Forum Members *~*~*~*~Official Pre-Allo Social Thread~*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@freak7 @tessellations @RenegadeOkapi
Physics Properties for the MCAT bump

particle_properties_2x.png

Each particle also has a password which allows its properties to be changed, but the cosmic censorship hypothesis suggests we can never observe the password itself--only its secure hash.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
How do you guys get rid of the net neutrality pop up? Is this recent? It's so annoying each time I open up a new thread

Members don't see this ad :)
@Gurkhali why couldn't you just leave that cop alone? Now you're in jail :(

What results when medical students are asked to donate books for kids of all ages? This ever-growing and increasingly amusing collection in our student lounge. I wonder if my little sister would enjoy "Nursing Documentation Using Electronic Health Records" or "First Aid for the Psychiatry Clerkship" more.
books.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
@Matthew9Thirtyfive @libertyyne @tessellations @Lawper , I have a student I'm tutoring in linear algebra. His book has to have one of the most annoying things in it: it always uses the term "subspace" to mean "proper subspace". It drives me so damn insane. :mad::mad:

Why does that annoy you so much? A proper subspace is just a subspace that is not the whole space. Since the whole space is obviously a subspace of itself, it is trivial to discuss that as a subspace. So you can really just drop the word proper and say subspace. Unless someone is just being pedantic, everyone will know what you mean.

Why does that annoy you so much? A proper subspace is just a subspace that is not the whole space. Since the whole space is obviously a subspace of itself, it is trivial to discuss that as a subspace. So you can really just drop the word proper and say subspace. Unless someone is just being pedantic, everyone will know what you mean.
It's bothersome because the answers to some of the questions hinges on that definition. So say I have two sets of vectors and they have the same span, the book would say that that is not a subspace.

It's bothersome because the answers to some of the questions hinges on that definition. So say I have two sets of vectors and they have the same span, the book would say that that is not a subspace.

Oh. Well in that case, the book is actually just wrong.

Oh. Well in that case, the book is actually just wrong.
Exactly. It's not an issue of them using subspace and referring to a proper subspace, it's an issue of them defining the term one way and then using it to mean only a proper subspace. I rarely look as dumb as when I go hardcore into details and observations of certain terms only to have a stupid book say the opposite.

Exactly. It's not an issue of them using subspace and referring to a proper subspace, it's an issue of them defining the term one way and then using it to mean only a proper subspace. I rarely look as dumb as when I go hardcore into details and observations of certain terms only to have a stupid book say the opposite.

It happens. I can see what they're playing at, but to say that two equal vector spaces aren't subspaces of each other just because they aren't proper subspaces is ridiculous. Of course they are subspaces of each other. Do they say that R is not a subset of itself too?

Members don't see this ad :)
I drink about 2-3 gallons of milk per week lol

Animal milk? I don't drink it nor do I give it to my kids because it's associated with a higher risk of bone fractures and osteoporosis, not to mention anemia. My pediatrician told me about a kid she saw one time whose Hgb was 3.0, and it wasn't completely related to his milk consumption. Everything you get from milk can be found in other foods without the negatives.

But my wife drinks it pretty regularly. She's an adult and can make that choice if she wants to. I won't give it to my girls though.

Animal milk? I don't drink it nor do I give it to my kids because it's associated with a higher risk of bone fractures and osteoporosis, not to mention anemia. My pediatrician told me about a kid she saw one time whose Hgb was 3.0, and it wasn't completely related to his milk consumption. Everything you get from milk can be found in other foods without the negatives.

But my wife drinks it pretty regularly. She's an adult and can make that choice if she wants to. I won't give it to my girls though.
are you anti cheese as well?

are you anti cheese as well?

I'm not as anti milk as that post actually implies. I was tired when I wrote it. My wife occasionally gives it to them. We all eat cheese. I'm not like an anti-milk activist or anything. I just try not to drink it (I'm also lactose intolerant, lol). If my wife gives it to my kids occasionally, I don't flip out or anything haha.

There are just other ways to get calcium, and the increased associations with things like bone health and prostate and ovarian cancer aren't well established yet. So I minimize our consumption for now.

Reactions: 1 user

Of course I mean animal milk! Cows bruh ;) Wisconsin's finest!

Milk unhealthy? Eh, sounds like hearsay. Is there consensus? Nutritionists once said eggs and fat were unhealthy...

