartment for? I put down Aug. 1, but later read on the website that your chances of getting the apartment are greater if you put down July 1st. I called in and the lady confirmed this. Since housing is not guarunteed, I'm not sure if I should change my date from August to July. I don't want to pay the extra month's rent if i'm not going to be using the apartment, but I want to know that I will have a place to live next year.

~Mishie

mercutio99 said:
Estoy de acuerdo. I agree that from my limited experience waitlisters seem to be more enjoyable to be around. Maybe the somewhat humbling experience of the waitlist gets rid of the pedantic attitude that many med students seem to have. Maybe they are just really excited to be getting into a school they really wanted. Some waitlisters tend to be a little less "nerdy" (and maybe a little hotter?). Also, they seem to have a little better perspective on life. I'm looking forward to meeting the Penn State Class of 2008 as compadres, not competition... and waitlisters tend to fit a more sociable mold. That's at least my take on it.

I can't wait to meet camstah! :love: I can't tell you how attractive that stellar Verbal Reasoning score is! Also, you can't beat a California tan (especially in Pennsylvania)!!! :)

Good luck waitlisters!!!

yay for waitlisters!!
as for my tan, it's more of a farmer's tan...from driving...so if you find tan lower arms attractive (and the left half of my face, so random, i know), then i'm set :D

mishie said:
You guys are hilarious! Next thing you know, there'll be an online pre-med dating type thread on SDN :laugh:

Camstah, thanks for reminding me about the physical and immunizations and sending my transcript. After working so hard to pass my final semester, I would die if I forgot to mail the transcript!!

About the online housing form, when did you say you wanted the apartment for? I put down Aug. 1, but later read on the website that your chances of getting the apartment are greater if you put down July 1st. I called in and the lady confirmed this. Since housing is not guarunteed, I'm not sure if I should change my date from August to July. I don't want to pay the extra month's rent if i'm not going to be using the apartment, but I want to know that I will have a place to live next year.

~Mishie

hey mishie..i put down august 1st, because i don't plan on moving until then, and if it turns out that i don't get what i want (which was the two bedroom with washer and dryer) then i'll just see whether what i ended up with is better or living off campus is better.....and i don't know whether they tend to have a shortage of housing, so even if they say it isn't guaranteed, if they have enough, it won't matter anyway, right?

Hopefully someone here can help me clear a few things up. The Student Health website is at least a year out of date, and both they and the admissions office are taking their sweet time responding to my questions regarding immunizations/physicals.

What exactly needs to be sent to them prior to registration? There are forms on the student health website from last year's class, but one looks like records must be sent by July 1st while the other looks like it is supposed to be brought to registration. Looking at the immunization requirements from last year, I'm good to go, but I want the details before I go sending my medical records to every Tom, Dick, and Harry at PSU.

WyldeWolf1 said:
Hopefully someone here can help me clear a few things up. The Student Health website is at least a year out of date, and both they and the admissions office are taking their sweet time responding to my questions regarding immunizations/physicals.

What exactly needs to be sent to them prior to registration? There are forms on the student health website from last year's class, but one looks like records must be sent by July 1st while the other looks like it is supposed to be brought to registration. Looking at the immunization requirements from last year, I'm good to go, but I want the details before I go sending my medical records to every Tom, Dick, and Harry at PSU.

hey wylde,

did you get the health forms with your acceptance letter? it says on there (i think, i don't have them with me but i'm pretty sure) when you need to return them by....
i have a question though...for the loans we've been awarded, do we have to do anything to get them? i.e. will they send us the promissory notes to sign or do we have to do it on the financial aid website? this is so confusing....also, is anyone forced to get an alternative loan? how do we go about getting those? i wish the website had more info for med students (it seems there is a lot for undergrads....).....

camstah said:
hey wylde,

did you get the health forms with your acceptance letter? it says on there (i think, i don't have them with me but i'm pretty sure) when you need to return them by....
i have a question though...for the loans we've been awarded, do we have to do anything to get them? i.e. will they send us the promissory notes to sign or do we have to do it on the financial aid website? this is so confusing....also, is anyone forced to get an alternative loan? how do we go about getting those? i wish the website had more info for med students (it seems there is a lot for undergrads....).....

Thanks, Camstah. I'll have to dig through my files again to make sure I didn't overlook that form, I guess.

You have to select a lender for your loans. (I went with T.H.E. like most PSU students.) You can find most of the info and links at this address. You sign with the individual lender.

