*OFFICIAL* POST-BAC/GRAD THREAD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CoffeeCat

SDN Angel
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
All right, I admit that I wanted to start my own "Official" thread. However, I have noticed a lot of questions about grad and post-bac programs and I'm asking anyone who has had experience with one to post information about it. I know the options, but not people's personal experience with them and I think that would help. Also, posting where your classmates got in would help. Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Heya Coffeecat - I've copied/pasted my response to Jaray who had a question about the Harvard Extension posbac program:

Hi Jaray - I did the program from 2/99-1/01 (it took me two year P/T since I also worked several jobs at the same time, although my last semester I worked and went to school F/T which surprisingly was quite doable). It's a tough program academically, but the support is there - mainly in the form of your peers (i.e. study groups etc). The advisor is realistic but encouraging about the whole medical school prcoess and was quite accessible. I liked the cheap tuition (it was $485 per 4-credit lab course) but that was ofset by the tremendously high cost of living in Boston/Cambridge. At the time, I was struggling to decide between a no-name post-bac program in NYC since I'd get to live at home, or Harvard post-bac and be peniless for a couple of years. I'm glad I chose the latter. Also, I went to a good undergrad school, and I didn't want admissions officers to think I was copping out academically during my post-bac years so I wanted a program that would be academically challenging. I think we (my friends and I) at first thought how hard can it be - particularly bio which most people take as their first class. Well it was like taking a graduate level genetics course since the instructor (also the pre-med advisor) is a geneticist. It was tough! But we learned over and above what we needed to know for the MCAT. Each course (with the exception of bio which met twice a week) meets once a week, yet you have to come in weekly for lab and discussion section. It wasn't uncommon to attend more than one discussion section (to get different viewpoints) AND to attend office hours like crazy. Whatreally pulled people through was study groups - I had one for each subject and we met weekly - not just before exams - they helped tremendously. I'm not sure why, but it seems that a lot of people do not complete the post-bac program or if they do, they go into another field - not that there's anything wrong with that. But out of my close circle of friends, 2 went off to do an MPH 1, did her MEd and is teaching in Cali, and another is unsure of what she wants to do. Another good friend of mine applied last year like me and unfortunately only received one interview this year and is now waitlisted.
Overall I have been very satisfied with the program. If you're thinking abot doing it, call up Dr. Fixsen or Dr. peterson (their numbers should be on <a href="http://www.dce.harvard.edu)" target="_blank">www.dce.harvard.edu)</a> and talk to them about your plans. If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask!

OOps to answer your question specifically - you would be a great candidate regardless of your science background. A lot of people were career changers and were successful. My background was a little different in that I had taken some of the intro classes in undergrad and done poorly, so I took them again in the post-bac and some upper-level courses. And yes, luckily, I am happy to say that I have been successful this year (went on 8/13 interviews, 4 acceptances with a half-tuition scholarship at one, 1 "high-priority" waitlist, and currently waiting on one more school) with my med school applications My undergrad advisor and per-med dean never believed in me (they were always telling me to think about plan B i.e. anything but med school) but I got total support from the post-bac program. So it can be done!!!

Thanks E'01!

I have a few questions about the Harvard Extension Program if you don't mind :D

1. Is this program mostly for people who don't have the science or for people who need a GPA boost?

2. Does the program have any links to med schools?

3. Is it a unified program where you have a group of people taking classes together or do you just pick a few classes and go?

4. It sounds as though it's not very successful?

5. Can you complete it in a year?

6. If you're applying that year, do you get grades in time to send them out and make a difference?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey coffeecat no problem whatsoever... Anything for a fellow SDN-er :) I've answered your questions down below...

•••quote:•••Originally posted by CoffeeCat:
•Thanks E'01!

I have a few questions about the Harvard Extension Program if you don't mind :D

1. Is this program mostly for people who don't have the science or for people who need a GPA boost? Both! Thats the neat thing about it. Granted, most people it seemed fell in the first category.

