Forum Members *~*~*~*~Official Pre-Allo Social Thread~*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Us Pats fans should know by now that you should never give up on the New England Patriots!!! My apartment complex went crazy afterwards!!!!

Haha, funny. Somehow as a falcons fan I knew the opposite - even when you're up 25 you should always give up on the falcons. Our sports teams lose in freaking sitcom fashion.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Haha, funny. Somehow as a falcons fan I knew the opposite - even when you're up 25 you should always give up on the falcons. Our sports teams lose in freaking sitcom fashion.

You guys really had a tough break. I was pretty much convinced that the Falcons were going to take it. A lot of us gave up hope after the second half. The Falcons' players really handled their loss with class, though.

Congrats to the pats fans everywhere!! Great game and comeback!!

And to the falcons fans out there, I feel your pain (as a Warriors fan that blew a 3-1 NBA finals series lead :oops:). But you'll come back! You've got a young enough defense, and a smart talented QB. And if all else fails, you can always try to sign the best free agent money can buy :D

Will I ever find true love?

Do ferraris bring more happiness than children?
If love is finding a great deal on auto insurance, then yes.

If happiness is 660 horsepower, then hell yes.

Reactions: 2 users
I was like "oh i should totally make my picture patriots-related to celebrate" but then i realized it already was

Reactions: 1 user
@Lawper you realize you just put a pats logo on a stickied thread, right? :confused:

Weird levels of formalities bump:

1486310400-20170205.png

I feel so bad for you guys. Must be a horrible feeling.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's extremely expensive to produce, and our air program is greatly superior to that of the Russians, Chinese, and anyone in the Middle East even without the Raptor. There are still like 187 still in service that will remain in service until they have to be retired due to age. They are being replaced with the Lightning II because of its better focus on air defense and ground missions, which has been the focus over the last 16 years.

Edit: this is my personal opinion reading press releases and stuff, not an official Navy response. Just saying.
I believe only 200 were made.

We know it's official Navy intel. ;) lol

What are fun things to do in SD when someone visits there?

I believe only 200 were made.

We know it's official Navy intel. ;) lol

What are fun things to do in SD when someone visits there?

195. 187 operational plus 8 test craft.

SD is great lots to do. Gaslamp, tons of stuff downtown. There's the glideport in La Jolla to go parasailing or hang gliding, tons of hiking, surfing and scuba diving. Just depends on what you like to do.

195. 187 operational plus 8 test craft.

SD is great lots to do. Gaslamp, tons of stuff downtown. There's the glideport in La Jolla to go parasailing or hang gliding, tons of hiking, surfing and scuba diving. Just depends on what you like to do.
Do they have Netflix and a couch?

Noooo Matt, they blue'd you!

Noooo Matt, they blue'd you!

Yeah. For this post:

https://forums.studentdoctor.net/th...ld-cover-them-up.1240255/page-4#post-18582963

Edit: I think the mods are over correcting a bit. It feels like high school nowadays where if someone verbally attacks and harasses you, any response at all gets you both in trouble, even if it's just to point out that they're being a little aggressive and immature.

If that's the direction this forum is going in, I'm probably going to just stop posting here.

Yeah. For this post:

https://forums.studentdoctor.net/th...ld-cover-them-up.1240255/page-4#post-18582963

Edit: I think the mods are over correcting a bit. It feels like high school nowadays where if someone verbally attacks and harasses you, any response at all gets you both in trouble, even if it's just to point out that they're being a little aggressive and immature.

If that's the direction this forum is going in, I'm probably going to just stop posting here.
OOF. I feel like they could've picked a better post on that thread to pursue you on. That was just fine in my book.

OOF. I feel like they could've picked a better post on that thread to pursue you on. That was just fine in my book.

The only post I can see warning me about was where I told him to grow up. But that was in response to him insulting me like a child. He then harassed and insulted me for three pages, and then proceded to follow me to a different thread to harass me some more, and we both get probation? Really? Those two things are equal?

Yeah. For this post:

The only post I can see warning me about was where I told him to grow up. But that was in response to him insulting me like a child. He then harassed and insulted me for three pages, and then proceded to follow me to a different thread to harass me some more, and we both get probation? Really? Those two things are equal?

sorry to hear man. that sucks. it's one of the major reasons why I strongly endorse libertarian moderation. you shouldn't have been punished.

