Forum Members *~*~*~*~Official Pre-Allo Social Thread~*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
more smbc graphs bump!

20111228.gif

---
But... a tomato is a fruit. Am I on mount stupid??

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

No. Being a fruit isn't what makes a substance a jam. It's the production. Jams are made by boiling fruit with water and sugar to get the pectin to react and set the fruit when it cools. Ketchup is made in the style of a sauce, which is what it is.

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah I didn't get that part. A tomato is a fruit. It may be treated as a vegetable in the culinary world (and by SCOTUS actually), but it's a fruit botanically.
I thought it was a congressional act for taxation on imports or something that was then upheld by SCOTUS or something like that. It wasn't like someone brought the case of "is it a fruit" to court. I don't feel like googling right now so I could be wrong

I thought it was a congressional act for taxation on imports or something that was then upheld by SCOTUS or something like that. It wasn't like someone brought the case of "is it a fruit" to court. I don't feel like googling right now so I could be wrong

I didn't say that was what happened. I just said SCOTUS determined it was a vegetable. The Tariff Act of 1883 imposed a tax on vegetables and not fruit. The owner of a fruit company sued the tax collector of the Port of NY claiming that a tomato is a fruit and exempt from the taxes. SCOTUS recognized the botanical definition but held that from a political and fiduciary perspective, it should be classified as a vegetable.

Nix v Hedden, 149 U.S. 304 (1893)

Edited for grammar.

Edit 2: I just reread this and the first sentence sounds kind of assholeish. Didn't mean for it to sound that way.

Last edited:
Did anyone catch the Packers and Cowboys game? What a game!

Reactions: 3 users
Yeah that **** got cray at the end.
Hell yeah! Lots of emotions happened throughout the game for me.
Thought it was over in the first quarter, surprised they battled back. Great game.
Yeah, man. I was so happy when it was 21-3 and then Packs started hitting a rough patch. I knew they were going to try to FG for the win. Move up nice and slow through the field and boom. That Dallas coach tried to throw off Crosby. **** boiiiiii

Last edited:
Bart Starr would be proud of Rodgers today

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Watched the game. Almost had a heart attack like 9807349827 times. It was so good tho!!! :bag::p

Wait..... are you there right now?!?!?!?
After Draymond "accidentally" ran into Lebron. It actually looked pretty bad from where I was standing. When it happened, everyone in the arena was like, "oh no, not again..." I actually cheered when they gave him a flagrant 1 because I thought he was gonna get ejected. But after seeing the tv replay, it was clear that it should have been a common foul. Not sure what the refs were thinking.

DSC_0766.JPG

Definitely a privilege to be in Oakland to watch some of the greatest players ever!!
E-40 was also in the building!!

That must've been sooo sick to be there! And yknow... LeBron being LeBron, getting LeBron calls. I hate it. 6'8 250 pound behemoths like him shouldn't be awarded every time someone touches him ever so slightly.

But I'm glad you were able to experience that! I haven't been to a Dubs game in 4 years....

After Draymond "accidentally" ran into Lebron. It actually looked pretty bad from where I was standing. When it happened, everyone in the arena was like, "oh no, not again..." I actually cheered when they gave him a flagrant 1 because I thought he was gonna get ejected. But after seeing the tv replay, it was clear that it should have been a common foul. Not sure what the refs were thinking.

View attachment 213554
Definitely a privilege to be in Oakland to watch some of the greatest players ever!!
E-40 was also in the building!!

I know people say that the college years are supposed to be the best years of your life, but I call BS. I can't wait to graduate lol. This is partly fueled by the fact that I realized last semester that I probably should have chosen a different major, but alas, it's too late for me to switch. At least I'm good at my major, haha.

I can't believe I only have a year and a half left. I'm just trying to get to my gap year so I can be a normal adult for a bit. Hope I'm not the only one who feels/has felt this way.

I know people say that the college years are supposed to be the best years of your life, but I call BS. I can't wait to graduate lol. This is partly fueled by the fact that I realized last semester that I probably should have chosen a different major, but alas, it's too late for me to switch. At least I'm good at my major, haha.

I can't believe I only have a year and a half left. I'm just trying to get to my gap year so I can be a normal adult for a bit. Hope I'm not the only one who feels/has felt this way.

Don't be afraid to take longer than 4 years to graduate if you'd be happier with another major. I had the majority of credits for my English major when I decided Math was way more interesting to me. It took me an extra year, but it was worth it to me.

Don't be afraid to take longer than 4 years to graduate if you'd be happier with another major. I had the majority of credits for my English major when I decided Math was way more interesting to me. It took me an extra year, but it was worth it to me.

Good advice. I'm considering it. The other thing I might do is cut my losses and after medical school find the time to get my MPH or an MS in Epidemiology, since I would switch to a Public Health major if I stayed an extra year. That way I can figure out my research interests ahead of time and get more out of the education. For me, the part that frustrates me now is my realization that I would have been much happier doing public health research over the current wetlab stuff I'm doing (mix between neuroscience and biochem). I'm proud of my current project, but it just doesn't get me going the way that I want it to, and I'm stuck with it for a bit because it's pretty long term.

No, don't! Being a grownup sucks way more than being nestled in the cocoon of UG. College was like Neverland for me.

No, don't! Being a grownup sucks way more than being nestled in the cocoon of UG. College was like Neverland for me.

That's fair, hahaha. I like a lot of parts of undergrad, but I think I'm just feeling burnt out and want to do something new. I think I also just had a bad semester last semester, so that's coloring my experience a bit. I think this semester will be a lot better because I don't have the two worst professors I've ever had in the same semester again :whistle:

I printed a report at work today on December's numbers. Realized I made the range 12/1-12/30. I was on a national conference call with my boss and her boss, so I tried to quietly print out the correct range during a lull in the meeting where I didn't need to pay attention. Hit print and forgot about it.

A few minutes later I get off the call and I hear that the printer is STILL going. Turns out I forgot to reapply my filter when I changed the range... cancelled it as fast as I could, but not before about 90 pages had already been spat out by Mr Printer. :whistle:

While it isn't a science-y webcomic like SMBC, I love Poorly Drawn Lines and its wackiness.
boundaries.png

Where do you guys get these? I laugh way too hard at them lol

If anybody needs good news today: my hospital's salad bar had some gourmet olives in it as sides today and the price per pound of the salad bar is less than the price per pound of olive bars at grocery stores so I made out like a bandit.

Reactions: 5 users
My favorite math thing on the internet is this video of Siri answering the question, "what is 0 divided by 0?" Absolutely savage.

Also, if you're ever feeling down, this SMBC comic can help:
687474703a2f2f7777772e736d62632d636f6d6963732e636f6d2f636f6d6963732f2e2e2f636f6d6963732f313435313931393538342d32303136303130342e706e67

Isn't 0^0 not fully accepted as 1? Like we all feel like it should be 1 and we have a bunch of rationale for it, but I don't think it's officially defined. Am I wrong?

The value of 0^0 depends on how you take the limit of x^y as x and y approach 0. 0^0 =1 only when y reaches 0 first, but 0^0= 1 is an appropriate value most of the time, so it's arbitrarily defined that way.

Edit: scooped on the indeterminate limits.