Forum Members *~*~*~*~Official Pre-Allo Social Thread~*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Okay this is pretty easy.

1, 7, 4, 10, 7, 13, 10, ...

What's the closed form?

.... that's not easy man. it's a subtle alternating sequence.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
1, 7, 4, 10, 7, 13, 10, ...;
differences between successive terms = 6, -3, 6, -3, 6, -3;
differences between successive paired terms (6 -3 repeats) = 9

so something like 9*(-1)^n

now imagine it isn't alternating sequence. we'll get something like this: 1, 7, 10, 16, 19, 25, 28
differences between successive terms = 6, 3, 6, 3, 6, 3, 6, 3;

compare the sequences together:

1, 7, 10, 16, 19, 25, 28
1, 7, 4, 10, 7, 13, 10

differences between the terms result in 0, 0, 6, 6, 12, 12, 18, ...; --> so something like 6n.

so we get 6n + 9*(-1)^n. for n = 1, 2, 3, 4, ..., the sequence is something like -3, 21, 9, 33, 21, 45. difference between successive terms being something like 24, -12, 24, -12, 24, -12. so we need to divide this expression by 4.

(1/4) * (6n + 9*(-1)^n + n0). to find n0, set n = 1 and solve:

1 = (1/4) * (6 - 9 + n0) -->
4 = 6 - 9 + n0 -->
4 = -3 + n0 -->
n0 = 7

so the closed form of the sequence is:

(1/4) * (6n + 9*(-1)^n + 7)

is this right?

Reactions: 1 users
1, 7, 4, 10, 7, 13, 10, ...;
differences between successive terms = 6, -3, 6, -3, 6, -3;
differences between successive paired terms (6 -3 repeats) = 9

so something like 9*(-1)^n

now imagine it isn't alternating sequence. we'll get something like this: 1, 7, 10, 16, 19, 25, 28
differences between successive terms = 6, 3, 6, 3, 6, 3, 6, 3;

compare the sequences together:

1, 7, 10, 16, 19, 25, 28
1, 7, 4, 10, 7, 13, 10

differences between the terms result in 0, 0, 6, 6, 12, 12, 18, ...; --> so something like 6n.

so we get 6n + 9*(-1)^n. for n = 1, 2, 3, 4, ..., the sequence is something like -3, 21, 9, 33, 21, 45. difference between successive terms being something like 24, -12, 24, -12, 24, -12. so we need to divide this expression by 4.

(1/4) * (6n + 9*(-1)^n + n0). to find n0, set n = 1 and solve:

1 = (1/4) * (6 - 9 + n0) -->
4 = 6 - 9 + n0 -->
4 = -3 + n0 -->
n0 = 7

so the closed form of the sequence is:

(1/4) * (6n + 9*(-1)^n + 7)

is this right?

Great job!

here's one more for fun. and something similar:

1, 2, 3, 2, 1, 2, 3, 2, 1, 2, 3, 2, 1, ...

Well it's gonna be a polynomial. And since it's modulating like that, it's going to be modular. Has to be mod 4.

Definitely a third degree poly. The way the differences shake out and repeat, I'd say we need an an^3+bn^2+cn+d where a=1, b=2, c=0, and d=2.

So we have (n^3+2n^2+2) mod 4.

Last edited:
And anotha one

0, 2, 1, 3, 2, 4, 3, 5, 4, 6,...

And anotha one

0, 2, 1, 3, 2, 4, 3, 5, 4, 6,...

Yeah this is similar to what I did above so I'll let others tackle it

F

Well it's gonna be a polynomial. And since it's modulating like that, it's going to be modular. Has to be mod 4.

Definitely a third degree poly. The way the differences shake out and repeat, I'd say we need an an^3+bn^2+cn+d where a=1, b=2, c=0, and d=2.

So we have (n^3+2n^2+2) mod 4.

Hmmmm

Have you guys seen this?

Breaks my heart :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah my point is just that so much of the Trump hate is partisan. Yes, he has his problems, and I disagree with a lot of his opinions. But let's remember that he's the President. This isn't a dictatorship. He can't just unilaterally do most of what people are claiming he's gonna do. And let's try to be reasonable. I'm not saying he wasn't a good President, but Clinton is one of the most successful serial rapists and sexual predators in history. The libs don't seem to care too much about that. If you're going to care about character, it shouldn't just be restricted to the other party (that goes for the right too).
Man this is a terrible post. Is that you Sean Spicer?