2. Does the program have any links to med schools? No (Columbia, U Conn I believe, and some other post-bacs do). It's a neat idea, but I didn't want to limit myself. None of the linkage schools that the above post-bacs offer, really appealed to me...no offense to anyone. I just wanted to be able to have full choice of where I could apply at the end of the day.

3. Is it a unified program where you have a group of people taking classes together or do you just pick a few classes and go? This is a toughie for some people - oone of the reasons that people leave according to the pre-med advisor (I met with him before I enrolled). It's highly independent. No hand-holding. If you want a supportive and cohesive environment, it's up to you to do that - i.e. get out there and know people. At first it may be a little hard, because people are on such different schedules. A lot of people work FT and/or doing volunteer work. But you can do it. Columbia walks you through the process I believe and try to re-create an undergrad pre-med experience (my view is limited since I only attended an orientation) whereas harvard leaves you to do the work. BUT, the two advisors are EXTREMELY supportive. What worked for me was having a definite plan with timeline then approaching my advisor for feedback. In other words, don't expect them to do the work for you.

4. It sounds as though it's not very successful? The program is very successful for people who complete it. The advisor (Dr. Fixsen) and program director (Dr. Peterson) can give you stats. They're pretty high. I had mentioned that a good friend of mine only received one interview, but I should had mentioned that her degree is from a small school in Russia and quite a few med schools told her outright not to apply or if she did, she'd be at a distinct disadvantage.

5. Can you complete it in a year? Sure! To be honest though, 3 or more lab science course taken at once is a little heavy. But it can be done - particularly if you are not working FT.

6. If you're applying that year, do you get grades in time to send them out and make a difference? Certainly! You just need to have your pre-requisites done. You can take upper-level classes while you're applying and submit your grades when you get them. One teeny thing: Harvard charges $500 for the committee letter. BUT they do a good job.

If you have any more questions please ask!
Thanks!•••••

"I'm a big fan of Post-bacc programs. It's a shame we can't just erase all of our undergrad goof-ups, but it's good to know that there is a way to show adcoms we are serious candidates for their school. My undergrad grades were horrible! :mad: But a successful postbacc stint got me into the medschool of my choice! Thanks Postbacc! :clap: "

Thanks E'01!

Future Doc, which postbac? Could you share with us?!

•••quote:•••Originally posted by CoffeeCat:
•Future Doc, which postbac? Could you share with us?!•••••It was at my state school. It's not your typical "post-bacc" program where you have to compete for available spots. (I think most state schools are setup this way.) Pretty much, everyone that wants to take courses registered as a post-bacc can just as long as they have an undergrad degree.

Am I right in saying that most state schools are this way? I'm just going by what I've heard and read.

The harvard post-bac is set up the same way. You don't have to apply to get in. You just write an essay and you're in more or less. I think if you have less than a 3.0 undergrad GPA, they may something. The only thing is that once you're officially in the program then in order to get sponsored (get a committee letter from them) you need to earn at least a B in each class and depending on what your undergrad GPA is, complete a certain amount of classes. So, the lower your undergrad GPA is, the more post-bac classes you need to take with a B or better in each. If your undergrad GPA is lower than a 3.0 the above applies but you also need to get a 30 on the MCAT to be sponsored. Not everyone goes through harvard for their committee letter - you can ask your alma mater.

Thanks for all the info on the Harvard program! I really appreciate it. I received the application in the mail today, and I am a little unclear as to whether or not entry is competitive. It says all the courses are open enrollment, but there are a number of typical application questions. Also, do I definitely need to enroll in the premed program before starting the coursework? Thanks so much.

*bump*

Anyone else care to share their post-bac/grad experience? Thanks :D

I went to Tufts.

I applied to all the post-bacc programs in Boston and really found Tufts to be the best one. (Admissions directors at medical school rate it as one of the best in the country. You required to take 6 classes at Tufts to be eligible for the committee recommendation letter--at Brandeis it is 7. They teach Orgo in the summer--at Wellesley, they require 6 courses and teach none over the summer.)

