Forum Members *~*~*~*~Official Pre-Allo Social Thread~*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm pretty sure there are none out there. If this hypothesis is correct, Bill's and Hillary's nonsense would have found them already.
You're not wrong.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
This whole thing is just absolute madness. Makes me feel pretty damn scared.

@Lawper @Cigar @eteshoe @cactusman @Endoxifen

random entertainment~~~

upload_2017-8-12_23-18-54.png

upload_2017-8-12_23-19-23.png

and just because i sometimes feel like calvin
upload_2017-8-12_23-28-6.png

Reactions: 3 users
I think the death count has increased to 3

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Not surprised. In the video, the dingus drove his car into another car and pushed that vehicle through a large group of people. Very messed up.

@tessellations
This is really just par for the course. A year or two ago, BLM supporters were running around beating Bosnians to death with hammers. Then cop killing groups were executing cops in their cars. Now White Nationalists are running over counterprotestors. And before BLM, it was someone else.

Just keep your head on a swivel. This stuff has been going on for a while.

Not surprised. In the video, the dingus drove his car into another car and pushed that vehicle through a large group of people. Very messed up.

@tessellations
This is really just par for the course. A year or two ago, BLM supporters were running around beating Bosnians to death with hammers. Then cop killing groups were executing cops in their cars. Now White Nationalists are running over counterprotestors. And before BLM, it was someone else.

Just keep your head on a swivel. This stuff has been going on for a while.
Let's not conflate the number of blm deaths with far right extremist related deaths.

Who is More of a Threat: Far-Right or Muslim Extremists?

Reactions: 1 users
Let's not conflate the number of blm deaths with far right extremist related deaths.

Who is More of a Threat: Far-Right or Muslim Extremists?

No one is conflating anything. BLM supporters killed dozens of people and over a dozen cops. White Nationalists have killed hundreds at least.

But if you want to take BLM in context with all Muslim supporters, we can do that. There are thousands of deaths at their hands.

Quick note: I'm not anti-Muslim, nor do I think all Muslims are inherently violent, nor do I think they are our greatest domestic threat (foreign is a different story, in which case radical Muslim terrorist groups are a huge threat).

No one is conflating anything. BLM supporters killed dozens of people and over a dozen cops. White Nationalists have killed hundreds at least.

But if you want to take BLM in context with all Muslim supporters, we can do that. There are thousands of deaths at their hands.

Quick note: I'm not anti-Muslim, nor do I think all Muslims are inherently violent, nor do I think they are our greatest domestic threat (foreign is a different story, in which case radical Muslim terrorist groups are a huge threat).
Your initial comment seemed straight out of a fox news discussion panel. Where you focused more on BLM deaths vs actual extreme right wing deaths. Mentioning the two together is usually a tactic to say " look the other side is just as bad". Therefore my concern about conflating the two together.

I am unsure how you are connecting BLM with all muslims. Is that because some black people are muslim?

On a totally more vanilla note.
So remember that license photo mishap I posted about last-last week? So apparently when I prepaid the fee for my test they printed my liscence the same day with that awful permit pic. I went back there again last-last Wednesday and they said that's what happened and that I needed to order a license duplicate. Cost 20 bucks and a new pic, and they said it'd be here in 7-10 business days. It's been 7 business days..... I'm lying in wait...
At least now I know what happened, and since I payed for it they have to give it now. The new pic came out great and actually looks like me.

Your initial comment seemed straight out of a fox news discussion panel. Where you focused more on BLM deaths vs actual extreme right wing deaths. Mentioning the two together is usually a tactic to say " look the other side is just as bad". Therefore my concern about conflating the two together.

I am unsure how you are connecting BLM with all muslims. Is that because some black people are muslim?

I think you misunderstood me. I never equated BLM with all Muslims. I mentioned BLM violence and you linked that to Muslim violence, which is not what I implied or anything.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone read anything good recently?
I'm just catching up after being away for several weeks, but I read John Adams by David McCullough, The Martian Chronicles by Bradbury, and The Screwtape Letters by CS Lewis. And Einstein's Dreams by Alan Lightman. Those are all pretty different from each other, but I would highly recommend all of them.

EDIT: I'll give reasons why I liked each of the books. If you love history, you probably already know David McCullough and his very high-quality work. John Adams has always been one of my heroes and a bit underrated, so this book was great for me. They did an HBO miniseries based on this biography 10ish years ago.
The Martian Chronicles is a collection of short stories about humanity's first contact with Mars and the subsequent colonization of it. Like anything Bradbury, it's a little dark and can keep you guessing. It's also very well-written and easy to digest because most of the stories are self-contained, though they all tie together.
CS Lewis is another fantastic author, though most of his work has some pretty strong Christian theological overtones to it. I personally found The Screwtape Letters to have a fascinating perspective on human nature and not to be quite as much of an argument towards Christianity as The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, for instance.
Einstein's Dreams will only take you a couple of hours to read--it's pretty short. It's also a bit of a short story collection, where each story is a fictional dream that Einstein had while working as a patent office clerk in Switzerland. Each of the dreams represents the town he lived in through a different concept of time (Alan Lightman was a physicist before he turned to writing). This one is a quick read but also well worth your time.

Last edited:
Hey guys after a much-needed vacation I'm back! I went off to a wedding in Ohio, then went backpacking and stuff in Utah and New Mexico, then my computer broke. Now I'm back, before I get to join the ranks of people switching coasts--my wife just got an awesome job out in New England making over triple what we made combined last year!