I went ahead and accepted the alternative loan in addition to the Stafford loans, mainly because we are trying to save for a house, and every little bit will help for the first year. Next year, with my wife's earnings to help, we should be able to reduce our dependence on loans. (That is, of course, assuming my parents' and grandparents' prayers for (great)grandchildren go unanswered.) *crosses fingers*

Btw, I don't know about the rest of you, but as the date of the "big move" gets closer, I find myself spending less and less time on SDN. I guess I'm trying to clean the slate for the coming year. The only advice/participation I'm engaging in as far as med school goes is editing personal statements for friends and referring them to these forums.

Anyway, I have started a Yahoo! Group just for the 2008 Lions here at SDN. The group is called SDN Lions ([email protected]). I'll work on the web features later, but for now you can send me an e-mail ([email protected]) if you'd like to be a part of our own little corner of the web. (The group is moderated for now to make sure we don't get any spam and/or inferior, ie non-Lion, e-mail.) Eventually, you'll be able to do everything from group e-mails to chatrooms and photo posts. Obviously, we are destined to be the clique that will make all of our classmates green with envy. :)

this thread has been entirely too quiet as of late......
anyone else going to penn state? anyone get off of the waitlist for those who were waiting? :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm still waiting to get in! Anyone know about the hold list situation at Penn State? If they take me I'll come ... :oops:

picklebee said:
I'm still waiting to get in! Anyone know about the hold list situation at Penn State? If they take me I'll come ... :oops:

nope, don't really know much about the hold list, but i really hope you get an acceptance!!! :luck: :luck: :luck:

Hey camstah,
You can add me to your impressive list. I've been looking all over SDN to find this thread and was thinking of starting one myself. Thank God I found yours! PSU was my first choice, my first interview, and my first acceptance (on Christmas Eve). I can't wait to start Orientation in August.

One problem, though--I don't have a place to live, nor someone with whom to share the apartment. Might I use this thread to seek a potential roomate? I guess I sorta already did.

Well, as long as you don't mind...I'm 22 male, Villanova graduate who lives in a little town called Souderton 30 NW of Philly. I bathe regularly. Love to watch and play sports. I'm a non-smoker who keeps my living space clean. I also play guitar/violin/piano. My new obsession is driving my Mazda 3 Hatchback.

Sorry for making this post sound like a ISO/dating ad, but I would like to find a roomate(s) and apt. ASAP. (I've got a few places in mind) I have a girlfriend of 2 years, so I can live with females without having them fear that I'll hit on them :) I won't hit on any male roomies either.

Thanks for letting me ramble, and I'll be back to check up on this thread from time to time. I look forward to talking to and meeting all of you. Go Lions!!!

Luan (pronounced Lon)

mghtymaus7 said:
Hey camstah,
You can add me to your impressive list. I've been looking all over SDN to find this thread and was thinking of starting one myself. Thank God I found yours! PSU was my first choice, my first interview, and my first acceptance (on Christmas Eve). I can't wait to start Orientation in August.

One problem, though--I don't have a place to live, nor someone with whom to share the apartment. Might I use this thread to seek a potential roomate? I guess I sorta already did.

Well, as long as you don't mind...I'm 22 male, Villanova graduate who lives in a little town called Souderton 30 NW of Philly. I bathe regularly. Love to watch and play sports. I'm a non-smoker who keeps my living space clean. I also play guitar/violin/piano. My new obsession is driving my Mazda 3 Hatchback.

Sorry for making this post sound like a ISO/dating ad, but I would like to find a roomate(s) and apt. ASAP. (I've got a few places in mind) I have a girlfriend of 2 years, so I can live with females without having them fear that I'll hit on them :) I won't hit on any male roomies either.

Thanks for letting me ramble, and I'll be back to check up on this thread from time to time. I look forward to talking to and meeting all of you. Go Lions!!!

Luan (pronounced Lon)

hey luan,

i know i started this thread, and i still love penn state, but i just got off of the waitlist at usc, so i won't be going.....it's a matter of location :oops:
but, as such, i will be dropping my spot at penn state tomorrow..so for anyone still on the waitlist, tomorrow would be a GREAT time to email the admissions office and say, hey, i'm still really interested......
i really really really hope one of you gets my spot.....i want it to go to the people who made me feel better when i felt like crap (like this morning) and made me even happier with their congratulations when i got in (like tonight!!!)......
good luck to everyone going to penn state...it's such an awesome school.....everyone there is soooo nice (including people on this thread)......
for the waitlistees-- :luck: :luck: :luck:

Hey Camstah,
Thanks for the tease! Anway, a million congratulations and best wishes to you. Say 'hi' to the California sun for me.

