Forum Members *~*~*~*~Official Pre-Allo Social Thread~*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What do you guys think of wearing grey micro herringbone to a couple of my interviews?

Members don't see this ad.

show us a picture of the stuff.

Sorry for the poor picture--it's currently getting tailored but does fit well. I bought it very cheaply on ebay more to wear to weddings, etc, but it fits as well as anything I have. The herringbone is slightly more obvious in person and has hints of brown, but it does look nice in a unique way. Thoughts?

Screen Shot 2017-10-07 at 4.08.21 AM.png

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry for the poor picture--it's currently getting tailored but does fit well. I bought it very cheaply on ebay more to wear to weddings, etc, but it fits as well as anything I have. The herringbone is slightly more obvious in person and has hints of brown, but it does look nice in a unique way. Thoughts?

View attachment 224143
I cant tell because of the picture taken of a screen. Why not screenshot? Dark gray is an acceptable color.

why does this thread say "Forum Members" in red?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just when I was thinking Hmm how can I get sucked into this god-forsaken site even more? I found this thread.
R.I.P. grades.
Heyo pre-allonites

I'm so tired... it has been such a long day.

How is everyone on SDN tonight?

Okay you guys.
I got my stem cell test back.
I got like a 48. The average was like a 60 for UGrads, but since this a 4000 lvl class that means many of those 60+'s were seniors. The prof gave a makeup assignment ( which I'm doing now) , that he'll use to boost our grades ( mine will work out to be like 70 ish). There are two more tests and the final, and he said that if you show massive improvement ( as many people, especially juniors, do), he'll give you a good grade ( as in, he won't let the low first score kill you i.e if you would have an A- but the first test brings you to a B- he'd give you an A-, especially if you ace the final).
I feel like once I realized I wasn't prepared I panicked and messed up stuff that I knew how to do, so it was just a train WRECK.
I'm trying to do as well as I can on the assignment and not freak out but man...I feel pretty bummed right now. This was definitely the worst test in all of UGrad.

I actually took my first Orgo II test , and while it didn't go great it didn't feel terrible either. It was on Reactions of Alchohols, Ether/Epoxide synthesis, and IR sepectroscopy. IR is so much memorization, and I feel like we covered it too close to the test to justify all the questions she put in the subject area, but I feel like I got most of them right. It felt waaayyyy better than this test...

Also there's something in my eye and I can't get it out ! I get ridiculous dry eyes, so when something gets lodged in there it takes a while to move. >_< It's just making me more upset.

You know how sometimes you find yourself somewhere and you don't know how you got there? I just submitted an application for a genetic epidemiology PhD in the UK. It'll be super cool, but like... med school. It sort of feels like I went out to buy a car and ended up with a degree in mechanical engineering.

Ok, quick opinion poll. Is it worth putting "institutional endorsee/nominee" for the big UK scholarships on your CV? I'm working on my CV for a class and am taking to opportunity to do real updates. What does everyone think?

Last edited:
Ok, quick opinion poll. Is it worth putting "institutional endorsee/nominee" for the big UK scholarships on your CV? I'm updating my CV for a class and am taking to opportunity to do updates. What does everyone think?
update everything is one school of thought.

What up guys

I’m not on here often anymore after the SDN app stopped working

Med school is going well, except I hate embryology. Fortunately it’s spread out through our curriculum instead of being a standalone course.
Why do you hate embryology? Just curious

Haha. Interestingly, because of inflationary theory and the infinite nature of our universe, it is guaranteed that there exist infinite observable universes just like ours in which there are individuals just like us laughing at this same comic--and trying to figure out which one is the real one.
I am. I came first

Does anyone know how deep into the mathematics an MPhil in epidemiology (UK's MPH) will go? I love that stuff and want to do more in grad school.

Does anyone know how deep into the mathematics an MPhil in epidemiology (UK's MPH) will go? I love that stuff and want to do more in grad school.
At least in the US MPH's can be as math heavy or light as you like. Obviously not pure math equivalent, but you could take lots of epidemiology, statistics classes with a thesis focused on something like algorithms for detecting the spread of different diseases using different models. A large portion will depend on having someone in the department who will be supportive or able to give feedback.

At least in the US MPH's can be as math heavy or light as you like. Obviously not pure math equivalent, but you could take lots of epidemiology, statistics classes with a thesis focused on something like algorithms for detecting the spread of different diseases using different models. A large portion will depend on having someone in the department who will be supportive or able to give feedback.
That's good to hear! I decided to go after an MPhil before a PhD because I think I need a proper education before diving into the real graduate work. Part of that, for me at least, is understanding exactly how all of the statistical tests work. I started epidemiology research pretty late and the statistics classes I've taken in college have been pretty empirically focused, which I find really annoying. I'm glad to know that I'll have the opportunity to really understand the math.

That's good to hear! I decided to go after an MPhil before a PhD because I think I need a proper education before diving into the real graduate work. Part of that, for me at least, is understanding exactly how all of the statistical tests work. I started epidemiology research pretty late and the statistics classes I've taken in college have been pretty empirically focused, which I find really annoying. I'm glad to know that I'll have the opportunity to really understand the math.

The math isn't too crazy. You could pick it up in a few grad courses.

Reactions: 1 user