The Tufts program is expensive, but it boasts a 90+% acceptance rate to med/dental/allied health school the first time around. You take classes with regular undergrads, so there is no doubt that your curriculum and science experience is sub-par, which can be the case with some extension school programs. And the classes are rigorous and very good preparation for the MCAT. The administrative support is pretty good and they organize workshops for you on studying science, time management, and applying to med school. (I just held one of these workshops recently myself.)

You can conceivablY finish Tufts in 1 year. I did, but I did not have to take Biology. A colleague of mine did it by taking 3 lab courses simultaneously in the Fall and Spring and taking Orgo in the summer.

Another cool thing is the job situation--the jobs that Tufts students hold at Mass General, Brigham and Women's, etc., tend to passed down from one generation of Tufts post-baccs to another. I did not take advantage of this, but many of my friends did--it's mostly clinical research, but there are other jobs as well. One guy helped run a path lab!

Tufts feeds pretty heavily into Tufts Med. Actually, you can apply jointly to the post-bacc program and to Tufts Med. If you are accepted to this program, you need to maintain a 3.4 GPA at Tufts and score a 27 or above on the MCAT. (I think the GPA thing may be somewhat flexible, however.)

Overall, Tufts was a great experience, and I feel that it was integral in my pretty successful application year.

If you have any questions, you can always PM me!

Good luck!
mma

Hunter college has one and its a lot cheaper than Columbia (the only difference is that at Columbia you get a certificate (=bullsh-t) and the name. Hunter has an connection with Weill-Cornell and they save two spots a year for students from Hunter (1undergrad and 1 postbacc student)

I'm at Hunter right now doing postbacc classes (basically taking and retaking classes) to improve my sci gpa.

I'm counting on the straight Masters program to get me in. I graduated with my BS in Biology in '95 with some pretty sad numbers. Since then I've been working as a full time Paramedic/Firefighter and have had some pretty good experiences. I'll be finishing by first year of grad school in May and as long as Biochem II is kind to me I'll maintain my new and improved 4.0gpa. Man I hope the Adcoms will overlook my past!

Members don't see this ad :)
mma,

Did you say that if you maintain a 3.4 and score a 27 on the MCAT then you are virtually guaranteed a spot in the Med School class?

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Pip413:
•mma,

Did you say that if you maintain a 3.4 and score a 27 on the MCAT then you are virtually guaranteed a spot in the Med School class?•••••If you complete Tufts post-bacc w/ 3.4/27 you're guaranteed an interview.

Since this is an *OFFICIAL* thread for post-bacc and grad stuff, my two cents is that I like research a lot so I am going to Wash U for a PhD. If I still want the MD, I'll apply afterwards so I can be a MD/PhD and teach, do research, and see patients.

I am one happy Mastodon.

Homer J. is right--if you have a 3.4 and 27MCAT you are guaranteed an interview. Tufts unofficially reserves many places in their med school classes for people who went to Tufts for any reason, so many of us post baccs are accepted to Tufts, as well.

To be guaranteed acceptance, you have to apply to the joint program--you apply to the post bacc program and the med school (special non-AMCAS application) simultaneously. You must interview for the joint program, as well. But, if you are accepted to the joint program, as soon as you finish your pre med reqs and take the MCAT, as long as your GPA stays at 3.4 or higher and your MCAT is 27 (the GPA is flexible in some cases, but the MCAT is rigid), you can start at Tufts med. (This means that you do not have a glide year--the year during which most post baccs apply to med school. You start med school as soon as you finish post bacc. You do have to complete the AMCAS for this step, but your only deadline is the AMCAS deadline. You do not have to complete a secondary or pay any additional secondary fees.)

Entry into the joint program is competitive. In my entering class of 10, one person was accepted to the joint. I did not apply to the joint program, but I do think it is worthwhile if you want to save time and stay in Boston.

Good luck!

mma

bump for peabody and others...