Sure you can get the nutrition elsewhere, but milk tastes amazing!

Your wife is cool :cool:

Your girls are missing out!

I'm not as anti milk as that post actually implies. I was tired when I wrote it. My wife occasionally gives it to them. We all eat cheese. I'm not like an anti-milk activist or anything. I just try not to drink it (I'm also lactose intolerant, lol). If my wife gives it to my kids occasionally, I don't flip out or anything haha.

There are just other ways to get calcium, and the increased associations with things like bone health and prostate and ovarian cancer aren't well established yet. So I minimize our consumption for now.
Apology accepted, hehe

I'm just happy you eat cheese. My inner cheesehead was almost triggered ;)

I wouldn't drink it if I was lactose intolerant haha, sorry about that

Better sorry than safe. YOLO drink milk!

Of course I mean animal milk! Cows bruh ;) Wisconsin's finest!

Milk unhealthy? Eh, sounds like hearsay. Is there consensus? Nutritionists once said eggs and fat were unhealthy...

Sure you can get the nutrition elsewhere, but milk tastes amazing!

Your wife is cool :cool:

Your girls are missing out!

Apology accepted, hehe

I'm just happy you eat cheese. My inner cheesehead was almost triggered ;)

I wouldn't drink it if I was lactose intolerant haha, sorry about that

Better sorry than safe. YOLO drink milk!

I wasn't apologizing lol.

But yes, there is consensus that milk is not necessarily heathier for you than other calcium sources. It doesn't decrease the risk of bone fractures, and it does increase the risk of osteoporosis. It does have some benefits, but they are not well understood, and you can get plenty of calcium elsewhere. It's not hearsay. The "milk does a body good" thing is marketing.

When my kids are asleep I'll post some sources.

I wasn't apologizing lol.

But yes, there is consensus that milk is not necessarily heathier for you than other calcium sources. It doesn't decrease the risk of bone fractures, and it does increase the risk of osteoporosis. It does have some benefits, but they are not well understood, and you can get plenty of calcium elsewhere. It's not hearsay. The "milk does a body good" thing is marketing.

When my kids are asleep I'll post some sources.
But I will gladly accept your apology on behalf of the hardworking cows in Wisconsin ;)

I'm going to choose to listen to the "got milk?" advertising instead.

But I will gladly accept your apology on behalf of the hardworking cows in Wisconsin ;)

I'm going to choose to listen to the "got milk?" advertising instead.

I hope you're more willing to change your views based on evidence once you're a physician.

Edit: Also, I just took my girls out for ice cream. Sometimes you just have to splurge.

A lot of that stuff is very hearsay....sort of like people freaking out over not giving kids nuts , and then we actually realized that that increases the chance for food allergies. You can't believe everything you read on the internet. I mean, giving your kids some dairy is fine and you're LI so that makes sense but you can't believe everything you read on the internet, man.

A lot of that stuff is very hearsay....sort of like people freaking out over not giving kids nuts , and then we actually realized that that increases the chance for food allergies. You can't believe everything you read on the internet. I mean, giving your kids some dairy is fine and you're LI so that makes sense but you can't believe everything you read on the internet, man.

I don't believe what I read on the internet. I believe what I read in peer-reviewed journals, man.

Milk and ovarian cancer

The possible role of female sex hormones in milk from pregnant cows in the development of breast, ovarian and corpus uteri cancers. - PubMed - NCBI

Dairy products and ovarian cancer: a pooled analysis of 12 cohort studies. - PubMed - NCBI

Dietary calcium and prostate cancer

Calcium and fructose intake in relation to risk of prostate cancer. - PubMed - NCBI

Milk and bone fractures

Milk consumption during teenage years and risk of hip fractures in older adults. - PubMed - NCBI

Calcium intake and hip fracture risk in men and women: a meta-analysis of prospective cohort studies and randomized controlled trials. - PubMed - NCBI

Nutrition | Mobile

And there's more if you want to see them. I personally don't care if you drink milk. But I am not some cow-eyed Facebook helicopter mom making decisions based on huffpost articles.

Not to be that guy, but the first two studies are just about risks associated with drinking milk that has hormones in it. That can literally be solved by drinking organic or horomone free milk.

The prostate cancer study is almost uselesss, and doesnt single out milk rather any calcium containing food.

And the last studies just say milk doesnt provide a protective effect regarding fractures. Big whoop.