I don't think that you can claim that the "hate" on Trump is partisan, because the last time I checked the Trump party had to threaten the Republican party to fall into line in order to pass a bill that had consensus among Republicans in both House and Senate that there were too many cuts being made to Medicaid. If I wasn't mistaken, Republicans have the majority in both House and Senate, yet the Trump administration is too ineffectual in order to pull themselves together along partisan lines. The reason for this is obvious. The Trump administration itself is a laughing stock that is still trying to find its core members and has been turned down by dozens of respectable men in the armed services and notable Republicans because they realize the dumpster fire of this administration. Stating that criticism is leveraged against this president because of partisan politics is a bald faced lie predicated on bias, ignorance, or laziness. Ironically all four of the aforementioned are all forms of natural energy that fuel this administration.

If you disagree with his problems, then how is the so called "Trump hate" a partisan affair? If you are using an appeal to authority by explaining he is president, then why are you stating that this isn't a dictatorship? The lack of clarity in your thought process is as cogent as a White House press briefing with Sean Spicer. I honestly believe he had the right idea to just allow NFL guests to crash the briefings to buy him time in order to breathe. The past week alone it looks like he might be suffering from TIAs based on his sudden onset of aphasia when asked for details about North Korea or Syria.

If I'm not mistaken, the reason why people think Trump may be more impetuous than you believe is because of his decision to conduct a strategic attack Syria without Congressional approval. Donald Trump justified his attack as being legal citing preceding framework from the Obama administration. Ironically, Obama still sought congressional approval first when he was considering the utilization of strategic force within the region. The fact that Trump's action got him disapproval from a faction of Republicans, one of which was Rand Paul further indicates that disliking of the president isn't a purely partisan affair.

How much power can a president have? I still remember those beautiful men from the Bush Administration: Addington, Cheney, and Yoo were religious in their attempt to undermine the separation of powers in order to promote the concept of a unitary executive that would supersede all other branches of government when the country was perceived to be in a state of war. Addington was a proponent of utilizing signing statements as a means to undermine Congress and Yoo would often draft documents on the behest of Cheney and Addigton who utilized his position as Deputy Assistant U.S. Attorney general within the Office of Legal Counsel, a branch within the department of justice.

It's confusing as to why Donald Trump apologists have popped up considering his xenophobic and misogynistic statements and behaviors. It's even more disturbing that students are defending a man who abused the worst elements of capitalism in order to escape from bearing the full brunt of liability through Chapter 11 reorganizations. However, he was more than willing to take capitalize on the opportunity of collecting on non-dischargeable student debt when he branded the Trump Wealth Institute full well knowing he was taking advantage of peculiarities within the law in order to capitalize further on his franchise dealership.

Last edited:
If you disagree with his problems, then how is the so called "Trump hate" a partisan affair? If you are using an appeal to authority by explaining he is president, then why are you stating that this isn't a dictatorship? The lack of clarity in your thought process is as cogent as a White House press briefing with Sean Spicer. I honestly believe he had the right idea to just allow NFL guests to crash the briefings to buy him time in order to breathe. The past week alone it looks like he might be suffering from TIAs based on his sudden onset of aphasia when asked for details about North Korea or Syria.

If I'm not mistaken, the reason why people think Trump may be more impetuous than you believe is because of his decision to conduct a strategic attack Syria without Congressional approval. Donald Trump justified his attack as being legal citing preceding framework from the Obama administration. Ironically, Obama still sought congressional approval first when he was considering the utilization of strategic force within the region. The fact that Trump's action got him disapproval from a faction of Republicans, one of which was Rand Paul further indicates that disliking of the president isn't a purely partisan affair.

How much power can a president have? I still remember those beautiful men from the Bush Administration: Addington, Cheney, and Yoo were religious in their attempt to undermine the separation of powers in order to promote the concept of a unitary executive that would supersede all other branches of government when the country was perceived to be in a state of war. Addington was a proponent of utilizing signing statements as a means to undermine Congress and Yoo would often draft documents on the behest of Cheney and Addigton who utilized his position as Deputy Assistant U.S. Attorney general within the Office of Legal Counsel, a branch within the department of justice.

It's confusing as to why Donald Trump apologists have popped up considering his xenophobic and misogynistic statements and behaviors. It's even more disturbing that students are defending a man who abused the worst elements of capitalism in order to escape from bearing the full brunt of liability through Chapter 11 reorganizations. However, he was more than willing to take capitalize on the opportunity of collecting on non-dischargeable student debt when he branded the Trump Wealth Institute full well knowing he was taking advantage of peculiarities within the law in order to capitalize further on his franchise dealership.
a9c.png

Reactions: 3 users
Man this is a terrible post. Is that you Sean Spicer?