On a side note (I don't know if you even care)...I was extremely happy to watch the mighty Lakers look like the Clippers tonight against Detroit :laugh:

Good luck!

Luan

Just wanted to say hello to fellow Penn-staters! And thanks Luan for the email. I'm sorry that I cannot help you with the apartment situation. I put my housing info in and specified mid-July as my activation date, and they placed me with a 2nd-year student. I think it'll all be OK, I just hope that I get to meet bunches of little newbie 1st years like me.

I was looking over the past convos on this thread and yes, I too find myself getting a little nervous about moving to Hershey. I come from Chicago suburbia, where I have tons of family and friends, and I fear that I might miss having so much to do sitting around waiting for me to do it (I'm talking museums, theaters, malls). But in a sense it is good to not have the distractions. We'll probably be so crunched for time anyways, right?

I am actually a deferred student from last year's class. It was seriously strange to have this extended vacation from school, and I only hope I can adapt all right!

Hope everyone is enjoying their summer so far! And wyldewolf, I hope it's cool that I email you about that potential yahoo group...
:D Katie

Couldn't think of a decent login name, so I hope that all of you will tolerate the idiotic one that I came up with. Anyway, two wait-list possibilities look hopeless at this point, so I am basically fully committed to good ol' PSU and I managed to snag an on-campus single apartment from University Manor housing (I was told by the housing offices that the on-campus apartments get free cable internet from comcast!). Well, I just wanted to say hi and I am looking forward to meeting everyone soon. :thumbup:

Hey camstah, nice MCAT score. Especially a 15 in verbal - my brain was numb by the end of the first passage.

hey all. i got a call from dean lubbers and dr. davis yesterday offering me a spot for 2008. i interviewed in january and was waitlisted in march. looking forward to meeting all of you in august. i'm interested to know what else you know about housing. i guess i should recieve me paperwork by the end of the week.

Congrats on getting of the waitlist Paramedic1!
Let me know if you need a roomie after you've figured out your housing situation...I'm still looking for one and a place to stay.

Hey Nittany Lions (and camstah :mad: ),

If you guys haven't checked out the school's website lately, they've updated some of the info and there are some forms to fill out by July 16th. Just simple little forms concerning advisors, scrubs, etc.
Check it out!

http://www.hmc.psu.edu/md/students/orientation.html

I was just down at Hershey a couple of weeks ago and was reminded how little is in the town! Dang. I guess we'll have to be creative!
PSU1... I love sports, so we'll have to play some b-ball or watch the Yankees. You serious with that girlfriend, though? Cause I saw a couple of very lovely ladies at Hershey!

Enjoy the summer!!!

Hey everyone! I'm so excited to be able to talk to some of my classmates before school starts! My name is Adrienne, I was born and raised about 15 minutes from school so I wanted to let everyone know that if I could spend 22 years here, you'll all survive! If anyone has any questions regarding the area or what it is like to live here I'd love to help out! I have to head to work now but will be anxious to read all the posts tonight! :D

What's up all, just wanted to send a shout out to all you future Penn Staters. I have been in Hershey the last 2 years finishing a Master's at the college of medicine and I'm gonna be hanging out for another 4 years for med school, so any questions about housing, school, area, just drop me a line. I live on campus so I know how everything works. I'm hanging out in Baltimore this week, which will soon become one of the many places you will be visiting on the weekends to get out of Hershey, in adiition to DC, Philly, and NYC. Alright all, I'll see you in August, we all need to shake it up and get crazy orientation week before anatomy starts, till then, have fun.

Just an update on the group mailer/website I started.

The web content is sparse right now; I'm looking for suggestions. What do you guys and gals want to see? Members pictures? Graphic gross anatomy stills? Essays on how lazy you're being this summer? Some "must see/do" lists from ajwillie and Jags11ice? Send the ideas, pictures, etc my way!

If you want to subscribe, send an e-mail to:

[email protected]

and you'll be added shortly. Otherwise, see you in August!

(Btw, It's a private group; no one but the SDN Forum Lions get in, so no need to worry about someone outside of our community getting your info.)