I went through Temple's post bac program from 5/00-5/01 (took all the pre-reqs). From what I've been reading on this post it is similar to Tufts in that there is a linkage to Temple Med for those who are interested. Apparently they do set aside something like 5 seats for this linkage. There is an application process for post bacs wishing to attempt the linkage with reqs such as maintaining a 3.5 in the program, at least 9s on every section of the 'CAT, having at least a 3.0 undergrad gpa, and completing the AMCAS app. As mentioned above this can save you the lag year between completing the post bac and entering med school. I would have tried this route myself, but my undergrad gpa was well below the minimum. Personally, things worked out for me anyway as I still made it into Temple Med. I do know some that went through the post bac with me, however, that are now MS-1s.

If you'd like to be in illinois, Northwestern has a 1yr MS in neurobiology or physiology. It looked to me like a great program and only 26K. You can't beat that!

•••quote:•••Originally posted by shorrin:
•If you'd like to be in illinois, Northwestern has a 1yr MS in neurobiology or physiology. It looked to me like a great program and only 26K. You can't beat that!•••••actually i had looked into applying to this program; i did my undergrad in biology at northwestern, so i thought it would be nice to continue on with professors i already knew. this program is at the evanston campus, not the chicago campus where the med school is, by the way. anyway, the reason why i never applied was because there was a note enclosed with my application that there would be zero institutional financial aid available for grad students for the year i was trying to do the program. this means that all that was available was federal loans. whether this is still a problem today, i don't know--but taking out 26K in loans before med school (and its own debt load begins ) is a lot of money. just a caveat.

Thank you so much for this thread!! I am currently waiting to hear from Penn's post-bacc program, and I am starting to get antsy...

ussdfiant - I'm interested to hear more about Temple's program. I wasn't aware that they offered linkage to Temple Med - could you e-mail me with more info? (I only currently have the application info that they have provided online, and it says nothing about linkage) I'm new to SDN and not sure how the PM thing works...

Thanks and good luck to all!
Kristen
[email protected]

•••quote:•••Originally posted by kas141:
•ussdfiant - I'm interested to hear more about Temple's program. I wasn't aware that they offered linkage to Temple Med - could you e-mail me with more info?

•••••Hi Kristen,

Rather than get second hand info from me, let me give you a number so you can get it right from the horse's mouth. Give Dr. Bill Nathan a call at 215-204-8669. He the director of the post bac program (and a trip) and he can give you the specifics about the linkage and the program in general. Tell him that George is spreading the word after getting into Temple Med!

I started post-bac at Columbia. Now I am bankrupt :( I did love the school and people, but you have to be in a good position to quit working and pay that tuition for 2yrs.
I still have to finish up some post-bac and raise my gpa. I also started looking into Georgetown's special masters. One year, but again a crapload of money! The one thing I do like about it is the direct comparison to medical school. What else can be more convincing to an adcom than 1st yr med school? I know it's not exactly 1st yr med and it's only one year's work, but jeepers! If that doesn't prove something than I'm at a loss.
BUT-- some pre-med advisors tell me that these programs are likely not necessary. although they boast 80-90% acceptance rates-- it depends on HOW they figure this-- usually it's fudged. Also, the students in these programs were likely to get into med school soon anyway. Sometimes it's just time,some more work and a little luck that pushes you into the "accepted" category.
I don't know... I'm still torn about this type of program. Time isn't on my side, I'm not getting any younger here.. :rolleyes: However, I don't have money to burn either. If finances weren't an issue, I guess a program like Georgetown's would be great. Probably a great experience as well!

mma, could you tell me where to look for info online on the post-bacc program at Tufts that you were in? Thank you so much!!!!

Hi botticelli,

This is the link:

<a href="http://ase.tufts.edu/gradstudy/postbac.htm" target="_blank">http://ase.tufts.edu/gradstudy/postbac.htm</a>

It is a pretty informative website, but I can answer any questions you may have. You can pm me or email me!

