Forum Members *~*~*~*~Official Pre-Allo Social Thread~*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
and lastly...

@Goro @Reckoner @eteshoe @aldol16 science returns bump!

phd051809s.gif

phd092908s.gif
p=.56 is atrocious.

"there's more than a coin flip's chance that this data is due to chance"

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Just because I'm curious: for those who frequent this thread, have any of you given any thought to what speciality you might want to go to? It's on my mind because of the inevitable questions from relatives when they hear about my intention to apply to medical school.

I'm personally leaning towards EM for some unknown reason, but I'm keeping an open mind because I know a lot of people change their minds in med school. Plus, if every premed I knew ended up doing what they said in UG then we'd sure have a lot of dermatologists and neurosurgeons :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Just because I'm curious: for those who frequent this thread, have any of you given any thought to what speciality you might want to go to? It's on my mind because of the inevitable questions from relatives when they hear about my intention to apply to medical school.

I'm personally leaning towards EM for some unknown reason, but I'm keeping an open mind because I know a lot of people change their minds in med school. Plus, if every premed I knew ended up doing what they said in UG then we'd sure have a lot of dermatologists and neurosurgeons :laugh:

I want to go into surgery but I know I'll learn a lot in medical school, especially in rotations, so nothing is set in stone at this point.

Dude, I'm interested in so many things. I do primary care right now, and I love it most of the time. I think I'd be happy in FM because they get a little of everything.

But rads is cool. The physics behind imaging modalities is ****ing awesome. And I like reading imaging. The fact that they get some patient interaction is cool too.

I spent 7.5 years in the OR, so I know I like surgery. Not sure if I want to do it though. We'll see.

Also have psych in there too. I have a lot of mental illness in my friends and family, and it has always interested me. Plus my sister is getting a PhD in clinical psych, and her work is cool (though different from a psychiatrist, I know).

My step scores and rotations will ultimately decide for me I guess. I'm keeping an open mind.

Reactions: 1 users
I was just going to post this. I read this on duty yesterday and was rolling.

Edit: did you see the pic that comes up when you click the red button?

You guys are clearly my kind of people! And thanks for pointing it out, I totally missed the button. Too funny!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Dude, I'm interested in so many things. I do primary care right now, and I love it most of the time. I think I'd be happy in FM because they get a little of everything.

But rads is cool. The physics behind imaging modalities is ****ing awesome. And I like reading imaging. The fact that they get some patient interaction is cool too.

I spent 7.5 years in the OR, so I know I like surgery. Not sure if I want to do it though. We'll see.

Also have psych in there too. I have a lot of mental illness in my friends and family, and it has always interested me. Plus my sister is getting a PhD in clinical psych, and her work is cool (though different from a psychiatrist, I know).

My step scores and rotations will ultimately decide for me I guess. I'm keeping an open mind.

It's so cool that you have such diverse experience in healthcare. I'm trying to do some shadowing in the OR because I don't really know what surgery is actually like. I have a suspicion that general surgery is probably not for me, but I'm keeping an open mind!

I really enjoyed shadowing the two FM docs I saw. Their practices were so drastically different too (one owned her own holistic health center [i.e. there was a therapist, a psychiatrist, nutritionist, and physical therapist at her practice] and the other worked for a hospital system in my state), but it was cool to see that they had to deal with a lot of the same issues. Also, family drama doesn't go away regardless of whether you live in farm country or the city, lol.

It's nice to chat with people on here who are realistic about step scores. People at my school don't seem to think past getting into med school.

It's so cool that you have such diverse experience in healthcare. I'm trying to do some shadowing in the OR because I don't really know what surgery is actually like. I have a suspicion that general surgery is probably not for me, but I'm keeping an open mind!

I really enjoyed shadowing the two FM docs I saw. Their practices were so drastically different too (one owned her own holistic health center [i.e. there was a therapist, a psychiatrist, nutritionist, and physical therapist at her practice] and the other worked for a hospital system in my state), but it was cool to see that they had to deal with a lot of the same issues. Also, family drama doesn't go away regardless of whether you live in farm country or the city, lol.

It's nice to chat with people on here who are realistic about step scores. People at my school don't seem to think past getting into med school.

Surgery is just a different world. I loved my time in the OR. The things I've gotten to see and do in there are some of my best professional memories (and memories in general).

I'm generally a pretty damn good test taker, thank God. But the USMLE is a beast, I hear. Anything could happen, and if I don't do great, that will limit my options. But I'd be okay with primary care. :)

MFW I'm at the start of a 24-hour 911 shift on the ambulance, 12+ inches of snow forecasted, and I see the first flakes falling:

7f33d093b8f483242613e15e456fe37de9269948b09e8ceefa03d240187977c7.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
MFW I'm at the start of a 24-hour 911 shift on the ambulance, 12+ inches of snow forecasted, and I see the first flakes falling:

I hope you have a quiet and calm shift, Gurby. ;)

MFW I'm sick af but can't get my 12 hour night shift covered but don't want to screw my co workers over since everyone called in sick for day shift and nothing got done so I will probably go anyway

AlGrK.gif

I hope you have a quiet and calm shift, Gurby. ;)

As expected, people are falling down, crashing into things, engaging in all sorts of shenanigans, tomfoolery and ballyhoo. Hopefully things slow down for the overnight but I'm not super optimistic.

What's y'alls predictions for the next playoff games?
  • Seahawks beat Falcons.
  • Texans beat the Patriots lmao JK.
  • Steelers beat Chiefs.
  • Green Bay beats Cowgirls.

Loving the SMBC fans here. His comics have been part of my daily routine for years.

I'm pretty set on hem/onc, but I've flirted with the idea of EM and primary care. I can just see myself being a grizzled hospitalist one of these days.

MFW I'm sick af but can't get my 12 hour night shift covered but don't want to screw my co workers over since everyone called in sick for day shift and nothing got done so I will probably go anyway

AlGrK.gif

MFW I had a 24 hour duty day Sunday, a 5-hour watch Monday morning on top of an 8-hour work day, another 24-hour duty day Tuesday, and a 5-hour watch this morning from 0145-0645, followed by a 6-hour work day. As in I've worked 62 hours in the last 4 days and still have two more days of work this week.

777.gif

Hey baby, was your father a ring theorist? Because that Ass is maximal ideal.
Ay gurl, for you I'd get on one knee in the center of a field and extend to you a ring.

... I'm idempotent though.