None of these studies say that milk is inherently bad. Just that it doesnt prevent fractures and hormones in cheap milk may cause issues. You need to be drinking 6.66 servings of milk a day to reach the prostate cancer threshold for a measurable effect.

Not to be that guy, but the first two studies are just about risks associated with drinking milk that has hormones in it. That can literally be solved by drinking organic or horomone free milk.

The prostate cancer study is almost uselesss, and doesnt single out milk rather any calcium containing food.

And the last studies just say milk doesnt provide a protective effect regarding fractures. Big whoop.

In a previous post (two actually) I said that the links between milk and those cancers are poorly understood and not well studied. I listed them there because I mentioned them earlier. No where did I argue that milk causes prostate or ovarian cancer.

None of these studies say that milk is inherently bad. Just that it doesnt prevent fractures and hormones in cheap milk may cause issues. You need to be drinking 6.66 servings of milk a day to reach the prostate cancer threshold for a measurable effect.

No where did I say milk is inherently bad. I said multiple times that there is a lot of evidence that milk does not decrease your risk of bone fractures or osteoporosis, but may increase it. Additionally, it may cause other issues and can cause anemia.

I also said I let my wife give it to my kids occasionally and that I take my girls to get ice cream. Oh, and I also said it has some benefits (like it may protect against colorectal cancer).

I never said it was bad. I said you can get calcium from other foods that don't have the potential negatives that milk does. But if someone wants to drink it, go for it. It's not like drinking milk is like smoking or anything.

Argue against my actual points, not the hyperbole you're inferring.

Edit: for the record, as I said before, I'm not an anti-milk nut. I just don't think it's good to give a lot of it to my kids, particularly when they can get all the same benefits from other things.

In a previous post (two actually) I said that the links between milk and those cancers are poorly understood and not well studied. I listed them there because I mentioned them earlier. No where did I argue that milk causes prostate or ovarian cancer.

No where did I say milk is inherently bad. I said multiple times that there is a lot of evidence that milk does not decrease your risk of bone fractures or osteoporosis, but may increase it. Additionally, it may cause other issues and can cause anemia.

I also said I let my wife give it to my kids occasionally and that I take my girls to get ice cream. Oh, and I also said it has some benefits (like it may protect against colorectal cancer).

I never said it was bad. I said you can get calcium from other foods that don't have the potential negatives that milk does. But if someone wants to drink it, go for it. It's not like drinking milk is like smoking or anything.

Edit: for the record, as I said before, I'm not an anti-milk nut. I just don't think it's good to give a lot of it to my kids, particularly when they can get all the same benefits from other things.
As someone who is very invested in milk not being bad for adolescent humans, I think you're probably approaching this the right way.

I just wish I had the willpower to cut back on my dairy consumption. Some day.

As someone who is very invested in milk not being bad for adolescent humans, I think you're probably approaching this the right way.

I just wish I had the willpower to cut back on my dairy consumption. Some day.

Did i read that wrong or did you say you think milk is okay for adolescents-in that case. why would you avoid it?

My mom actually thinks milk is like, the purest substance on the planet and has full nutrition and is the only thing that makes kids tall (she says I'm short b/c I didn't drink enough milk as a kid, yeah...not like the fact that my Dad is short or anything )

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Did i read that wrong or did you say you think milk is okay for adolescents-in that case. why would you avoid it?

My mom actually thinks milk is like, the purest substance on the planet and has full nutrition and is the only thing that makes kids tall (she says I'm short b/c I didn't drink enough milk as a kid, yeah...not like the fact that my Dad is short or anything )

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I meant I drink so much milk I hope it's not bad for me but I suspect it's not super great either.
It's so good though, and it's the source of a heck ton of calories and protein for me. Plus I'm not a big fan of dairy farming practices or its environmental impact. Dairy, I wish I knew how to quit you.

Last edited:
All studies funded by silk, can't trust corporate anti milk people maaaaaaaan ;) lol it's late

Reactions: 2 users

But all the cool kids are drinking milk

I had an idea for a webcomic series that I'd make myself, but I doubt it'd be received well on SDN and I have zero art skills.

I would like to formally recognize that my hat is once again relevant since "Christmas in July" is a thing.

Reactions: 3 users
I would like to formally recognize that my hat is once again relevant since "Christmas in July" is a thing.
Can I formally profess my love for you and your burrito based composition ?