Forum Members *~*~*~*~Official Pre-Allo Social Thread~*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@mimelim @Lucca @leonardoson @Matthew9Thirtyfive physics bump!

20131202.png

And...

20130616.png

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
HAHAHAHA the second one. Reminds me of a problem set I got in calc III where we had to find the volume of a 1x1x1 cube in the first octant with corner at the origin using: a) Cartesian coordinates b) cylindrical coordinates c) spherical coordinates. No problem set has made me doubt the volume of a 1x1x1 cube is 1 more than that problem set.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Haha, omg. That second one is hilarious. The first one is funny, but in my experience, the physics problems are too colorful.

An ant is running along the surface of a donut with volume 59 cm^3. It is spinning clockwise at a constant angular velocity of 2.54 cm/s. How fast does the ant have to run in the anticlockwise direction to circumnavigate the surface of the donut in 12 seconds?

Haha, omg. That second one is hilarious. The first one is funny, but in my experience, the physics problems are too colorful.

An ant is running along the surface of a donut with volume 59 cm^3. It is spinning clockwise at a constant angular velocity of 2.54 cm/s. How fast does the ant have to run in the anticlockwise direction to circumnavigate the surface of the donut in 12 seconds?
Not enough cats in trebuchets

Reactions: 1 user

Would you rather have the ant be replaced with "particle" and donut be replaced with "circle"?

My favorite from this past semester was,
Two hobos, each of mass mh, are standing at one end of a stationary railroad flatcar with frictionless wheels and mass mfc.
Either hobo can run to the other end of the flatcar and jump off with the same speed u (relative to the car).

Use conservation of momentum to find the speed of the recoiling car if the two men run and jump off simultaneously.

Let vv be the velocity of the recoiling car.

What better way to to practice conservation of momentum than analyze two hobos jumping off a train car?

Would you rather have the ant be replaced with "particle" and donut be replaced with "circle"?

My favorite from this past semester was,
Two hobos, each of mass mh, are standing at one end of a stationary railroad flatcar with frictionless wheels and mass mfc.
Either hobo can run to the other end of the flatcar and jump off with the same speed u (relative to the car).

Use conservation of momentum to find the speed of the recoiling car if the two men run and jump off simultaneously.

Let vv be the velocity of the recoiling car.

What better way to to practice conservation of momentum than analyze two hobos jumping off a train car?

I took physics 8 years ago, so my introductory problem writing skills have deteriorated. I like yours better.

My MCAT study book said that all the physics on the exam would be biologically relevant....

Example: If a human being (biological!) was shot out of a cannon at an angle of 35 degrees....
I really hope I get some hobos on the mcat...

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Reactions: 4 users
My MCAT study book said that all the physics on the exam would be biologically relevant....

Example: If a human being (biological!) was shot out of a cannon at an angle of 35 degrees....
That sounds oddly EK...

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Reactions: 2 users
Yeah but BJ is the only one you can really game to tilt the odds.

You can give yourself a bit of an advantage in TH. I definitely used to make my roommate all kinds of pissed off because he considered himself a competitive poker player, and I'd usually beat him (with little knowledge of the game, but a good understanding of math and stats--and my favorite, game theory).

You can give yourself a bit of an advantage in TH. I definitely used to make my roommate all kinds of pissed off because he considered himself a competitive poker player, and I'd usually beat him (with little knowledge of the game, but a good understanding of math and stats--and my favorite, game theory).
Yeah but that's if you're playing TH against people people, not against the house.

Wow, I never knew this part of pre-allo existed. I just always assumed it was another stickied thread with some rules or guidelines from gonnif//LizzyM/lawper/goro

Aka

GLLG "glug"

aka

Don't drink the pre-med koolaid.

Reactions: 2 users
SDN is so quiet during the holidays... I usually come back to ~10 notifications after I get off work but today it was 0