How's everyone coming with loans? I applied to T.H.E. about 2 weeks ago about my Stafford Loan and they still have yet to get back to me :scared: Has anyone actually heard from them? I'm getting worried because I'm heading off for vacation on Sunday(2 weeks) and won't have the opportunity to take care of stuff if it doesn't get done!
Also, now that orientation begins August 9 I am getting extremely anxious about this whole thing. I just feel like I'm really rushed. I finally got my housing assignment, but it doesn't quell the anxiety. Please tell me someone else here is freaking out?

hey guys,

I applied to THE about 2 weeks ago too. I just recieved my promisory note a couple of days ago, and I think I just got all my stafford stuff in the mail today (sitting at my parents house). I'm still waiting to hear about housing, I applied for July 30 and havent heard anything. I am really disappointed in PSU's website tending, I wish they had something more interactive for the entering students, but oh well. I am planning to move down the first week of August. I am kind of freaked out b/c I've never been in the country before (I am from Rhode Island so 15 minutes from Providence, 1.5 hours from Boston and 2.5 hours from NYC). What is Harrisburg like? Is there a good bar scene? Good shopping? Hmmm.....I guess that about exhausts it... I should really get back to Simpsons season 4 DVDs. Keep posting!

~j

Hey everyone! After Luan's compelling e-mail, I thought I would sign up for this thing.
So here's a little about me: I'm a male, 22, and went to Penn State University Park for my undergrad. My bro just graduated this spring from PSUCOM, so I'll pass on the wisdom as I get it :) . I just got on-campus housing in University Manor East (164B if anyone wants to stop by). I'm moving in on July 31. I think that I'll actually like the quiet surroundings in Hershey but will continue to hate the PA weather. I'm definitely moving somewhere warm after school. That's all for now.

Drop me a line if you like: AIM: Babuski221

Vijay

And here I am thinking "Hallelujah! I'm finally escaping this horrible Florida humidity! Back to seasons and snow!" I guess Florida's okay if you're actually on the coast; otherwise, it's like living in a boiling swamp. Good luck to all the new UF students; welcome to my hell.

Unfortunately, I moved from Kentucky to Florida years before I could drive, so I'm probably going to kill myself the first day the roads ice over. Snow tires are better than chains, right?

WyldeWolf1 said:
And here I am thinking "Hallelujah! I'm finally escaping this horrible Florida humidity! Back to seasons and snow!" I guess Florida's okay if you're actually on the coast; otherwise, it's like living in a boiling swamp. Good luck to all the new UF students; welcome to my hell.

Unfortunately, I moved from Kentucky to Florida years before I could drive, so I'm probably going to kill myself the first day the roads ice over. Snow tires are better than chains, right?
Don't worry, it doesn't snow all that much here(not like NY or further north). AND if it does snow, almost everything closes and cancels, it's kinda sad actually. While the humidity may not be as bad here in central PA, it still stinks...pray for air conditioning!

Hey guys...

I'm hoping to get all my health forms shipped in, but I may have a problem. I have all the required vaccinations, but I don't believe I've had any of the lab work done (i.e. measles, mumps, etc. titers). Is that lab work absolutely necessary? If it's due July 1st that doesn't give me much time and kinda stinks.

Remember Winnie from the admissions office? Well, I heard she's teaching anatomy this year. :) Okay, maybe not but she's pretty sweet.

My doctor simply wrote down when I had measles/mumps vaccinations when I was a kid. I didn't get any bloodwork done. Do you have old records that they might go by?

Hmmm... my doctor filled in all my vaccinations, but left the second lines concerning lab work and titers blank.
I've had the vaccinations, but i don't know that i've ever had the blood work so my records wouldn't help.
I think they might be necessary, though. For example, under measles they have: 1) vaccinations AND 2) titers. The "AND" is in bold.
I don't know and would prefer just to mail it in as is :)

As you already stated, the form states that dates of vaccination and titers are required. Lab results are to be attached to the form. Barring contradicting information from the student health office, I'd say you need to have the titers done. (They take a few days to come back, so do it soon.)

hi there,

ive lived in rhode island for 22 years and we get plenty of snow and ice, but apparantly not as bad as hershey. Since it is inland the weather is worse in the winter, but that is just heresay from the national weather service. But what I do know is this: when I interviewed the roads were iced over worse than I have ever seen in my entire life, all thin black ice, it was really quite scary. Bat after all is said and done the harsh winters make you appreciate the rest of the year much more.

Hey all,
It's great that people are starting to post in here ;)
About the health forms, it's true that you need both proof of immunization AND titers from lab. When my mumps titer came back equivocal, I was told by the Student Health Office to get my MMR Booster. They also recommended a Tetanus booster and told me that I had neglected to get the Hepatitis B titer done. Of course I get that done and my numbers are in the low range. Nonetheless, I mailed them a copy of the test result and I'm praying that they don't force me to get the entire series of vaccinations again.