Meh it's cool. I'm just going to comment on other posts less.

oversensitive moderation is a bad thing and is actually making things worse. i saw a lot of very bad things in the forums where I got personally attacked, and yet nothing happened to the attacker. i didn't respond back since i gave up on anything happening despite reporting the posts.

oversensitive moderation is a bad thing and is actually making things worse. i saw a lot of very bad things in the forums where I got personally attacked, and yet nothing happened to the attacker. i didn't respond back since i gave up on anything happening despite reporting the posts.
Yeah I agree that it's really inconsistent. I feel like they're super understaffed

I think I would've been cool with it if you got prob'd (giggity) and they got banned or if you got nothing and they got prob'd. Unless the prob term is different between you two then I don't feel like the punishment is consistent

I think I would've been cool with it if you got prob'd (giggity) and they got banned or if you got nothing and they got prob'd. Unless the prob term is different between you two then I don't feel like the punishment is consistent

This is why I support suggestions like this:

When you ban/suspend someone you should replace the offending post with a copy/paste reason why so the transient population served has a way to assimilate the standards of behavior, whatever they may be. I'll frequently see a perfectly reasonable seeming person who has contributed many useful things banned/suspended for no apparent reason. Perhaps there is a good one but I have no way of understanding what happened.

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah I feel the same way and understand the high demands involved in moderating forums. I just think probations and punishments shouldn't be dished out so loosely.
In this case certainly not. I'm all for "hands-off" moderation. However I'm not necessarily for strong libertarian moderation. If people violate TOS, they should be met with recourse whether it be a warning, probation, temp ban, or permaban every time. Every time. If you're unable to adequately moderate a TOS, then it shouldn't be in the TOS in the first place.

In this case certainly not. I'm all for "hands-off" moderation. However I'm not necessarily for strong libertarian moderation. If people violate TOS, they should be met with recourse whether it be a warning, probation, temp ban, or permaban every time. Every time. If you're unable to adequately moderate a TOS, then it shouldn't be in the TOS in the first place.

I agree. TOS has a purpose to ensure good behavior and good activity in the forums. The problem is applying the TOS so broadly and so loosely. It crosses to the territory of overmoderation and no one wants that. The TOS has also been applied so inconsistently, especially in some forums where little-to-no action is taken against threads and users whose behaviors would've been slammed and punished in other forums. It makes no sense. The lack of uniformity and consistency in moderation is a problem.

This is why I support suggestions like this:
However I understand the reasoning behind not informing as crayola pointed out. Yes it would be informative, but it would also be cathartic and satisfying to the opposing party and I think they're avoiding a "colosseum" style system. I don't necessarily agree with the decision, but it seems they've ruled on it.

I agree. TOS has a purpose to ensure good behavior and good activity in the forums. The problem is applying the TOS so broadly and so loosely. It crosses to the territory of overmoderation and no one wants that. The TOS has also been applied so inconsistently, especially in some forums where little-to-no action is taken against threads and users whose behaviors would've been slammed and punished in other forums. It makes no sense. The lack of uniformity and consistency in moderation is a problem.
I don't think uniformity is necessary between forums, but I think it is necessary within them.

However I understand the reasoning behind not informing as crayola pointed out. Yes it would be informative, but it would also be cathartic and satisfying to the opposing party and I think they're avoiding a "colosseum" style system. I don't necessarily agree with the decision, but it seems they've ruled on it.

Additionally, I think the seemingly normal members that get banned out of no where were probably previously banned trolls that got spotted out.

I don't think uniformity is necessary between forums, but I think it is necessary within them.

Seems odd for some forums to be so strictly and tightly moderated while other forums are chill and hands free.

Additionally, I think the seemingly normal members that get banned out of no where were probably previously banned trolls that got spotted out.

Seems odd for some forums to be so strictly and tightly moderated while other forums are chill and hands free.

I agree with y'all. Extreme over moderation and dishing out equal punishments for unequal behavior just so that everyone "learns something" or whatever is a bad thing.

As far as uniformity across the forums, it has been pointed out that different forums have different cultures. I think that the TOS needs to be applied uniformly in that aggressive or harassing behaviors should be punished across the forum, but there should be an allowance for some variation. Some forums have more argumentative members, but it is tolerated and expected there by virtually all the members. If you suddenly go there and ban everyone, that doesn't help.