I look forward to hearing from you!

mma

Thanks, mma!! Sent you a PM.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by ussdfiant:
•I went through Temple's post bac program from 5/00-5/01 (took all the pre-reqs). From what I've been reading on this post it is similar to Tufts in that there is a linkage to Temple Med for those who are interested. Apparently they do set aside something like 5 seats for this linkage. There is an application process for post bacs wishing to attempt the linkage with reqs such as maintaining a 3.5 in the program, at least 9s on every section of the 'CAT, having at least a 3.0 undergrad gpa, and completing the AMCAS app. As mentioned above this can save you the lag year between completing the post bac and entering med school. I would have tried this route myself, but my undergrad gpa was well below the minimum. Personally, things worked out for me anyway as I still made it into Temple Med. I do know some that went through the post bac with me, however, that are now MS-1s.•••••How low was your GPA? I'm considering some Post Bac schools in the Philly area, i live in SJ, but I have a 2.3 GPA with a BA in Econ. I was a chem major but switched my soph year ... wish I would have known then what I know now! I really would like to get into a Post bac program and finish requirements. Additionally, can I retake some of teh classes I took orginally for brush up?

•••quote:•••Originally posted by mshheaddoc:
•[How low was your GPA? I'm considering some Post Bac schools in the Philly area, i live in SJ, but I have a 2.3 GPA with a BA in Econ. I was a chem major but switched my soph year ... wish I would have known then what I know now! I really would like to get into a Post bac program and finish requirements. Additionally, can I retake some of teh classes I took orginally for brush up?•••••I had a 2.21 from Penn and a BA in history. I graduated in 1994 and yes, I retook classes that I had done poorly in. For more info I really would call Dr. Nathan at 215-204-8669 and let him know where you are coming from and if Temple's program is right for you.

Question-
As I've said in my earlier post(s), I'm currently waiting for official acceptance into a post-bac program starting in the fall. Would it be helpful or harmful to take a class (ie Bio) over the summer? Temple is offering the class and the class schedule works well with my work schedule, but I'm wondering if a "random class" will look bad come med school time. I really want to get a head start on things so I can get these classes finished!!

Thanks guys!

PS I got an interview for Penn's post-bacc program!! Yay!! :D

Just to add my two cents. I'm finishing up Harvard Post-BAc and have been very happy with it.

I completed in 1 year by doing Gen Chem over the summer and taking Orgo, Bio and Phys all at once. I do not work and I made this my full time job. It was not over whelming (except for last week, three test back to back to back).

Start with Gen Chem the Prof is very good and sets the tone for the program. As has already been mentioned study groups here are the key. You must form one but it is easy to do as most students are in the same boat.

A lot of people don't finish the program, probably for many different reasons, but if your serious enough then it works very well.

My thought is that if your entering a post-bac program stick with their classes. Unless timing is an issue with you, like me and you just want to get done and apply ASAP.

Good luck and see you on the other side.

You need an INTERVIEW for a post bac program?!

Has anyone done a Georgetown masters in physio?

This is some info about the IMS program at MCP. I talked about this on an earlier thread but don't know how to link stuff (I am computer ******ed).