Is the ice/snow really that bad in Hershey? I've lived in the Philly area most of my life where schools let out for the day if there's mroe than 2 inches of snow sticking on the ground. Snow tires are definitely a must then.

I still have no idea where I'm gonna stay next year. I sent in a form requesting on-campus housing in early January (with late July/early August move-in date), but so far nothing. You guys who know where you're living are pretty lucky!

Last, but not least, I ran across this website again, so I thought I'd share with you. It's farily accurate too...scary!

http://www.smalltime.com/dictator.html

Enjoy!

Luan

Okay... I concede and will get the lab work done.
I'm no longer covered by my parents' insurance and I'm waiting until orientation week to sign up with the school's policy, so does anyone have any idea approximately how much $$$ the lab work is gonna run?
I guess the "Band of Brothers" DVD set is gonna have to wait!

And thanks y'all for the help.

Hey everyone,
I haven't been so ruthless about checking email since commencement, but--
my name's Ann. I'm from New York, I went to school in Boston and I'm looking forward to August (eek! that's the first time I'll be in school so *early*).

Well. Nice to meet all of you!

Ann

So I guess assuming that your doctor took care of everything is risky. I am leaving for a Hawaiian vacation tomorrow and will not be back until July 5th. Please, everyone, pray that the student health office will grant me an extention for my titers so that I can have my bloodwork done when I return. I'm freaking out that I could have overlooked what my doctor must have as well...time to look for a new doctor! :(
I'll be calling the student health office Monday morning from the San Francisco airport and begging for an extension. What confuses me is that I submitted all my paperwork to them a month ago and they never responded with missing information. Oh well, I'm not going to run the risk of not being able to attend class because I neglected to call student health.
Please keep your fingers crossed for me! :luck:

I wouldn't let it ruin your vacation ajwillie!
I don't know for sure (I'm calling on Monday, too), but I don't think they'd have a problem extending the titer deadline. For one, I don't think they were exceptionally clear (even if "AND" was in bold) and they haven't communicated all that well. Secondly, what about wait-listers who just got accepted or haven't even received notification of acceptance yet??? I believe there are applicants that might not hear until a few weeks if not days before classes start.

Have fun in San Francisco!

I called the Student health office and told them I'd send everything but the titers by the July 1st deadline. The lady said that was okay, so maybe you can just call and let them know everything's on the way.

:)
Ann

so I called the housing office today, and was told that all that is left is four bedroom apts on manor west. My move-in day was July 30th so I guess that was later than I should have said. I don't know if I should start looking for an off campus apt or just deal with it (there is only one bathroom for 4 people). What do you guys think?

hi everyone!! thank you for the email luan, im glad there's people out there that decided to take the initiative to bring us together before we're all thrown in headfirst come august (it cant be THAT tough, CAN IT??)

so, if i may take a moment to introduce myself :cool: my name is jess, i'm from manchester, pa, and havent moved anywhere else since i was brought home from york hospital on december 26, 1981. isnt that sad?? :p anyway, im sorry i cant help anybody out with the whole apartment thing, ive determined that since it takes me, on average, 37 minutes to get my car from my garage to the parking garage at hershey, ill hopefully be good with commuting, at least for the next year.

i feel awfully guilty about my smoothly paved path into penn state now that i've read about the plights of the waitlisters out there! i graduated with a bs in biology from york college this spring, and somehow i was lucky enough to get into penn state without too many roadblocks. i was in the early assurance program that penn state has in conjunction with several local colleges, and i made it through thank god! ive read all the postings of this thread, and im happy to be in the company of such awesomely cool people for the next 4 years :D

since i too am a local (sup ajwillie?!), i can reassure you that the winters here are not that bad, and that even though hershey may seem small, there is stuff to see and do in harrisburg and other local areas (if youre willing to search/get creative a little bit :) ). i also know a couple of students that graduated a year before me from york college and were 1st years at penn state this year, so as i get the lowdown from them, ill be sure to pass it on. so far, what they told me is this: make sure to go on plenty of vacations (or maybe one damn nice one!!) this summer, and take time to really enjoy life. dont worry about school at all (though thats hard to do with all those forms and other things we have to get in to the school!!). they said that its not nearly as difficult as what you might think, and one even said that she took every weekend off from studying, and she did great.

i better quit while im ahead, since im notorious for writing long, boring novels on the internet. im looking forward to hearing more from all of you!!! penn state rocks!!!!!!!!

