Forum Members *~*~*~*~Official Pre-Allo Social Thread~*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@tessellations bump!

not-the-type.png

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'd be starting orientation tomorrow if I didn't have to defer. Kind of bittersweet.

I'd be starting orientation tomorrow if I didn't have to defer. Kind of bittersweet.

We have two orientations. One is Thursday supposedly, and the other is August 23. I was told that once my check in is complete, I can pretty much just chill (which weirded me out, since the military is not usually like that), but I just got an email muster lol. We'll see what that means.

I'm wondering what the effect of med school will be on my Overwatch rank

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
The amount of overwatch I play while on break compared to while taking classes in undergrad is crazy. I can only imagine what it'll be like in med school - probably a somewhat similar experience, tbh. If anything, I should be better about incorporating into my life since I'll literally go weeks without playing it.

I hope med school doesn't make it impossible for me to keep building furniture. I went from a gamer to a carpenter lol.
IDK, Anatomy is currently preventing me from completing simple tasks. But in all seriousness you may have to give it up since you have to spend time with the family as well.

IDK, Anatomy is currently preventing me from completing simple tasks. But in all seriousness you may have to give it up since you have to spend time with the family as well.

I was able to spend time with my family while working 80+ hours per week and finishing my degree. I just got no sleep. I'm not willing to do that in med school, but there are always weekends and the occasionally night. If I find it too difficult, I will sacrifice building for family.

I'm about to start a dining room table.

I was able to spend time with my family while working 80+ hours per week and finishing my degree. I just got no sleep. I'm not willing to do that in med school, but there are always weekends and the occasionally night. If I find it too difficult, I will sacrifice building for family.

I'm about to start a dining room table.
I am a week in and already feel massively behind, I have been told this feeling never goes away. Any time I do get or I feel burnt out I try to spend with my family. I am not saying it cant be done. I would wait till the results of the first exam to figure out if what you are doing is cutting it. and then add hobbies etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a week in and already feel massively behind, I have been told this feeling never goes away. Any time I do get or I feel burnt out I try to spend with my family. I am not saying it cant be done. I would wait till the results of the first exam to figure out if what you are doing is cutting it. and then add hobbies etc.

Yeah that's what I'm planning on doing. I'm planning on finishing any projects I have going before class starts so I can focus on school.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Last edited:
Stop attacking me.

I actually first made a stupid post because I didn't understand that Lawper just randomly tags people. Then I figured it out but since SDN doesn't allow you to delete posts I had to edit it. But obviously I had nothing to say.
I was joking, not attacking you. I just thought it was funny that your name was hat and that you were praising a hat centric cartoon. I was implying you are trying to forward the agenda of Big-hat and the hat-industrial complex.

Reactions: 1 users

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Just because I have received $200 million dollars in speaking fees from the hat industry does not mean I have in any way compromised my principles. To suggest that I have is nothing more than slanderous innuendo.
#hatpride

Anyone read anything good recently?

I'm currently reading The Knife Man which is a biography of John Hunter. It's pretty good. I've also just finished reading what if? by Randall Munroe and Our Mathematical Universe by Max Tegmark. Both of those are very good, but don't read Tegmark unless you're willing to change how you view the universe, because he provides excellent evidence for multiverse theory and how an increasingly larger majority of cosmologists are accepting that we live in at least a level one or two multiverse. Out there stuff.

I'm currently reading The Knife Man which is a biography of John Hunter. It's pretty good. I've also just finished reading what if? by Randall Munroe and Our Mathematical Universe by Max Tegmark. Both of those are very good, but don't read Tegmark unless you're willing to change how you view the universe, because he provides excellent evidence for multiverse theory and how an increasingly larger majority of cosmologists are accepting that we live in at least a level one or two multiverse. Out there stuff.

a_bunch_of_rocks.png

The Remembrance of Earths past series was very good, from chinese author Cixin Liu. If you like hard sci fi and physics you will enjoy it.

Temporary People by Deepak Unnikrishnan (sorry I definitely butchered that last name) was really good, very emotional. It's an experimental novel about migrant workers in the Persian Gulf. Magical realism, poetry, prose, interviews, fables, satire, all rolled up into one.

I'm currently reading Madness In Civilization by Scull which exhaustively documents the history of mental illness in the West. It's a long book and I've been reading it on and off for like a year. Highly recommend if medical histories interest you.

I've also been reading "In Parentheses" bun David Jones, a long form English poem about fighting in WW1. Very challenging read but some of the prose can be beautiful and terrifying at the same time. Here's an excerpt from an early part of the book where the main character faces chemical weapons for the first time.

"He stood alone on the stones, his mess-tin spilled at his feet. Out of the vortex, rifling the air it came - bright, brass-shod, Pandoran, with all-filling screaming the howling crescendo's up-piling snapt. The universal world, breath-held, one half second, a bludgeoned stillness. Then the pent violence realeased a consumation of all burstings out, all sudden up-rendings and rivings-through - all taking-out of vents - all barrier-breaking, all unmaking. Pernitric begetting - the dissolving and splitting of solid things. In which unearthing aftermath, John Bull picked up his mess-tin and hurried within; ashen, huddled, waited in the dismal straw. Behind 'E' Battery, fifty yards down the road, a great many mangolds uprooted, pulped, congealed with chemical earth, spattered and made slippery the rigid boards leading to the emplacement. The sap of vegetables slobbered the spotless breech-block of no. 3 gun."

I recently read Better for All the World: The Secret History of Forced Sterilization and America's Quest for Racial Purity by Harry Bruinius. It tells the history of the largely forgotten eugenics movement in the United States. If you like bioethics and American history it's a fascinating and sometimes horrifying read. You'll never look at Kellogg's and Cold Spring Harbor the same again. I also can't believe how I never really learned that much about this side of American history.

I recently read Better for All the World: The Secret History of Forced Sterilization and America's Quest for Racial Purity by Harry Bruinius. It tells the history of the largely forgotten eugenics movement in the United States. If you like bioethics and American history it's a fascinating and sometimes horrifying read. You'll never look at Kellogg's and Cold Spring Harbor the same again. I also can't believe how I never really learned that much about this side of American history.

Siddhartha Mulherjee talks about it a bit in The Gene. Crazy ****.

Has anyone here watched the HBO show Westworld? I finally watched and finished the first season and holy cow it was amazing. Highly recommend it to anyone who likes sci-fi.

Has anyone here watched the HBO show Westworld? I finally watched and finished the first season and holy cow it was amazing. Highly recommend it to anyone who likes sci-fi.
It was done really well. I enjoyed it thoroughly. Apparently it is a remake of a move or show in the 60's/70's.