I am not sure how much you know so sorry if this is a somewhat long reply. The IMS program consists of 38 units of coursework. There is five units of a medical ethics class and the remaining are science courses. The courses are the exact same as those taken by the medical students at MCP Hahnemann. Same book. Same professor. Same exams. Same small groups and discussion sections. The only difference is that the lectures are broadcast to us at a location different from the medical students. But make no mistake your perfermance is measured against the med students and everything possible is done to make it as fair and accurate comparison as possible. The only major course that we do not take is Anatomy. In the fall we take 22 units (Histology/Microanatomy, Biochemistry, Immunology, Physiology, Nutrition and medical ethics) and in the spring we take 16 (neuroscience replaces microanatomy). The grading is based on the following principle. The medical students' average is a B, one standard deviation above the mean and one below constitutes an A and C respectively. Another advantage here is that the program is not cut-throat competitive and the atmosphere is quite cooperative. This is due to the fact that our averages and scores do not affect the med students and there is no curve to be set by the IMS students since the mean that they are measured against comes from the med students and not by measuring themselves against others in the program. Is it difficult to get an A? Yes. But not impossible. The first semester was extremely difficult but if you come in with the approach that your classwork comes first and everything else is secondary you can definitely perform well. An A grade cutoff, usually the top 15% of the class, tended to be around 88-91% (means were usually 8-10 points lower). Did the program work? Yes. Everyone who maintained a B average or higher received a guaranteed interview at MCP. Out of about 100 students about 40-50 or so got the interview and of those about 15-20 or so got accepted while most of the others were waitlisted with a good chance of admission as the year progresses. Overall, I would say that about two-thirds of the students have been accepted to med schools this year (and some excellent ones at that). Some of the students that were not accepted did not apply while many of the others are going to stay another year to get their masters and enhance their chances of admission. I am needless to say a big fan of this program. Comparing this program to others similar I would encourage you to look at how many units are taken in the fall (since these will be the grades that Adcoms will look at if you apply that year), how many units are taken in the medical school and how many are graduate courses, school location and reputation (for me of lesser importance), the attitude and environment of the program (are students pitted against each other in a Lord of Flies manner?) and finally cost (IMS: $16,000/year). I will post this message on SDN as well. Good luck!

i'm applying to Northwestern's 1 year accelerated masters in neurobiology & physiology for fall in case i don't get it this year...does anyone have any personal insight/experience w/ this program?

i'm opting for this one instead of GT's, BU's, or Finch's b/c it's a real masters in the sense that you do original research and will have to defend your thesis at the end of the year.

anyhow, anyone?

Does anyone know if your post bacc GPA is factored into your overall science GPA undergrad or is it a different GPA all together? In othger words, do they delineate between your undergrad science GPA and post-bacc science GPA?

Also, anyone doing post bacc at Georgetown?

I believe that undergrad post-bac gpa is usually averaged with your undergrad gpa. this may be school dependent, but it is the likely case. however, Grad gpa is NOT averaged in with your undergrad gpa. something to keep in mind for your apps. :)

BUMP...for anyone thinking of a post-bac program or willing to share their experiences :)

Well I took the Non Traditional route.

Graduated from UCLA as an Undergrad now completing my Masters and just recetly received a secondary from UCLA.

My undergrad GPA was a 3.23 with nice overall trend upward (double majored in Physiological Science & History)

and my Masters Program GPA (completed all core courses just need to finish my thesis which should be done by december) is a 3.84.

So from this experience and the amount of notice i'm receiving so far...I think it was the best thing.

Also, I recieved two No Passes and I withdrew from two courses as an undergrad. So all in all...Grad school was the best move i've made so far. I'll let you know if i got in.

Hope that helps.

Uh, I didn't take any sort of post-bac program, did all my post bac work at UCLA (either through their extension program or as a concurrently enrolled student) and managed to finish all my requirements at very little expense. Honestly, I don't understand why people bother with expensive post-bac programs-- all the classes are readily available at your local university, and if it's a state school it's usually at a fraction of the cost.

bump....

I think a lot of people can use this thread, myself included.

I got waitlisted this year and didn't get in. In terms of postbac or master's programs, which ones are the best ones in CALIFORNIA?

I understand that the UC ones are mostly for disadvantaged/underrepresented applicants. (Which I am not considered; I am Filipino) are there any post bacs for the rest of us?

In terms of master's programs (also in cali) are there any that aren't 2 years? ( i know it's a far reaching question, but hey.)

I think the AAMC site is pretty limited...that's why i'm asking you guys.

So if anyone knows anything about the Cali prospects, speak up! Thanks so much. :D

Well, I took my Graduate Courses at CSULA which has a great program and can easily be completed within 2 years or less, depending of course how quickly you finish your thesis.

Thanks for the info, CoffeeCat and DrHTM....:)

DrHTM, which graduate courses did you take at CSULA? I wasn't sure of what bio/medical related grad courses were there...Do you have a link??

Originally posted by Cafepinay
Thanks for the info, CoffeeCat and DrHTM....:)

DrHTM, which graduate courses did you take at CSULA? I wasn't sure of what bio/medical related grad courses were there...Do you have a link??

