Forum Members *~*~*~*~Official Pre-Allo Social Thread~*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can I formally profess my love for you and your burrito based composition ?
Do as you see fit ;)

Members don't see this ad.

@JoaoMoutinho @eteshoe @cactusman @libertyyne bump!

1500415380-soonish10.png

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Lawper just likes you ;)

If this is your first time here, welcome to the social thread!

I don't remember if I've been in this thread before or not, but I'm here now lol.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Also @mwsapphire , you keep using the acronym "UW" to mean "upward". I'm sure there are plenty of huskies and badgers who get verrrry confused every time you do.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also @mwsapphire , you keep using the acronym "UW" to mean "upward". I'm sure there are plenty of huskies and badgers who get verrrry confused every time you do.
I guess I'll stop.
But, Huskies? Badgers? Are those sports teams?

I guess I'll stop.
But, Huskies? Badgers? Are those sports teams?
They are the mascots for the University of Washington and University of Wisconsin, respectively.

Councidentally enough, that's the old logo for Washington and that version of the husky is colloquially known as "the flying badger"

Reactions: 1 user
I just found out yesterday that a paper I'm listed as an author on (not primary or anything too crazy haha) got accepted to the journal we submitted to!!!! Woohoo!!!! :soexcited:

@Lawper @freak7 @libertyyne @Healer@1994
This is both hilarious and sad: A Neuroscientist Just Tricked 4 Dodgy Journals Into Accepting a Fake Paper on 'Midi-Chlorians'
Somebody submitted a paper on midichlorians to a whole bunch of journals and it actually got accepted by 4 of them. They basically took the Wikipedia article on mitochondria and changed it to be about midichlorians, with a bunch of Star Wars quotes and references thrown in.
PI: "Hey I've got an idea to reduce the legitimacy of some dodgy journals"
Grad Student: "There's only like a 1% chance that'll work"
PI: "Never tell me the odds"

Reactions: 2 users
This is both hilarious and sad: A Neuroscientist Just Tricked 4 Dodgy Journals Into Accepting a Fake Paper on 'Midi-Chlorians'
Somebody submitted a paper on midichlorians to a whole bunch of journals and it actually got accepted by 4 of them. They basically took the Wikipedia article on mitochondria and changed it to be about midichlorians, with a bunch of Star Wars quotes and references thrown in.
PI: This is going to be the funniest thing ever
Grad student: There's literally no way this will work
PI: YOU UNDERESTIMATE MY POWER!!!!!!
maxresdefault.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
PI: "Hey I've got an idea to reduce the legitimacy of some dodgy journals"
Grad Student: "There's only like a 1% chance that'll work"
PI: "Never tell me the odds"
PI: This is going to be the funniest thing ever
Grad student: There's literally no way this will work
PI: YOU UNDERESTIMATE MY POWER!!!!!!
maxresdefault.jpg

Speaking of neuroscientist...

1500909819-20170724.png

Reactions: 2 users
@Lawper @Matthew9Thirtyfive

Maybe I'm just being dense, but is there a decent way to diagram a set C=A∪B st A∩B=∅?

All I can think of is making a pie chart-shaped thing with half A and half B and just putting a bold outline around the outside border with an arrow pointing to it that says "C"

@Lawper @Matthew9Thirtyfive

Maybe I'm just being dense, but is there a decent way to diagram a set C=A∪B st A∩B=∅?

All I can think of is making a pie chart-shaped thing with half A and half B and just putting a bold outline around the outside border with an arrow pointing to it that says "C"

What does st mean? A∩B=∅ means there is nothing in common to both, while C=A∪B means what's in C = what's in A + what's in B. So having both is two circles attached to each other with no intersection/overlap and C is the border and shaded regions of A and B.

At least in probability, P(C) = P(A)+P(B)

What does st mean? A∩B=∅ means there is nothing in common to both, while C=A∪B means what's in C = what's in A + what's in B. So having both is two circles attached to each other with no intersection/overlap and C is the border and shaded regions of A and B.

At least in probability, P(C) = P(A)+P(B)
I was more referring to a set diagram. I actually think I answered my own question though. It seems that the convention in set diagrams is that the containing set needs not to be the same visual size of the contained set, even if the two sets are equal.

Anybody interested in some challenge problems? There's a pretty cool story behind them. Well is not as much cool as it is terrible, but it is interesting.

"Is"? Are you taking the MCAT in the future- I thought you were wrapping up senior year and applying this cycle?
No, I'm actually just starting senior year and I'll apply next cycle. Publications and all that.

As a 1 year member of SDN today, I would like to thank all of the little people who helped me get this far. I couldn't have done it without your love and support!

Reactions: 4 users