If the purpose of each forum is different, then it makes sense that they'd be modded differently. Anything TOS-related should be treated the same, I think we agree on that. However forum-specific rules create different moderation styles

I agree with y'all. Extreme over moderation and dishing out equal punishments for unequal behavior just so that everyone "learns something" or whatever is a bad thing.

As far as uniformity across the forums, it has been pointed out that different forums have different cultures. I think that the TOS needs to be applied uniformly in that aggressive or harassing behaviors should be punished across the forum, but there should be an allowance for some variation. Some forums have more argumentative members, but it is tolerated and expected there by virtually all the members. If you suddenly go there and ban everyone, that doesn't help.
If the purpose of each forum is different, then it makes sense that they'd be modded differently. Anything TOS-related should be treated the same, I think we agree on that. However forum-specific rules create different moderation styles

how about just stop banning/holding/probating people so easily and so quickly and just PM members with a warning or something softer saying that their behavior was off and request them to correct it? if the warning is ignored, probations are fair game. my complaint is probations are being given out so quickly and commonly in preallo forums for only mildly critical behaviors.... which are completely acceptable or even encouraged in other forums!

how about just stop banning/holding/probating people so easily and so quickly and just PM members with a warning or something softer saying that their behavior was off and request them to correct it? if the warning is ignored, probations are fair game. my complaint is probations are being given out so quickly and commonly in preallo forums for only mildly critical behaviors.... which are completely acceptable or even encouraged in other forums!
If we're not talking about Matt's case specifically: how do we know they're not? Maybe the verbal warnings have already happened. There's also the possibility you pointed out that they're just former-troll squashing. I'd rather not jump to conclusions on that one

If we're not talking about Matt's case specifically: how do we know they're not? Maybe the verbal warnings have already happened. There's also the possibility you pointed out that they're just former-troll squashing. I'd rather not jump to conclusions on that one

actually quite commonly in the past and probably still now, members were put on probation first followed by public forum warnings and eventual thread locks. i have no idea about private warnings involved.

private warnings should always come before probations though. in Matt's case, he probably may have been warned long ago.

actually quite commonly in the past and probably still now, members were put on probation first followed by public forum warnings and eventual thread locks. i have no idea about private warnings involved.

private warnings should always come before probations though. in Matt's case, he probably may have been warned long ago.

I actually received no warning for that. The only warning I have ever received was about a post that was sexual in nature. It was a joke about bananas addressed to rogue banana, but probably still inappropriate, and I took it to heart. I was placed on probation for the above post with no warning. The PM I got along with the prob status informed me to ignore posters in the future and to not violate TOS. That was it.

I actually received no warning for that. The only warning I have ever received was about a post that was sexual in nature. It was a joke about bananas addressed to rogue banana, but probably still inappropriate, and I took it to heart. I was placed on probation for the above post with no warning. The PM I got along with the prob status informed me to ignore posters in the future and to not violate TOS. That was it.

oh i think i got it now. warnings for anything is the first punishment, followed by probations for anything, followed by more probations and later on holds/bans as severity increases. still pretty harsh but more reasonable than dishing a probation without any warning on anything in the past.

oh i think i got it now. warnings for anything is the first punishment, followed by probations for anything, followed by more probations and later on holds/bans as severity increases. still pretty harsh but more reasonable than dishing a probation without any warning on anything in the past.

Right, but I never got a warning about this. I got a warning about something completely unrelated by a different mod.

I think your avatar is egging me on. Mine's just tacky at this point, but yours...

Right, but I never got a warning about this. I got a warning about something completely unrelated by a different mod.

which i think may have been held against you when considering a probation. still harsh though.

maybe it's just me but while i understand the need for discipline and maintaining/enforcing the TOS, i'm not a fan of dishing out punishments freely. even irl with various responsibilities, if I see a team member or student doing something wrong or inappropriate, i just take them aside and give them a concise but serious instruction not to repeat it again. that's it. probations are just too strong for me.

which i think may have been held against you when considering a probation. still harsh though.

maybe it's just me but while i understand the need for discipline and maintaining/enforcing the TOS, i'm not a fan of dishing out punishments freely. even irl with various responsibilities, if I see a team member or student doing something wrong or inappropriate, i just take them aside and give them a concise but serious instruction not to repeat it again. that's it. probations are just too strong for me.
TBF: a probation kind of is a warning since it doesn't really do anything, albeit a little Scarlet Letter-esque.