I'm a current graduate student majoring in Biology & Microbiology. The courses they offer are great (small), for example i just completed an animal histology course which i heard was nearly similar to USC SOM's histology courses. Anyhow,

here is the link http://www.calstatela.edu/academic/biol/ they also have a post-bach but i would go for the masters, if you plan to spend at least 2 years before you think of reapplying.

I think the fact i pursued a masters helped me a lot...i went from a 3.23 GPA at UCLA (1999) to a 3.84 GPA at CSULA (2003) and just received a secondary from UCLA and just today one from UCDavis. I'll let you know if I get an interview. Hope this helps....

Get a Master's degree in a Hard Core science. What good is a post-bacc going to do you if you're never admitted to medical school?

I went to Tufts.

I applied to all the post-bacc programs in Boston and really found Tufts to be the best one. (Admissions directors at medical school rate it as one of the best in the country. You required to take 6 classes at Tufts to be eligible for the committee recommendation letter--at Brandeis it is 7. They teach Orgo in the summer--at Wellesley, they require 6 courses and teach none over the summer.)

The Tufts program is expensive, but it boasts a 90+% acceptance rate to med/dental/allied health school the first time around. You take classes with regular undergrads, so there is no doubt that your curriculum and science experience is sub-par, which can be the case with some extension school programs. And the classes are rigorous and very good preparation for the MCAT. The administrative support is pretty good and they organize workshops for you on studying science, time management, and applying to med school. (I just held one of these workshops recently myself.)

You can conceivablY finish Tufts in 1 year. I did, but I did not have to take Biology. A colleague of mine did it by taking 3 lab courses simultaneously in the Fall and Spring and taking Orgo in the summer.

Another cool thing is the job situation--the jobs that Tufts students hold at Mass General, Brigham and Women's, etc., tend to passed down from one generation of Tufts post-baccs to another. I did not take advantage of this, but many of my friends did--it's mostly clinical research, but there are other jobs as well. One guy helped run a path lab!

Tufts feeds pretty heavily into Tufts Med. Actually, you can apply jointly to the post-bacc program and to Tufts Med. If you are accepted to this program, you need to maintain a 3.4 GPA at Tufts and score a 27 or above on the MCAT. (I think the GPA thing may be somewhat flexible, however.)

Overall, Tufts was a great experience, and I feel that it was integral in my pretty successful application year.

If you have any questions, you can always PM me!

Good luck!
mma

Hey friend,

I am actually filling out the application for Tufts MBS program, which I believe IS the post-bacc program you were referring to in your reply. I am writing the essay to explain why this program would benefit my goal. There is really no limited or required length/character for this essay. If I can clearly and briefly state the reasons why I want to attend the smp, is that enough? Or, do I approach it like an AMCAS essay?

Thanks =)

Hey friend,

I am actually filling out the application for Tufts MBS program, which I believe IS the post-bacc program you were referring to in your reply. I am writing the essay to explain why this program would benefit my goal. There is really no limited or required length/character for this essay. If I can clearly and briefly state the reasons why I want to attend the smp, is that enough? Or, do I approach it like an AMCAS essay?

Thanks =)

I just want to point out that this thread was from 2002 :laugh:
You might want to check out the Post Bacc forum though.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forumdisplay.php?f=71

I'm a non-sci major at a UC and have only taken about half of my pre-reqs. I didn't do too well in the ones I took, no Ds/Fs, but mostly Cs. I am entering my last year.

I'm thinking of just not finishing pre-reqs (because I still need to finish courses for my major and am reaching my unit cap), and doing a structured post-bacc instead. I know there are different types of post-baccs.

Which one should I apply to if I haven't finished pre-reqs? Any good ones in California? or do I have to do one for low GPA since I have taken some sci classes?

Thanks for all your help!

Hi,

I'm wondering if there is a general cut-off for when your gpa would be considered "too high" for a post bacc program.
When is it no longer practical to do a post bacc to improve your
c/s gpa?

Thanks!