I don't think that you can claim that the "hate" on Trump is partisan, because the last time I checked the Trump party had to threaten the Republican party to fall into line in order to pass a bill that had consensus among Republicans in both House and Senate that there were too many cuts being made to Medicaid. If I wasn't mistaken, Republicans have the majority in both House and Senate, yet the Trump administration is too ineffectual in order to pull themselves together along partisan lines. The reason for this is obvious. The Trump administration itself is a laughing stock that is still trying to find its core members and has been turned down by dozens of respectable men in the armed services and notable Republicans because they realize the dumpster fire of this administration. Stating that criticism is leveraged against this president because of partisan politics is a bald faced lie predicated on bias, ignorance, or laziness. Ironically all four of the aforementioned are all forms of natural energy that fuel this administration.

#butthurt

Reactions: 1 users
HA! I was thinking along the same lines.

It's not exact, but it's good within like three significant digits. I just don't feel like tweaking it around anymore. Part of me really wants the lateral shift to be pi, but that actually makes it less accurate unless I mess with the amplitude more and I just don't feel like it lol.

It's not exact, but it's good within like three significant digits. I just don't feel like tweaking it around anymore. Part of me really wants the lateral shift to be pi, but that actually makes it less accurate unless I mess with the amplitude more and I just don't feel like it lol.
f( n)=sin((pi/2)n+pi)+2, right?

good work! modular sequences can always be written in terms of trig functions

Yeah. I just went right to the modular arithmetic because it was so obvious. I dealt with that a lot more than trig functions since I did a lot of crypto.

But my first answer was still correct. Just another way to do it.

Yeah. I just went right to the modular arithmetic because it was so obvious. I dealt with that a lot more than trig functions since I did a lot of crypto.

But my first answer was still correct. Just another way to do it.
This gave me an idea for:

f( n)=2.25sin((pi*x)-(3pi/2))+1.5x+1.75

yes alternating sequences can be expressed in terms of trigonometric functions due to periodic properties

yes alternating sequences can be expressed in terms of trigonometric functions due to periodic properties
Yeah but @Matthew9Thirtyfive 's sequence added an extra layer to the puzzle since you can get the phase shift and period easily, but to determine the amplitude you have to use the "slope" of the function. Then it boils down to the vertical shift, which is obviously the easier part.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone
So my friend has a 3.3 GPA and 3.0 sGPA, a 498 MCAT (will be taking again in few months idk when).
She has no research experience, lots of shadowing and volunteer work.
She just graduated and is stuck on what she should be doing next.

I don't know what to tell her. Any advice?

Hi everyone
So my friend has a 3.3 GPA and 3.0 sGPA, a 498 MCAT (will be taking again in few months idk when).

I have no idea either. Try creating a thread in WAMC Forums where experts can give better advice on what to do

What Are My Chances?

Reactions: 2 users
Hi everyone

Focus on the retake. Why did she perform poorly? Did she take practice exams? If so, were her scores significantly higher? She needs to figur out what went wrong and fix it before the retake.

I'd also suggest she try to boost that sGPA, though I'm not entirely sure it's lethal for DO. 3.3 is pretty underdog status for MD, but it's not a long shot at all for DO. She needs to make sure her ECs and LORs are solid (like good clinical and non-clinica volunteering, strong letters, and something that makes her stand out) and knock out that retake. Like a huuuuuuge improvement and have a good explanation for the first one.

Research is not mandatory and is only of low to medium importance to the vast majority of med schools. She shouldn't waste her time starting any.

Focus on the retake. Why did she perform poorly? Did she take practice exams? If so, were her scores significantly higher? She needs to figur out what went wrong and fix it before the retake.

I'd also suggest she try to boost that sGPA, though I'm not entirely sure it's lethal for DO. 3.3 is pretty underdog status for MD, but it's not a long shot at all for DO. She needs to make sure her ECs and LORs are solid (like good clinical and non-clinica volunteering, strong letters, and something that makes her stand out) and knock out that retake. Like a huuuuuuge improvement and have a good explanation for the first one.

Research is not mandatory and is only of low to medium importance to the vast majority of med schools. She shouldn't waste her time starting any.
She told me that she took it because people suggested it's best to take it that time.
I was wondering if it would be a good idea for her to do a post back or smp?
Thanks for the advice!

She told me that she took it because people suggested it's best to take it that time.
I was wondering if it would be a good idea for her to do a post back or smp?
Thanks for the advice!

Did she study? Did she take any practice exams? Was she expecting a better score? It's easier to improve test day jitters than her fund of knowledge, but both can be done.

Did she study? Did she take any practice exams? Was she expecting a better score? It's easier to improve test day jitters than her fund of knowledge, but both can be done.
I don't know actually might be all of the above.