Hey guys after a much-needed vacation I'm back! I went off to a wedding in Ohio, then went backpacking and stuff in Utah and New Mexico, then my computer broke. Now I'm back, before I get to join the ranks of people switching coasts--my wife just got an awesome job out in New England making over triple what we made combined last year!

Where did you go in New Mexico?

What exactly were you doing in New Mexico?!
walter-white-saymyname1.gif

@Cyberdyne 101 @Matthew9Thirtyfive I went camping/backpacking down there with my brother and with a friend. My friend is at Los Alamos as an intern, so I decided that visiting him was a good an excuse as any to go enjoy the area. We went up by Williams Lake/Wheeler Peak and spent a couple of days exploring that area, then we got lazy and just went to a campsite kind of close by near Taos.

Even though I knew that we were going to be in mountain/highlands, I had been watching too much Breaking Bad (and the weather, to be fair to myself) and came prepared for being in the desert. Instead, the warmest it got was 70 and I'm pretty sure it hit freezing one night. It also rained every day, and my rain fly got completely saturated and was beginning to leak by the last night. I would do it again in a heartbeat though, it was super fun.

My family had been vacationing near Bear Lake, UT, and the drive from Bear Lake to Taos was one of the most beautiful drives I have ever been on. Bear Lake is gorgeous, then we drove down past Park City, then past Arches/Canyonlands national parks, then through Colorado, then down into NM through Carson National Forest. Every time I go out to the Rockies (or just the Mountain West in general) I kind of have to ask myself why I don't just become a mountain man.

@Cyberdyne 101 @Matthew9Thirtyfive I went camping/backpacking down there with my brother and with a friend. My friend is at Los Alamos as an intern, so I decided that visiting him was a good an excuse as any to go enjoy the area. We went up by Williams Lake/Wheeler Peak and spent a couple of days exploring that area, then we got lazy and just went to a campsite kind of close by near Taos.

Even though I knew that we were going to be in mountain/highlands, I had been watching too much Breaking Bad (and the weather, to be fair to myself) and came prepared for being in the desert. Instead, the warmest it got was 70 and I'm pretty sure it hit freezing one night. It also rained every day, and my rain fly got completely saturated and was beginning to leak by the last night. I would do it again in a heartbeat though, it was super fun.

My family had been vacationing near Bear Lake, UT, and the drive from Bear Lake to Taos was one of the most beautiful drives I have ever been on. Bear Lake is gorgeous, then we drove down past Park City, then past Arches/Canyonlands national parks, then through Colorado, then down into NM through Carson National Forest. Every time I go out to the Rockies (or just the Mountain West in general) I kind of have to ask myself why I don't just become a mountain man.

Rookie mistake. My wife is from Santa Fe, so when we went we were prepared.

Man, can't believe I'm starting my final year of undergrad in two weeks. Oh how the time flies...

Reactions: 2 users
I see bad math in movies/tv a lot. It usually involves physicists doing a bunch of complex looking math on a chalk board that makes no sense.

Even worst are the people who do the equations on a clear board/window. Seems like the most asinine way to stay focused on the task at hand if you see all the stuff on the other side.

Even worst are the people who do the equations on a clear board/window. Seems like the most asinine way to stay focused on the task at hand if you see all the stuff on the other side.

Yeah I never got that. It just makes it harder to read and focus. And I mean honestly, I've almost never done the whole chalkboard thing anyway. If I'm doing any sort of math crunching like that, I'll hop on Mathematica or WolframAlpha. If I have a moment of inspiration, I can do it on the app.

The only time I did a lot of pen and paper work was doing game theory work. And even that, I used some simulators a lot of the time. Working out the payoffs by hand helps me work it out sometimes though.

We use a web based poll system in our classes i think its called participoll.

Well everybody, I'm extremely happy to announce that little miss freak8 is here and is making me not regret the deferment one bit.

Reactions: 6 users
I used one in undergrad like 5 years ago lol, but in med school we use an app called Poll Everywhere instead

We use a web based poll system in our classes i think its called participoll.

I don't know what system she uses. She just sent an email out to the class telling us to bring our clickers to the first lecture. I've never used them before. What do you do with them?

Well everybody, I'm extremely happy to announce that little miss freak8 is here and is making me not regret the deferment one bit.

Congrats! Your life will never be the same in a good way. Welcome to fatherhood.

I don't know what system she uses. She just sent an email out to the class telling us to bring our clickers to the first lecture. I've never used them before. What do you do with them?

Hopefully she specified that iClicker is the right brand. They're easy to use. You register your school ID with your clicker number online so that whenever you send in responses from the clicker, your instructor has your answer with your name. In class you sync the clicker to the instructor's device and then just select multi choice answers. The instructor will probably give you instructions for registering and syncing.

Congrats! Sleep as much as possible if you can the first night/day. Dont feel bad having the hospital nurses people help out .

Congrats to you and your wife!!!! I hope you have a great year with your little one before the craziness of med school!

Hopefully she specified that iClicker is the right brand. They're easy to use. You register your school ID with your clicker number online so that whenever you send in responses from the clicker, your instructor has your answer with your name. In class you sync the clicker to the instructor's device and then just select multi choice answers. The instructor will probably give you instructions for registering and syncing.

I guess I just don't get the point of it haha. I'm old school.

I guess I just don't get the point of it haha. I'm old school.
It is a good tool to see if people are following you/ paying attention. pop quizzes, quick surveys etc. Its not to terrible and makes the class a little more interactive compared to just passive note taking.

Reactions: 4 users