Thanks Jess for the shout out :thumbup: Someone had to do it, right? I'm surprised not more people have decided to post on this thread.
So next year I'm going to have to buddy up with you, Jess and Vijay since you guys know so many former/current PSU students :) Seriously, though, I'm going to echo what Jess mentioned--everyone here seems very nice and I can't wait to talk to ya'll next month.

On a different note, I'm really getting frustrated with the whole PSU on-campus housing situation. Thanks jmartin82 for posting about your call to the housing office. I had asked for a double, but apparently only 4 bedroom apts. are left. I'm not sure when they were going to tell me that I HAD to find off-campus housing. Jess, I still can't believe you're going to be making that 30+ min commute. Craziness. You're gonna have to let me know how that works out for you!

JMartin, if you decide to find off-campus housing and need a roomate, let me know. I think there's still plenty of apt. with 2 bedroom/2 baths around Hershey/Hummelstown area. If you don't want a roomate, I'm going to find a 1 bedroom apt, but I have to find one soon. I don't want to stress about this in mid-July. Let me know, man.

I apologize for the long post. Keep them coming!

Luan

Hi everyone,
My name's Jen and I guess I can now call myself a second year at Penn State COM. I absolutely love it in Hershey! :love: There is plenty to do at local places and even more to do in Harrisburg, although generally they keep us busy enough so we don't even know what we're missing.
I've been skimming through all the questions flying around this thread, so I'll do what I can to clarify some things for everyone. First, I live on campus in UME in a two bedroom, no washer/dryer (they are very hard to come by!). Although they're called the Kennels, I absolutely love my apartment. Compared to undergrad housing at most colleges, they're palaces! They might not look so hot from the outside, but I did what I could with what they gave me and I think it looks quite nice and homey, actually. Put up a few paintings, add some furniture, and it's a great place to stay for a few years. Yes, the kitchens are small (essentially just a hallway), but they are actually well-lit and have plenty of cabinet space. One thing to note though is that you absolutely must bring plenty of lights for the living room and bedroom - there is no overhead lighting in those areas.
Another cool thing about the on-campus housing is....free cable internet! No need to even pay for cable TV, no need to buy a cable modem - housing provides everything for you. They have worked out a deal with Comcast to give some type of discount for off-campus students, but it's nothing close to being free. And yes, rent is very cheap - I think it's now $390something per month per person - not bad considering all utilities are included.
As for orientation, it starts August 9, so the white coat ceremony will be August 13 I believe. You should be able to access all the forms online now, I think. It's a fun, busy, exhausting week with lots of the necessary meetings as well as some fun events with my class. Some people were asking about the titers - if you don't complete them now, student health will hound you later. It is mandatory to have the titers drawn and the results sent to PSU. I would suggest getting them drawn now while you're still on mom and dad's insurance, if you still can!
I'm not sure what other questions were flying around, but feel free to post and I'll try to respond. If you have more detailed or personal questions you can email me - [email protected]. Hope this helps, and let me know if you need more info!
Jen

Thanks for posting all those answers to our questions, Jen. Congrats on completing your first year :)

So I called the housing office today and they offered me the same thing that you were talking about JMartin--$390/month for a 4 bedroom apt. unit on Manor West. I decided to take it to get the housing situation over with. No one wants to room with me :( But I think this would work out best. The lady I spoke with said that if some units on East open up, some of us in the 4 bedroom apts. would be able to move into those singles/doubles/triples. It's also nice that the units on West are furnished.

All right, now all I have to do is send the Student Affairs office a wallet-sized picture of myself. hmmmm...Is everyone else using their college senior pics? I have mine, but I feel like being a little more creative. I'm guessing that these pics are going to be compiled into some sort of directory...any thoughts?

I'm guessing the pictures will be for some sort of orientation week directory or white coat ceremony program. They take new pictures of everyone after the ceremony for those plaques you see in all medical school hallways.

I had some creative ideas for the photo. Perhaps a baby picture or one of me WAAAAAAY in the background with an arrow indicating my position, but in the end I'm sure I'll send the nice one the professional photographer took. You know---the one I use as my avatar.

From what I remember (wow, last August seems so long ago!) the pics go on a bulletin board in the hallway with name and school listed. They take pics the first or second day of orientation with everyone in a white coat, then give every first year a "composite" after a few weeks (so they're not actually taken at the ceremony). I just thought I'd fill in some gaps....